PDA

View Full Version : Leopard Still on Schedule for "Spring 2007"

MacRumors
Mar 25, 2007, 01:13 AM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Despite some questionable rumors (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/03/23/mac-os-x-10-5-leopard-delayed-until-october/) that Apple was delaying Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard until October, Jupiter Research's Michael Gartenberg reports (http://weblogs.jupiterresearch.com/analysts/gartenberg/archives/2007/03/is_leopard_dela.html) that an Apple representative "confirmed the reports are wrong and Leopard is still scheduled to ship in this spring as they previously announced."

Again, "Spring 2007" gives us a timeframe up to and including June, which is when the Worldwide Developer's Conference takes place.

Meanwhile, there has also been recent speculation (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/03/22/mac-os-x-10-5-leopard-still-waiting/) that Leopard is not far enough along to ship in April as (Page 2) rumored (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/03/12/leopard-to-pounce-in-mid-late-april/).

Multimedia
Mar 25, 2007, 01:17 AM
June 11 looks more and more like Leopard & Santa Rosa in one big Super-Duper SteveNote.

ipedro
Mar 25, 2007, 01:22 AM
I'm hoping to get upgrade my creative communications business with an 8-core MacPro and Leopard... a MacBook Pro just doesn't cut it anymore.

June seems like a good time to do it. :D

GanleyBurger
Mar 25, 2007, 01:30 AM
I sold my early 2006 intel mac recently to be in a position to buy a brand new computer when the newest product line hits (e.g. newest chips, model, etc.).

Does this mean that if Mac might delay OS X 10.5 potentially until June that we may not get a new product line until May or June also? :mad: That would suuuuuuuuck!!! Yes, I hope the 8 core tower comes out in April (or before), but could this potentially mean 2 or 3 more months for MBPs or 24" imacs are updated???

I just can't see Mac releasing new Macs with 10.4.9. Also... why don't they just call the new operating system OS X 11.0 ????

Eidorian
Mar 25, 2007, 01:32 AM
Does 10.4.10 seem more likely now? (Barring the strange numbering. :rolleyes: )

I predicted a Leopard/Santa Rosa tie in awhile back.

bdkennedy1
Mar 25, 2007, 01:36 AM
Well, Apple Said that the Apple TV's were supposed to ship on time until the date they were supposed to ship and then delayed them 3 weeks.

Wild-Bill
Mar 25, 2007, 01:36 AM
June 11 looks more and more like Leopard & Santa Rosa in one big Super-Duper SteveNote.

Well I think we all remember the last SteveNote. A disappointment for most. If I have to wait until June for a new Mac Pro I'm not going to be happy.

(yeah, I'm sure Steve is worried that Wild Bill won't get his Mac Pro in a timely manner...:rolleyes: )

splashman
Mar 25, 2007, 01:37 AM
If Apple had any doubts that Leopard would be ready for the Spring ship date, they would certainly not mislead the press at this late date. Ergo, I believe it will ship at WWDC. No reason to ship sooner.

I'm greatly looking forward to watching all the naysayers (Enderle, et al) eat crow following WWDC. I suggest everyone create a bookmark folder called "Negative Nellies" and fill it with links to the Leopard doubters. Then we can all have fun posting our favorites in the "Leopard available now" comment thread in June.

GanleyBurger
Mar 25, 2007, 01:38 AM
Honestly... I could care less about a new operating system....

I want the newest chips, memory and models...

Can I get a witness !?!?!?!?!? :cool:

NewSc2
Mar 25, 2007, 01:45 AM

Actually... I'm just the opposite. Couldn't care less about new models, but a new OSX = :D

iMacZealot
Mar 25, 2007, 01:48 AM
But what about Final Cut Studio 6? Isn't that supposed to require Leopard (among other things)? And isn't that out in April? How, then, could Leopard ship in June?

I seriously am going to NEED NEED FCS6 because I'm too limited by FCE 3.5 and I'm going to start doing a lot of work (paid work, that is) soon.

siurpeeman
Mar 25, 2007, 01:50 AM
Actually... I'm just the opposite. Couldn't care less about new models, but a new OSX = :D

i agree. i'm not in the market for a new mac (actually, i'm in the market for a used/refurb one), so all i'm wanting right now is a bit of leopard/ilife/iwork.

GanleyBurger
Mar 25, 2007, 01:53 AM

It's just that each time a new OS X update comes out, the music software companies, the audio hardware companies, and the virtual instrument companies usually take 2 to 4 weeks to offer a counter update. Nothing is more frustrating to than having to back-date OS X because third parties are playing catch-up. If Mac realeses 10.5, it's probably another month before several 3rd party companies are totally up to date...

Just my 2 cents :)

Multimedia
Mar 25, 2007, 01:59 AM
But what about Final Cut Studio 6? Isn't that supposed to require Leopard (among other things)? And isn't that out in April? How, then, could Leopard ship in June?

I seriously am going to NEED NEED FCS6 because I'm too limited by FCE 3.5 and I'm going to start doing a lot of work (paid work, that is) soon.They're gonna reveal it April 15. But I doubt it'll ship before Leopard does. Same thing for the 8 core Mac Pro. We'll need Leopard to properly manage all those cores. Tiger doesn't have that intelligence built into it.

GanleyBurger
Mar 25, 2007, 02:06 AM
i agree. i'm not in the market for a new mac (actually, i'm in the market for a used/refurb one.

