PDA

View Full Version : Intel Details Chip Roadmap 2007-2008: Penryn and Nehalem

MacRumors
Mar 28, 2007, 06:09 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Intel today released some details (http://www.intel.com/pressroom/archive/releases/20070328fact.htm) on its next-generation 45 nanometer chips (code-named Penryn) due later this year.

Penryn, the next chip family to be based on the Core micro-architecture, will include the following enhancements (among others):

- Speeds in excess of 3 GHz
- Dual-core L2 cache of 6 MB, Quad-core L2 cache of 12 MB
- Intel Virtualization Technology speed enhancements
- SSE4
- Enhanced Intel Dynamic Acceleration Technology: when one core sleeps, a still-active core will get a performance boost (single-threaded applications will see a boost).
- Deep Power Down Technology: "significantly reduces the power of the processor during idle periods such that internal transistor power leakage is no longer a factor. This helps extend battery life in laptops."

Intel currently has 15 Penryn-based chips lined up. The upcoming Penryn chips will be marketed under both the "Core" and "Xeon" brand names with dual core mobile processors, dual and quad-core desktop processors, and dual and quad-core server processors.

Apple will likely only select a few models to include in its lineup. Apple currently uses the Core Duo "Yonah" in the Mac Mini, Core 2 Duo "Merom" in the iMac, MacBook and MacBook Pro, and the Xeon 51xx "Woodcrest" in its Mac Pro and Xserve. Recurring rumors (1 (http://www.macrumors.com/2006/10/25/8-core-mac-pro-with-clovertown-in-november/), 2 (http://www.macrumors.com/2006/12/29/8-core-mac-pro-in-january-displays-too/), 3 (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/03/12/8-core-mac-pro-hints-at-apple-uk/)) of an upgraded Mac Pro utilizing Xeon 53xx "Clovertown" 4-core chips have yet to come to fruition.

In addition, Intel gives a glimpse towards its future next-generation Nehalem architecture. While Nehalem is still a ways off with initial production set for early 2008, Intel says that the architecture will see a rebirth of Hyperthreading, incorporate caching advances, and will scale to 8 cores and beyond.

[ Digg This (http://digg.com/apple/Intel_Details_Chip_Roadmap_2007_2008_Penryn_and_Nehalem) ]

spicyapple
Mar 28, 2007, 06:10 PM
"Quad-core L2 cache of 12 MB"

Schweet! This is for Penryn notebooks, right?

mainstreetmark
Mar 28, 2007, 06:12 PM
Speed in Excess of 3 Gigahertz!! That's unpossible.

Zwhaler
Mar 28, 2007, 06:14 PM
I will be happy with the 2nd generation Meroms if Penryn won't have quad core notebooks. Now people will be asking weather or not to wait for Penryn, before Santa Rosa is even out!

dante@sisna.com
Mar 28, 2007, 06:15 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Intel today released some details (http://www.intel.com/pressroom/archive/releases/20070328fact.htm) on its next-generation 45 nanometer chips (code-named Penryn) due later this year.

Penryn, the next chip family to be based on the Core micro-architecture, will include the following enhancements (among others):

- Speeds in excess of 3 GHz
- Dual-core L2 cache of 6 MB, Quad-core L2 cache of 12 MB
- Intel Virtualization Technology speed enhancements
- SSE4
- Enhanced Intel Dynamic Acceleration Technology: when one core sleeps, a still-active core will get a performance boost (single-threaded applications will see a boost).
- Deep Power Down Technology: "significantly reduces the power of the processor during idle periods such that internal transistor power leakage is no longer a factor. This helps extend battery life in laptops."

Intel currently has 15 Penryn-based chips lined up. The upcoming Penryn chips will be marketed under both the "Core" and "Xeon" brand names with dual core mobile processors, dual and quad-core desktop processors, and dual and quad-core server processors.

Apple will likely only select a few models to include in its lineup. Apple currently uses the Core Duo "Yonah" in the Mac Mini, Core 2 Duo "Merom" in the iMac, MacBook and MacBook Pro, and the Xeon 51xx "Woodcrest" in its Mac Pro and Xserve. Recurring rumors (1 (http://www.macrumors.com/2006/10/25/8-core-mac-pro-with-clovertown-in-november/), 2 (http://www.macrumors.com/2006/12/29/8-core-mac-pro-in-january-displays-too/), 3 (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/03/12/8-core-mac-pro-hints-at-apple-uk/)) of an upgraded Mac Pro utilizing Xeon 53xx "Clovertown" 4-core chips have yet to come to fruition.

In addition, Intel gives a glimpse towards its future next-generation Nehalem architecture. While Nehalem is still a ways off with initial production set for early 2008, Intel says that the architecture will see a rebirth of Hyperthreading, incorporate caching advances, and will scale to 8 cores and beyond.

Nice so after the Stoakley Octo I guess we get the --- what --- The Hexadecagon (16) Core Mac Pro? Now that should really be the box for Final Cut Studio late 2008.

LostPacket
Mar 28, 2007, 06:16 PM
Bah. Just give us Clovertown already. At this rate, Apple won't include Penryn until Nehalem is out.

Eidorian
Mar 28, 2007, 06:16 PM

Schweet! This is for Penryn notebooks, right?Hahah, no.

I will be happy with the 2nd generation Meroms if Penryn won't have quad core notebooks. Now people will be asking weather or not to wait for Penryn, before Santa Rosa is even out!Intel's "Gilo" should be out by now. Rumor is that it's a quad core Merom. We also have LV Xeon processors with a TDP of 50W. It shouldn't be that much harder to make a mobile quad core even using the 65 nm process.

I do like the single threaded Dynamic boost feature.

spicyapple
Mar 28, 2007, 06:17 PM
Now people will be asking weather[sic] or not to wait for Penryn, before Santa Rosa is even out!
Some schmuck already asked the question.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=274569 :)

05elstonc
Mar 28, 2007, 06:18 PM
It is amazing how far Intel has come in 2 years. I bet Steve and Co are quite happy with their decision to move to Intel. My 1.33 G4 12" Powerbook seems anemic now.

kroko
Mar 28, 2007, 06:18 PM
my macpro buying plan seems to be postphoned again... when will i see a penryn desktop model for macUUBERPRO?!

