PDA

View Full Version : Future Features You want to see for :apple:TV

patrick0brien
Mar 26, 2007, 05:31 PM
Hey, that rhymed.

Well, a thread like this would start eventually, so I'll give it a go...

The :apple:TV software is at 1.0, but it does have the hardware chops to do pretty much anything we want, HDMI Certification, Digital Optical out, etc. Meaning that 5.1 Digital is essentially forgone conclusion with an update (and content), also we all know we need true 1080iHD Content.

In addition, what is on your lists of future stuff you'd like to see?

1. USB 2.0 connectivity to External HDD (durr)
2. On demand Purchasing. We know it's possible as iTunes "Favorite Music", "and "Favorite TV Shows", "And movie Trailers" are already served up - simple matter to include the control to purchase.
3. On demand Streaming. Not up to the box of :apple:TV, but big iron servers at the mother ship, but hey...
4. More screensavers - preferably user installable.
5. More while-playing-music Album Artwork burn-in prevention motions - that back-and-forth flippy thing is a bit hokey, and for we guys with LCD's, I'd like to actually turn it off.
9. Option to have the startup movie play whenever I wake it from sleep, e.g. 'turn it on'. It's beautiful. I want to blow away my friends...
... all the time.

What's on your minds?

(Hoping Apple spiders this thread for idea-farming - you listening Uncle Steve?)

netdog
Mar 26, 2007, 05:33 PM
On demand purchases

A BluRay DVD Drive

A copy of Handbrake/MediaFork

psychofreak
Mar 26, 2007, 05:36 PM
Games!
DVR!

Not really :apple: TV, but films/shows on iTS UK...

Airforce
Mar 26, 2007, 05:37 PM
DVR function....
some kind of great feature that makes it worth $300 like it is currently.

patrick0brien
Mar 26, 2007, 05:39 PM
On demand purchases

A BluRay DVD Drive

-netdog

Be nice if iTunes had ripping/autoimport/autosync w/:apple:TV built in like CD's.

In the LEAST.

bajjab99
Mar 26, 2007, 05:41 PM
In terms of software-

1. when browsing the long list of artists, it only speeds up. it would be great if a big letter appeared allowing you to select the first letter of the artist - just like on an iPod.

2. On the go playlists, a must. to a lesser extent, party shuffle anyone?

3. TV show sorting: by season in chronological order, just like front row. right now it just lists them all in reverse chronological order.

4. buying music/tv shows/movies from appleTV.

In terms of hardware-

1. external hard drive support, yes. i actually find the streaming to be great though.

2. i still think a dvd drive would have been great.

netdog
Mar 26, 2007, 05:41 PM
-netdog

Be nice if iTunes had ripping/autoimport/autosync w/:apple:TV built in like CD's.

In the LEAST.

Indeed it would :)

michaelsaxon
Mar 26, 2007, 06:27 PM
1. An elegant way to get non-iTunes content into the right format (bundled and not bought, like I felt compelled to with VisualHub). One would think QT Pro would come with a $299 purchase, for instance.

2. 5.1 audio

3. Visualizers

4. On-demand purchases from the machine in a quality that motivates me to not buy DVDs (also see #10).

5. On-demand rental service and a monthly one reminiscent of NetFlix.

6. Streaming photos.

7. iCal and address book integration with family calendar displays.

8. Live sports content on iTunes so that I can finally dump cable.

9. A larger HD.

10. RIAA and MPAA to finally figure out that the copy protection schemes on their content is keeping honest people from fully utilizing their bought content. Now that I'm juggling a DVD collection, AppleTV, iTunes content, several iPods in the family, etc., I'm getting more and more irritated. I'll buy movies from iTunes when I can burn them to DVD and play them in our DVD player in our vehicle for our kids.

It is sad that I have to burn songs to disk and reimport them. It is sad that Mac the Ripper has to exist. Nonsense.

dejo
Mar 26, 2007, 06:32 PM
...also we all know we need true 1080iHD Content.
Why not wish for 1080p content? I know I am. :)

esco
Mar 26, 2007, 11:55 PM
my only current complaint is that the features of Lostify aren't integrated with iTunes...it's not even an :apple: TV problem

Forced Perfect
Mar 27, 2007, 12:05 AM
Streaming a DVD located in your Mac's drive to your Apple TV. :P

esco
Mar 27, 2007, 01:14 AM
1. when browsing the long list of artists, it only speeds up. it would be great if a big letter appeared allowing you to select the first letter of the artist - just like on an iPod.

