PDA

View Full Version : Hell just frozen over ... twice

takao
Mar 28, 2007, 06:59 AM
what the ... seriously if somebody told me that 14 years ago i would have laught:

Nintendo just announced "Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games" exclusiv for Wii and DS
looks like we finally can look who really is the better of both ;)

-playable characters will be Mario, Sonic, Luigi, Knuckles, Yoshi, Tails and more
-official Bejing 2008 license
-distributed by sega in europe and US and by Nintendo in japan

guess sonic in SSBB isn't too far of now

.. meanwhile somewhere else in the Famitsu: Tecmo announces Ninja Gaiden ... for ... the ...DS
DS hold sideways and the game is mainly controller by the stylus with the only exception being blocking
map on the left side and game on the right

http://img141.imageshack.us/my.php?image=3872jnsnbngndstr9.jpg

anybody wants to guess what crazy games will come next ?

darkwing
Mar 28, 2007, 07:08 AM
Holding the ds sideways? That's an interesting idea. I hope it won't be one large screen on both, though. That's crummy with the gap. (ie, sonic ds.) The sonic/mario game sounds interesting. I'm betting Sonic wins the races, and Mario wins the high jumps. :)

Dagless
Mar 28, 2007, 07:16 AM
Whoa, I'm all for that! Think the last "olympic" style game I played was the Winter Olympics on the Amiga, and before that Starfish Olympics (IIRC?) was a great silly game.

Sonic in SSBB? I just can't picture Sonic in a well made 3D game.

pcypert
Mar 28, 2007, 07:41 AM
Olympic games are worthless without the power pad :) Just sit on the ground on your knees and pound the mat with your fists at drum like speed...the only way to beat Cheata. With the addition of the Wiimote you'd have discus and shot put covered too :D

I don't know. An Olympic game with horrible crossovers. Sound like a horrible proposition to me. Like lame holliday programming or horrible movie tie ins. What's with fanboys and mixing universes? How is that something that wets the trousers? Alien and Predator together in one comic/game/movie...oh boy! Sonic AND Mario...world's are colliding, must breathe....if...only...they....could...add...Zelda....too....too perfect to think about....something like that. What gives? I thought things were about gameplay, but apparently to some gameplay = gimmickie ideas. No mention of gameplay style, games, etc. Just the mention of mario and sonic and people are already on board...

Paul

Dagless
Mar 28, 2007, 08:10 AM
[Mindless post until] Just the mention of mario and sonic and people are already on board...

Paul

Yet another ignorant post. Yea, my excitement has nothing to do with the fact Nintendo and Sega are working together (*FZeroGX*). :rolleyes:

Try harder :D

takao
Mar 28, 2007, 08:12 AM
No mention of gameplay style, games, etc.

well it's about the olympics so that kinda gives a good idea of what games/sports are possible it's not like it's something obscure to imagine

actually sprinting,swimming and table tennis got mentioned so i kinda hope they add as many as possible... especially the not so well known

jdechko
Mar 28, 2007, 08:57 AM
Olympic games are worthless without the power pad :) Just sit on the ground on your knees and pound the mat with your fists at drum like speed...the only way to beat Cheata.

The power pad is (not was, is) awesome. But there's a better way to run fast. Use your heels. :)

"If you beat me, you're the best." :D

Sky Blue
Mar 28, 2007, 08:59 AM
No mention of gameplay style,

Mario & Sonic at the Olympics is a Strategy RPG with a First Person view and some random Tank Battles now and then...
...What do you think gameplay/game styles are going to be, it doesn't take a genius...

pcypert
Mar 28, 2007, 09:04 AM
Exactly though. No one is clamouring for Olympic games...and by their own admission aren't playing the ones that have come out recently. But an olympic game with Sonic and Mario in it...that must be better? Just because Sonic and Mario are both in it (if this isn't another April Fool's - right around the corner folks) doesn't mean the development teams will really fully represent both parties. And which Sonic team will it be? The folks that did a 3d Sonic? Which Mario team or Nintendo team? The folks that did Sunshine? What engine is the game running on? Who are the major players? Quote me some real, hard facts about developers, teams, producers, etc to show that this is a done deal before we've even seen gameplay vids.