I just sold my early 2006 Core Duo Imac. Even with the Dual 2.0 Intel chip, it was quite slow (even with two gigs of ram and the 256 graphics card). I know that sounds crazy:eek: , but Core Duo was hardly "zippy" at all.

I, too, would love to buy a refurb or new system now with Core 2 Duo, but with the release of the newest OS X, I am afraid that Leopard is really only going to perform greatly on the newest technology.

Multimedia
Mar 25, 2007, 02:14 AM
I just sold my early 2006 Core Duo Imac. Even with the 2.0 Dual Intel chip, it was slow... and it had two gigs of ram and the 256 graphics card. I know it sounds crazy:eek: , but Core Duo was hardly "zippy" at all. I, too, would love to buy a new or refurb system now with Core 2 Duo, but with the release of the newest OS X, I am afraid that it is really going to only perform greatly on the newest technology.I don't believe that. I think Leopard will perform very well on G4 and G5 PPC Macs as well. The base of PPC Macs is still the dominant part of Apple's base. Of course the newest Intel hardware will be the fastest. But I don't think Leopard will be a disappointment to anyone with an older PPC Mac as well.

Telp
Mar 25, 2007, 02:17 AM
We all knew it wasn't true, but reasurrance is nice ! :)

GanleyBurger
Mar 25, 2007, 02:22 AM
I don't believe that. I think Leopard will perform very well on G4 and G5 PPC Macs as well. The base of PPC Macs is still the dominant part of Apple's base. Of course the newest Intel hardware will be the fastest. But I don't think Leopard will be a disappointment to anyone with an older PPC Mac as well.

I agree that G4s and G5s will do well with it. It just seems that the Intel chips, which should be lightning fast, are operating more like the PCs they originated in. Vista wants a ton of memory to run. It now seems that because Macs are Intel based they are beginning to require the "want more eye candy, get faster chips & memory" approach. :mad:

MadDoc
Mar 25, 2007, 02:28 AM
If Apple ships Leopard at WWDC, I'm switching to Ubuntu for good. As a premier developer the builds have been nothing short of disgusting. The amount of data from Apple sucks, and the feature set is less than impressive. And with coreanimation so many useful GUI eyecandy (that actually improves user experience can be done) that hasn't been... The UI needs an overhaul and lots of Apple slickness. Even Ubuntu with XGL finally shows how useful fantastic eyecandy can be, it makes OS X feel boring.

And I'm a die hard mac fanatic. Leopard is shaping up to be a boring update.

If it's shipping in June it's the 30th, because nothing is more of a slap in the face to DEVELOPERS than to release Leopard at WWDC. WWDC is all about learning to write your apps to take advantage of Leopard. If I'm not giving anytime to take advantage of new features, then I don't want to developer for a company who values it's developers like garabage

The finder is trash, even in Leopard networks hasn't been fixed. I can go to the command line, mount network volumes and browse them instantly, but try that in the finder and it goes beachball city. Disgusting. Windows XP is better at browsing network shares, and Vista is damn good at it. I can browse Apple's own shares faster on a $700 dell notebook with Vista, while my Mac Pro tower, and MacBook Pro beach ball the whole way through. Apple fix the ****ing finder.

Mate, pick your toys up and put them back in the pram. Talk about melodrama :)

Ubuntu is not the be all and end all of OSs (I have been using it for ages) and has far more glitches than OS X. As for eye candy - who gives a ******. I would like to see an update to the UI but it is not really necessary - M$ have done just that with Vista as a way of masking that it's still a dated OS under the hood.

Leopard will be released (or at least the shipping date will be) at WWDC. Period. There is absolutely no chance of it happening earlier. Apple have told us Spring. June is in Spring. The invites they sent out are Leopard themed. Look how much pre-warning they have given for WWDC (I know it's an annual thing but the invites went out months ago). Do you honestly think Apple are going to squeeze in a rushed event just for Leopard? No, they aren't. Why bother? WWDC is the perfect event for it.

As for all this cloak and dagger stuff from Apple regarding secret features - this is Apple for goodness sake - IT IS WHAT THEY DO. I suspect we will see 2, 3, maybe 4 new apps (God knows what) that have been fully tested internally (just like iTunes, Mail, Pages, Keynote, Safari were).

We will see a new Finder. Trust me ;)

*rant off*

MadDoc,

GanleyBurger
Mar 25, 2007, 02:41 AM
As for eye candy - who gives a ******. ,

I sure don't... I wish that Mac would remember that speed is king... that people want the 8 cores for speed... new chips for speed.. better memory technology for higher speeds... but everyone keeps making more apps with "eye candy" to slow down the new technology. My son's 1995 HP with a Pentium II and like no memory and windows 98 is so lightning fast, it's sick... I'm not kidding.

I wish Mac would offer a version of OS X with all of the bells, whistles and eye-candy as an optional setting... and I don't mean just turning off the animations in the dock.

iAlan
Mar 25, 2007, 02:47 AM
Woohooo!

Totall agree!