3. TV show sorting: by season in chronological order, just like front row. right now it just lists them all in reverse chronological order.

Scratch my last comment, these are great points

patrick0brien
Mar 27, 2007, 01:17 AM
Streaming a DVD located in your Mac's drive to your Apple TV. :P

-Forced Perfect

Good one.

Passante
Mar 27, 2007, 05:03 AM
I'd like the ability to stream audio to airport express. Have to pump that sound all through the house.

A lyric widget equivalent. I'd pay an extra dollar for lyric down loads from Apple.

fakename
Mar 27, 2007, 06:19 AM
TV SHOWS
We already have the streaming trailers.
Why not have streaming TV shows?
We can either watch the full broadcast version with commercials for free or use a subscription system to have access to the shows without commercials.

PHOTOS
Streaming photos like music.
When I stream to another computer I don't have access to their iphoto albums?

Select individual songs from the playlists.
Right now you can only select a playlist and it randomly picks a song. Some photo albums I'd like specific songs but I don't want to create individual music playlists for them with only one song.

Off Topic
I think the photos function is a hidden gem. For those with LOTS of family photos and albums, the $299 is worth it just to be able to finally see and show everyone your photos. Really nice for everyone to sit around and watch. Ken Burns effect really makes the photos come alive.

atari1356
Mar 27, 2007, 08:45 AM
I'd like to be able to connect my EyeTV Hybrid to it and receive/record digital over-the-air HD television.

The :apple:TV has a USB port, and it runs Mac OS X... so I wonder if there's a way to hack this to work...

princealfie
Mar 27, 2007, 09:05 AM
On demand purchases

A BluRay DVD Drive

Please, no Bluray drive! That's a joke.

Seriously Bluray should be left to the iMac and Mac Pros instead where the processor can handle that.

HelixOmnimedia
Mar 27, 2007, 12:13 PM
I know it's not a huge feature, but i would love a volume control and better TV show sorting options, like by season in chronological order, right now it just lists them all in reverse chronological order.

princealfie
Mar 27, 2007, 12:20 PM
I know it's not a huge feature, but i would love a volume control and better TV show sorting options, like by season in chronological order, right now it just lists them all in reverse chronological order.

Volume control can't be built in because that's part of the TV... the streaming media file gets a straight playback.

patrick0brien
Mar 27, 2007, 12:26 PM
Volume control can't be built in because that's part of the TV... the streaming media file gets a straight playback.

-princealfie

Well that, and the digital outs' volume, like HDMI and SPDIF, well I've never heard attenuated.

:apple:TV is really designed as a component feeding a receiver.

/dev/toaster
Mar 27, 2007, 12:40 PM
- Better sorting of media. Something more like the album view in iTunes would be better. Its hard when you have many episodes and seasons of a show. Trying finding an episode you want in 16 seasons of the Simpsons. You will be scrolling for a month.

- Volume controls, not sure if they can but it would be nice.
- Merge shared sources (don't list duplicates). Would be nice to get a list of what's available without seeing who has it. Me and my girlfriend have a shared iTunes account. We both have our laptops. We can't sync everything to the AppleTV. Would be nice if it was a seemless list of what's on the network (and cached locally) that I can view.
- More screen savers :D
- Larger more detailed views of what I want to watch or what I am playing. Display tags slightly larger. Front row handles playing audio much nicer.
- Customizable Themes :D
- Would be nice to be able to stream FROM the AppleTV. Lets say I push a video to the AppleTV. I am at work with my laptop, my GF should be able to watch the video on her laptop if she wants. Just adds some more flexibility.

I know its a version 1.0, so I am hoping they do some work on the interface. The AppleTV is nearly perfect just needs some touch up work for displaying content.

spicyapple
Mar 27, 2007, 12:50 PM
I don't think we'll ever see the ability to buy movies and TV shows from AppleTV – that's what your Mac is for. DVR functionality seems bleak too, since Apple is going to make sure you purchase content digitally, and it adds another layer of complexity to the average consumer.

The future features I want to see are the most obvious omissions: 1080p and 5.1 AC3 and DTS support.

patrick0brien
Mar 27, 2007, 01:00 PM
I don't think we'll ever see the ability to buy movies and TV shows from AppleTV – that's what your Mac is for.

-spicyapple

May be true, but at least we know the technology is capable of it. So time will tell there...

QCassidy352
Mar 27, 2007, 01:32 PM
I don't think we'll ever see the ability to buy movies and TV shows from AppleTV – that's what your Mac is for. DVR functionality seems bleak too, since Apple is going to make sure you purchase content digitally, and it adds another layer of complexity to the average consumer.

