PDA

View Full Version : Xbox360 Elite officially announced

fiercetiger224
Mar 28, 2007, 12:18 AM
http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/776/776448p1.html

Hmm...I'm so glad I waited! Looks like I'll be saving up for one! Now I'll have all three consoles! WOOT! :D

But really, which would you go with: PS3 with Blu-ray and any kind of hard drive, or a 360 with proprietary hard drive? Personally, I'd go with a PS3.

G5Unit
Mar 28, 2007, 12:22 AM
I guess it's time to return my Xbox 360 to costco.

rtdgoldfish
Mar 28, 2007, 12:27 AM
I guess I'll be pre-ordering one of these tomorrow since my 360 is still MIA. Gives the cops a month to track it down. If I don't have my old one back by then, I'll grab the Elite.

Doesn't seem that bad a deal since it comes with an HDMI cable and the new 120 gig HD will retail for $179. The black color will also match most of my electronics (except for the Wii).

fiercetiger224
Mar 28, 2007, 12:37 AM
Haha and everyone thought it would be some kind of big April Fools joke by Game Informer. :rolleyes:

The problem that I now see with three different SKUs is the fact that ONLY the top model has HDMI. They should have included HDMI in all the newer models. But, I guess I can understand why Microsoft made that decision. It's so that they won't piss off current customers that previously bought a 360. They would have to go the Elite model to get HDMI. Oh well, still very glad I waited. Now some of the triple A titles have dropped in price. :D

Revlimit Punk
Mar 28, 2007, 12:57 AM
The microsoft marketing guy says that the parts will be the same except for the bigger hd and hdmi output... So I guess that means it will still be as noisy and likely to break as the current models.

And that means I'm keeping my x360 pro.

fiercetiger224
Mar 28, 2007, 01:05 AM
Yeah, hopefully maybe they'll be quieter? I don't think it'd ever be as quiet as a PS3...That 12x drive will never be as quiet as a 2x Blu-ray drive...

Revlimit Punk
Mar 28, 2007, 01:13 AM
Yeah, hopefully maybe they'll be quieter? I don't think it'd ever be as quiet as a PS3...That 12x drive will never be as quiet as a 2x Blu-ray drive...From the interview I got the feeling that the inside of the machine will be just the same as the current models.

Kinda like the black macbook is the same as the white macbook, but with a bigger hard drive.

EM87
Mar 28, 2007, 01:18 AM
WOW, I really feel like MS have screwed me now, moves like this do not make your fanbase feel too good and it does not strike much confidence in people either. Seems to ms that instead of just making a console and going with it, >S are doing a thing like "See we can do that as well Sony", seems a little childish to me.

fiercetiger224
Mar 28, 2007, 01:19 AM
From the interview I got the feeling that the inside of the machine will be just the same as the current models.

Kinda like the black macbook is the same as the white macbook, but with a bigger hard drive.

You know what? It's just Microsoft just trying to turn a profit...I think this may have really been a bad move on Microsoft's part...Having multiple SKUs isn't a great idea either...I think Sony's got some brownie points for moving towards just one SKU, the "elite" 60 GB PS3.

http://blog.wired.com/games/2007/03/sony_responds_t.html

giganten
Mar 28, 2007, 01:22 AM
Does it have the new 65 nm chipset?
On temaxbox forum they say it is same parts as in the old units.
From IGN Article:

The new "Elite" console contains the same parts, processors and chips as the Core and Pro units, and is the same dimensions, only it's got an HDMI port on its back-side (in addition to the standard RGB port) and comes with a 120GB hard disc drive (HDD), cables and headset, all in black.
http://forum.teamxbox.com/showthread.php?t=516104

And is the hdmi alone worth to upgrade to the elite from the premium? You can get the 120Gb hdd as a stand-alone accessory.

And Sony responds: http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/13112/Sony-Responds-to-Xbox-360-Elite-Announcement/

fiercetiger224
Mar 28, 2007, 01:28 AM
WOW, I really feel like MS have screwed me now, moves like this do not make your fanbase feel too good and it does not strike much confidence in people either. Seems to ms that instead of just making a console and going with it, >S are doing a thing like "See we can do that as well Sony", seems a little childish to me.

Yeah, except they forgot to include HD-DVD. :p

Microsoft is falling into Sony's little trap: they've got the advantage of making a profit because Sony's got a higher priced console, BUT Sony's also losing money for us consumers. Once everyone realizes that, and adds the prices up for the things the 360 is missing (such as wireless and HD-DVD), man does a PS3 seem like an incredible value. Not only that, the 1.6 update really kicks the PS3 up a notch in functionality. They've also got a greater variety of games coming out...We'll see how this turns out.

And really, I feel really sorry for the people that bought a 360 only a couple months ago...It's a shame that Microsoft has to be childish. :rolleyes:

EM87
Mar 28, 2007, 01:57 AM

Microsoft is falling into Sony's little trap: they've got the advantage of making a profit because Sony's got a higher priced console, BUT Sony's also losing money for us consumers. Once everyone realizes that, and adds the prices up for the things the 360 is missing (such as wireless and HD-DVD), man does a PS3 seem like an incredible value. Not only that, the 1.6 update really kicks the PS3 up a notch in functionality. They've also got a greater variety of games coming out...We'll see how this turns out.

And really, I feel really sorry for the people that bought a 360 only a couple months ago...It's a shame that Microsoft has to be childish. :rolleyes:

Smart ass:p Childish was probably the wrong word.

Also wouldn't Sony Computer Entertainment still be making a profit from PS2 console, software and accessory sales even though they loose money on every PS3?

SamIchi
Mar 28, 2007, 02:57 AM
So no new chips or drives... sad. I'm happy woth my premium.

giganten
Mar 28, 2007, 03:28 AM
So no new chips or drives... sad. I'm happy woth my premium.

Yeah same here and I think the white is better looking too.

Nicolasdec
Mar 28, 2007, 03:41 AM
Cool :), I'm happy that it came out, Its funny that evry body knew it was comeing out before it was officially announced, i whouldent change my current xbox 360 for it just for hdmi and a bigger HDD. I was a little bit angry that they dident enclude the wireless bridge built in. also they could have added a new User interface the current one it horrible :(

Bobdude161
Mar 28, 2007, 04:09 AM
t3h new xb0x tree60 is teh 1337 roxzorz.

FleurDuMal
Mar 28, 2007, 04:50 AM
Hopefully the premium will come down in price now, if not at retail, then at least second hand as a flood of old 360's come onto the ebay and from the people who simply must have the best of everything.

Is there anyone who's actually struggled with the current size hard drive? Will I have any use for such a huge hard drive if I don't actually use it as a media centre?