I'm all for fun games and have liked Olympic games in the past. Remember one that had arm wrestling in it for the NES with mad button tapping action. But how are these folks so infallible (particularly the Sega folks if they are indeed on board) that you can proclaim it great news with so little info?

Paul

pcypert
Mar 28, 2007, 09:10 AM
Also, I've heard plenty say they'll "never play a movie tie in game" how is a sporting event tie in any better? Plus to get it by 2008 that game will be really rushed by Nintendo's development standards :) Expect release in time for the Winter Olympics in 2010!

Paul

srobert
Mar 28, 2007, 09:19 AM
Any source or link for the Mario/Sonic crossover? We're getting awfully close to April 1st so I approach every news with caution.

Sky Blue
Mar 28, 2007, 09:53 AM
urgh, I hate this time of year "April fools, April fools!!'" Yes, Nintendo, Sega and the Olympic committee are trying to fool you on March 28th. Cant wait till April 2nd so we won't have to put up with crys of April fools on every announcement.

If you're after press releases:

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/corporate/...07/070328.html

http://segapr.segaamerica.com

http://www.sega.com/gamesite/marioandsonic/index.php

I can't believe anybody can get too excited about this.. it's an Olympic game made by Sega Japan...however, Miyamoto is supervising so you never know..

The game's currently in development by SEGA Japan and Shigeru Miyamoto is supervising the project.

GFLPraxis
Mar 28, 2007, 03:39 PM
Sega is developing? This makes me sad.

Miyamoto supervising? This makes me happy.

sb58
Mar 28, 2007, 05:12 PM
this might be something worth checking out right?

and sorta offtopic, has Nintendo announced at least a release window for SSBB?

GFLPraxis
Mar 28, 2007, 05:31 PM
this might be something worth checking out right?

sb58
Mar 28, 2007, 06:22 PM

oh cool thanks :D

Sky Blue
Mar 28, 2007, 06:47 PM

They've said late 2007, but most probably 2008.

sb58
Mar 28, 2007, 07:04 PM
They've said late 2007, but most probably 2008.

still better then not knowing. :D

ddrueckhammer
Mar 28, 2007, 07:28 PM
Too be honest, any Sports themed Wii game with Miyamoto involved sounds good to me.

I really could care less about the Mario and Sonic tie in. I like both characters but Mario especially is used way too much. I don't want more than 1 or 2 games with a given character on each console. Spin Offs are Ok to an extent but the Mario universe is used way too frequently.

The Zelda franchise is used perfectly IMO. Sure there has been a Tingle spin-off but in general the franchise is used very sparingly. On the other hand, the Mario franchise is whored out constantly. I would think Princess Peach would be getting sore by now....:rolleyes:

SamIchi
Mar 29, 2007, 06:54 AM
Hmm... I dunno. I'm skeptic. I'm usually all for anything that is Nintendo, but this doesn't sound too promising.

On another note, I don't care much for Sonic, he's a cool character and all but his games suck ass. The only really good Sonic game was back on the Genesis. The only good thing I see coming out of this is the high possibility for Sonic to be in Brawl.

sam10685
Mar 29, 2007, 10:30 AM
what's next? this game does sound really good. Sonic in SSBB doesn't sound all that far-fetched.

cycocelica
Mar 29, 2007, 04:39 PM
Master Chief and Mario would be something to get excited about.

BoyBach
Mar 29, 2007, 06:39 PM
'Track & Field' with Mario, Sonic and co.

I don't have high hopes, but it should/would be great with some mates and a few beers!

:)

belovedmonster
Mar 30, 2007, 10:37 AM
Everyone goes on about how much fun Wii Sports is, but the mention of an Olympics game with Mario and Sonic doesnt seem to be impressing you lot. Why not? Just think of it as Wii Sports 2, with better graphics, shed loads more sports, loads of game modes. No one interested?

bwanac
Mar 30, 2007, 05:31 PM
what's next? .

NiGHTS! game for Wii.... thats next.