I disagree with the buying from itunes, but strongly agree with the DVR (unfortunately, as that's the one feature that might get me to buy one). The big difference is that allowing purchases from itunes helps integrate apple's business plan, which is to become your primary provider for entertainment content. Adding DVR directly thwarts this objective by allowing a user to go to an outside content provider.

So in short, while DVR is the one feature that might make me like :apple: TV enough to buy it, I think it will never happen. Purchasing directly from itunes, OTOH, I expect to see, and not in the distant future.

Passante
Mar 27, 2007, 03:23 PM
I disagree with the buying from itunes, but strongly agree with the DVR (unfortunately, as that's the one feature that might get me to buy one). The big difference is that allowing purchases from itunes helps integrate apple's business plan, which is to become your primary provider for entertainment content. Adding DVR directly thwarts this objective by allowing a user to go to an outside content provider.

So in short, while DVR is the one feature that might make me like :apple: TV enough to buy it, I think it will never happen. Purchasing directly from itunes, OTOH, I expect to see, and not in the distant future.

Why not turn your existing Mac into a DVR with Eyetv?

PixelFactory
Mar 27, 2007, 04:22 PM
I'd like to see movie sorting by genre and alphabetically separated. Also sort TV shows by season and in ascending order.

HelixOmnimedia
Mar 27, 2007, 04:26 PM
I'd also like to have more control from the iTunes side with the syncing.

I'd like something like a drop down menu within TV Shows, which will allow you sync specific episodes.

gkarris
Mar 27, 2007, 04:34 PM
1. OS X
2. OS X
3. OS X
4. OS X
5. OS X
6. OS X
7. OS X
8. OS X
9. OS X
10. OS X

A $299 Mac - take that Wintel world!!!

HelixOmnimedia
Mar 27, 2007, 05:01 PM
I'd like to see more control over the music which can be played when showing a Photo Slideshow... right now it's just no music or Library with shuffle on or off.

Would like to select certain play lists.

As I play around with aTV more the list will grow. I'm sure everyone has got something that can be improved or suggestion for what could be added.

patrick0brien
Mar 27, 2007, 05:09 PM
I'm hoping Apple guys are reading this.

Uncle Steve's been known to visit, so if he comes here...

/dev/toaster
Mar 27, 2007, 06:17 PM

I hope so ... thats the only chance of seeing better content views.

indraunt@gmail.
Mar 27, 2007, 07:02 PM
I don't want any rubbish like an integrated DVD Player - it just defeats the purpose of the devise. All I want is a refinement of the devise in its current form.
-Bigger HDD? Why? I don't see a point - I've not had one problem whatsoever simply streaming media from my mac. It can't really be used as a storage devise because of its syncing, so again - whats the point?
-More tag options in iTunes - Yeah, I know they'l be in iTunes 8, but I want my stars and directors credited dammit.
-An Apple Universal Remote - considering their track record for design, UI and otherwise, I think this'd be great... Although, considering the price of a good universal remote its doubtful I'd buy one.
-iTunes Store purchasing - would be handy to be sitting on the couch and all of a sudden get the desire ot watch a movie you haven't got - simple matter of selecting it, buying it, and watching it as it downloads.
-Music visualisation - perhaps using all your coverart or photos in it?
-Simple DVD ripping - iTunes does it for CDs, its high time it could do it for DVDs too.
-Along the lines of Joost and other emerging online TV options - an AppleTV accessable option. Would be nice if there was a 'Channel' option in the Sources list with wonderful stuff such as BBC broadcasts and whatnot.

ChrisA
Mar 27, 2007, 07:43 PM
....what is on your lists of future stuff you'd like to see?

I don't need to make a list. Someone else already made it for me. You can read it here http://tinyurl.com/tdjn

indraunt@gmail.
Mar 27, 2007, 07:55 PM
I don't need to make a list. Someone else already made it for me. You can read it here http://tinyurl.com/tdjn

So what you want isn't actually the AppleTV at all?

Yvan256
Mar 27, 2007, 08:21 PM
I only want these:
- letterboxing option for 4:3 televisions (the playback box should do it, not the viewing device)
- movies and TV shows in Canada (with reasonable prices)
- movie categories (I guess we can do it with playlists for now, but that's a workaround for a real problem)
- one-viewing-only of TV shows at a lower price (0.99$ would be nice)
- movies rental at a lower price (say, 4.99$)

Give me the first 3 and I'll be happy.

ctakim
Mar 27, 2007, 10:36 PM
Everything you all have already said and....