Anyway, I much prefer the white 360. Though neither are as ugly as the PS3.

FleurDuMal
Mar 28, 2007, 04:52 AM
Oh yeah, and no built in Wifi is just stupid. Those things are so cheap these days that it could only cost them a few more quid to put it in.

combatcolin
Mar 28, 2007, 04:53 AM
No HD DVD
No Wi Fi.

:mad: :(

Oh well.

pcypert
Mar 28, 2007, 04:56 AM
Wow, I need to sell mine for other reasons and just sold it before the announcement. Probably would have driven the price of mine used down a bit...glad I got it off. Nothing on this really interests me that much still...kind of underwhelming to me actually...if they packaged some other stuff like free live for a year and other things maybe...but as is no...

Paul

killr_b
Mar 28, 2007, 04:59 AM
Really? NO internal Wi-Fi. Wow. W->T->F. :mad:

Markleshark
Mar 28, 2007, 05:08 AM
Yey. They've done it right.

120Gig Standalone, so I can upgrade that (As im not bothered about HDMI) stupid HD content is massive.

No mention of Europe yet though, oh well.

shadowmoses
Mar 28, 2007, 05:23 AM
No mention of Europe yet though, oh well.

Yup, hope it gets a simultaneous worldwide launch Im sure there will be some news on this topic very soon, I really want to pick up one of those 120gb HD's and a black wireless controller!!

ShadoW

Markleshark
Mar 28, 2007, 05:37 AM
Yup, hope it gets a simultaneous worldwide launch Im sure there will be some news on this topic very soon, I really want to pick up one of those 120gb HD's and a black wireless controller!!

ShadoW

It wont be. We'll get it just before xmas.

Jasonbot
Mar 28, 2007, 05:37 AM
From engadget: "It still doesn't have integrated WiFi (Xbox said it's because a study showed the majority of their customers use Ethernet to connect -- huh?), and it won't have an integrated HD DVD drive (not that we expected otherwise)"

LOL, no wireless because microsofts market research is flawed:D

Jaffa Cake
Mar 28, 2007, 05:42 AM
I read the thread title and got really excited because I thought an Xbox360 version of the seminal Space trading game was scheduled for release...

Ah well. :o

zap2
Mar 28, 2007, 05:55 AM
They should have add Wi-Fi, up the 400 Model to HDMI, 120GB Harddrive, then give the core 20Gb harddrive and Wi-Fi, and no HDMI. None of this werid 3rd SKU...still better then no Xbox 360 improvement, plus the kept the low end so I can buy what I want.

giganten
Mar 28, 2007, 06:06 AM
More info here (http://xboxyde.com/news_4145_en.html).

As I'm sure you all already know, the Xbox 360 Elite has finally been announced last night. XCN just sent us this nice Q&A session with Michael Newey, Platform Marketing Manager of Xbox Europe.
Q: Could you tell us exactly what gamers will get when they buy a Xbox 360 Elite console?

Mike Newey: Sure. Included with your Xbox 360 Elite you’ll get a 120 GB hard drive, a high-definition multimedia interface (HDMI) port built-in to the console, a high definition cable, and a premium black finish for the console, wireless controller, and Xbox LIVE headset. So not only does the Elite console have the bigger hard drive and the HDMI port, it also looks really cool.

Q: Will we be able to buy the new Elite accessories separately?

Mike Newey: Absolutely. Offering Xbox 360 owners the choice to upgrade and customise their console in whichever way they want is very important to us, so we will be making all of the Elite accessories available separately. The 120 GB hard drive, the black Wireless Controller, the black Headset and the Xbox 360 HDMI cable will all be available for sale separately in the US from April 29, and we’ll be announcing European launch dates for these accessories as soon as we can.

In addition, we will also be releasing black versions of the Xbox 360 Play & Charge Kit and the Rechargeable Battery so you can ensure all your accessories match! Again, we’ll bring you more details about when these accessories will launch in Europe soon.

Q. When will the Elite console be available?

Mike Newey: The Elite Xbox 360 will be available in the US from April 29. We have not announced release dates for the Elite console in Europe yet, but rest assured that as soon as we can let you know we will.

thegreatunknown
Mar 28, 2007, 07:43 AM
From engadget: "It still doesn't have integrated WiFi (Xbox said it's because a study showed the majority of their customers use Ethernet to connect -- huh?), and it won't have an integrated HD DVD drive (not that we expected otherwise)"

LOL, no wireless because microsofts market research is flawed:D

actually I would claim their research is probably spot on. There is not very many people who will buy a $400 system which should have wi-fi built in and since it doesn't will go spend another $100 for the MS antenna. That is outrageous. I for one will continue to use a cable when every thing else I have is wireless because I will not be forced into their marketing scheme.

Jasonbot
Mar 28, 2007, 08:08 AM
actually I would claim their research is probably spot on. There is not very many people who will buy a $400 system which should have wi-fi built in and since it doesn't will go spend another $100 for the MS antenna. That is outrageous. I for one will continue to use a cable when every thing else I have is wireless because I will not be forced into their marketing scheme.

Well the comedy in it is that the consumer desn't use Wi-Fi because it's expensive. But now, if it were built in, don't you think more people would use the built in wi fi instead of ethernet :D <-note teh smiley.

wwooden
Mar 28, 2007, 08:24 AM
I might have been a little mad if they either included WiFi or had priced it at $400. I could care less about the 120gig harddrive, I stream all my music and pictures from my computer. I don't have a 1080p tv and am perfectly happy with how my VGA cable performs. I personally really like the white, all my controllers, HD-DVD drive and wireless headset are white and it would look weird with a black console. I think they are making a bad move here, 3 SKU's is just stupid IMO.

I've said it before, they need to drop the price of the WiFi adapter to $40-$50 and it will fly of the shelves. I bet they would sell 4X as many and double their revenue. It's crazy the price they have it at now, it doesn't make sense when you can buy the wireless router that supplies the signal for less than the price of this dinky USB adapter. Also, if they drop the price, it would make it more comparable to the PS3. For $50 more than a PS3 you could get a 360 Premium, HD-DVD drive, and WiFi + the great 360 selection of games out.

Jovian9
Mar 28, 2007, 08:31 AM
My Xbox 360 still works great even though the new one has been announced.....and they are not making me buy it :)

Though someone who wants an HDMI 360 and a bigger hard drive has a version they can buy now. I don't see what's wrong with that. More options for the customer....people wanted it and Microsoft gave it to them. They could have done a few more things but overall it's an upgrade.

The biggest news to me is this:
"A standalone $179.99 HDD also ships April 29. This package includes one 120GB HDD, software, and a specialized cable to port data from a user's current hard drive to the new one."

