PDA

View Full Version : N64 Expansion Pak

eb6
Mar 27, 2007, 08:45 PM
2 Questions:

1 - Does it noticably improve the look of the game?

2 - Where can I get one?

(I have a 2g 10gb iPod with a bad HDD if someone fancies a trade :) )

Chone
Mar 27, 2007, 09:00 PM
Doesn´t this thread belong to 2000 or something?

10GB iPods? N64 expansion paks? Heh, doesn´t look like a new post thats for sure.

As for your question it improves the image quality somewhat but some games (like Majora´s Mask) require it so its not a bad purchase... as for getting one, try ebay...

eb6
Mar 27, 2007, 09:05 PM
I busted out the 64 a week or so ago and have been hooked on Ocarina of time.

sikkinixx
Mar 27, 2007, 09:09 PM
I'm fairly sure they do nothing to the game UNLESS the game says it needs it. I know Perfect Dark only works (well you can do a few things without the expansion pack...) well with the pack. But thats the only game I know of that needs it... maybe LoZ:MM?

edit: Ok, it seems to be used to improve some games! :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Expansion_Pak

Dagless
Mar 27, 2007, 09:26 PM
Cool as!

Yea. I can't remember specific titles, but I remember splitscreen multiplayer games ran a little bit better with an expansion pack in.

God if only the N64 could connect to my monitor I'd be back on Mario 64, Goldeneye, OoT... :o

rockthecasbah
Mar 27, 2007, 09:28 PM
I'm fairly sure they do nothing to the game UNLESS the game says it needs it. I know Perfect Dark only works (well you can do a few things without the expansion pack...) well with the pack. But thats the only game I know of that needs it... maybe LoZ:MM?

edit: Ok, it seems to be used to improve some games! :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Expansion_Pak

Donkey Kong needed it because i remember it came bundled with that when i picked up back in the day... great game :)

Suture
Mar 27, 2007, 09:29 PM
Hah, I remember picking one up so I could play Turok 2 with better textures and/or resolution.

Now that I think about it (N64), I really did like Beetle Adventure Racing.

gkarris
Mar 27, 2007, 10:09 PM
Star Wars Pod Racing looked better with it.

The actual Nintendo ones go for a lot of money.

There are a bunch of third party ones out there for less...

dabirdwell
Mar 27, 2007, 10:54 PM
also looks a lot better if you have the expansion pack.

My six year old inherited my old 64 last year and he got a ton of stuff for it this holiday season.

Bobdude161
Mar 27, 2007, 11:26 PM
Yes it makes SOME games look better. Road Rash 64 and Vigilante 8 had an option for a higher resolution when the expansion pack was detected. It took out some of the jagginess (whatever the word is for that), but the detail was the same and it cut a noticeable amount of FPS.

eBay? Yes?

EDIT: And Turok 2 had an option I think as well for a higher resolution

holamiamigos
Mar 28, 2007, 08:21 PM
i remember getting it with dk 64 and wondering what it was... man i was so clueless.. it was a little weird to put in to...

jdechko
Mar 29, 2007, 08:17 AM
2 - Where can I get one?

Well, I'm not familiar with your location :D , but if you're in the states, you might want to check out EB Games/Gamestop/Rhino. Normally, these stores aren't worth the hassle, but when looking for old game accessories, you gotta take what you can get. Also, look for garage sales. Might be able to pick one up for very little, though you stand the chance of spending more on gas then on the product itself. Then, there's always ebay.

cycocelica
Mar 29, 2007, 04:44 PM
I still have my N64 out. My roommates and I play Mario Kart and Super Smash all the time. Classic games.