PDA

View Full Version : what do you look for in a "Mac Site"

clubmedia
Jun 10, 2003, 03:44 AM
just wondering what the everyday person wants and returns to everyday mac sites.

what are your like and dislikes in the existing sites?

any and all feedback is welcome

Wardofsky
Jun 11, 2003, 06:56 AM
MacRumors:
Very easy to use.
Nice community.
I had a few e-mail alert, memberships problems about a week ago.

Spymac:
Picture forum.
Competitions.
Avatars are allowed early on and are too big for the page.
Moderation is not as strict.

ThinkSecret:
News (so far) has been very accurate.
Nice setup.
Forums not advertised.

MacMinute:
Application reviews.
Apple news.
Not catorgorized.

I think I've whined enough.

ouketii
Jun 16, 2003, 07:58 PM
rumors!

yossele
Jun 18, 2003, 02:49 PM
Yepp, and rumors it is!

pEZ
Jun 19, 2003, 12:09 AM
Meh, there are plenty of rumors sites around. I think rumors are a tad overstated and usually wrong - which is why I like MacRumors. It gathers up all the crap going around and slaps a label on it as "good," "bad," "crap," etc.

As far as a new mac site goes, I'd go for more Mac Scene issues. Like what's going on in the Mac Community, not just rumors. MacDirectory, the magazine comes to mind - it's one of my favorites because It's more than just news and reviews, the standard for any Mac mag. It's the style surrounding Macs, stories about the people who use them, articles about the places people use them, tales of how people use them, and most of all, the style surrounding such a sexy machine. A brand new PowerMac 970 with an iPod and dock just won't look as cool in a farmhouse as in a New York designer's loft decked out with sleek and new styles.

Just my perspective.

Sonar
Jun 27, 2003, 01:58 PM
I think a good site has to have many opinions, and not be bias. Even though some users can be. To give different views. But u have to have range and of course a cool setup. ala MacRumors osx forums mode. *drool*:eek:

scem0
Jun 29, 2003, 11:41 PM
communit, accuracy, community, site layout/aesthetics, community, whether or not it has a forum, and ummmmmm........ community.

MR has a great community :)

scem0

mnkeybsness
Jun 30, 2003, 12:18 AM
updates. i would rather have a site post an article or some new info every day/week than just post a whole bunch of stuff all at once and not update it for a month. fun stuff too, like icons, desktop pictures and whatnot...featured things are always a plus.

whfsdude
Jun 30, 2003, 12:52 AM
I love to read people's take on things. Reviews and such :-)

In fact I was thinking of this a few days ago. macrumors review section, not the forums but something that would have really good reviews + screenshots.

It could be apps + hardware. :D

Or just neat crap like a dual ext firewire drive case > http://computergeeks.com/details.asp?invtid=MAP-302F-01