FF_productions
Mar 28, 2007, 06:22 PM
It is amazing how far Intel has come in 2 years. I bet Steve and Co are quite happy with their decision to move to Intel. My 1.33 G4 12" Powerbook seems anemic now.

Yeah I'm glad I switched to Intel.

We all miss PPC and its dominance towards the Pentium chips, now things have changed.

slffl
Mar 28, 2007, 06:29 PM
Just when I'm ready to get the next Macbook Pro that comes out, they do this.

kinless
Mar 28, 2007, 06:30 PM
Always waiting for the next machine is the reason I've used a Beige G3 since 2001.

And I really wish I was kidding about that.

wildmac
Mar 28, 2007, 06:31 PM
so, Apple will wait until these chips are in production, and then ship an updated MacPro with the older chips at WWDC. sigh...

I don't think we'll see anything announced at NAAB besides software... The new MacPros will probably require Leopard, and that's why they are being delayed.

Mac Fly (film)
Mar 28, 2007, 06:36 PM
my macpro buying plan seems to be postphoned again... when will i see a penryn desktop model for macUUBERPRO?!
Quick guess; October.

TheManOfSilver
Mar 28, 2007, 06:41 PM
OK OK ... I get it ... no quad core in a laptop just yet ...

... but how about in an iMac ... oh man I'd like that!

Eidorian
Mar 28, 2007, 06:43 PM
OK OK ... I get it ... no quad core in a laptop just yet ...

... but how about in an iMac ... oh man I'd like that!I can see the 17" MacBook Pro being able to support a 50W TDP mobile quad core. The iMac (35-50W TDP w/PowerPC 970FX) should be able to as well. We just need the chips to be out first. :rolleyes:

Sopranino
Mar 28, 2007, 06:51 PM

1.33 is anemic??, my poor paltry 1 Ghz must really be outdated now......

Seriously though, it is amazing how fast Intel has ramped up the overall processing power (speed and multi core).

I have to wonder if Apple will be able to actually produce new versions of its computer lines whenever Intel releases a new chip. Consider that there are already new platforms and chips coming (Santa Rosa, Robson Caching, etc) and now Intel is announcing even newer technologies that will be available within a relatively short period of time. Apple has not released any information on any next (gen) versions of their computer lines including systems that may employ Santa Rosa, 65 Nanometer CPUs.

Any thoughts.....

Sopranino

Multimedia
Mar 28, 2007, 06:53 PM

Schweet! This is for Penryn notebooks, right?No.

Just give us our Dual Clovertown Mac Pro already. Please? :eek: :)

Rocketman
Mar 28, 2007, 06:55 PM
The 2H 2007 timing bodes well for WWDC announce and tiered delivery schedule for Macs accross the line.

Yes Penryn is suitable for mobile Macs like MacBookPro.

Rocketman

Peace
Mar 28, 2007, 06:55 PM
No.

I can't say it enough..

NAB
NAB
NAB

All our wishes and desires..

We will see at NAB.

sososowhat
Mar 28, 2007, 07:05 PM
You know, my 1.5 G4 12" is still a wonderful machine. I recently upped the RAM to 1.25G & it rocks. Sure, octo-core 6Ghz performance would be fun, but for everyday stuff on a laptop I care about form factor and battery life more than anything else. I'll buy when the 12" MBP is out, but even then probably mostly for the 802.11n, WiMax & built-in iSight more than for raw "power".

shawnce
Mar 28, 2007, 07:31 PM
No.

I think Apple may wait until Penryn is available before shipping 8 core Mac Pro systems ... personally I don't believe Clovertown makes a compelling upgrade to the Mac Pro (using the existing chipset) ...with that said Leopard may make Clovertown based Mac Pro a little more compelling... and hence likely.

Clive At Five
Mar 28, 2007, 07:42 PM

Woah woah woah, wait.

Does this mean the "Core" chips will be pin-to-pin compatible with "Xeon" chips?

If yes, I can't wait to see the hardmac.com article about the fool who popped one into a MacMini and melted the thing down into the Earth's crust.

Excellent.

-Clive

pgwalsh
Mar 28, 2007, 07:43 PM

I was screaming for them to switch for years and they finally did. I got blasted in a lot of threads as well. They did and I'm happy. I was also screaming for them to allow OS X to run on non-Apple branded computers, which they haven't and in hindsight, I'm glad they didn't.

surferfromuk
Mar 28, 2007, 07:48 PM
Is is me or is there something absurdly ironic about 'sitting it out for another year' on an old 1.x Ghz Mac because your waiting for the 3.3 ghz variant as today's 2.3 ghz variant isn't powerful enough'??

:confused:

yzp
Mar 28, 2007, 07:49 PM
My 1.33 G4 12" Powerbook seems anemic now.

My :apple: iBook 14" 1.2ghz 768mb ram too......

Darkroom
Mar 28, 2007, 07:59 PM
... an upgraded Mac Pro utilizing Xeon 53xx "Clovertown" 4-core chips have yet to come to fruition.

a lovely use of the word "fruition" i must admit :p

BornAgainMac
Mar 28, 2007, 07:59 PM
I get it. Buy a new Mac every year. Thanks.

shelterpaw
Mar 28, 2007, 08:06 PM
Is is me or is there something absurdly ironic about 'sitting it out for another year' on an old 1.x Ghz Mac because your waiting for the 3.3 ghz variant as today's 2.3 ghz variant isn't powerful enough'??

:confused:Sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and get whatever is available. They'll make more later. :D

RichP
Mar 28, 2007, 08:11 PM
No.

I have one for sale right now.

