PDA

View Full Version : Powerbook 140 options

discoboy
Mar 25, 2007, 03:23 AM
My Powerbook 140 has been collecting dust for some years now. Last time I tried it would not boot and gives the diskette icon with a question mark. Is it worth trying to find out the problem? I have asked at a couple of Apple shops but they can't take the job on citing lack of spare parts/knowledge. Even if I get it fixed what can I do with it? Any ideas appreciated.

phidauex
Mar 25, 2007, 01:14 PM
Wow, a little piece of history you've got there. :)

If you are getting the diskette icon, it probably means the hard drive has either failed, or has a corrupt OS install. I would recommend getting a set of OS 7.5.5 install disks (available for free now, I think), and see if it will boot from the disk. If so, then see if it will format and install on the hard drive. If not, it would need an HD replacement. You won't be able to buy a replacement new, it will have to be used.

I'm always down for fun hobbies, but honestly, unless you have a 'museum' interest, I wouldn't sink any money into it. It has a b/w screen, a 16mhz processor, 8mb of ram, and only runs OS 7.5. You probably couldn't do anything useful on it, since it won't run any software that has compatibility with other people's software. And good luck getting it online...

If you decide it is too much work for no return, then don't throw it away, give it to a mac collector who will happily clean it up, and put it on display. :)

peace,
sam

discoboy
Mar 25, 2007, 09:21 PM
I do have the original install diskettes and tried what you suggested. The install can't find a volume to install to so I assume that means either the internal scsi drive is dead or unaccessible because of a broken scsi cable or dead controller.

You are ofcourse right about its value. A quick check on ebay reveals its worth at around USD10.00. What's strange is that the power adapter sells for the same!

Seems a shame to have to "give it away" considering what I paid for it (in December 1994) :(

Thanks anyway.

phidauex
Mar 26, 2007, 12:08 AM
I know what you mean. I just junked the first PC I ever built with my own hands. A Pentium I, 166mHz w/ 128mb of RAM. Boy it was expensive... All top of the line parts. "128 MEGAbytes???" my dad said, "That is more than the hard drive on our IIsi!" They thought I was crazy.

But now, it's worthless.

Even though computers don't physically break down very quickly, you still have to think of them as a consumable. You "use up" their functionality as the technology leaves them behind. Modern Macs probably have pretty long life-span. A friend of mine is still getting good use out of a Sawtooth 500mhz G4 that I gave him. But one day, it will still work fine, but not be any use.

I think my brother still has a working Powerbook 140... If you really wanted to relive your past, he might be willing to part with it. But it probably wouldn't be all that satisfying for you. ;)

peace,
sam

discoboy
Mar 26, 2007, 09:00 AM
Very kind of you to offer but no I couldn't.

I may sell the power adapter and/or offer the powerbook for parts. The thing is I'm in Asia and most buyers would need to pay a fair sum for shipping which may turn them off - ho hum.

Nice to chat with you anyway. Take care.