I think (hope?) Apple has a few things up there sleeve and we will see a slew of software and product announcements between now and WWDC

- the 'Final Cut' package/s
- Leopard
- iLife - including major revamp and spreadsheeting (and no more 'year' included in the title) to take advantage of Leopard enhancements
- new DVD Studio Pro (to take advantage of Leopard enhancements)
- new MacPro's
- new midrange headless Mac (somewhere between a Mac mini and a MacPro - could be an iMac-equivaent without a built in screen)
- fullscreen iPod - which will need some new Leopard capability for full functionality
- iPhone (as we know!)
- and something we haven't really thoufg of as yet...a new QuickTake?

iMacZealot
Mar 25, 2007, 02:56 AM
This may sound silly, but I think Leopard will have the "matte" interface found in iTunes 7. If you switch from the classic Aqua appearance to Graphite and whip out the ol' Digital Color Meter, you'll find that the :apple: in the top right are the same colors used in the scrollers of iTunes 7. I wouldn't think this change would cause very many 3rd party software issues because software doesn't really care what the scrollers or buttons really look like... it's not like they'll be a different shape....

Eidorian
Mar 25, 2007, 03:00 AM
They're gonna reveal it April 15. But I doubt it'll ship before Leopard does. Same thing for the 8 core Mac Pro. We'll need Leopard to properly manage all those cores. Tiger doesn't have that intelligence built into it.I believe OS X can handle at least up to 8 processors currently

I don't believe that. I think Leopard will perform very well on G4 and G5 PPC Macs as well. The base of PPC Macs is still the dominant part of Apple's base. Of course the newest Intel hardware will be the fastest. But I don't think Leopard will be a disappointment to anyone with an older PPC Mac as well.Quartz Extreme and Core Image will be the deal breaker for me on older hardware.

iMikeT
Mar 25, 2007, 03:38 AM
It was only a matter of time when Apple would respond to this.

Multimedia
Mar 25, 2007, 03:56 AM
I believe OS X can handle at least up to 8 processors currently

Quartz Extreme and Core Image will be the deal breaker for me on older hardware.Yes, I know. But the way it "handles" 8 cores is not as sophisticated as the ways Leopard will.

I agree it will be a bummer to miss all the new stuff that will be in Intel Only Macs. After all, Apple is interested in selling computers too. ;)

Eidorian
Mar 25, 2007, 04:23 AM
Yes, I know. But the way it "handles" 8 cores is not as sophisticated as the ways Leopard will.

I agree it will be a bummer to miss all the new stuff that will be in Intel Only Macs. After all, Apple is interested in selling computers too. ;)How is Leopard's thread handling better then Tiger's?

giganten
Mar 25, 2007, 04:34 AM
Good news :D .
Release on WWDC then?

Multimedia
Mar 25, 2007, 04:41 AM
How is Leopard's thread handling better then Tiger's?I don't know yet. But I feel confident there'll be a number of ways it will be able to assist in the symetrical allocation of resources among all those cores, and the more to come next year, better than Tiger can because Tiger wasn't optimized to deal with 4 times as many cores as were happening when it was developed. I'm looking forward to reading the 8 Core Mac Pro White Paper Apple is preparing for us now as well as the June 11 SteveNote. I'm sure it'll be a page turner we won't be able to put down. ;) :eek:

Analog Kid
Mar 25, 2007, 05:20 AM
Just like "I'll have it done this week" means it'll be in your inbox before 8am Monday, "released this Spring" means June 20th. Even if the seeds were coming out clean, they'd be trying to cram more into it between now and June 20. If they're having problems with the current feature set, they'll start scaling it back so they can hit June 20.

koobcamuk
Mar 25, 2007, 06:21 AM
This means I can keep my iMac ;)

twoodcc
Mar 25, 2007, 07:24 AM
Woohooo!

my thoughts as well :)

very glad to hear this. can't wait for Leopard to be released! or at least a date

trevorlsciact
Mar 25, 2007, 08:41 AM
Well I think we all remember the last SteveNote. A disappointment for most. If I have to wait until June for a new Mac Pro I'm not going to be happy.

What! people were disappointed. That keynote represented a huge change for Apple inc. née Apple Computers, inc. And the iPhone represents a huge leap in tech that will soon spread to other Apple products.

juanster
Mar 25, 2007, 08:48 AM

im withh you,, os i can just upgrade in an hour or so,, i am ecxited for leopard but not as much as i am for santa rosa

zblaxberg
Mar 25, 2007, 09:41 AM
This isn't anything new! We've known this for months now. Why debate over the article when this is common knowledge?!

Santa Rosa is tracking for may therefore you won't see it in new hardware till late may/june. There's no point in releasing leopard until wwdc so everyones gonna have to just wait till june to get everything..

MrCrowbar
Mar 25, 2007, 10:27 AM
Can I buy a Mac mini when they ship with Leopard and run Leopard on the Mini AND my Macbook?

lu0s3r322
Mar 25, 2007, 10:33 AM
doesn't it seem like DigiTimes, the source of the October rumor is almost always wrong?

dashiel
Mar 25, 2007, 10:45 AM
If Apple had any doubts that Leopard would be ready for the Spring ship date, they would certainly not mislead the press at this late date. Ergo, I believe it will ship at WWDC. No reason to ship sooner.

my, my we have short memories around here. ?tv will ship in february, just like announced... oh, well okay there's been a bit of a delay it'll happen in mid march.

other missed release dates:

the original imac
3ghz
G5 xserves
OS X (funny that most people forget OS X suffered a very similar development to vista. consistently slipping ship dates; released without some key features, server version shipped months before the consumer version, 3 years of dev time (more if you count the failed internal attempts like pink and taligent) etc...)

you can even go back the very first macintosh and see how apple kept promising a release date and then missing it.

i'm not saying it won't ship in june, i'm just saying don't believe it just because an apple spokesperson says so. i really hope it does, because my hard drive is in dire need of erasure and clean install of everything, i'm trying to avoid doing that twice.

http://www.computing.co.uk/vnunet/news/2174702/apple-brushes-tv-delay-rumors

Tom B.
Mar 25, 2007, 10:46 AM
I wish that Mac would...

