PDA

View Full Version : MS "forcing" devs to charge for DLC/XBLA?

giganten
Mar 26, 2007, 03:45 PM
I was looking on teamxbox's forum and did find this. http://forum.teamxbox.com/showthread.php?t=515355&highlight=no+free+downloads

1UP Yours crew claim to have played the next DLC for Gears of War and say it's effin fantastic however Epic (Cliffy and Rein) is pissed at MS for not wanting to release the DLC as free but instead "forcing" a price for it.

Back in November Pat Wilson, developer at Garage Games, announced that their team had just finished making a FREE downloadable update (that featured bug fixes, 11 new multiplayer maps, and new gametypes) and that it was in Microsoft’s hands for certification. Weeks later in his blog, Pat explained to fans why the free content will NEVER be made available. (The site he blogged at, angrydev.com, is no more, but you can still find the info he posted on numerous sites) On the record, Garage Games says "...we are unable to come to an agreement with our publisher for the Marble Blast Ultra update." Seeing as Garage Games is both the publisher AND developer of Marble Blast Ultra, you need to read between the lines. The gist of Pat’s blog says Microsoft won’t allow them to release free content for their game, but he doesn’t go into what their motivation might be, but allow me to.

Not good if this is true, I hope it is just some bad rumor.

2nyRiggz
Mar 26, 2007, 03:49 PM
Maybe it is...MS likes money just like everyone else and if they can milk the cow you best believe they will suck it dry and offer us 2% milk..:confused:

Bless

sikkinixx
Mar 26, 2007, 03:51 PM
they don't get a penny of my money for DLC....

bmb012
Mar 26, 2007, 04:22 PM
Um, okay, so then why can you download new clothes for Dead Rising for free?

Dagless
Mar 26, 2007, 04:29 PM
Clothes are nothing, but new level content etc just opens up replayability.

BengalDuck
Mar 26, 2007, 04:35 PM
I wouldn't play for downloadable content. Ever. I already pay for the ability to download that stuff.

If the 360's best games all are really great with downloadable content that I'd have to pay extra for, I will just stop buying the games.

Agilus
Mar 26, 2007, 04:52 PM
If a game feels unfinished without the downloadable content, then I'd be upset. However, if the downloadable content is a significant addition of -new- content, then I don't see much difference between that and a sequel, spinoff, or expansion. It's just downloadable, instead of in a box at the store. Hooray for convenience!

However, if you're paying for XBox Live already, then I can see why you'd be upset that you have to pay more to get some extra content.

Dagless
Mar 26, 2007, 06:18 PM
As an incentive for Live they really should offer downloads either free or at a discount for Gold members. I know in the case of "extra clothes" it pretty much is raw profit, but cummon MS and co :p