Send me $5K, and Ill order a new 2.0 quad from apple, rip out the chips, install 2 quad-cores in there, and send it out to you ;-)

we will see something soon perhaps, just wait till april when adobe is shipping CS3. Lets face it, CS2 on intel architecture is useable, but not fast, and not entirely stable.

iBunny
Mar 28, 2007, 08:20 PM

I usualy do this with PCs. I build about every year. Technology is just comming out too fast to keep a computer around for more than 1 or 1.5 years. Ick, I can only remember back to this time 2005... Ancient

Its just better to buy a Mid Range Computer say - 20 inch iMac Decked out every year.... That way you are always current, more or less.

wildmac
Mar 28, 2007, 08:22 PM

No, just buy something new when it makes sense to.

For the constant waiters, it's one of three things:

1) You really need a new system, but can't afford it.

2) You don't need a new system, but enjoy dreaming about a new one.

3) You've bought into the hype, and are hindering your present work by not getting a system now. (The guy on the beige G3 better be working in Word most of the time...)

If you need a new system for your present work, then buy one when the next update is released. But to make buying decisions based on this new Intel intel is just silly.

inkswamp
Mar 28, 2007, 08:30 PM
this new Intel intel

:D Very clever.

roland.g
Mar 28, 2007, 08:41 PM
Don't expect to see a Penryn before MWSF 2008. It is doubtful that they will be readily available too much before the end of the year and Apple will not make any lineup changes past early November in preparation for the holiday season.

Seeing as Penryn is also slated for the Santa Rosa chipset, I would expect to see Santa Rosa iMacs and notebooks this May - July and obviously 8-Core Mac Pros anywhere between NAB and mid-May.

Then that would allow for the next round of iMac, notebook, and Mac Pro updates to begin next Jan and go through March or April of 2008.

Personally I plan on getting a Leopard Mac as soon as available, and potentially upgrading to Penryn 9-12 months later. The real question is will we see any touch-screen technology this year, most likely not, Penryn's 45nm chips, speeds and power are a more likely candidate, if that soon. We may only see an iMac color option this year with any more substantial redesign coming with the next generation CPU. And even then it is unlikely to be as dramatic as the lampshade to chin progression.

davester
Mar 28, 2007, 08:42 PM
Can't they pick processor names that are abit more, how you say... normal?

roland.g
Mar 28, 2007, 08:45 PM
Can't they pick processor names that are abit more... normal?

Would you prefer they named them like hurricanes?

Andrew,
Floyd,
Katrina...

dartzorichalcos
Mar 28, 2007, 08:49 PM
I'll get a Gesher (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gesher_%28CPU_architecture%29) Mac Pro when the time comes to upgrade from my PowerMac G5.

Rocksaurus
Mar 28, 2007, 08:50 PM

Any word on how they do this? Is there something they are doing right now that slows down single-threaded apps when one core sleeps? Or is it something they aren't doing, and single-threaded apps run just like they would on a single core processor when one core sleeps, and with this technology single-threaded apps will see improved performance? :confused:

Rocketman
Mar 28, 2007, 09:00 PM

If nothing else it is an old (traditional) story.

The good news is now that 3ghz might arrive, it has features 3x as good as the "old promise."

How ironic is it that IBM would OPUD?

Rocketman

davester
Mar 28, 2007, 09:12 PM
Would you prefer they named them like hurricanes?

Would be a start...

Multimedia
Mar 28, 2007, 09:14 PM
I'll get a Gesher (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gesher_%28CPU_architecture%29) Mac Pro when the time comes to upgrade from my PowerMac G5.You gonna hang onto Quad G5 as primary for 3 more years? Man you must have nothin' to do. I'm buying Dual Clovertown ASAP and I can't understand how you think 4 G5 cores is enough. :confused: :eek:

AidenShaw
Mar 28, 2007, 09:17 PM
Any word on how they do this?

http://www.hkepc.com/bbs/itnews.php?tid=698577&starttime=0&endtime=0

dartzorichalcos
Mar 28, 2007, 09:19 PM
You gonna hang onto Quad G5 as primary for 3 more years? Man you must have nothin' to do. I'm buying Dual Clovertown ASAP and I can't understand how you think 4 G5 cores is enough. :confused: :eek:

The PowerMac G5 will last that long as long as I do upgrades on it like harddrive, ram, do software updates/upgrades, etc.

Multimedia
Mar 28, 2007, 09:22 PM
I have one for sale right now. Send me $5K, and Ill order a new 2.0 quad from apple, rip out the chips, install 2 quad-cores in there, and send it out to you ;-)Brilliant. :rolleyes:

1. Void Warranty
2. No Stoakley-Seaburg Support chipset
3. No revised cooling system according to Clovertown heat profile
4. No Leopard multi threaded support
5. They'll cost way less from Apple when they ship

No thanks. :rolleyes:

Multimedia
Mar 28, 2007, 09:26 PM
The PowerMac G5 will last that long as long as I do upgrades on it like harddrive, ram, do software updates/upgrades, etc.I'm running the Quad G5 and it's DOG SLOW. How can you think it's gonna last for heavy lifting? I'm keeping my Quad G5 for lite work. But the idea it will last 3 more years must mean you're doing very little if any hard video crushing and other processor intensive tasks.

Hell I can hose a Dual Clovertown in about 15 minutes. I dont get it. :confused: :eek:

iris_failsafe
Mar 28, 2007, 09:26 PM
a month ago i bought a macbook pro i don't regret it you always know that something better is coming and you just have to take the plunge

dartzorichalcos
Mar 28, 2007, 09:29 PM
I'm running the Quad G5 and it's DOG SLOW. How can you think it's gonna last for heavy lifting? I'm keeping my Quad G5 for lite work. But the idea it will last 3 more years must mean you're doing very little if any hard video crushing and other processor intensive tasks.

Hell I can hose a Dual Clovertown in about 15 minutes. I dont get it. :confused: :eek:

Maybe you are right, maybe I should sell my PowerMac G5 soon and get a Clovertown Mac Pro at least.

iPhil
Mar 28, 2007, 09:30 PM
You gonna hang onto Quad G5 as primary for 3 more years? Man you must have nothin' to do. I'm buying Dual Clovertown ASAP and I can't understand how you think 4 G5 cores is enough. :confused: :eek:

Your just a Power-Hungry Video Editing Dude aka PHVED™ ..

