Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zuggerat

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 8, 2003
NY
if the 1 ghz g4 in the current powermac models is pullin off around 16 gigaflops what is the average pentium 4 pullin in gigaflops or it's own respective scale?

P-Worm

macrumors 68020
Jul 16, 2002
Salt Lake City, UT
I think it is much lower on the P4 (no source on this one, sorry) but those numbers are weighted significantly with Altivec and the likes. That and gigaflops don't mean that much when it comes to overall computing prowess.

P-Worm

acj

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2003
the gflops myth

ahh, you are talking about the gigaflops myth.

I think some modern graphics cards are cranking out far more gigaflops than these dinky G4s.

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
Re: G4 gigaflops vs p4 gigsflops?

Originally posted by zuggerat
if the 1 ghz g4 in the current powermac models is pullin off around 16 gigaflops what is the average pentium 4 pullin in gigaflops or it's own respective scale?
16? i think real world is more like 6.

cb911

macrumors 601
Mar 12, 2002
BrisVegas, Australia
since gigaflops are heavily reliant on Altivec optimisations for maximum ratings, the best comparison of a P4 i guess would be from a program that was optimised specifically for the P4.

but that doesn't provide a good real-world measurement. if you want to see how the two compare, then you'd probably be best to try out a program that you use on a P4, then go to an Apple store and try the same program on a PowerMac G4. it's hard to compare the two, but that's probably the best way.

noverflow

macrumors regular
Jul 4, 2002
My dual 1ghz qs can achive 7.6 Gf... as in this is the highest i have ever seen it do..

using AltiVec Fractal Carbon

also the 1.42 is almost 10.

" The following is found on Intel's website in relation to the itanium, it's taken from an articlefrom December 2002 "Production platforms are expected to exceed two billion calculations per second (gigaflops)."

kind of sad that a 64bit server chip is hard pressed to hit 2 gigaflops...

but it does not matter, because that pc is still faster in real world. untill the 970 comes that is?

I hope

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.