Who's Mac? :rolleyes:

viperguy
Mar 25, 2007, 10:47 AM
doesn't it seem like DigiTimes, the source of the October rumor is almost always wrong?

Sometimes, maybe... I don't have much knowledge to judge them, but I don't remember of many right rumors coming from them :apple:

shawnce
Mar 25, 2007, 10:56 AM
How is Leopard's thread handling better then Tiger's?

I cannot go into details just yet but look up the concept of core/processor affinity.

shawnce
Mar 25, 2007, 10:59 AM
It just seems that the Intel chips, which should be lightning fast, are operating more like the PCs they originated in. Vista wants a ton of memory to run. It now seems that because Macs are Intel based they are beginning to require the "want more eye candy, get faster chips & memory" approach. :mad:

Hate to say it ... but you are seeing what you want to see. It isn't the reality of the situation.

shawnce
Mar 25, 2007, 11:00 AM
Can I buy a Mac mini when they ship with Leopard and run Leopard on the Mini AND my Macbook?

The install of Mac OS X you get with your Mac mini is licensed just for that system and possibly even the disc will only install on that system. Of course Apple currently doesn't do any licensing checks to enforce this.

Cult Follower
Mar 25, 2007, 11:06 AM
Well, Apple Said that the Apple TV's were supposed to ship on time until the date they were supposed to ship and then delayed them 3 weeks.

You've read my mind...They better not do it again.

iPhil
Mar 25, 2007, 11:08 AM

Mac = is the dude in limeibook86's 'tar .. :p :p

Never believed that :apple: would push back launch of leopard 'cause of vista is un-stable in boot camp..

It's not :apple:'s fault that vista isn't stable that's the fault of M$ft

shawnce
Mar 25, 2007, 11:17 AM
You've read my mind...They better not do it again.

Yeah they better ship a product that isn't ready because of a last minute issue (shipping, parts, defect, manufacturer f'up, manufacturer missed projections, etc.).

GanleyBurger
Mar 25, 2007, 11:54 AM

Apple is so focused on the iphone that in a moment of delusional-stupor I turned my fears (that Apple has forgotten they make computers) into a name change for the company... they are Mac... they are Mac... aaaaagggggghhhhhh!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Zwhaler
Mar 25, 2007, 01:02 PM

I hope! That would be soo cool, and knowing Steve, there is a good possibility that ****** goin' down!

diehardmacfan
Mar 25, 2007, 01:43 PM
the second mac pros get upgraded to 8 cores and leapord starts shipping on them i will be buying one. i am sick and tired of working on a 700G3 iBook lol i know so old fashion i really dont want to wait until june to buy one:apple:

diehardmacfan
Mar 25, 2007, 01:45 PM
i am 99.9 percent sure that on april 15th at NAB final cut exteme (a really professional version of final cut) and the 8 core mac pro to go along with it leopard would again be very nice

k2k koos
Mar 25, 2007, 02:06 PM
I'm glad my gut feelings have not eluded me, June they said, and June it is. :-)

Now all I am waiting to see is , how much of a WHOOOAAHH Leopard is going to be, a whoooaahh...... event, or a WWWWOOOOOOHOHOHOHAAAAAHH!!!!! event.

As long as it's stable, I don't care actually. Stable, and for god sake, don't mess up audio unit plugins again, Apple just did that with 10.4.9, I don't want to search for new updates again in June, July, whenever I get my hands on a copy of Leopard....

skellener
Mar 25, 2007, 02:10 PM
Am I the only one ticked off at Apple for not shipping a single new Mac in 2007? It's practically April, where are the freakin' new Macs? :mad:

BillyShears
Mar 25, 2007, 02:23 PM
Yeah they better ship a product that isn't ready because of a last minute issue (shipping, parts, defect, manufacturer f'up, manufacturer missed projections, etc.).

Or the third option which is they release it on time and without any defects.

Stella
Mar 25, 2007, 02:25 PM
They didn't say June, they said Spring ( I'm assuming your talking about OSX 10.5 - iPhone I believe they said June ).
:-)

I'm glad my gut feelings have not eluded me, June they said, and June it is. :-)

FF_productions
Mar 25, 2007, 02:26 PM
Am I the only one ticked off at Apple for not shipping a single new Mac in 2007? It's practically April, where are the freakin' new Macs? :mad:

Agreed, something is going to down at Apple.

I really hope they don't wait until JUNE to release iLife 07, that is halfway through 2007, I think April is the month it will be released as it probably won't be released at the end of this month.

nagromme
Mar 25, 2007, 02:31 PM
Agreed, something is going to down at Apple.

I really hope they don't wait until JUNE to release iLife 07, that is halfway through 2007, I think April is the month it will be released as it probably won't be released at the end of this month.

Not to change the subject, but it MIGHT make sense to release new Macs and iLife 07 at the same time as Leopard, with the new stuff pre-installed.

Not to mention, some new hardware technologies hit this year, like LED backlights, flash caching, improved integrated graphics from Intel, etc.--and those are timetables out of Apple's control but which might also be worth waiting for.

And if there ARE new machines coming then there could also be new advertising--especially if the new lines have whole new designs. In that case, it's especially important to tie them to Leopard.