Synching with more than one computer! My photos are all over the home network!

snowmoon
Mar 27, 2007, 10:43 PM
Basic "fixes" the the AppleTV... things that should never have been allowed to slip by.

1) Enable 5.1 audio
2) Better resolution on downloads and free upgrades for media already purchased.
3) Something more than a 33GB drive ( usable space after formatting and OSX ) <- I'm actually waiting for the first lawsuit over the fact that 1/8 of the drive is consumed by the OS and that is not disclosed on much of the ads.
4) Better organization of video feeds.

What I would like to see

1) RSS/Web/Informational feeds
2) Better h.264 support ( I hope they will turn up more features like the 5.5 iPod ) cabac, 1080p, higher bitrates, ...
3) Games/Time wasters... we're not talking doom here, but simple games would be nice.
4) Enable a new more codecs / splitters for more content

Daydreaming

1) USB support for media already playable by the box ( mpeg-4/AVC )
2) USB support for DVD
3) Backup/Time Machine server

Forced Perfect
Mar 27, 2007, 11:38 PM
I posted most of these on another thread here the other day. But here are some more...

Audio
-Enabling the surround sound controller chip. Even though Apple doesn't sell content with it yet that doesn't mean it should be left out.
-AirTunes support to stream iTunes music from your Mac to your TV sound system.

Video
-A 4:3 output via composite so people with the right inputs can use it on a perfectly good TV which just doesn't happen to have a simulated 16:9 mode.
-Option to use a few of the normal Mac OS screen savers during audio playback/idle. I'm sure Apple would like promoting the ability to display useless (IMO) RSS feeds. :P

USB
-Enable the USB 2.0 port for external hard drives.
-Possibly enable it for DVD-ROM drives. Just having the option is good even if it isn't the best way to get a DVD player in the world.

Misc
-Wireless router or at least a WDS repeater function. Routing might not be practical with the limited CPU while handling video but it would be nice to have a little boost to your network as a bonus for having an Apple TV.
-Network storage. Perhaps a simple interface to designate an external drive as shared storage - like an AirPort base. However not having 1000-BaseT kinda sucks.
-Address Book and iCal support. With proper options for privacy.
-iTunes purchasing support. This seems to be one of the most common requests.
-Xgrid? I know I'd use it. Sure it isn't an Xserve cluster node or a Mac Pro... but hey, everything helps a little!

I'd like to mention that pretty much everything I have listed can be enabled though software updates. Are you listening, Apple?

That's all I can come up with for now. Maybe when I finally get one I'll have more requests! As for things I don't want? BluRay, 1080p. Both should be dedicated hardware due to the complexity of the video format and processing power needed. DVR isn't something I much care about either. But I'm sure it'll be hacked on in no time.

HelixOmnimedia
Mar 28, 2007, 06:44 AM

I'd like to know what size of harddrive is in Steve's AppleTV. or even the he showed at MacWorld.

I've got:
Movies
Pirates Caribbean 1, Gnome, Knick Knack, For The Birds
TV Show
America NT Model (4 eps)
Aquaman
Desperate Housewives (16 eps)
Veronica Mars (15eps)
Music
3.57gb
Podcast
500mb
Photo
400mb

And AppleTV says I've only got 2.30GB of free space.

Can this be right?
I saw a lot more content (music, movies, tv shows, podcasts) on the one showing at MacWorld.

indraunt@gmail.
Mar 28, 2007, 06:59 AM
I have over 80 movies (out of roughly 700 DVDs still to be converted...) and about 350 episodes of various shows, plus 4gigs of tunes and a few photos.
I don't care about the hdd in the appletv - its not there for storage. For me, it is simply a convenient way of organising my stuff into 'watched' and 'unwatched', which is really what I think the idea behind it is.
Streaming works brilliantly... I never even expected it to have a hdd in the first place. It could be there as a bit of a safety net - giving them bit of allowance for expansion later on.
It doesn't matter how big your library is in comparison to the appletv's hdd - if you have a good network (I don't have this new 'n' or whatever) then why do you want it to have a bigger drive? You can't use it for storage, because the instant you delete it from your computer the appletv will sync and remove it from its own... so... why?