I can upgrade my hard drive , TRANSFER MY CURRENT DATA FROM THE 20GB HARD DRIVE, and start downloading a lot more from the Marketplace. That's excellent!

fiercetiger224
Mar 28, 2007, 08:33 AM
http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/776/776455p1.html

Haha...That's just retardid. What Microsoft is doing is not making any sense. "Let's release the Elite model is the US and UK, but leave JP out of the question! Since we aren't doing so well over there, it means that Japanese gamers don't care about our console!" Smooth move. But seriously, it's either a good move, or a bad move. Wouldn't they want to test the market out a little bit in Japan? I think it's still the most important territory to worry about.

Anyway, on the issue of pricing, Microsoft is trying to milk our money with the peripherals. Then the 360...They're not going to drop the price until Sony drops their price, because they're trying to make as much profit as they can since they've got a price advantage. It'll be a while before we see a pricedrop... :eek:

zoetropeuk
Mar 28, 2007, 08:37 AM
None of this werid 3rd SKU...

WTF difference does it make if there's 50 different SKUs, I simply don't understand why this is even mentioned.

Matt

giganten
Mar 28, 2007, 08:40 AM
My Xbox 360 still works great even though the new one has been announced and they are not making me buy it :)

Though someone who wants and HDMI 360 and a bigger hard drive has a version they can buy now. I don't see what's wrong with that. More options for the customer....people wanted it and Microsoft gave it to them. They could have done a few more things but overall it's an upgrade.

"A standalone $179.99 HDD also ships April 29. This package includes one 120GB HDD, software, and a specialized cable to port data from a user's current hard drive to the new one."

I can upgrade my hard drive , TRANSFER MY CURRENT DATA FROM THE 20GB HARD DRIVE, and start downloading a lot more from the Marketplace. That's excellent!

I am with you. More options for the customer is always good.

fiercetiger224
Mar 28, 2007, 08:42 AM
My Xbox 360 still works great even though the new one has been announced and they are not making me buy it :)

Though someone who wants and HDMI 360 and a bigger hard drive has a version they can buy now. I don't see what's wrong with that. More options for the customer....people wanted it and Microsoft gave it to them. They could have done a few more things but overall it's an upgrade.

Haha you're just one of the few who isn't pissed off. :rolleyes:

If you bought a core system, and just upgraded to the 120 GB HD, then it would cost the same price as the Elite model! $299 + $179 = $478...If you bought a premium model, then...You already spent MORE than a 20 GB PS3 that has HDMI and Blu-ray! $399 + $179 = $578. You know, everyone just doesn't realize that until they add it up...Money is money. They need to drop prices on those accessories.

Who do you think is more greedy now? Sony or Microsoft? :p

sikkinixx
Mar 28, 2007, 08:48 AM
"I think and hope that people are going to understand. There is as price for being an early adopter and your points and feelings are valid (Penello said when referring to gamers IGN suggested would be angry about the new system). But whenever you innovate and change, you have to face this situation. Your same old system is still perfectly valid."

"We could never have done this before, to bring HMDI and 120 GB to the system when we launched in 2005. The reason we didn't do it before was because the HDMI standard wasn't complete. It takes time to develop these things. We started the console earlier than Sony did and when the HDMI standard wasn't done. At the time we were developing, this stuff was in transition."

******* off you couldn't have in HDMI in 2005. MS really irks me with this move. I wanted a god damn HDMI port.... :mad:

This is such an obvious attempt to play the whole "lets match Sony" game. I mean come on, lets make it black (like PS3), with HDMI (like PS3) AND OMG 120GB HDD! IT's teh bigger than Sony!

um...but you can buy any old hard drive for a PS3, whereas your 120GB drive is almost $200 bucks...

fiercetiger224
Mar 28, 2007, 08:53 AM
"I think and hope that people are going to understand. There is as price for being an early adopter and your points and feelings are valid (Penello said when referring to gamers IGN suggested would be angry about the new system). But whenever you innovate and change, you have to face this situation. Your same old system is still perfectly valid."

"We could never have done this before, to bring HMDI and 120 GB to the system when we launched in 2005. The reason we didn't do it before was because the HDMI standard wasn't complete. It takes time to develop these things. We started the console earlier than Sony did and when the HDMI standard wasn't done. At the time we were developing, this stuff was in transition."

******* off you couldn't have in HDMI in 2005. MS really irks me with this move. I wanted a god damn HDMI port.... :mad:

I agree. There was already PLENTY of TVs with HDMI connectors in 2005! THE ORIGINAL HDMI SPEC was back in 2002!!! :eek:

Is it just me, or does Microsoft think that us consumers are stupid? Obviously they don't care about the current 360 owners. I can already feel the anger that you guys have...As for me, I'm actually pissed off for you guys. I mean, I've waited all this time to get one, and now I can get an Elite model. But, that means that people who have gotten a 360 a year before...Man... :(

More options to piss of the current customers eh?

mkubal
Mar 28, 2007, 08:57 AM
Is this a limited run as we had heard before?

If so won't that hurt their sales of the lower two units as people would now see them as the "tard pack." Consumers will wait for Microsoft to release the HDMI version at the $399 price point and at the same time MS would be waiting for consumers to clear out inventory of the mid range so they could intro the new model at a lower price.

And please don't try to argue that consumers wouldn't see the $399 as the "tard pack." Regardless of the fact that it functions just as well, people would realize that for $80 more they could have the HDMI and 120 GB HD, thus rendering the $399 model a poor choice. Even removing HDMI from the picture, they would get the $179 120 GB HD for an upgrade price of $80.

Of course once you get to the point of buying the elite for $479, any consumer sitting on the fence between PS3 and 360 has to really weigh the options. Assuming they wanted wireless, which isn't a stretch of the imagination, there's only a $20 difference between the two. The upside of the 360 is the game library, the upside of the PS3 is BluRay. It just doesn't bode well for MS to make it easier for the consumer to pick the PS3 over the 360.

P.S. Before someone says I'm a PS3 fanboy here is my current next gen setup: 360 premium, wireless, HD-DVD drive.

sikkinixx
Mar 28, 2007, 09:07 AM
$480 elite + $100 wireless + $200 HD-DVD drive = $780 for the full 360 experience.

Nicolasdec
Mar 28, 2007, 09:10 AM
Hope it dosent sound like jet takeing off like the white xbox 360...

fiercetiger224
Mar 28, 2007, 09:12 AM
$480 elite + $100 wireless + $200 HD-DVD drive = $780 for the full 360 experience.