Yeah I stero-typed you .. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

SPUY767
Mar 28, 2007, 09:41 PM
Intel was embarassed by its much smaller competitor because it had rested on its laurels for one season too long. I can assure that they will not allow that to happen again, and they have the strongest, achievable this time, roadmap in the industry.

AidenShaw
Mar 28, 2007, 09:54 PM
a month ago i bought a macbook pro i don't regret it you always know that something better is coming and you just have to take the plunge

Next time, splurge for the keyboard that has the shift key and the period key.

zebra451
Mar 28, 2007, 10:11 PM
Come on Apple, you're getting as bad as Adobe! I don't care about the roadmap, what can you do for me now? I'm ready to order a Mini NOW.
It's just like Adobe announcing Photoshop CS3 then telling us it'll ship in the Spring. THE SPRING?!!!??? I was expecting it to ship immediately. UGH!

SPUY767
Mar 28, 2007, 10:13 PM
Next time, splurge for the keyboard that has the shift key and the period key.

LOLZGRAMMARNAZI.....

I have both.

Nice cat BTW.

OS 10.6 Maine Coon -or- OS 10.6 Domestic Shorthair

SiliconAddict
Mar 28, 2007, 10:18 PM
And thus we now know why Apple went Intel. IMHO one of the boldest and smartest moves Jobs has ever made. I really really doubt the PPC would be anywhere near where AMD and more importantly Intel is right now. One thing that wasn't mentioned in the front article is that Intel is FINALLY throwing the memory controller onboard the die. OMG. This is my next MBP. *Wets himself in anticipation*

LS1
Mar 28, 2007, 10:23 PM
OS 10.6 Maine Coon -or- OS 10.6 Domestic Shorthair

I am so getting OSX Maine Coon. It's going to be the *****.

jesteraver
Mar 28, 2007, 10:27 PM
I was going to get a new iMac in April/May. Guess I can wait a little bit longer with my PPC G5 iMac lol I'll wait till September.

AlBDamned
Mar 28, 2007, 10:28 PM
I have to wonder if Apple will be able to actually produce new versions of its computer lines whenever Intel releases a new chip. Any thoughts.....

Sopranino

When the Intel switch was announced, the majority of people (me included) got the wrong idea that because there were new, more powerful chips coming out regularly, there'd be new Macs coming out in line with them. Hell, the whole thing about Intel having a clear roadmap was one of The Steve's big points in his keynote.

But, Apple has already clearly shown that regular updates are not part of its strategy. See the fact that the minis are still Core Duo, that the notebooks took about two months longer to appear with C2D than it took Dell and co to launch their C2D models and, of course, the fact that the 4-core Xeon chips have been out for months and Apple hasn't slotted them in the Mac Pros.

New Macs come out when Apple wants them to come out, not when there are new chips are out. It's highly selective strategy and in my opinion it's wrong and outdated, because they can no longer hide behind the fact that they have different chips to their competitors as they could do with the PPC chips.

AlBDamned
Mar 28, 2007, 10:30 PM
I am so getting OSX Maine Coon. It's going to be the *****.

It's going to be a big ***** too. Have you seen the size of Maine Coons?!! :eek:

LS1
Mar 28, 2007, 10:31 PM
I was going to get a new iMac in April/May. Guess I can wait a little bit longer with my PPC G5 iMac lol

Dude I would wait til OSX Maine Coon comes out. Its going to make Leopard look like Windows 95.

SPUY767
Mar 28, 2007, 10:33 PM
It's going to be a big ***** too. Have you seen the size of Maine Coons?!! :eek:

One time we measured Mena from tail to front paws when stretched, I thin it was 57 inches, nearly 5 feet.

AidenShaw
Mar 28, 2007, 11:01 PM
One time we measured Mena from tail to front paws when stretched, I thin it was 57 inches, nearly 5 feet.

My bigger Coon is 19.3 pounds, but only 52 inches unless I really pull ;)

AlBDamned
Mar 28, 2007, 11:02 PM
One time we measured Mena from tail to front paws when stretched, I think it was 57 inches, nearly 5 feet.

LOL that is one big cat!

FF_productions
Mar 28, 2007, 11:05 PM
New Macs come out when Apple wants them to come out, not when there are new chips are out. It's highly selective strategy and in my opinion it's wrong and outdated, because they can no longer hide behind the fact that they have different chips to their competitors as they could do with the PPC chips.

Yep. After a while those
http://images.apple.com/macbookpro/images/intel_7xbadge20061024.png things will start to disappear because it's ridiculous to compare a new intel chip to a chip that is so Old.

So basically, they are only competing against themselves when you think about it. Rather then saying "We have the fastest machine on the planet, we can beat Intel and Amd", we say "This Core 2 Duo chip is faster than the Core Duo by 50 percent!"

Will they ever have benchmarks against AMD?

SPUY767
Mar 28, 2007, 11:17 PM
Mena is a quite sturdy 22 lbs. She also has a propensity to sleep on my neck at night, I'm lucky to be alive.

sartinsauce
Mar 28, 2007, 11:57 PM
A Page 1 MR article really has digressed to the discussion of Maine Coon Cats.

OSX Maine Coon - The quicker picker upper.

skone
Mar 29, 2007, 12:07 AM
who the hell comes up with these names? guy must have been on crack...

Eidorian
Mar 29, 2007, 12:10 AM
- Yonah is a variant transliteration for Jonah (יונה) in Hebrew and means dove.

- Merom Lacus, lake in the Hulah Valley of Israel

- Penryn, California, in the United States, a town of about 2,000 and home to a granite quarry

- Nehalem River

skone
Mar 29, 2007, 12:19 AM
right.................. it's still Penryn and Nehalem and you gotta pronounce it, let alone type it... geez, but at least it's "original"

Eidorian
Mar 29, 2007, 12:23 AM
right.................. it's still Penryn and Nehalem and you gotta pronounce it.Intel usually uses rivers or west coast locations to name their processors and chipsets.