A few things you can be sure of:

* Apple's hardware timetables DO have reasons behind them.

* Some of those factors are in Apple's control, some are not.

* Apple hasn't fired their Mac hardware team or slowed down their Mac R&D.

* Apple's non-Mac projects don't take staff away from the Mac side. Apple can afford employees to work on multiple products at the same time.

* Current case designs for Mac Pro, MacBook Pro, and iMac have been around a while, and won't stay the same forever. Nor will the overall look that Apple's been using.

* The iPhone is minamilist in design, yet in some ways significantly different from the round-and-squared white-and-aluminum look of everything else Apple makes.

* Some important new technologies are only now becoming available to computer makers.

* Apple's new OS isn't ready today but will be ready sometime in Spring (just confirmed by Apple).

* There WILL be new Macs coming :)

I'll further guess that some of them may have styling more like the iPhone than like past Macs. Maybe more black and chrome? Looking at the new AirPort and AppleTV we can see that the current scheme isn't gone yet--but imagine an iMac or Mac Pro tower with deep gloss black and a chrome border. I'd want one and I just bought an iMac :) (I know, Apple sometimes has one-off oddball designs. Like the two-tone TiBook which never matched any other Apple product. Or the bizarro 15" bluish-and-gray studio display.)

DsurioN
Mar 25, 2007, 03:42 PM
i agree.

1 word: WWDC.

also, i'm pretty sure apple is keeping a lot of new features in the dark, and seeding buggy builds to beta testers to find the nuisance bugs that aren't on their "new feature" priority list.

neondiet
Mar 25, 2007, 04:08 PM
However June is month 6, halfway through the year. And Apple's own built in Oxford Dictionary states that Spring is from March to May, and Summer is June through August. So if it's going to happen at a major event, then it has to be April.

cbrain
Mar 25, 2007, 04:24 PM
1 word: WWDC.

Thats four words! :p

What I do is just think that Leopard, iLife and iWork 07 are never going to come out, so that when they do come out, the surprise will be even better! :p

gothiquegirrl
Mar 25, 2007, 04:29 PM
What! people were disappointed. That keynote represented a huge change for Apple inc. née Apple Computers, inc. And the iPhone represents a huge leap in tech that will soon spread to other Apple products.

Maybe so... but I couldn't really give a flyin' pig's fart about that stupid iphone. I could have been more excited if it wasn't a phone...and it was more like $299.... but still... i'd rather have seen macs at "macworld"...

iphone should have had it's own event...IMO.

Ang

sjo
Mar 25, 2007, 05:12 PM
However June is month 6, halfway through the year. And Apple's own built in Oxford Dictionary states that Spring is from March to May, and Summer is June through August. So if it's going to happen at a major event, then it has to be April.

Maybe that's going to be one of the Leopard surprises: new definition of Spring in the dictionary :rolleyes:

gothiquegirrl
Mar 25, 2007, 05:21 PM
Maybe that's going to be one of the Leopard surprises: new definition of Spring in the dictionary :rolleyes:

tee hee!

Just like I said... EVERYTHING'S NEW in Leopard!

MadDoc
Mar 25, 2007, 05:43 PM
Maybe so... but I couldn't really give a flyin' pig's fart about that stupid iphone. I could have been more excited if it wasn't a phone...and it was more like $299.... but still... i'd rather have seen macs at "macworld"...

iphone should have had it's own event...IMO.

Ang

iPhone did have it's own event. It was called MacWorld 2007

:)

MadDoc,

CoreWeb
Mar 25, 2007, 06:33 PM
iPhone did have it's own event. It was called MacWorld 2007

:)

MadDoc,

And it will probably have a bigger, better event. Well, I'm not sure you can get bigger and better. But okay - it will probably have another event closer to its launch. Apple will most likely announce some feature on it we haven't seen (such as 3G - I give it 50-50 chance - but who knows what they might come up with!).

nagromme
Mar 25, 2007, 06:53 PM
Future 3G iPhone has already been announced, at the iPhone intro event. But the phone is coming first to the 3G-less US, so there's no point in adding cost (or reducing battery life?) with 3G at first. People SHOULD be willing to pay more to be future-proof, but they wouldn't be.

scrambledwonder
Mar 25, 2007, 08:02 PM
Not to change the subject, but it MIGHT make sense to release new Macs and iLife 07 at the same time as Leopard, with the new stuff pre-installed.

Not to mention, some new hardware technologies hit this year, like LED backlights, flash caching, improved integrated graphics from Intel, etc.--and those are timetables out of Apple's control but which might also be worth waiting for.

And if there ARE new machines coming then there could also be new advertising--especially if the new lines have whole new designs. In that case, it's especially important to tie them to Leopard.

A few things you can be sure of:

* Apple's hardware timetables DO have reasons behind them.

* Some of those factors are in Apple's control, some are not.

* Apple hasn't fired their Mac hardware team or slowed down their Mac R&D.

* Apple's non-Mac projects don't take staff away from the Mac side. Apple can afford employees to work on multiple products at the same time.

* Current case designs for Mac Pro, MacBook Pro, and iMac have been around a while, and won't stay the same forever. Nor will the overall look that Apple's been using.

* The iPhone is minamilist in design, yet in some ways significantly different from the round-and-squared white-and-aluminum look of everything else Apple makes.

* Some important new technologies are only now becoming available to computer makers.