$180 more than a PS3. Wow! I can so get a 120 GB OEM drive for LESS THAN $100! :rolleyes:

So if I got a PS3 "elite", and got a 120 GB OEM drive, IT'D STILL BE CHEAPER THAN AN ELITE 360! WTF WTF WTF WTF!?!?!?! :eek:

zero2dash
Mar 28, 2007, 09:14 AM
They should have add Wi-Fi, up the 400 Model to HDMI, 120GB Harddrive, then give the core 20Gb harddrive and Wi-Fi, and no HDMI. None of this werid 3rd SKU...still better then no Xbox 360 improvement, plus the kept the low end so I can buy what I want.

That's a great set of ideas, but if Microsoft did that it would imply that they actually have a brain or two and they clearly don't. :rolleyes: :mad:

This is such an obvious attempt to play the whole "lets match Sony" game. I mean come on, lets make it black (like PS3), with HDMI (like PS3) AND OMG 120GB HDD! IT's teh bigger than Sony!

um...but you can buy any old hard drive for a PS3, whereas your 120GB drive is almost $200 bucks...

Yep...I agree wholeheartedly.
Their excuses are laughable.

I hope my (recently RoD fixed) 360 doesn't break down after the 1yr warranty is up because if it does, I may spend my money elsewhere (ie Ps3 if I don't already own one) where at least I know I won't be nickel-and-dimed. :cool:

After this fiasco, I don't think I'll be spending much money in the XBLM anymore. I spent (roughly) $5 on 3 UFC videos (including Liddell-Ortiz 1) and for my trouble, I have 4gigs free on my 12g HD. (I say 12g since that's all they give us on a "20g HD".)

mkubal
Mar 28, 2007, 09:14 AM

I didn't add the HD-DVD to my calculations in the post above yours because it's technically not needed to play games. That's why it'll be a tough choice for the consumer. You can spend just $20 more to get something that plays games and functions as an HD movie player. Adding an HD-DVD drive obviously tilts the scale well into the PS3s favor.

MS could be stomping Sony right now if they were willing to lose as much money per console sold. I would guess that decreased manufacture costs have MS making a respectable amount from each console sold. And then of course it's "rape time" on the accessories.

applekid
Mar 28, 2007, 09:15 AM
Is this a limited run as we had heard before?

No, according to Engadget and Joystiq.

Well, I guess I'm sticking to my plan of getting a premium X-Box 360 this summer. No point in paying extra for HDMI for my uses and 20 GB sounds plentiful for X-Box Live and game saves for me. Like I've said many times before, I wish there was a price drop, but it's not happening.

giganten
Mar 28, 2007, 09:17 AM
I was pissed off first too but I had the 360 from the lunch and I had fun play all this games. You did buy the 360 because it was what you wanted and you can still play same games without the hdmi, so I am happy. Good for the new customers too they have more options to choose between.

And if I remember right it was a rumor when they did lunch, that they should add hdmi later next year.

suneohair
Mar 28, 2007, 09:25 AM
I am very unimpressed. No Wifi, no 65nm process, no internal power supply, it will still be loud as heck. And if I want it, I am forced to get black, i don't want black.

Someone said why does it matter if their are 3 SKUS. Try this. Look at the Mac Mini, 2 models. One with a superdrive, one without. But what if you want the cheaper one with a superdrive. Whoops guess you are out of luck.

It forces you to buy the higher model. Only the Elite has the HDMI and the 120GB. Of course you could add the 120GB for the rip me off price of $180.

Let's compare that to the Mac Pro. One SKU customizable. No one is left out, you can choose what you want and you aren't limited to getting only certain things on another SKU. Most, including myself, prefer that model. What if Apple put Santa Rosa in the top end MB and left it out of the bottom? Not much of a choice, huh?

People like to think giving you a new SKU is adding to your choice. That isn't the case as you can see. Because in many cases the choice is made for you because you want something on in that one model.

Up until now, I never thought about a PS3. That has changed. Yeah you don't need HD-DVD but they put it out so you would buy it. And when you look at the pricing, the 360 is cheaper but you are getting a lot less. For $120 more than the 360 Elite, I get Blu-ray, media readers, wifi. I can even upgrade the drive to 160GB for only $110.

The PS3 is clearly the better system. If was going to spend retail price on a console it would be the PS3. Hands down.

fiercetiger224
Mar 28, 2007, 09:32 AM
I am very unimpressed. No Wifi, no 65nm process, no internal power supply, it will still be loud as heck. And if I want it, I am forced to get black, i don't want black.

Someone said why does it matter if their are 3 SKUS. Try this. Look at the Mac Mini, 2 models. One with a superdrive, one without. But what if you want the cheaper one with a superdrive. Whoops guess you are out of luck.

It forces you to buy the higher model. Only the Elite has the HDMI and the 120GB. Of course you could add the 120GB for the rip me off price of $180.

Let's compare that to the Mac Pro. One SKU customizable. No one is left out, you can choose what you want and you are limited to getting only certain things on another SKU. Most, including myself, prefer that model. What if Apple put Santa Rosa in the top end MB and left it out of the bottom? Not much of a choice, huh?

People like to think giving you a new SKU is adding to your choice. That isn't the case as you can see.

Up until now, I never thought about a PS3. That has changed. Yeah you don't need HD-DVD but they put it out so you would buy it. And when you look at the pricing, the 360 is cheaper but you are getting a lot less. For $120 more than the 360 Elite, I get Blu-ray, media readers, wifi. I can even upgrade the drive to 160GB for only $110.

The PS3 is clearly the better system. If was going to spend retail price on a console it would be the PS3. Hands down.

Good comparison. :) It's sad that if you get a 160 GB HD, IT'D STILL BE CHEAPER THAN THE ELITE 360! :eek:

combatcolin
Mar 28, 2007, 09:34 AM
$180 more than a PS3. Wow! I can so get a 120 GB OEM drive for LESS THAN $100! :rolleyes:

So if I got a PS3 "elite", and got a 120 GB OEM drive, IT'D STILL BE CHEAPER THAN AN ELITE 360! WTF WTF WTF WTF!?!?!?! :eek:

Now thats an angry comment if ever i saw one.

Atom Bomb sized moan there!

fiercetiger224
Mar 28, 2007, 09:41 AM
Now thats an angry comment if ever i saw one.

Atom Bomb sized moan there!

HAHA true dat! Sorry I got a little angry. Okay I lied. I got very angry. :D

Maybe...I'm not getting a 360 anytime soon anymore...I just realized that Microsoft is even more greedy for our money than ever! I'm not buying into their little game... :rolleyes:

Dagless
Mar 28, 2007, 09:50 AM

We could go off on the cieling price all we want. I mean the full PS3 and 360 experiences can contain any number of games, subscription charges, HD films, broadband connection...