- Napa, California

- Santa Rosa, California

- Klamath

- Deschutes River

- Coppermine River

- Willamette River

iMikeT
Mar 29, 2007, 12:34 AM
Not another delay to my next computer...:(

dante@sisna.com
Mar 29, 2007, 12:56 AM
I'm running the Quad G5 and it's DOG SLOW. How can you think it's gonna last for heavy lifting? I'm keeping my Quad G5 for lite work. But the idea it will last 3 more years must mean you're doing very little if any hard video crushing and other processor intensive tasks.

Yes, My Quad G5 now feels very slow as well -- not only for Video, which I would expect, but also now for Print and Flash production -- Amazing how slow it feels exporting a 64 Page children's Picture Book (full of very high res Full-Page, Raster Graphics) to High Res Press Ready PDF. I do this many times per day and dozen's of times per week.

Ready for OCTO. Please.

kirkbross
Mar 29, 2007, 01:10 AM
My prediction: No new Mac Pro or Leopard until September or later... I dunno, I just get the vibe there's an unspoken problem brewing...

giganten
Mar 29, 2007, 01:36 AM
I did post a thread (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=291697) before this started yesterday maybe can delete it.
http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/intel_penryn_sneak_peek/

The new cpu are looking nice. I want a penryn now :D .

RichP
Mar 29, 2007, 01:37 AM
Brilliant. :rolleyes:

1. Void Warranty
2. No Stoakley-Seaburg Support chipset
3. No revised cooling system according to Clovertown heat profile
4. No Leopard multi threaded support
5. They'll cost way less from Apple when they ship

No thanks. :rolleyes:

it was a joke Multimedia..a joke :D

matticus008
Mar 29, 2007, 01:37 AM
I will be happy with the 2nd generation Meroms if Penryn won't have quad core notebooks. Now people will be asking weather or not to wait for Penryn, before Santa Rosa is even out!
Santa Rosa's not a CPU, but regardless, people always ask the question when they catch wind of an upcoming technology. But here's the kicker: there's always going to be something new coming along and there will always be people trying to decide whether to wait. Heaven forbid they should miss out on needless (and ultimately fruitless) stress over products 6+ months from shipping.
Woah woah woah, wait.

Does this mean the "Core" chips will be pin-to-pin compatible with "Xeon" chips?
Not any more or less than they currently are. Packaging is a totally separate process from core architecture. Individual products in a family don't usually get their own code names, whether released for LGA775 or 771 or 479. Woodcrest Xeons are LGA771.

From Win to Mac
Mar 29, 2007, 01:40 AM
Does anyone still miss the PowerPC ? :p

AlBDamned
Mar 29, 2007, 01:57 AM
right.................. it's still Penryn and Nehalem and you gotta pronounce it, let alone type it... geez, but at least it's "original"

Unfortunately all these great names go to waste once Intel publicly butchers them with commercial tags such as "Core 2 Duo". Yak. Why can't they have something else as zippy as "Pentium".

At least with Power PC we had the G series.

I know this is the smallest of small quibbles but the commercial names intel hands out these days really do blow goats.

MattInOz
Mar 29, 2007, 01:59 AM

Just start a small business or a family.
Then hand them down each year.

Jarcrew
Mar 29, 2007, 02:04 AM
Ha, I thought that, but to quote Andy Ihnatko:

"If you follow this algorithm religiously you'll still be on a Mac Plus, swapping your floppy drive every eight seconds - and that, my friends, is no way to live."

Besides, no matter what you buy, there'll always be something around the corner that you'll want more.

Pigumon
Mar 29, 2007, 02:16 AM
I can't say it enough..

NAB
NAB
NAB

All our wishes and desires..

We will see at NAB.

I completely agree (i need a dual clovertown injection soon or i will die)

Steve.. do you want my death on your hands?

Evangelion
Mar 29, 2007, 02:24 AM
Can't they pick processor names that are abit more, how you say... normal?

What's wrong with Core 2 Duo? if you are referring to "Penryn", then you need not to worry, it's just a codename. The codename for PPC970 (AKA G5) was GP-UL.

AlBDamned
Mar 29, 2007, 02:35 AM
What's wrong with Core 2 Duo?

The name "Core 2 Duo" is so stultifyingly dull and awkward that it makes me feel ill. I appreciate they can't call them "Merom" or "Penryn" in real life, because regular (non-geeky) Joes wouldn't have a fecking clue what it meant, but why can't they come up with more stuff like Itanium or Xeon.

sweet160
Mar 29, 2007, 02:41 AM

Thats what I will be doing, from now of on with my 24" iMac...

The value of my mac will drop (year after year) anyway,
might as well ebay it after a year and buy a new one,

the cost is almost the same but you have the newest gear...
almost all the time woohoo :D

daneoni
Mar 29, 2007, 02:45 AM

I do....

netdog
Mar 29, 2007, 02:56 AM
I am glad I didn't wait for Santa Rosa now, but bought C2D when it was released. While there is no question that Santa Rosa will bring a lot of perks, including a significantly faster FSB, access to more RAM, much better integrated graphics, etc., my C2Ds with graphics cards (iMac and MBP) will serve me very well and when I do upgrade, the difference will be radical.

In the words of Intel's manager of the digital enterprise group, these new 45nm chips will "unlock the full capability of that generation" of chips. No doubt, Santa Rosa buyers will get rocking machines, even more so than those of us with the current mighty C2D systems, and further there will be great chips just in the offing when Penryn and Nehalam hit the streets, but I do think this particular leap up to these two 45nm chips and their related chipsets is going to be one of the larger leaps in development, and perhaps a good time to upgrade. We'll see when we get there.

daneoni
Mar 29, 2007, 02:59 AM
Looks promising, i hope the iMacs get Quad-Core love. If they do, i'll get one next year and move away from the notebook market. Hopefully 10.5.3 would be out or something, as well as iLife 08.

Until then its just me and my MBP, especially now that i've just confirmed my HE 3yr extended warranty.

