PDA

View Full Version : Help with External Hard Drive Setup for Mac Powerbook...

Cnumb
Mar 26, 2007, 08:52 PM
A while back I bought an external hard drive for my PC, but then ditched the PC and decided to hook up the hard drive to my Mac.

My External Hard Drive is a: 149.1 GB WDC WD 16 00JB-00GVA0

The problem is, I can access all the information but it will not let me do anything on the external harddrive (Like creating a file, copying and pasting a file on there, etc.) However, I can save Torrent downloads on the harddrive, but they do not show up on the actual external hard drive. But, when I press the "Find/Show directory" button in Bittorrent it does find the files.

Is there something I need to do, Or is it just incompatible with my Mac?

Thanks in advance...

TheBobcat
Mar 26, 2007, 09:00 PM
I believe that you can only read the files but can't write to an NTFS drive if I'm not mistaken.

Scorpius
Mar 26, 2007, 10:32 PM
Correct. You probably formatted the external HD in NTFS and can only read from the drive. If it was formatted in FAT32, then your Powerbook could read and write to it. FAT32 only allows for file sizes that are 4 GB and smaller, however.

So if you want to read and write to it, you're going to have to format the drive again from your Powerbook. Save anything you need before doing so, of course. Then you can just put everything back when the drive is in proper format.

FJ218700
Mar 26, 2007, 10:33 PM
I assume that your permissions are set correctly?

"command-i" when drive icon is selected.

Mechcozmo
Mar 26, 2007, 10:36 PM
Open Disk Utility, click on the disk in the left-hand pane... what does it say about the drive?