* Apple's new OS isn't ready today but will be ready sometime in Spring (just confirmed by Apple).

* There WILL be new Macs coming :)

I'll further guess that some of them may have styling more like the iPhone than like past Macs. Maybe more black and chrome? Looking at the new AirPort and AppleTV we can see that the current scheme isn't gone yet--but imagine an iMac or Mac Pro tower with deep gloss black and a chrome border. I'd want one and I just bought an iMac :) (I know, Apple sometimes has one-off oddball designs. Like the two-tone TiBook which never matched any other Apple product. Or the bizarro 15" bluish-and-gray studio display.)

Gloss black and chrome! Yowza! How cheap-looking can you get?!

scrambledwonder
Mar 25, 2007, 08:09 PM
A predection:

Apple releases Tiger and new Santa Rosa based laptops before June.

"But Intel announced that Santa Rosa is slated for May! No way we'll see it before June!" you say.

Well, when Apple teamed with Intel, there were hints that Apple would get new Intel technology before other manufactures. In essence, Apple could get the latest and greatest a month or so before PCs. Or maybe just a few weeks. Apple would sort of be the flag ship of Intel technology.

But that's just a guess. We'll see. . . In the meantime, I've gotta save up for a new laptop.

ChrisA
Mar 25, 2007, 09:28 PM
I sure don't... I wish that Mac would remember that speed is king... that people want the 8 cores for speed... new chips for speed..

You do know that your 8-core Mac will be slower than the 4 core model for many tasks. If you are doing media transcoding, it will be faster but for normal office type work my guess is the quad will beat it. When they double the number of cores they will not be doubling the RAM or disk bandwidth

iJawn108
Mar 25, 2007, 09:43 PM
Do Apple Retail Stores normally have the new OS instock? or is that something I should preorder?

ElderscrollsV
Mar 25, 2007, 10:04 PM
It seems like if they release everything so close together.....I dont know I just think SOMTHING is going to have to come out before June

twoodcc
Mar 25, 2007, 10:10 PM
It seems like if they release everything so close together.....I dont know I just think SOMTHING is going to have to come out before June

yeah, something has to come out before June....hopefully some software and hardware....

cycocelica
Mar 25, 2007, 10:21 PM
What we don't know is that Apple is going to drop the bomb this Tuesday. My uber secret inside source told me so.

if thats not the case, i hope for a june release.

CoreWeb
Mar 25, 2007, 10:42 PM
What we don't know is that Apple is going to drop the bomb this Tuesday. My uber secret inside source told me so.

if thats not the case, i hope for a june release.

An "inside source" once told me that Apple was testing programs like Final Cut Pro on Windows... actually, that was the father of someone doing beta testing. And it was three years ago. Either it was false, or it was true and Apple decided against it... (or are just keeping it under wings in case they need it in future.)

Analog Kid
Mar 25, 2007, 11:33 PM
One massive June release just seems like a dumb idea to me-- dumb enough that I can't imagine Apple doing it. Apple has always spaced out their product launches for two reasons:

it spaces out their sales and evens out their revenue flow
they book the extra revenue from early adopters

If they release hardware and software together, they're going to get a big spike in quarterly revenue (Wall Street hates that). If they release hardware before software then the people who buy the new hardware will go out again in a couple months and update their software.

The other factor is that their customer's pockets are only so deep and they're most likely to buy when the hype is at its strongest (which is why they have these big announcements in the first place). If they spread out the launches customers are more likely to buy more of the items released. If they release them all together, customers are forced to pick and choose and are likely to be less interested in picking up the rest when the next paycheck comes through.

I'm half expecting iLife to get bundled with Leopard as part of the "everything's built in" move.
A predection:

Apple releases Tiger and new Santa Rosa based laptops before June.

"But Intel announced that Santa Rosa is slated for May! No way we'll see it before June!" you say.

Well, when Apple teamed with Intel, there were hints that Apple would get new Intel technology before other manufactures. In essence, Apple could get the latest and greatest a month or so before PCs. Or maybe just a few weeks. Apple would sort of be the flag ship of Intel technology.

This makes sense to me. When Intel releases Santa Rosa, they mean volume shipment to customers. Apple certainly has engineering samples in their labs by now that they're designing around.

chrisflew
Mar 26, 2007, 02:11 AM

netdog
Mar 26, 2007, 02:16 AM
The Leopard ship date will be announced tomorrow...March 27.

MrCrowbar
Mar 26, 2007, 03:27 AM
The install of Mac OS X you get with your Mac mini is licensed just for that system and possibly even the disc will only install on that system. Of course Apple currently doesn't do any licensing checks to enforce this.

So in theory, I could install my Macbook's Tiger on the Mini (secondary computer) and put Leopard that shipped with the Mini on my Macbook? HAs anyone done something similar?

hookedonitunes
Mar 26, 2007, 05:57 AM
So in theory, I could install my Macbook's Tiger on the Mini (secondary computer) and put Leopard that shipped with the Mini on my Macbook? HAs anyone done something similar?

See this page: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=25497

Basically, if a new mini comes with 10.4.8 (for example) and your old MacBook came with 10.4.6 you'd be fine installing from the mini's installation disc onto the MacBook but you should under no circumstances install from the MacBook's installation on your new mini. So although Leopard would install fine from your new mini's DVDs you would not be able to install Tiger onto your mini from your MacBook DVDs.

Edit: changed CDs to DVDs

Nym
Mar 26, 2007, 06:46 AM
IMO Apple has been too quiet lately.