I agree with people on the price. The perfect scenario would be for MS to drop the Core 360 price to 180 (same as Wii here, potentially forcing Nintendo to lower Wii price), drop the Premium to 250 and stick in the Elite at 300. God knows we're ready for a 360 price drop.

Then next year scrap all models and bring out 1 SKU of the 360 II with slightly reshaped design (smaller?), cooler CPU and smaller chips, slightly bumped HDD, built in WiFi.

Ooh- burning question - will the Elite 360 be as faulty as current 360's?

fiercetiger224
Mar 28, 2007, 09:55 AM
Ooh- burning question - will the Elite 360 be as faulty as current 360's?

Which is why I'm now reconsidering buying a 360 Elite...If the same components are being used...I'm not getting one. Microsoft needs to get their quality up. It's one thing that Sony has gotten correct this generation. Their console is quiet, reliable, and most of all, full of power and potential. I think the tides are turning for Sony. Looks like I'll be getting a 360 when it drops down to $200...:o

suneohair
Mar 28, 2007, 09:57 AM
Which is why I'm now reconsidering buying a 360 Elite...If the same components are being used...I'm not getting one. Microsoft needs to get their quality up. It's one thing that Sony has gotten correct this generation. Their console is quiet, reliable, and most of all, full of power and potential. I think the tides are turning for Sony. Looks like I'll be getting a 360 when it drops down to $200...:o

It will use the same components as the original 360:

http://www.joystiq.com/2007/03/28/the-xbox-360-elite-is-official-hdmi-and-120gb-for-479/

Says it toward the end of the article.

StokeLee
Mar 28, 2007, 10:10 AM
Ive just listened to the Major Nelson Podcast off iTunes about the new xbox elite, and the reasons they have launched it seem quite reasonable, and why they have done certain things seem quite reasonable.

How many people on this forum have got a 360? How many people actually connect with a wire, or a wireless bridge? Im connecting with a wire. The lack of wireless bridge doesnt bother me, the inclusion of the hdmi port doesnt really irk me that much, I connect to my Samsung HDTV via component cables, and the difference between the two is something that Id not be able to convince someone in an argument about which was better. The 120 Hard drive, fantastic, about time, and you can buy it separately, Yeah i know its expensive, but if you listen to Major Nelsons podcast you'll find out why, and you get a cable to transfer the contents from your 20gig hd to the new one.

xli_ne
Mar 28, 2007, 10:19 AM
Ive just listened to the Major Nelson Podcast off iTunes about the new xbox elite, and the reasons they have launched it seem quite reasonable, and why they have done certain things seem quite reasonable.

How many people on this forum have got a 360? How many people actually connect with a wire, or a wireless bridge? Im connecting with a wire. The lack of wireless bridge doesnt bother me, the inclusion of the hdmi port doesnt really irk me that much, I connect to my Samsung HDTV via component cables, and the difference between the two is something that Id not be able to convince someone in an argument about which was better. The 120 Hard drive, fantastic, about time, and you can buy it separately, Yeah i know its expensive, but if you listen to Major Nelsons podcast you'll find out why, and you get a cable to transfer the contents from your 20gig hd to the new one.

After listening to an Microsoft employee, it doesn't sound bad. I wonder why? :D

zero2dash
Mar 28, 2007, 10:22 AM
The 120 Hard drive, fantastic, about time, and you can buy it separately, Yeah i know its expensive, but if you listen to Major Nelsons podcast you'll find out why, and you get a cable to transfer the contents from your 20gig hd to the new one.

There's no excuse for charging $180 for a 120gig 2.5" SATA hard drive. None.

Expensive isn't the word. "Anal with no KY" is more like it. :mad:

StokeLee
Mar 28, 2007, 10:24 AM
After listening to an Microsoft employee, it doesn't sound bad. I wonder why? :D

Ive always found his comments to be fair, even when he was talking about the ps3 to some gadgets website that goes on his show.

mkubal
Mar 28, 2007, 10:27 AM
The 120 Hard drive, fantastic, about time, and you can buy it separately, Yeah i know its expensive, but if you listen to Major Nelsons podcast you'll find out why, and you get a cable to transfer the contents from your 20gig hd to the new one.

Admittedly, I stopped listening to Major Nelson after he said that EA making you buy extra jerseys was, in fact, giving you a choice. This was in contrast to almost everyone elses opinion that we were now being nickel and dimed for things that used to be free.

So since I have stopped listening, if you could, please explain about the hard drive being worth $179. Because Newegg is listing 120 gig laptop drives for less than $80.

zero2dash
Mar 28, 2007, 10:34 AM
So since I have stopped listening, if you could, please explain about the hard drive being worth $179. Because Newegg is listing 120 gig laptop drives for less than $80.

The transfer cable & black color = $99 ;)
j/k :D

Markleshark
Mar 28, 2007, 10:37 AM
But, at least they include a HDMI cable and don't forget to tell you that you can't get full HD without it, eh Sony.

Oops, that was a little console war-ish of me.

combatcolin
Mar 28, 2007, 10:38 AM
There's no excuse for charging $180 for a 120gig 2.5" SATA hard drive. None.

Expensive isn't the word. "Anal with no KY" is more like it. :mad:

Not often i've laughed that hard from a post i've read.

Anyway, when the 360 goes 65nm i'll be more tempted.
Nothing worth buying till Sega Rally 3 or Halo 3 is released.
Do like the idea of having lots of HD movie trailers though.

StokeLee
Mar 28, 2007, 10:39 AM

Ok here goes...

Fair comment, Major Nelson, or the guy he's talking to goes on to say about the price difference, the enclosure for the drive, the testing done for the drives that have to live up to a standard of performance and how long they last for. Quality control I guess, yes i know theres been problems with the xbox 360 before anyone says anything about that, but then again, we only hear mainly about the problems with peoples consoles, not about all the ones that people arent having problems with.

Microsoft dont make the hard drives, they buy them, enclose them, add the required software, etc, and then sell them at a profit, OMG a company making a profit,.. I do think that they should drop the price though, but not to less than $80, Id say $140 seems fair.

mkubal
Mar 28, 2007, 10:41 AM
The transfer cable & black color = $99 ;)
j/k :D

Oh that's right I had forgotten. ;)

Actually it might be worth it to me if it would magically allow me to to stream files that weren't WMV. Then I'd buy it even if it wasn't painted black. :)

takao
Mar 28, 2007, 10:49 AM
I agree with people on the price. The perfect scenario would be for MS to drop the Core 360 price to 180 (same as Wii here, potentially forcing Nintendo to lower Wii price), drop the Premium to 250 and stick in the Elite at 300. God knows we're ready for a 360 price drop.

most retailers here (at least the big ones) already dropped the premium to 299 on their own and the core is non-existant

also some super duper set or so for the 360 was released with 2. controller, play and charge kit (i don't know might be even 2) again with remote, head set and something else for 349

ontopic: i think 479 might be too steep especially with the current (only local ?) price drop, 179 bucks for hdmi and 120 GB harddisk and black...

i always thought the microsoft multi unit approach was faulty fro mthe beginning.. instead of focusing on 1 thing to sell the seperate their markeing force with it... it also makes retailers less happy

gkarris
Mar 28, 2007, 10:50 AM

No one said that this whole HD "thing" was going to be cheap (Circuit City commercial where they ask people's opinion on HD - "Wicked expensive").