Evangelion
Mar 29, 2007, 03:06 AM
The name "Core 2 Duo" is so stultifyingly dull and awkward that it makes me feel ill. I appreciate they can't call them "Merom" or "Penryn" in real life, because regular (non-geeky) Joes wouldn't have a fecking clue what it meant, but why can't they come up with more stuff like Itanium or Xeon.

Well, only thing in "Core 2 Duo" that I find lacking is the "Duo" (and "Solo"). They could use something else instead. But other than that, it's OK.

I remember when AMD released original Athlons. People thought the name was stupid. Not so anymore. When they released the Opteron? Same thing. But people got used to it, and it doesn't sound stupid anymore.

And, when you really think about it, name is next to meaningless. "Itanium" might sound cool, but it didn't save the processor from flopping hard.

Jarcrew
Mar 29, 2007, 03:28 AM
You know what else sounded stupid at first?

Macintosh.

daneoni
Mar 29, 2007, 03:32 AM
You know what else sounded stupid at first?

Macintosh.

As well as the Mac Pro, MacBook Pro and MacBook.

AlBDamned
Mar 29, 2007, 03:37 AM
Well, only thing in "Core 2 Duo" that I find lacking is the "Duo" (and "Solo"). They could use something else instead.

Agreed there, Core Duo was bad, but less awkward than Core 2 Duo.

I remember when AMD released original Athlons. People thought the name was stupid. Not so anymore. When they released the Opteron? Same thing. But people got used to it, and it doesn't sound stupid anymore.

I dislike AMD's names too, I think they sound too star trek and bad science-fiction-esque.

And, when you really think about it, name is next to meaningless. "Itanium" might sound cool, but it didn't save the processor from flopping hard.

A name is never going to make or break the success of the processor, but Itanium does sound very smart. It's clean, electric, futuristic, relates to Titanium of course, which always seems to carry kudos in the tech world. IMO Itanium is exactly the sort of name a processor should have. Again, The name "Xeon" is from the same stable.

In comparison, "Core 2 Duo" does blow goats! :D

Also, the Itanium range is back in business (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=215624&highlight=itanium).

belovedmonster
Mar 29, 2007, 03:40 AM
My prediction: No new Mac Pro until September or later... I dunno, I just get the vibe there's an unspoken problem brewing...

N
A
B

N.A.B

NAB

NAB is the place you would most like to introduce a pro end computer during the year, and its coming up right as the current Mac Pros are looking a bit dated. Do the math!

AlBDamned
Mar 29, 2007, 03:43 AM
As well as the Mac Pro, MacBook Pro and MacBook.

Mac Pro sounds about right. Back before they were launched someone on here suggested they officially call it the Macintosh Pro, which has a nice ring to it as well.

In contrast, the names MacBook and Macbook Pro are hideous. Everyone is used to them now, but there's no doubting they're bad names.

All the money, innovation and intelligence at Apple (and Intel for that matter with Core Duo) and they come up with those names. Scarcely believable really.

I guess we should be glad they didn't try to mash MacBook and Core Duo together (a la PowerBook and PowerMac). I dread to think what we would have then!

Jarcrew
Mar 29, 2007, 03:45 AM
Coulda been the iiBook. "Yeah dude, I'm waiting for Penryn TwoBooks."

MacBook's not that bad a name, I think.

Multimedia
Mar 29, 2007, 03:47 AM
N
A
B

N.A.B

NAB

NAB is the place you would most like to introduce a pro end computer during the year, and its coming up right as the current Mac Pros are looking a bit dated. Do the math!I have a ticket to the Apple Event. But I'm still looking for a buddy to let me sleep on their floor in Las Vegas. Anyone here that's going have room for me?

netdog
Mar 29, 2007, 03:58 AM
I have a ticket to the Apple Event. But I'm still looking for a buddy to let me sleep on their floor in Las Vegas. Anyone here that's going have room for me?

Surely Sony can find some room for you. You must be responsible for at least 10% of their sales on the HC7, a fantastic camera for the money by the way.

Evangelion
Mar 29, 2007, 05:55 AM
Also, the Itanium range is back in business (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=215624&highlight=itanium).

Itanium is doomed. Yes, new Itanium is better than the old one, but it's still doomed. It was at least marginally relevant back when x86 was still 32bit. But even then it was far from success. When AMD released Opteron, Itaniums fate was sealed. And IBM is about to release POWER6, which seems like it will totally mop the floor with Itanium...

AlBDamned
Mar 29, 2007, 06:24 AM
Itanium is doomed. Yes, new Itanium is better than the old one, but it's still doomed. It was at least marginally relevant back when x86 was still 32bit. But even then it was far from success. When AMD released Opteron, Itaniums fate was sealed. And IBM is about to release POWER6, which seems like it will totally mop the floor with Itanium...

Fair enough. I have very little knowledge on those chips so will take your word for it.

No doubting Itanium is a cool name though. Power 6 is pretty smart too, although lacking in the originality stakes. ;)

Flynnstone
Mar 29, 2007, 09:26 AM
If you want quad cores now , you can do it. Not from Apple.
If you can justify the price, swap out the duals for the quads.

a456
Mar 29, 2007, 09:32 AM

If the people writing here actually needed a new mac they would go out and buy one, but this is the very paradox of owning a mac. They last a long time and so while we drool over the extra whistles and bells, few of us actually need to upgrade. Start up might be slightly quicker, we will get a slightly larger hard drive, and a built-in iSight, but how do we sell this to 'er indoors to let us part with £1500 or so? We don't, so we keep dreaming and half wanting our current mac that we love so dearly to just not be able to boot one day like a cheap PC or for it to get stolen or fall off a desk and die, but this just doesn't happen.

a456
Mar 29, 2007, 09:34 AM

No, I'm typing on a 12" PowerBook right now.:cool:

viperguy
Mar 29, 2007, 12:15 PM
Bring on Nehalem please :D :apple:

Freebart
Mar 29, 2007, 12:43 PM
Adding to the details published on the front page, according to PC Perspective (http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=382&type=expert), Nahalem will have an on-die memory controller and optional high-performance integrated graphics. The Xeon versions of Intel's new processors will have a Front Side Bus speed of up to 1600Mhz.

