Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

G5Unit

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 3, 2005
I'm calling the cops
I have 2 speakers in my bathroom that connect to an audio source with regukar speaker wire. Yet with my new setup I no longer have a reciever. Is there any adapter that I can plug into my 1/8 stereo plug on my PowerMac, and it will convert the signal and have regular speaker outputs at the other end?

Super Macho Man

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2006
Hollywood, CA
You need an amplifier of some sort to drive the speakers. I would recommend buying an old used stereo receiver on eBay. Should easily be able to find one for under $50. It will have stereo RCA inputs. You would get a 1 1/8"-to-RCA adapter, connect the Mac to the receiver, and then the speakers would connect with speaker wire.

G5Unit

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 3, 2005
I'm calling the cops
What kind of speakers and why do you not have a receiver anymore.

Well I got a new desk and the receiver wont fit. I still have it, but it's in another room right now. They are just regular YAMAHA in ceiling speakers. So there is NO way to drive the speakers without an amp?

I couldn't use a speaker switcher? I don't need to listen to the ones in the bathroom AND in my room. I would just have the L and R speakers in my room connected to the switch, along with the bathroom ones.

Yet there is no way to have them both playing? I don't know.

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
Your speakers need amplification. The Mac output does not have amplification (beyond the miniscule wattage that headphones need)

So whatever you come up with has to solve that primary requirement.

Asking the same question different ways does not alter that fact.

Yes of course you can have them both playing.... IF they are driven from an amplifier or receiver of some sort. A speaker switch doesn't change that.

You need to sort out how to get the output of the Mac to the receiver, and then wire both pairs of speakers to the receiver.

Or, get an Airport Express if you have Wireless in your Mac, plug it into the receiver, and send the signal to the receiver wirelessly.

Or, get another receiver or amp for the computer room (wait, bathroom? whazzup with that - you use your Mac in the loo? ;))

Or get powered speakers for the computer and forget the Yamahas.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.