PDA

View Full Version : i want a dualie powerbook

jefhatfield
Jun 10, 2003, 07:51 PM
no, this is not a rumor...it's too out there for that...it's just what i want

what do you think?

ibookin'
Jun 10, 2003, 07:53 PM
Unless I was going to have only one computer I wouldn't want this. Uses too much battery life, creates too much heat. Even then I would think twice.

springscansing
Jun 10, 2003, 08:04 PM
I want it. I'm getting a PB for musi work, and I need all the HP I can get.

MrMacMan
Jun 10, 2003, 08:24 PM
Only if apple devolps the worlds best battery.

I mean seriously unless the 970 uses 1w that is gonna suuuccckkk power soo fast...

It would be like the 3.0 P3 laptops, like 2 heavy @-- batteries.

wdlove
Jun 10, 2003, 08:25 PM
Well if it's true that the PPC 970 uses less power and produces less heat. Then I don't see why you couldn't have what you want Jef! ;)

Royal Pineapple
Jun 10, 2003, 08:27 PM
I aggree, this is my dreem macheine.
however, the 17" is the only one on the current line with enough surface aea to sufficentally fit/ cool a dual configuration.
i dont know about batery life. but arnt the 870s supposed to be low power?and perhaps you can turn off one processer when you arnt plugged in and when you are you can use both?

jefhatfield
Jun 10, 2003, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by wdlove
Well if it's true that the PPC 970 uses less power and produces less heat. Then I don't see why you couldn't have what you want Jef! ;)

mostly i would want to see apple beat the pc world to a dualie laptop

i can find enough horse power in an ibook with a burner

Stelliform
Jun 10, 2003, 08:53 PM
I would definitely want one for bragging rights. :) I am certain Apple has one in the works, I just bet it will be out next year or late this year. I know I will have to buy one. :)

Also, I hope you could turn off one processor for normal operation, otherwise it wouldn't be very useful as a laptop.

mactastic
Jun 10, 2003, 08:59 PM
If they do this, it will probably run in single processor mode when you are on the battery by default. You could tell it to run on two processors if you wanted to, but it would only default to that when it is plugged in. That fits the persona of a 17" PB anyway. Its a computer for people who occasionally need to take it with them, as opposed to daily laptop packing around. You will probably get your wish, although I don't think the PB will go dual till after the 970 is out in the towers for a while. Just a hunch thought.

mrjamin
Jun 11, 2003, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by jefhatfield
mostly i would want to see apple beat the pc world to a dualie laptop

...i'd like to see how apple would get out of the lawsuits from the people with 3rd degree burns to their thighs

funkywhat2
Jun 11, 2003, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by mrjamin
...i'd like to see how apple would get out of the lawsuits from the people with 3rd degree burns to their thighs

Dell didn't get sued. (I'm lazy to link, any help?)

I want one too, but it seems like total overkill for a notebook. Besides, when the 970 does come out, I doubt we will need to go to move to duals for a long time.

Or I at least hope.

jelloshotsrule
Jun 11, 2003, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by funkywhat2
Besides, when the 970 does come out, I doubt we will need to go to move to duals for a long time.

need? what's that mean? ;)

Sun Baked
Jun 11, 2003, 09:35 PM
PowerBook 15AF

http://www001.upp.so-net.ne.jp/medicalmac/im2/april4.gif
http://www001.upp.so-net.ne.jp/medicalmac/im2/april8.gif
http://www001.upp.so-net.ne.jp/medicalmac/im2/april9.gif