PDA

View Full Version : 2-stroke/4-stroke lawnmower engine oil? Help.

Pancake
Jun 10, 2003, 05:48 PM
My dad just freaked because he called from work and told my brother that our lawnmower is two-stroke and to buy oil for it and then mow the lawn. So my brother and I drive to the store and buy two-stroke engine oil and put it in our lawnmower . As soon as we are finished putting the oil in my dad calls again and says he thinks it's four-stroke and then freaks out when I tell him we already put the oil in. Here are my questions.

How many lawnmowers are fourstroke?(our lawnmower is a Sears one that is at least 11 years old)

Would it matter if you put 2-stroke oil into a 4-stroke mower?

How much ram does my mower need to run Fallout 2?

Thanks.

pseudobrit
Jun 10, 2003, 05:54 PM
Does it smoke like a pig over a fire, especially during startup (bluish smoke)? Does it make a racket? Then it's probably two-stroke.

Does it have a crankcase with a separate filler neck? Then it's probably four-stroke.

It's so old I would almost guarantee it's two stroke, but the real question is did you get the ratios right for the oil. You're not supposed to just "put it in," you should measure and mix your oil/gas separately.

guitargeek
Jun 10, 2003, 05:58 PM
Is it a riding mower? Most riding mowers are four stroke, I'm pretty sure.

If it's any help, I've got an older Craftsman mower, that's a pusher, and it's four stroke.

Yes, two stroke oil is different, although I'm not sure how different.

Dont Hurt Me
Jun 10, 2003, 06:07 PM
Yeah its different, it should be 4 stroke, did you put the 2 stroke oil in with the gas or did you put it in where you add 30 weight oil?

pseudobrit
Jun 10, 2003, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by Dont Hurt Me
Yeah its different, it should be 4 stroke, did you put the 2 stroke oil in with the gas or did you put it in where you add 30 weight oil?

Well, we don't know if he's talking about a riding mower or a regular lawn mower yet, so we can't give him any advice yet. :rolleyes:

G3-Pwnz-G4
Jun 10, 2003, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by Pancake
My dad just freaked because he called from work and told my brother that our lawnmower is two-stroke and to buy oil for it and then mow the lawn. So my brother and I drive to the store and buy two-stroke engine oil and put it in our lawnmower . As soon as we are finished putting the oil in my dad calls again and says he thinks it's four-stroke and then freaks out when I tell him we already put the oil in. Here are my questions.

How many lawnmowers are fourstroke?(our lawnmower is a Sears one that is at least 11 years old)

Would it matter if you put 2-stroke oil into a 4-stroke mower?

How much ram does my mower need to run Fallout 2?

Thanks.

do NOT put 2-stroke oil into a 4-stroke engine. i really don't feel like explaining the mechanics of it, but just don't do it.

i wouldn't worry about it though, because most push-mowers are 2-stroke. if not, then you just ruined your mower.

G3-Pwnz-G4
Jun 10, 2003, 07:37 PM
oh yea, you need at LEAST 384mb of ram...you can put in 256 but it mostly just causes binding.

Pancake
Jun 10, 2003, 07:41 PM
Thanks.

pseudobrit
Jun 11, 2003, 06:14 AM
Originally posted by Pancake
Thanks.

Eh? So which is it?

Roger1
Jun 11, 2003, 06:47 AM
i wouldn't worry about it though, because most push-mowers are 2-stroke. if not, then you just ruined your mower.

Since when? I've been mowing lawns for the past 25 years, and I've never seen a 2 stroke push mower.

You can tell if it is a 4 stroke, because the mower will have an oil filler cap on it somewhere. A 2 stroke engine will not, because you mix the oil with the gas.

My .02

edit:spelling

pseudobrit
Jun 11, 2003, 06:52 AM
Originally posted by Roger1
Sincr when? I've been mowing lawns for the past 25 years, and I've never seen a 2 stroke push mower.

You can tell if it is a 4 stroke, because the mower will have an oil filler cap on it somewhere. A 2 stroke engine will not, because you mix the oil with the gas.

My .02

Right-o.

Now the thing is, did he mix the 2 stroke oil with the gas, which wouldn't be such a bad thing, or did he dump it in the crankcase, which would present a bit of a problem?

Roger1
Jun 11, 2003, 06:57 AM
pseudobrit:
Right-o.

Now the thing is, did he mix the 2 stroke oil with the gas, which wouldn't be such a bad thing, or did he dump it in the crankcase, which would present a bit of a problem?

I wouldn't do anything until your dad got home to check things out. Let him worry about it.

G3-Pwnz-G4
Jun 11, 2003, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by Roger1
Since when? I've been mowing lawns for the past 25 years, and I've never seen a 2 stroke push mower.

My .02

edit:spelling

correction, the little POS pushmower that i had to use when i was 10 was a 2-stroke. like i said, it was a piece of ****.