I smell something bigger than expected just around the corner...

My guess is, Leopard is going to be THA BOMB SON! :D That's why they've been so silent, they're working on stuff we can't even imagine. And although I'm very pleased with Tiger I must say... the long wait is making me wonder about how great 10.5 will be :)

netdog
Mar 26, 2007, 06:49 AM
And I could use my C2D iMac install discs to do a fresh install on my considerably older CD Macbook? (just making sure as I can' find my MB discs and need to reinstall fresh on my MB)

MadDoc
Mar 26, 2007, 07:22 AM
And I could use my C2D iMac install discs to do a fresh install on my considerably older CD Macbook? (just making sure as I can' find my MB discs and need to reinstall fresh on my MB)

No, I don't think so.

Basically, you shouldn't install a version of OSX older than the one that shipped with the computer. Certain core components in the Mac may depend on the newer version of the OS.

MadDoc,

netdog
Mar 26, 2007, 07:26 AM
Wait, you say no, and then you seem to be saying yes.

Again, my C2D iMac discs are considerably newer than the MB that I want to use them on to do a fresh install.

AidenShaw
Mar 26, 2007, 09:17 AM
You do know that your 8-core Mac will be slower than the 4 core model for many tasks. If you are doing media transcoding, it will be faster but for normal office type work my guess is the quad will beat it. When they double the number of cores they will not be doubling the RAM or disk bandwidth
Also, the dual-core chips are available at a faster clock rate than the quad core.

jane doe
Mar 26, 2007, 09:49 AM
We'll need Leopard to properly manage all those cores. Tiger doesn't have that intelligence built into it.

Incorrect my friend. Tiger can handle the same amount of cores/processors.

Captain Planet
Mar 26, 2007, 09:55 AM
I want to ask something way off topic. Would it be foolish of me to buy an iMac right now? I really want a new computer, and going for a Mac. It would be my first one. I was thinking either the 20-inch or 24. Should I just wait or just go ahead and buy? I guess I don't need one badly to death, although I'm been kind of wanting one for for a few months.

shawnce
Mar 26, 2007, 10:14 AM
Incorrect my friend. Tiger can handle the same amount of cores/processors.

Tiger supports an arbitrary number of cores (at most layers) however it doesn't have a thread scheduler that understands the core / cache / socket hierarchy (well at least it doesn't do much with that information). As a result when you start to get so many cores behind a single socket yet still have multiple sockets the scheduler can inadvertently thrash the disjoint caches and buses related to each socket by moving a data heavy thread (or threads) around among cores instead of scheduling them on the same core (or peer core) again and again.

In other words it can degrade efficiency of the system negating some of the gains 8+ cores gives you.

shawnce
Mar 26, 2007, 10:55 AM
I want to ask something way off topic. Would it be foolish of me to buy an iMac right now? I really want a new computer, and going for a Mac. It would be my first one. I was thinking either the 20-inch or 24. Should I just wait or just go ahead and buy? I guess I don't need one badly to death, although I'm been kind of wanting one for for a few months.

Dates for new hardware from Apple are fuzzy still... they could release minor speed bumped system in the near future (likely would have happened by now if they planned to do it at all) or it could be months.

Personally if I am not fairly sure something will be changing in the near future (2-4 weeks) I usually buy now if I need a system. The reality is that the system you get now will be a good system and more then capable for the foreseeable future.

The only pause I would have in regards to the iMac is the possibility of Apple releasing an LED backlighted version in the not so distant future (hard to predict this one). That would be a nice power efficiency win and possibly even allow Core 2 Duo desktop components to be put in the system without thermal budget issues.

Maccus Aurelius
Mar 26, 2007, 10:58 AM
Thank goodness I only do image manipulation or I'd manage to care more about more cores. My macbook is plenty capable of handling multiple tasks without gasping for a second wind, especially with its 2GB of RAM, and I can run 3-4 higher powered apps without stalling, so I'm golden. I'd like to see the quad mac pro remain with the 8 being an option, and the quad would then have a lower price. Yes, it sounds like I'm freebasing, but a guy can dream.

I would probably do well with an iMac, but the display is what troubles me. I've had a few desktop displays die, I'd be livid if it was attached to my computer and had to have the entire unit sent off for repair. It's either the mini or mp for me. I need the storage, but the mini is less than half the price...oh woe woe is me.

Mgkwho
Mar 26, 2007, 11:02 AM
CS3= April 20th

MacPro= April 15/17 at NAB?

Leopard= April 24?

-=|Mgkwho

Maccus Aurelius
Mar 26, 2007, 11:07 AM
Ooh new Mac Pros and the auto show. It's like it's raining gum drops!

shawnce
Mar 26, 2007, 11:22 AM
I'd like to see the quad mac pro remain with the 8 being an option, and the quad would then have a lower price.

I would love the Mac Pro to move up in the line a little more (not really in price but performance/expansion build out) and hopefully Apple will backfill the space with a mini-tower Mac (2 PCIe slots, one 16 lane other 8 lane) that is priced about the same as the iMac but without a display.

Maccus Aurelius
Mar 26, 2007, 11:30 AM
Ok you win. If that were to happen, I'd probably end up buying the midrange over the pro anyway. It would be more powerful and more upgradable than the mini and would not have the display constraint of the imac. I'd still like to see a smaller version of the slide out HD trays like on the Mac Pro. The ease of swapping alone makes it an attractive offer to me.

johnee
Mar 26, 2007, 12:25 PM
I gots the money for a new mbp, just waiting now. I know a lot of people say just go ahead and buy now, but all threads/discussions considered, waiting till June is ok with me.

