PDA

View Full Version : Uses for Powermac G4

macgeek77
Mar 27, 2007, 09:37 AM
I have a 400 MHz PowerMac G4 and am thinking what I could possibly do with it. Is there any use left in it, or should it be trashed? Thanks.

xyian
Mar 27, 2007, 09:49 AM
There is still a lot of use in that machine. Make it a server: music or movies, use it for photo editing, etc....
People were using that machine all over the place four-five years ago, there's no reason that machine can't be used for the same things still.

nplima
Mar 27, 2007, 09:52 AM
use it as NAS, like this RedTomato guy here: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=231364

Lord Blackadder
Mar 27, 2007, 09:58 AM
1. Web Server

2. Internet/email/Office

3. Music server

4. light iPhoto use

If you put $600-700 into it you could upgrade the CPU, RAM, HDD, DVD-RW and video card and it will be able to play (some) HD video, run iLife (iMove/iPhoto/iDVD/Garage Band) well and run games like Knights of the Old Republic and Call of Duty (and maybe Call of Duty 2 depending on how much you upgrade).

That will cost you about as much as a Mac Mini but has some advantages over the Mini in the realm of HDD options and video cards - but it will have a noticably slower CPU, FSB and RAM.

I love my G4 (see sig) and it's still my primary computer, but they're getting long in the tooth.

dornoforpyros
Mar 27, 2007, 10:07 AM
You know I've been asking myself the same question this last week about what to do with my g5, it's only 2 years old and far from useless, but it doesn't see a lot of use since I got my MBP. Plus the 20" screen is great for DVD's.

Once I'm working again and have the money I think I'm gonna install a pair of 500gb drives, install some sort of front end media software (front row or MediaCentral) and a IR receiver and a remote.

Aside from the media center I also wanna get it set up to automatically back up my MBP (and any other comps) over the network.

nplima
Mar 27, 2007, 11:33 AM
If you put $600-700 into it

... you're insane. :D

there are plenty of games available for consoles or Windows boxes that can be bought new with US$600.

the OP obviously has already a Mac replacement for this G4, all iLife experience OP may want is already covered. just keep the G4 for cheap, reliable, *silent* storage for the LAN.

NL

Lord Blackadder
Mar 27, 2007, 11:36 AM
... you're insane. :D

there are plenty of games available for consoles or Windows boxes that can be bought new with US$600.

Well, I did my upgrades a couple years back - before the Intel switch, it made a lot more sense. I figured that it went without saying (from my description) that it is no longer economical to do it.

princealfie
Mar 27, 2007, 11:48 AM
I have a 400 MHz PowerMac G4 and am thinking what I could possibly do with it. Is there any use left in it, or should it be trashed? Thanks.

Wow, if you want to, I would love to have the Powermac G4 :D

Raid
Mar 27, 2007, 12:24 PM
I have a 400 MHz PowerMac G4 and am thinking what I could possibly do with it. Is there any use left in it, or should it be trashed? Thanks. Hell I'm still using my 466MHz G4 and it's still going strong with only RAM and a video card upgrade. I'll be replacing it when the 8-core machines come out, but that's because I need to start on a few video editing/DVD projects that my poor old G4 just can't hack. :o
oh and I wan't to play BF2 with my friends :D

If you know of somebody with typical user needs (web surfing, email, light iphoto use) why not give it to them? If you are feeling up to it you could also donate it to a local charity. If you aren't feeling very altruistic you could also set it up as a small webserver or a backup server.

Just please don't trash it. It's still a working machine that others could use!

velocityg4
Mar 27, 2007, 01:01 PM
You can install OS 9 and have a hardcore classic Mac OS gaming machine. I was thinking of getting a G3 for this purpose as I have a binder full of game CD's; Age of Empires 1 and 2, Civilization, Diablo II, Sim City 2000 among others:cool:

FJ218700
Mar 31, 2007, 02:52 PM
I basically turned my 400 Mhz PowerMac into a wireless external hard drive loaded with 3 200 Gb Seagates for my iTunes video and music collection. It is running 10.4. I use CotVNC to control it when needed.

product26
Mar 31, 2007, 03:38 PM
We use old g4s and g3s as client computers for Terminal Services/Remote desktop.