PDA

View Full Version : Should I Upgrade to Elite?

xparaparafreakx
Mar 28, 2007, 11:20 AM
So I just bought my xbox for $450 and came with 4 games. I got it last week and want to know if I should get the elite one. The best I can get for my current system is $250, core + 20gb HD.

zero2dash
Mar 28, 2007, 11:24 AM
No.

Is your hard drive filled? Doubtful if you just got the system.

Do you plan on downloading large amounts of movies and shows? Probably not.

Do you store music on your system or stream it? If you store music, try streaming it which doesn't take up hard drive space.

Do you need HDMI? I doubt it. Most tvs come with component which outputs the same resolution signal as HDMI.

Would you like a black 360? You can always paint yours. :)

xparaparafreakx
Mar 28, 2007, 11:29 AM
No.

Is your hard drive filled? Doubtful if you just got the system.

Do you plan on downloading large amounts of movies and shows? Probably not.

Do you store music on your system or stream it? If you store music, try streaming it which doesn't take up hard drive space.

Do you need HDMI? I doubt it. Most tvs come with component which outputs the same resolution signal as HDMI.

Would you like a black 360? You can always paint yours. :)

No, but I like downloading the demos.

No, downloading movies or shows, thats for my MBP/Apple TV combo or PS3 XMB/Yellow Dog Linux/VLC combo.

Music is on iTunes and use web browser to access it via Wii or PS3.

HDMI? Maybe not since I the one HDMi port is used by the ps3 and im using the VGA cable for 360.

My concern is the cooling and I don't know where I read it from but the Elite is a cooler system.

zero2dash
Mar 28, 2007, 12:15 PM
No, but I like downloading the demos.

Last week I had (around) 10 game demos, 21 Live Arcade games (mostly demos), 3 UFC videos, the Modest Mouse video, the Halo 3 and Gears of War commercials, and I had 4 gigs free.

I deleted a few of the demos and now I've got 6-7 gigs free. You should be ok as long as you don't stockpile demos, I mean you'll delete them eventually...so you should be ok. :)

My concern is the cooling and I don't know where I read it from but the Elite is a cooler system.

Elite has the same 90nm chipset as the Core and Premium; the Elite isn't 65nm as originally thought (which would equal a cooler system). :(

Source (http://www.joystiq.com/2007/03/28/the-xbox-360-elite-is-official-hdmi-and-120gb-for-479/)
It will use the "same components" as the existing Xbox 360 consoles, no cooler running 65nm processors here.

GimmeSlack12
Mar 28, 2007, 12:20 PM
I'll offer $200 for your 360 right now.

jane doe
Mar 28, 2007, 12:36 PM
I'm not planning on changing my system. I'm going to add the bigger hard drive but thats it.

I'm happy with my 1080i thru component and don't see the need for HDMI, even for HD-DVD.

If your happy with your system then stay with it.

Jasonbot
Mar 28, 2007, 01:06 PM
I'm not planning on changing my system. I'm going to add the bigger hard drive but thats it.

I'm happy with my 1080i thru component and don't see the need for HDMI, even for HD-DVD.

If your happy with your system then stay with it.

Does HDMI actually have any improvement at all over componenet cables?

jane doe
Mar 28, 2007, 01:25 PM
Not much from what I can tell. One of the other posters said that his has jitters on component and not on HDMI but I haven't seen that. One looks just as good as the other from my sitting postition.

I have a 32" LCD HDTV (1080i) and HDMI.

I like HDMI better then component due to it being a single wire for both video and audio

MistaBungle
Mar 28, 2007, 01:31 PM
Return it to the store! If it was only last week that you bought it, return the system. I mean, depending on what store you got it from originally might dictate if you can return or not. But like a Best Buy or Wal-Mart should be no problem. Wait 30 days and then cash in on the elite.

ijimk
Mar 28, 2007, 01:43 PM
Well for me I dont think the elite is worth it. I have my 360 in through component on my 1080 i tv and it looks wonderful. I also love the white color of the original console.

I do however like the bigger HD but wont pay the price they are asking, what i would hope for is some sort of hack that allows an external usb 2.0 Hard drive hooked up that can be used to store you games and media content.

Is it just me or does the elite look ugly? I think it reminds me to much of the original 360 which i was not a fan of.

Suture
Mar 28, 2007, 02:00 PM
The only thing I'd want off an Elite is the HDMI cable, so I can utilize TrueHD audio. After hearing the difference I wanted to cry at how inferior my regular 5.1/DTS setup sounded.

However, I certainly wouldn't drop nearly $500 just for that. If they release a cable separately, I'll definitely pick one up.

ChrisBrightwell
Mar 28, 2007, 02:02 PM
Do you need HDMI? I doubt it. Most tvs come with component which outputs the same resolution signal as HDMI.If you have an HD set, the 360 should upscale SD DVDs over HDMI (it does over VGA, but not component).

Is that worth the hassle of an upgrade? I wouldn't say so, but that's just my opinion.

cycocelica
Mar 28, 2007, 02:06 PM
Sounds like you have absolutely no reason to switch. It won't be cooler and in all honestly you won't need the 120GB HD. Stick with what you got, and save your money.

xparaparafreakx
Mar 28, 2007, 02:07 PM
Well the big reasons were the HDMI and Hard Drive but I look at the situation wrong. HDMI pointless because I don't have a HD DVD player to get True HD and I like the PS3's uncompressed PCM 5.1. Hard Drive situation is different because all I do is download demos and don't have install data like my PS3.

Ill keep it for now, thanks everyone.

Now that the fun is not in the wii anymore, what to do now? (Thats for another Thread later, :D )

sb58
Mar 28, 2007, 03:26 PM
No. just, no.
The elite should only be bought by the rich and people who don't have the normal 360 yet.

Coded-Dude
Mar 28, 2007, 03:51 PM
stick with the "average" model......

giganten
Mar 28, 2007, 04:49 PM
You did buy the 360 because it was what you wanted and you can still play same games without the hdmi, so be happy. :D

zap2
Mar 28, 2007, 04:56 PM
No...I'd only buy the Elite if I wanted HDMI(if I lacked VGA i'd be even more likely to buy it) or I didn't own a Xbox 360 yet, its only 80 bucks more. Or if you plan to use you Xbox as a media center