At Intel's Developer Forum, Intel's Pat Gelsinger dubbed Nehalem as the most dramatic architecture shift since the introduction of the front-side bus in the Pentium Pro in 1996.

Penryn should be available in 2007, while Nahalem would be available in late 2008 or 2009.

Diode
Mar 29, 2007, 12:45 PM
*hopefully* the next imacs will be quad-core capable.

That would be my next upgrade as dvd->h264 encoding on my current dual core is becoming a pain :p

koobcamuk
Mar 29, 2007, 12:53 PM
If the people writing here actually needed a new mac they would go out and buy one, but this is the very paradox of owning a mac. They last a long time and so while we drool over the extra whistles and bells, few of us actually need to upgrade. Start up might be slightly quicker, we will get a slightly larger hard drive, and a built-in iSight, but how do we sell this to 'er indoors to let us part with £1500 or so? We don't, so we keep dreaming and half wanting our current mac that we love so dearly to just not be able to boot one day like a cheap PC or for it to get stolen or fall off a desk and die, but this just doesn't happen.

Nicely said. I have self diagnosed MBP complex from owning a MacBook. However, I could sell my G5 iMac and MB and then try to get a MBP but I doubt I would be happy.

I was going to upgrade the MB but I really don't think I will bother. Doing my Ph.D I will be doing the same thing now that I am in 2 years time - data analysis doesn't change much. My Macs beat most PC boxes here anyway.

It's just lust. Not love. Love what you have and be faithful. :rolleyes:

GanleyBurger
Mar 29, 2007, 01:00 PM
Site makes it sound like Apple is gonna skip the Santa Rosa phase or something...

Bye Bye Baby
Mar 29, 2007, 01:04 PM
Everyone is wondering why don't Apple upgrade their processors every time there's a new product, but they don't understand that Apple has inventory. In order to get a decent price from Intel Apple has to agree to buy so many processors- they can't buy the next thing if they haven't sold what they have already bought!!!!

It's about cost guys!!! Apple is a business!!!

Apple is a small customer, they have to buy in order to get margin. They have to sell in order to get profit.

matticus008
Mar 29, 2007, 01:14 PM
Site makes it sound like Apple is gonna skip the Santa Rosa phase or something...
No it doesn't. Penryn and Nehalem will run on Santa Rosa.

And I agree 'MacBook' is indeed a stupid name that I will never get over. The "Core" brand is pretty boring and generic, but at least it's not a horribly assembled portmanteau like MacBook.

tristan
Mar 29, 2007, 01:26 PM
Remember that eighteen months ago, Andy Grove met with Steve Jobs, opened his suitcase, and showed him the shape of things to come for the next five years, and then asked in his hungarian accent "Mr. Jobs, are you sure you want to wait for IBM to release the Mobile G5?"

Well, probably not Andy Grove, he was retired by then, but it sounds better that way.

Jobs new how to pick a winner, he's so cool. Two years ago did anyone think that dual CPU would be standard on every new machine, including laptops?

And yes, if you want the latest and greatest, you do have to buy a new mac every year. Basically what Intel has said is that every other year they're going to do a die shrink, and in the off years, they're going to release new architectures. There's no way AMD can keep up. But its not like a two-year old Mac will be worthless - you'll just have a bad case of the envies.

Rocksaurus
Mar 29, 2007, 01:59 PM
http://www.hkepc.com/bbs/itnews.php?tid=698577&starttime=0&endtime=0

Thanks Aiden! Pretty cool stuff.

GanleyBurger
Mar 29, 2007, 02:03 PM
[QUOTE=matticus008;3493919]No it doesn't. Penryn and Nehalem will run on Santa Rosa.

So will the imac or Macbook pro "up" to the new 3.0 or higher.... Santa Rosa... flash rumors... etc... before summer? Or do we have to wait until September 2007...???

Swarmlord
Mar 29, 2007, 02:11 PM
Everyone is wondering why don't Apple upgrade their processors every time there's a new product, but they don't understand that Apple has inventory. In order to get a decent price from Intel Apple has to agree to buy so many processors- they can't buy the next thing if they haven't sold what they have already bought!!!!

Apple is a small customer, they have to buy in order to get margin. They have to sell in order to get profit.

I hope they put all those spare C2D's into the new iMac Mini about the time Leopard is released.

bpjauburn
Mar 29, 2007, 02:58 PM

Six months of inventory (i.e. inventory turns of twice per year) in a business with a high obsolescence rate would be financial suicide.

viperguy
Mar 29, 2007, 03:01 PM

Sometimes buying a lot of things at the same time sounds like a good idea, because it *might* reduce prices. It's not like it *will*... But considering that Apple is saving for buying in big quantities, you can't forget that there are inventory costs for keeping all those products somewhere until someone buys it.
It's a 2 edged sword.... either you spend more stocking things or buying less and paying more for it.

Capitalism rocks :)

viperguy
Mar 29, 2007, 03:04 PM
Six months of inventory (i.e. inventory turns of twice per year) in a business with a high obsolescence rate would be financial suicide.

Agreed :)

trule
Mar 29, 2007, 03:12 PM
And thus we now know why Apple went Intel. IMHO one of the boldest and smartest moves Jobs has ever made. I really really doubt the PPC would be anywhere near where AMD and more importantly Intel is right now.

Right now the latest PPC is powering the PS3 and Super computers, with 8 cores. Its so fast they are not sure what to do with it...

matticus008
Mar 29, 2007, 03:20 PM
So will the imac or Macbook pro "up" to the new 3.0 or higher.... Santa Rosa... flash rumors... etc... before summer? Or do we have to wait until September 2007...???
You won't have a Penryn MBP crossing 3GHz before 2008. Santa Rosa certainly will not appear in any Mac before summer, since Santa Rosa isn't due out until very late spring at the earliest.
Right now the latest PPC is powering the PS3 and Super computers, with 8 cores. Its so fast they are not sure what to do with it...
But it's not a full-on computer processor. It's a selective, highly optimized version that's very good at what it does, and not very good at all doing anything else. Supercomputers are not using PS3 chips, but when you have hundreds of cores churning, you're in a different ball game entirely compared to what can be done at home.