Black MacBook....

"Black" is the new "it'll cost you more"...

mkubal
Mar 28, 2007, 10:55 AM
Ok here goes...

Fair comment, Major Nelson, or the guy he's talking to goes on to say about the price difference, the enclosure for the drive, the testing done for the drives that have to live up to a standard of performance and how long they last for. Quality control I guess, yes i know theres been problems with the xbox 360 before anyone says anything about that, but then again, we only hear mainly about the problems with peoples consoles, not about all the ones that people arent having problems with.

Microsoft dont make the hard drives, they buy them, enclose them, add the required software, etc, and then sell them at a profit, OMG a company making a profit,.. I do think that they should drop the price though, but not to less than $80, Id say $140 seems fair.

I'm guessing that these hard drives are put together in the same factories in China as the console. $80 is the price I could pay for one MS is buying them in bulk at a discount.

I'm certainly with you on companies making a profit. No one can fault them for that, but when you gouge consumers ($100 wireless WTF?) they take notice. This worries me as a 360 owner because if Sony manages to surpass the 360 total sales (which would mean they were selling like crazy) developers would be more likely to make games for the PS3. So in a sense, I'm greedy. I want games for the system I have.

This is a step in the wrong direction for MS. They have a healthy lead, they could easily stomp Sony with a price cut or an add in like wireless. Instead they increase the price, give you a little more and continue raping you on the accessories. How does a controller cost half as much as a wireless adapter?

Sorry if it sounds like I'm pissed at you, StokeLee. I'm not, just a little peeved at MS that's all. :)

Jovian9
Mar 28, 2007, 10:57 AM
But, at least they include a HDMI cable and don't forget to tell you that you can't get full HD without it, eh Sony.

Oops, that was a little console war-ish of me.

Not at all.....since others are adding complete costs of accessories to the price of the Xbox 360, it's only fair of you to mention that one needs to add the cost of the HDMI cable to the PS3 so that it can actually be in "true" high definition (since it is not high definition out of the box). Has that little tid-bit actually been forgotten by everyone already? So add another $20-$100 depending on how "good" of an HDMI cable one will want/need/be told is the best, etc. :)

The Premium 360 was already giving you HD out of the box and now the Elite will give you HDMI HD out of the box, just as many had hoped for. The PS3 does not give you that. Sony needs to now step up and add this cable for free to their PS3. Then if each company keeps trying to "one-up" the other eventually we'll have consoles that are cheaper, cooler, quieter, come with all accessories one will ever need, and 10 free games :)

In the end; Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo are all out to make a profit. There are many things each could do with their consoles to make them better for us, but they will only do these things once they feel they need to and cannot do much more with the current pricing/configurations. Right now, people are willing to pay these prices so why would a profit driven company want to reduce prices at this point?

I'd like to see:
-360 Elite with wireless for the current premium price and maybe an HD-DVD version for $100 more
-Nintendo Wii for $199 with the ability to connect a USB hard drive (as mine is filling up with all the VC purchases)
-PS3 $100 price drop and included HDMI/Component Cables

All 3 of these companies should do this before Christmas. I'll consider a PS3 once the price comes under $500 and includes the cable (mainly for Blu-Ray). The other 2 I have but I'd consider selling my 360 to get a newer one if the elite contained the above.

Hopefully they will all keep updating their consoles randomly, as I tend to have video game consoles longer than I have computers or cars :) I'd like to upgrade a console every now and then if it's a little better.

jane doe
Mar 28, 2007, 10:59 AM
All I'm interested in is the hard drive. I'm fine with xbox. 1080i is going to be 1080i on component or HDMI.

I only have a limited number of HDMI ports anyway. One is for the AppleTV and the other is for my HD cable box/DVR and I've been saving the last one for the PS3.

The black case would clash with everything else I have on my entertainment center. The TV, AppleTV, Xbox360 and rotel receiver are all chrome or white.

jane doe
Mar 28, 2007, 11:03 AM
Now that I think about it, the post about the HD content taking up so much room is right on. I don't thing 120GB will be enough for all my HD episodes of jericho and enterprise. Much less all my other stuff thats on there.

mkubal
Mar 28, 2007, 11:09 AM
Now that I think about it, the post about the HD content taking up so much room is right on. I don't thing 120GB will be enough for all my HD episodes of jericho and enterprise. Much less all my other stuff thats on there.

You haven't heard about the upcoming proprietary 360 External 3.5" 750 GB HD from Microsoft? What's the price you ask? Well, if you have to ask maybe you should start looking into refinancing your house soon. Or get a second job. :D

zero2dash
Mar 28, 2007, 11:28 AM

Use the AppleTV for downloaded shows (rumor is HD versions are coming?).

If you fill the HD up, upgrade it (http://www.engadget.com/2007/03/23/how-to-upgrade-the-drive-in-your-apple-tv/) and put a new one in (if you're tech savvy and don't mind voiding the warranty).

jane doe
Mar 28, 2007, 11:38 AM
I really hope they have some kind of external storage for the 360.

As far as using the AppleTV for downloaded content, I agree. There are some problems on that end at the moment that is being worked out.

When I download Jericho I get screwed. I can watch it for free the night it comes out in 1080i but if I miss that episode I can either pay for less then DVD quality (appleTV) or pay for 720p (xbox360).

rtdgoldfish
Mar 28, 2007, 11:56 AM
My little rant...

I don't understand what all the complaining is about. The 360 Elite is not ment to be purchased by everyone. They are still offering the Core and Premium systems and they will continue to offer the 20 gig and 120 gig hard drives. If you don't want HDMI, then just get one of the other two systems. If you don't want a black 360, get one of the others. If you want wireless, buy the adapter. Its the same system just with different options. To me, its like buying a car. If you want a bigger engine, you pay a bit more. You want leather seats?? That will cost you extra. At least Microsoft is offering you a choice, unlike Sony who is forcing a $600 console down your throat.