Also, like many others here, I know someone at apple, and she has indicated to me the hours they work are GRUELING. Just want everyone to know the people who actually create this stuff for "steve's vision" are running flat out 24/7.

MacsAttack
Mar 26, 2007, 12:59 PM
Anyone got a nice leopard-fur wallpaper? I've been using a neat tiger-fur one in honor of the last days of 10.4 and I wanted a new one to welcome in 10.5 :D

stompy
Mar 26, 2007, 01:45 PM

http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#iMac

surferfromuk
Mar 26, 2007, 06:00 PM
well the share price is up so somethings definately coming down the pipe :p

djkirsten
Mar 26, 2007, 08:55 PM
so nobody is looking at the obvious, the invite for WWDC in june has the Time Machine look to it. That's where leapord is coming out i'll bet. There would be no reason to look at NAB as the platform for an OS launch. It'll happen at WWDC. Plus Apple wouldd rather get us excited for WWDC than NAB. Just my 2 cents.

hookedonitunes
Mar 26, 2007, 09:57 PM
Wait, you say no, and then you seem to be saying yes.

Again, my C2D iMac discs are considerably newer than the MB that I want to use them on to do a fresh install.

Which version of OS 10.4 did your MB come with? You would only be safe using the discs from your C2D if, for example, your MB came with 10.4.6 and your C2D came with 10.4.7 or later.... basically the number after the 10.4 should be at least one higher on your C2D discs than what came on your MB discs.

Scorpius
Mar 26, 2007, 10:02 PM
If an Apple rep will just email me their plans for the hardware and software, I'd really appreciate it. Oh, and I promise not to say a word.

a456
Mar 27, 2007, 09:44 AM
Does 10.4.10 seem more likely now? (Barring the strange numbering. :rolleyes: )

I predicted a Leopard/Santa Rosa tie in awhile back.

In that case it looks like May at the earliest. I guess it makes sense to get all the 64-bit capabilities tied up together if there is going to be a major refresh of the models, Leopard can then be presented at its very best on all models.

Telp
Mar 28, 2007, 03:52 PM
I would just like to point out, even though this rumor is complete nonsence and has been proven so....http://www.apple.com/macosx/bootcamp/ check it out, there is already a bootcamp beta compatible with Vista.

Eidorian
Mar 28, 2007, 04:03 PM
I would just like to point out, even though this rumor is complete nonsence and has been proven so....http://www.apple.com/macosx/bootcamp/ check it out, there is already a bootcamp beta compatible with Vista.It was a silent update! :rolleyes:

AidenShaw
Apr 12, 2007, 05:52 PM
Boy, was this report wrong...

Counter
Apr 12, 2007, 06:25 PM

Might have been right for a while. Until iPhone took a dump on Leopard. I can't believe that's the right way around. Such a big cat, such a small...ish...phone.

netdog
Apr 12, 2007, 07:21 PM
Might have been right for a while. Until iPhone took a dump on Leopard. I can't believe that's the right way around. Such a big cat, such a small...ish...phone.

The report was less than 3 weeks ago.

twoodcc
Apr 12, 2007, 07:35 PM
Until iPhone took a dump on Leopard.

lol, you got that right.....

Peace
Apr 12, 2007, 08:01 PM
*Wasteland*

LOL :(

Zwhaler
Apr 12, 2007, 08:03 PM
Until iPhone took a dump on Leopard.

HAHAHAHAHAA I tried picturing that. So true...

Counter
Apr 12, 2007, 08:17 PM
The report was less than 3 weeks ago.

The iPhone probably waited until it was really full of s*** before unloading all over our beloved OS.

juanster
Apr 13, 2007, 12:21 AM
ahah imagine the "one more thing" for this year to be oh by the way,,, we were able to finish leopard on time and you can buy it today........whoaaaa taht d be big wouldn t it?

AidenShaw
Apr 13, 2007, 10:19 AM
Might have been right for a while. Until iPhone took a dump on Leopard.

An OS project doesn't slip 4 months in 3 weeks.

If anyone at Apple claimed 3 weeks ago that 10.5 was on schedule, they were either lying or clueless about what was happening with the project.

AidenShaw
Apr 14, 2007, 07:01 PM
If anyone at Apple claimed 3 weeks ago that 10.5 was on schedule, they were either lying or clueless about what was happening with the project.

By the way, was there ever any official statement by Apple?

Other than Gartenberg's reports that an unnamed "Apple representative" said that 10.5 was on schedule, there doesn't seem to be any comment on record by Apple.

Salasm
Apr 14, 2007, 07:12 PM
Despite some questionable rumors (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/03/23/mac-os-x-10-5-leopard-delayed-until-october/) that Apple was delaying Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard until October...
is it just me or are macrumors stories becoming opinion pieces? this plus the 8-core debut next wednesday? doubtful.. its becoming somewhat of a joke. hey macrumors, stick to reporting news and rumors, and stay out of opinion pieces.

robPOD
Apr 14, 2007, 09:09 PM
This thread should be moved to wasteland, Boy was it wrong. No leopard untill october :mad: :mad:

Max Payne
Apr 14, 2007, 09:11 PM
Another vote for wasteland.

Man, were we disappointed. :D