Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
I tried Google and the forums search, but couldn't find any mention of this.

I'm running an up-to-date copy of XP Pro in the latest version of Parallels. Works absolutely swimmingly except when I close a window within Windows--then Parallels itself stalls for about 5 seconds with a spinning beachball. Everything else runs absolutely full speed, and its not Windows that's stalling, it's Parallels--the menu bar is unresponsive.

Doesn't matter HOW I close the window, the stall always occurs, and this was definitely not a problem with earlier versions of Parallels. In fact, I don't remember this happening even with this version when I first upgraded, but I use Windows so rarely I may not have noticed.

I'm pretty sure I've got plenty of RAM (MPB w/2GB, 1GB allocated to Parallels), and I've tried turning off most of the "Coherence" features, so Parallels isn't displaying anything in the dock nor is it live updating. And I'm running the latest Parallels Tools version, although I haven't yet tried reinstalling.

Anybody else seen this? Any suggestions of what I might try?

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
I tried Google and the forums search, but couldn't find any mention of this.

I'm running an up-to-date copy of XP Pro in the latest version of Parallels. Works absolutely swimmingly except when I close a window within Windows--then Parallels itself stalls for about 5 seconds with a spinning beachball. Everything else runs absolutely full speed, and its not Windows that's stalling, it's Parallels--the menu bar is unresponsive.

Doesn't matter HOW I close the window, the stall always occurs, and this was definitely not a problem with earlier versions of Parallels. In fact, I don't remember this happening even with this version when I first upgraded, but I use Windows so rarely I may not have noticed.

I'm pretty sure I've got plenty of RAM (MPB w/2GB, 1GB allocated to Parallels), and I've tried turning off most of the "Coherence" features, so Parallels isn't displaying anything in the dock nor is it live updating. And I'm running the latest Parallels Tools version, although I haven't yet tried reinstalling.

Anybody else seen this? Any suggestions of what I might try?
What version of Parallels do you have?
If you have an expanding disk, try compacting it. It may have reached its size limit.

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
What version of Parallels do you have?
If you have an expanding disk, try compacting it. It may have reached its size limit.
Thanks for the suggestions. Version 3188, the latest (at least according to the built-in updater). I'd already looked at the expanding disk, and there are a good couple gigabytes left, so that doesn't seem to be a likely cause. But I did run the compaction routine and that didn't help.

Reinstalling Parallels Tools didn't help either. I was running ClamWin, and just to check I tried uninstalling that and installing the Kapersky Internet Security thing that comes with Parallels, but that didn't make any difference either (not that it should, since it's Parallels stalling, not Windows).

I'm stumped.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.