Mr.A
Mar 28, 2007, 08:14 AM

Forgive my ignorance, but why not? Does Sound Check not function in a similar fashion to a user-controlled volume?
------------------

My reasonable wish list:
- 5.1 audio
- Ditch the need to change sources. Show synced & available streaming libraries together (filtering out the duplicates).
- External HD support
- Separate playlists for each photo album.
- On-demand purchasing w/ some sort of "rental" option.
- iPod/First letter sorting for large libraries.
- More screensavers, themes, etc.

mommy
Mar 28, 2007, 10:10 AM
I love our Apple TV. It is just what we've needed for a long time. With that said, here is my wish list after using it for 4 days.

- Parental controls! I have a toddler. Tivo KidZone is a wonderful thing. I would like something analogous on the Apple TV - that is, to use content that hasn't been marked as "kid safe," you have to authenticate somehow. I know, the Apple remote doesn't have number keys to type a PIN. But there has to be something that can be done - even something as simple as being able to put kid-safe stuff under a separate menu.

- Video playlists. I have a big collection of short cartoons on DVD. I would love to rip them and put them on "shuffle" and have my own (good) cartoon network. I am sure the same goes for people who like music videos.

- Better photo browsing, with thumbnails like iPhoto or the iPod.

Thank you for asking/reading.

HelixOmnimedia
Mar 28, 2007, 10:16 AM
I love our Apple TV. It is just what we've needed for a long time. With that said, here is my wish list after using it for 4 days.

- Parental controls! I have a toddler. Tivo KidZone is a wonderful thing. I would like something analogous on the Apple TV - that is, to use content that hasn't been marked as "kid safe," you have to authenticate somehow. I know, the Apple remote doesn't have number keys to type a PIN. But there has to be something that can be done - even something as simple as being able to put kid-safe stuff under a separate menu.

- Video playlists. I have a big collection of short cartoons on DVD. I would love to rip them and put them on "shuffle" and have my own (good) cartoon network. I am sure the same goes for people who like music videos.

- Better photo browsing, with thumbnails like iPhoto or the iPod.

Thank you for asking/reading.

After playing with AppleTV for 24 hours now, I have to agree on all of your points.

I really hope the people at Apple are reading these.

chowdah
Mar 28, 2007, 10:28 AM
- video playlists especially useful for those of us with lots of video podcats... on iTunes I have smart playlists that show me the new stuff... those playlists get pushed to the :apple:TV ... but they're empty.

- Some audio podcasts (Lost Podcast with Jay and Jack, Infected, etc..) have enhanced features (embedded pictures)... :apple:TV should recognize this and do something fancy with it... right now I have to disable the album art screen saver to enjoy this content... :apple:TV should either add this embedded content into the screen saver... or have a new screen saver for it... or something...

- access to meta data for podcasts... I want to be able to read full descriptions and see meta data while the podcast is playing...

- option to separate audio and video podcasts into separate areas... with mixed podcasts showing up in both areas.

- when video wont be pushed to :apple:TV because of incompatibility... tell me what the deal is... what is the format of the video... (it looks like frakin' MPEG4 to me!!!!).... this is especially applicable when the freaking video plays in unmodified itunes...

- optionally sort podcasts by last updated...

- podcasts, podcasts, podcasts..... the future is podcasts...

-- oops... forgot to mention the bugs... had some lock ups... podcasts that don't play all the way through.. or lose video part way through... but play fine in iTunes... and there is an extremely annoying bug where it sometimes forgets where I was in a podcast... or refuses to acknowledge that I've completely watched something always showing it as "new" (little blue dot)...

hegor
Mar 28, 2007, 12:35 PM
IPTV channels
HD content on iTunes
Rental service on iTunes

Mar 28, 2007, 02:03 PM

Parental controls are built into iTunes preferences. In iTunes 7, required for AppleTV, you can put a cap on the highest MPAA rating allowed to a user. This can be set differently for different user accounts.

FreeState
Mar 28, 2007, 06:28 PM
Some things I think we will get with a software update.. this is all taken from the current iTunes language files...