The way I look at it, if you want to buy a 360 just to play games, you can get a Core system for $300. Heck you can even get them used for around $250 now. If you want to add media content (download movies, music, whatever), you get the Premium. And if you are a tech nut, get the Elite. Its up to the buyer to decide what they are going to use the system for and there is no sense in charging someone for something they won't use. And sure, Microsoft is making money off this model. Really, how many people that own a 360 own the HD-DVD drive, the wireless adapter, the XBox camera, etc?? Again, at least Microsoft is giving you a choice.

Almost everyone is ignoring what the 360's primary use is: TO PLAY GAMES! Sure the media content and voice/video chat is there as well but thats not its main purpose. Its like someone buying a Mac and then bitching about no games being available to play on it. You don't buy a Mac only to play games, you don't buy a 360 only to watch videos.

...End of rant

With all that said, I'm still going to buy the Elite version if my stolen 360 doesn't show up by April 29th. My 20 gig HD was nearly overflowing and I found myself having to delete stuff on a regular basis. The HDMI will be nice to have and the black color will match most of the stuff in my entertainment center. Again, this is how I will use it. It may not be everyone's opinion so stop with the "Oooo Microsoft is teh sux and only wants my $$"

Haoshiro
Mar 28, 2007, 12:07 PM
http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/776/776448p1.html

Hmm...I'm so glad I waited! Looks like I'll be saving up for one! Now I'll have all three consoles! WOOT! :D

But really, which would you go with: PS3 with Blu-ray and any kind of hard drive, or a 360 with proprietary hard drive? Personally, I'd go with a PS3.

Can you actually switch the internal PS3 harddrive without voiding your warranty?

Personally I like the attachment-style interface for the 360 HDD better (simpler solution).

FleurDuMal
Mar 28, 2007, 12:36 PM
Is there any benefit of HDMI if you won't be using the HD-DVD's, and you only have a 720P TV?

jane doe
Mar 28, 2007, 12:42 PM
Is there any benefit of HDMI if you won't be using the HD-DVD's, and you only have a 720P TV?

Even with HDDVD I don't see a benifit. Component is fine. The only advantage HDMI gives is it carries digital audio as well. This is not that big of a deal since the Xbox also has optical out.

HDMI is DVI with audio. The resolution will stay the same, quality will stay the same. HDMI is easier to connect but if your already running with component there is no need to go changing everything up for something thats going to improve it very little, if at all

mrgreen4242
Mar 28, 2007, 12:46 PM
Never understood that logic, never will. Oh well.

Ya, they should have bundled the HDDVD drive inside and integrated the WiFi to the main board, but oh well. I'm really only interested in this because it should hopefully push the prices for a 360 Premium down (on the used market at the least) and I'm thinking of getting one to connect to the VGA port of my computer monitor to use for gaming and not fret over getting a Mac with a decent GPU. :P

jaw04005
Mar 28, 2007, 12:47 PM

It's relative and depends on the device. Generally, HDMI is clearer and provides a sharper picture.

When using component on my Oppo DVD player and PS3, I have "jaggies" on both menus and content. When using HDMI on both, the "jaggies" virtually disapppear and there is less ghosting during fast action.

Are you going to be able to tell the difference several feet away from TV? Depends on your eyesight.

It also depends on how your television handles (internal processing) HDMI and component. On my 32" Samsung, there is noticeable difference between the processing of HDMI sources and component sources. HDMI wins hands down.

You know there's a difference when non-techy members of your family ask "Why does the [movie, game, menu] look different?"

mrgreen4242
Mar 28, 2007, 12:49 PM
Even with HDDVD I don't see a benifit. Component is fine. The only advantage HDMI gives is it carries digital audio as well. This is not that big of a deal since the Xbox also has optical out.

HDMI is DVI with audio. The resolution will stay the same, quality will stay the same. HDMI is easier to connect but if your already running with component there is no need to go changing everything up for something thats going to improve it very little, if at all

Well, there are two reasons to want HDMI; 1) unused connections on your TV - it helps to have options! I only have two HD inputs on my (older) HDTV and it's nice to be able choose the input a device uses based on what's available. 2) HDCP issues with future HD movies - they've not used it yet, but there will be a time when movies will require HDCP to playback in HD.

Haoshiro
Mar 28, 2007, 01:11 PM

Whatever you guys say... I've had mine since January 2006 and not had a single problem.

They've already gone through some hardware revisions, no reason to assume they are as faulty as people love to suggest... especially considering there are more people with launch units that have never had problems then people that have.

It's smart to get some sort of warranty (or buy from a place with a good return policy) for any electronics purchase, and if you do... then if you happen to have a problem you should just be able to exchange locally anyway. Just be smart about your purchase, keep your receipts, and you have no reason to worry.

Re: HDMI - You might get a little bit better picture/color fidelity, although chances are good you won't really notice.

fiercetiger224
Mar 28, 2007, 01:27 PM
Can you actually switch the internal PS3 harddrive without voiding your warranty?

Personally I like the attachment-style interface for the 360 HDD better (simpler solution).

Yes, you can switch it without voiding your warranty. Think MacBook style. Take the HDD cover off, unscrew, pull left, and switch HDD. Just as simple. :)

fiercetiger224
Mar 28, 2007, 01:29 PM
Whatever you guys say... I've had mine since January 2006 and not had a single problem.

They've already gone through some hardware revisions, no reason to assume they are as faulty as people love to suggest... especially considering there are more people with launch units that have never had problems then people that have.

It's smart to get some sort of warranty (or buy from a place with a good return policy) for any electronics purchase, and if you do... then if you happen to have a problem you should just be able to exchange locally anyway. Just be smart about your purchase, keep your receipts, and you have no reason to worry.

Re: HDMI - You might get a little bit better picture/color fidelity, although chances are good you won't really notice.

I agree that you should always get a warranty, but what if you're switching out your console like 3-4 times like people some people have? It becomes a hassle, and a waste of time.

Haoshiro
Mar 28, 2007, 02:09 PM
I agree that you should always get a warranty, but what if you're switching out your console like 3-4 times like people some people have? It becomes a hassle, and a waste of time.

It's a rather big of, though. Sure there seemed to be a lot of reports early on... but the system has been out for over a year now, and the hardware being sold now isn't the same as it was at launch.

Personally, I haven't heard much about system failures beyond the launch systems. It's unlikely more of launch systems failed then didn't. I have a launch system myself, and the majority of 360 owners have not had problems.

suneohair
Mar 28, 2007, 02:26 PM
It's a rather big of, though. Sure there seemed to be a lot of reports early on... but the system has been out for over a year now, and the hardware being sold now isn't the same as it was at launch.

Personally, I haven't heard much about system failures beyond the launch systems. It's unlikely more of launch systems failed then didn't. I have a launch system myself, and the majority of 360 owners have not had problems.