Manage your ATV files manually:

"4309.061" = "Are you sure you want to manually manage music on your Apple TV? You will need to manually eject your Apple TV before it can be disconnected safely.";
"4309.062" = "Are you sure you want to manually manage music and videos on your Apple TV? You will need to manually eject your Apple TV before it can be disconnected safely.";
"4309.063" = "Are you sure you do not want to manually manage music on your Apple TV? All existing content on the Apple TV “^1” will be replaced with content from your iTunes library.";
"4309.064" = "Are you sure you do not want to manually manage music and videos on your Apple TV? All existing content on the Apple TV “^1” will be replaced with content from your iTunes library.";

Use the hard drive as a hard drive like an iPod can:

"4309.065" = "Enabling the Apple TV for disk use requires manually ejecting the Apple TV before each disconnect, even when automatically syncing music.";
"4309.066" = "The software required for communicating with the Apple TV is not installed correctly. Please reinstall iTunes to install the Apple TV’s software.";

Voice memos from your iPhone:

"4309.071" = "Voice Memos";
"4309.073" = "The Apple TV “^1” contains new voice memos. Would you like to move these voice memos to your iTunes library?";
"4309.074" = "Moving voice memos to your iTunes library…";

Syncing of contacts, calendars, nikeplus data

"4309.127" = "Syncing contacts on “^1”…";
"4309.128" = "Syncing calendars on “^1”…";
"4309.129" = "Sending workout data to nikeplus.com…";
"4309.130" = "Downloading Nike*+*iPod voice kit…";
"4309.131" = "Installing Nike*+*iPod voice kit…";
"4309.132" = "Syncing contacts and calendars on “^1”…";

Games:

"4309.161" = "Are you sure you want to sync games? All existing games on the Apple TV “^1” will be replaced with games from this iTunes library.";
"4309.162" = "Are you sure you do not want to sync games? All existing games on the Apple TV “^1” will be removed.";
"4309.163" = "Syncing games on “^1”…";

Purchasing directly from ATV:

"4309.194" = "The Apple TV “^1” was not erased and synced because some iTunes Store purchases were not transferred to this iTunes library.";
"4309.195" = "Waiting for Apple TV…";

brandon6684
Mar 29, 2007, 05:35 AM
Not so much aimed at the AppleTV itself, but more at the iTunes side, I just want good HD content from Apple, maybe even some kind of IPTV streaming.

patrick0brien
Mar 29, 2007, 11:54 AM
-FreeState

Um. Wow. That was impressive.

How'd you do that?

charlie20003
Mar 29, 2007, 01:11 PM
Everyone here seems to bang on about the same things - essentially small tweaks. Support for external storage - that's just MORE storage, support for connecting an iPod - the video on your iPod is already on your Mac, support for buying from the iTunes store from the Apple TV - nice but hardly ground-breaking. Let's think outside the 'watching tv/listening to music on it' functionality!

The recent changes to iChat to allow qualified USB Webcams to work with it got me thinking (either a sign that there will be a new USB based iSight, or there definitely won't be one). Anyway - I'd like to see iChat (probably AV only) on the Apple TV - think of all those sci-fi movies where you have people chatting with their mom via the living room tv.

FreeState
Mar 29, 2007, 01:11 PM
-FreeState

Um. Wow. That was impressive.

How'd you do that?

Command click on the iTunes icon in the application folder and select show package contents.

Then navigate here

contents>Resources>English.lproj>Localizable.strings

Open up "Localizable.strings" with text editor and you can view all of that and much much more...

patrick0brien
Mar 29, 2007, 02:27 PM
Let's think outside the 'watching tv/listening to music on it' functionality!

-charlie20003

But, thats... not what it's designed for. IMHO that's a whole new device.

FreeState
Mar 29, 2007, 02:37 PM
-charlie20003

But, thats... not what it's designed for. IMHO that's a whole new device.

I agree partially. The iPod was designed to be an excellent music device. However as time when on it added games, movies, TV etc etc. These are things that are conveniences that are not to far off of the initial devices functions and purpose.

I think Apple is doing the same thing with ATV - it will add every option you have on your iPod/iPhone to make it a true convergence device. In addition to that it might add options that are conveniences to the end user that are specifically related to TV, but probably not a full blown anything other than the original intent - iTunes on your windscreen TV... IMO.

Apple IMO is going to work on the video part - because that is what its primary use it. It has to have its primary use be excellent so it can be seen as the must have leader. And its just about there except for content. The HD trailers are excellent - once Apple gets content in this quality they can start focusing on other convergence ideas.

patrick0brien
Mar 29, 2007, 02:43 PM
The iPod was designed to be an excellent music device.

-FreeState

Have you ever wondered why it was called the iPod? And not the iMusic? ;)

FreeState
Mar 29, 2007, 02:49 PM
-FreeState

Have you ever wondered why it was called the iPod? And not the iMusic? ;)

LOL - maybe because iMusic was taken already - or better yet iPod is hardware not music :)

Most likely Apple had a different idea when they originally released the iPod and then found that marketing it worked best when they made it do one thing better than any other device could at the time without to much bloat:) But Im pulling this all out of my b*tt so Im most likely wrong! :eek:

indraunt@gmail.
Mar 29, 2007, 10:23 PM
Further from the pointlessness of upgrading the hdd of your AppleTV - Why do folks want to plug a hdd into the AppleTV? What's wrong with plugging it into your computer? My network is... g? the one before n... whatever the hell it is... anyway, my point is that streaming is flawless - no interruptions, only a second or two of waiting at the start while it buffers... Is that 2 second wait really enough for people to cry about a lack of storage on the AppleTV?
Cummon folks - Justify all this storage rubbish for me. I just don't get it.

patrick0brien
Mar 29, 2007, 11:10 PM
Further from the pointlessness of upgrading the hdd of your AppleTV - Why do folks want to plug a hdd into the AppleTV? What's wrong with plugging it into your computer? My network is... g? the one before n... whatever the hell it is... anyway, my point is that streaming is flawless - no interruptions, only a second or two of waiting at the start while it buffers... Is that 2 second wait really enough for people to cry about a lack of storage on the AppleTV?

-indraunt@gmail

Well, I think this is one of those differences in values folks have. I for one run a gigabit network and still would like bigger HDD, because I have lots of pics and such, and having it all in the :apple:TV is simple.

I like simple.

GregA
Mar 30, 2007, 02:51 AM
- Merge shared sources (don't list duplicates). Would be nice to get a list of what's available without seeing who has it. Me and my girlfriend have a shared iTunes account. We both have our laptops. We can't sync everything to the AppleTV. Would be nice if it was a seemless list of what's on the network (and cached locally) that I can view.
<snip>
- Would be nice to be able to stream FROM the AppleTV. Lets say I push a video to the AppleTV. I am at work with my laptop, my GF should be able to watch the video on her laptop if she wants. Just adds some more flexibility.
My biggest hope and wish is that with iLife07, Apple will introduce an integrated media management system of some form. People have photos on different computers, music spread around, they're syncing devices... and we need a better management system.

I do believe Apple is looking into this with Leopard - but perhaps we can ignore that for the moment, since iTunes does run on Windows.

Could Apple provide a way of presenting multiple itunes libraries as a single library, to everyone in your house? Naturally you'd only see what you could play, and you wouldn't have any more privileges than you have now - it'd just be a single library.

And if you had this 'single library' and had a shared hard disk (maybe on an Airport Extreme?), would you care if all the music was centrally stored?

Synching with more than one computer! My photos are all over the home network!
The good thing about photos is that Apple lets you move them around. Would you like a central library, with a subset of albums on your laptop (synchronised just like we put a subset of albums onto an iPod?).

An AppleTV working with this central storage (even if it just simulates a central storage), could change the way we access our media.

GregA
Mar 30, 2007, 03:18 AM
allowing purchases from itunes helps integrate apple's business plan, which is to become your primary provider for entertainment content. Adding DVR directly thwarts this objective by allowing a user to go to an outside content provider.

So in short, while DVR is the one feature that might make me like :apple: TV enough to buy it, I think it will never happen.

I agree for a different reason.

With Time Machine, Apple may be about to let you backup EVERYTHING you have, on .Mac (or similar). If your home got hit by lightening, you could buy a new Mac and login as you and have all your data at your fingertips in a very short time.

Music & Photos are big, but it's quite doable. Backing up movies is far harder. If all your movies are purchased from Apple, then they can pretend to back up your movie (in reality they just send you a new copy).

So I agree - Apple isn't going to provide a DVR. And they don't want people building their own DivX libraries either (for a similar reason, though the files are smaller than DVR files).

ps. The last side effect of backing up everything is that we can purchase as many iTunes movies and shows and we don't have to worry about not having enough local disk space. Apple removes a big barrier to purchasing.

brucebrendon
Mar 30, 2007, 10:12 AM
Howdy folks,

:apple:TV would only be of use to me if:

1. i could stick a HD disc in some new mac and watch it wirelessly

2. i could login to a/my mac (maybe via iChat) and use wireless keyboard and mouse

then i'd get one and a new mac.

everything else seems to be just buying into buying, Zzz...

:apple:

pumpkinhead
Mar 30, 2007, 03:09 PM
Everyone here seems to bang on about the same things - essentially small tweaks. Support for external storage - that's just MORE storage, support for connecting an iPod - the video on your iPod is already on your Mac, support for buying from the iTunes store from the Apple TV - nice but hardly ground-breaking. Let's think outside the 'watching tv/listening to music on it' functionality!