I would disagree, nearly half of the people in my friends list have been through at least 2 boxes, some as many as 4 and 5.

A lot of them I met online, and so it is mixed throughout the country. These things have issues.

Besides it is frickin loud and hot. The drive is loud and screws up discs randomly. There have been quite a few red ring of death posts and articles around the net even within the last few months. The problems are still there.

zero2dash
Mar 28, 2007, 02:30 PM

There have been quite a few red ring of death posts and articles around the net even within the last few months. The problems are still there.

Me. :(
Bought my system Nov06...manufacture date of May06.
Died 3 weeks ago, sent for repairs, got it back in 6 days. :o

I hope it doesn't crap out again before the warranty's up otherwise I'm going to be very very pissed off. :p :D

fiercetiger224
Mar 28, 2007, 02:39 PM
A buddy of mine bought a 360 in November of last year and his system crapped out on him 2 weeks ago. As of right now it's getting repaired. I'm still not convinced that Microsoft has stepped up their quality yet. Doesn't it make more sense to produce a better quality system than to use cheap parts that'll later be replaced by the same cheap parts when repairing? And how many times can Microsoft keep doing it without losing money? I'm sure Microsoft is losing quite a bit of money on these consoles that have crapped out. :eek:

Haoshiro
Mar 28, 2007, 05:36 PM
Come on people, there have been millions of these things sold over the last year, and you're complaining about a handful of problems you've heard people have?

Think about it, even if you had heard dozens, if not hundreds of problem reports... that is nothing.

If 1,000 systems out of every million were bad, that would be 0.1% (1/10 a percent).

Factor in 10 million units sold, you'd end up with 10,000 problematic systems... and it would still only be 0.1% failure rate (extremely low!)... have you heard or seen 10,000 failure reports? I sure as heck haven't.

It's been said many times in other threads, the people with problems always shout the loudest... if every person who has never had an issue with their 360 posted every few months (which would be ridiculous), it'd be so easy to tell there are less people with problems then without. Just because you know X number of people with problems really isn't saying much.

But hey, if you want a reason not to buy one then you aren't going to listen to anyone who doesn't agree with you, right? Fine by me, it's not my problem... but don't go spreading around the FUD, just because The Internet & Friends convinced you it was true. :P

On a funny side not (Re: 360 is load), my wife and I were in GameStop just yesterday, and she comments "Wow, that PS3 is so loud you can hear it over the entire store" - A 360 and Wii were both running as well, and sure enough... walked over to the PS3 and it was the one kicking out the horrible noise.

My guess is the cooling on a PS3 just isn't enough, so there were extra fans in the kiosk. But I'm not going to say the 360 is quiet, I'd definitely like it to be quieter too. :D

Coded-Dude
Mar 28, 2007, 05:43 PM
Only problem is there aren't 10 million units in the consumers hands, more like 6 to 8.
Consider that, and the fact that most people I know that bought a launch 360 have had to replace it at least once(for some it was 3 to 5 times) - and your well beyond 0.1%
Although you could say the same thing for Sony's blunders, like DRE.
(but that would mean you have to say something positive about Sony)

All I hear is how crappy PS2 hardware was, and how 360 issues are blown out of proportion........ :rolleyes:

twoodcc
Mar 28, 2007, 05:44 PM
well at least they are updating it....

Haoshiro
Mar 28, 2007, 07:58 PM
Only problem is there aren't 10 million units in the consumers hands, more like 6 to 8.
Consider that, and the fact that most people I know that bought a launch 360 have had to replace it at least once(for some it was 3 to 5 times) - and your well beyond 0.1%
Although you could say the same thing for Sony's blunders, like DRE.
(but that would mean you have to say something positive about Sony)

All I hear is how crappy PS2 hardware was, and how 360 issues are blown out of proportion........ :rolleyes:

The point was simply that these things get blown out of proportion, like you said.

Personally, I haven't heard of that many problems with PS2 hardware. I've personally had issues with first-generation PS1 hardware which seemed to have widespread over-heating issues.

I don't know many people with 360s personally either, but wouldn't consider that knowing a hand full of experience people have had personally is enough information to make any factual point.

Changing up the numbers doesn't make that much worse. At 6 million units sold, you could have 30,000 failures (with 10,000 of those complaining online) and still be at less then 1% failure rate.

Having a 99.5% chance of getting a console in perfect working order sure isn't bad. People act like buying a 360 is some huge gamble, when it isn't and they could even further improve their odds by getting a proper warranty. That could be said about any of the current or last generation consoles.

People from "all sides" toss all sorts of FUD around, and it's more likely then not it's not even worth the worry.

giganten
Mar 29, 2007, 02:35 AM
If you want to know what is on the 120Gb hdd read this (http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/13122/Xbox-360-120-GB-HDD-Content-Revealed/).

Microsoft let us know that every standalone 120 GB hard drive and Xbox 360 Elite hard drive will have the full version of the Xbox Live Arcade game Hexic HD as well as a variety of dashboard themes and gamer pics. The stand alone 120 GB hard drive will be preloaded with between 3-5 game demos depending on the region as well as an assortment of Xbox Live Arcade games demos and HD game trailers.

Dagless
Mar 29, 2007, 06:23 AM
If you want to know what is on the 120Gb hdd read this (http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/13122/Xbox-360-120-GB-HDD-Content-Revealed/).

That will instantly be lost as soon as you transfer your old HDD across.

fiercetiger224
Mar 29, 2007, 07:52 AM
That will instantly be lost as soon as you transfer your old HDD across.

That's silly. I think you should be able to copy just one drive over with the current data on the disc already intact.

Anyway, Sony is planning an 80 GB version of the PS3. Maybe they're going to take the 20 GB model off and put the 60 GB at $549 and have the 80 GB at $599? Who knows when this'll happen. I'm guessing around holiday season.

http://www.macworld.com/news/2007/03/29/ps3/index.php

ijimk
Mar 29, 2007, 08:11 AM
how much will the 120 gb hard drive be? THe 20 gb HD was listed at $100 US on the Xbox website but the new 120 gb has no price....:confused:

giganten
Mar 29, 2007, 08:36 AM
how much will the 120 gb hard drive be? THe 20 gb HD was listed at $100 US on the Xbox website but the new 120 gb has no price....:confused:

179$ if I remember right but not sure.

Edit:

Xbox 360 120GB hard drive: The 120GB detachable hard drive allows gamers to save their games and store television shows, movies, music, pictures, trailers, levels, demos and other content available from Xbox LIVE Marketplace.3 The hard drive is sold separately for an estimated retail price of $179.99 (U.S.).
http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/13111/Microsoft-Unveils-Xbox-360-Elite/