The recent changes to iChat to allow qualified USB Webcams to work with it got me thinking (either a sign that there will be a new USB based iSight, or there definitely won't be one). Anyway - I'd like to see iChat (probably AV only) on the Apple TV - think of all those sci-fi movies where you have people chatting with their mom via the living room tv.

Very insightful, this makes perfect sense to me! Apple have been aggressively enabling their PC's, notebooks (and soon standalone monitors) for iSight video conferencing/chat. Why not turn every TV in every living room into a wide-angle video-call device?

Question is, does that h.264 chip in the AppleTV encode as well as decode? I know there were some rumours of adding h.264 encoding to a lot of apple devices recently.

Even if not, they could build the encoding chip into the next iSight and pass the lower-bandwidth encoded A/V over USB into the AppleTV putting very little load on the little box. This would help justify relatively high price they would inevitably put on it.

And, the iSight is/was auto-focus too (kind of unique), perfect for the different focus lengths present in the living room environment, where people are not always a set distance from their screen.

Man, if they aren't going to do it, they should think about it now! There's another 100% margin piece of hardware many would be happy to purchase. I know I would drop and extra $100 to add "grandparent-friendly" video conferencing to my olds back in Australia.

And I'm not even going to mention the home-grown streaming content this could make available....better get those parental controls working...

blybug
Apr 1, 2007, 08:55 AM
I'll buy movies from iTunes when I can burn them to DVD and play them in our DVD player in our vehicle for our kids.

It is sad that I have to burn songs to disk and reimport them. It is sad that Mac the Ripper has to exist. Nonsense.
Last road trip I crawled under the drivers seat and plugged the video feed of my iPod into the video-in of the onboard DVD player in the van. Instant access to dozens of movies...no more swapping out DVDs while driving.

BobtheTomato
Apr 1, 2007, 02:17 PM
Actually the thing is growing on me. I'd like a larger hard drive and a smarter way to manage/backup movies. The iTunes movie store isn't a bad deal ($10 for a recent movie is good enough for me) but I don't like not having a ready made local backup (for my MP3 collection in iTunes the CDs are in the closet). For the AppleTV with iTunes movies I have to get a DVD burner to make a backup and/or a big drive for the desktop to store an extra copy of movies (we probably won't have a mega library but still at a gig a shot that's a pretty good amount of space). Now I could re-download them if the AppleTV puked but even on Road Runner downloading 40 gig or so would take a while (and might draw an excessive bandwidth complaint from my ISP).

Then there are all the movies not available on iTunes. Right now I'd have to violate the DMCA and monkey around a bit to get a movie from DVD. That would entail quite a few hours of CPU time (which is precious commodity around here with 6 users and 3 G4s). What I really want is a box/software that lets me deal with movies the way iTunes and the iPod lets me deal with music: Rip easily and quickly and then just enjoy my media without worrying about fooling with the discs. Renting movies via the iTMS could be cool, but I'd be happy if I could just get our favorites into the box and have those handy without having to find the disc or worry if it is scratched when I want to watch it.

SLiM620
Apr 9, 2007, 05:52 AM
i love the ichat idea and it sounds very likely....an isight camera is as good a use of the usb port as any

Doctor Q
Apr 14, 2007, 04:48 PM
Unless I'm missing something, if you organize your photos albums in iPhoto into folders, the Apple TV ignores the folders, and shows you all photo albums all the time, making you scroll through a huge list.

There appears to be no way to display the folders or open/close them to make it easier to navigate among your photo albums.

The Apple TV should mimic the iPhoto folder display and behavior.

trule
Apr 15, 2007, 02:46 PM

Would be nice NOT to have to turn my PC/Mac on so that I can watch a movie on Apple TV...because there was no room left on the 40G disk. Mind you I have 100 DVD's I would like to use over Apple TV so even a 120G disk is not going to help me much.

Streaming a DVD from PC to Apple TV would be nice, for rental DVD's and such.

Doctor Q
Apr 15, 2007, 03:19 PM
Streaming a DVD from PC to Apple TV would be nice, for rental DVD's and such.Are you saying you would forgo having a DVD player and use Apple TV instead, if it could do this?

Otherwise, why wouldn't you just pop a rental DVD in a DVD player? That seems a lot easier, already works now, lets you watch in whatever resolution your DVD and DVD player and TV support, lets you us any special features on the DVD, and gives you surround sound.

blackbones
Apr 16, 2007, 01:35 PM
would like to see the streaming radio stations that are available in iTunes (and ones i have added) available on appleTV.