There are still supercomputers out there with 300MHz CPU cores that outperform our desktops by huge margins--that doesn't mean that they're suitable for use in the home environment.

Maccus Aurelius
Mar 29, 2007, 04:02 PM
I'm completely happy with my CD Macbook, and I still use my G3 iMac as a small DVD player for the bedroom. I will never part with this machine until it's run into the ground, and 7 years later it still works nicely with two pairs of JBL duet speakers hooked into its two speaker jacks :D

princealfie
Mar 29, 2007, 04:13 PM
I was slightly disappointed because I was hoping for improvements in battery composition and technology. Chip improvements are good but for a laptop, I want to get like 10-14 hours long on one charge.

Val-kyrie
Mar 29, 2007, 04:55 PM
For those of you who are interested in more information on Penryn and future Intel processors, including rough time tables for production, die shrinks, new architectures vs. revisions of chip architectures, and feature sets, see

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/intel/showdoc.aspx?i=2955

This gives relevant information, e.g., mobile computers will only get dual-core chips; quad-cores are only for desktops, though some dual-cores will also go into some desktops, etc.

SiliconAddict
Mar 29, 2007, 05:00 PM
I was slightly disappointed because I was hoping for improvements in battery composition and technology. Chip improvements are good but for a laptop, I want to get like 10-14 hours long on one charge.

Ha. Good luck on that one anytime in the near future. :p The screen alone is a battery killer.

gnasher729
Mar 29, 2007, 06:07 PM

Does that mean you are going to buy an iPhone first, then a MacPro instead of the other way round?

GanleyBurger
Mar 29, 2007, 06:18 PM

all I want to know is if we will get OS X 10.5 and Santa Rosa by June... in either the 24" imac or the 17" MBP.

Otherwise, I will be forced to buy now. I need to use it for Music recording this summer. Unfortunately, I can't wait until September. :mad:

Aaaaaaggggggghhhhhhh!!!!!!

matticus008
Mar 29, 2007, 06:21 PM
Then go bother display manufacturers. The LCD and related parts consume well over half of the battery of a notebook computer. Current processors draw so little power that they're not even in the top three anymore.

jesteraver
Mar 29, 2007, 08:36 PM
I'm holding off until 2008 for an Apple laptop, should have a WiMax chip from Intel booyah.

Latest I can wait for a new iMac is September

Cult Follower
Mar 29, 2007, 09:32 PM
I'm really glad Apple switched to intel.

OldCorpse
Mar 29, 2007, 10:17 PM
Then go bother display manufacturers. The LCD and related parts consume well over half of the battery of a notebook computer. Current processors draw so little power that they're not even in the top three anymore.

Actually, LED screens are supposed to be much less power hungry. And they're supposed to be just around the corner. So that part at least might get solved. Then again, I'm quite disappointed by the rate of innovation in screens and even more in batteries... we were supposed to have batteries that ran for 48 hours by now according to various optimistic reports a few years ago, Toshiba even made a prototype model... then it all died.

Anyhow: how about waiting till 08/09 for a laptop with: new form factor + Nehalem + LED screens + SuperBattery + OSX 10.6 Lion :) :) :)... it's only 18 months - 2 years away!

Make7UPYours
Mar 30, 2007, 12:05 AM
haha i hate to be a loser but I just realized that... since I live in beaverton, which is where Intel is currently located, the chipset names are based off street names and neighborhoods around the Beaverton and Hillsboro area.. I live on Nehalem haha neeeeeeeeeeat :cool:

Infrared
Mar 30, 2007, 12:40 AM

That may well be true, but:

http://images.apple.com/getamac/images/intel_header20060428.gif

(from here: http://www.apple.com/getamac/intel.html )

The quad-core chips came out er.. when was it?

November? The last ice age?

Cheers :)

GanleyBurger
Mar 30, 2007, 01:08 AM
Speed in Excess of 3 Gigahertz!! That's unpossible.

I ated the PENRYN berries... they taste like... burning!!! :eek:

jouster
Mar 30, 2007, 07:20 AM
....and half wanting our current mac that we love so dearly to just not be able to boot one day like a cheap PC or for it to get stolen or fall off a desk and die, but this just doesn't happen.

It can be arranged.

johnee
Mar 30, 2007, 07:42 AM
... we were supposed to have batteries that ran for 48 hours by now according to various optimistic reports a few years ago, Toshiba even made a prototype model... then it all died.

When it comes to energy, you are battling mother nature and her rowdy laws of physics. and she's one tough mother...

She makes it very, VERY difficult to make a long lasting battery which is not only safe, but cost effective and won't destroy the planet (or at least a small town) during it's creation.

Flynnstone
Mar 30, 2007, 02:00 PM
haha i hate to be a loser but I just realized that... since I live in beaverton, which is where Intel is currently located, the chipset names are based off street names and neighborhoods around the Beaverton and Hillsboro area.. I live on Nehalem haha neeeeeeeeeeat :cool:

I live on Lake Conroe.

zac4mac
Mar 30, 2007, 02:24 PM
I graduated from Conroe High School, in Conroe Texas.

nice place to visit except for july to september...

@johnee - thanks for the reference to slaughterhouse five :-)

jesteraver
Mar 31, 2007, 09:21 PM
One thing for sure going to get the next revised iMac hopefully it will have the first 45nm core with it and BD player and OS 10.5.

Then wait 3-4 years for the 22nm core booyah!

2 more months until I move. Apple please dont release it after June but hey, if you have to ... i'll be waiting until September when school starts!!!

Release it please already my iMac G5 is just not cutting it anymore.

Man oh man it takes forever to convert a dvd to mp4 h.264 or even avi to mp4 h.264.

ARGH

nickane
Apr 1, 2007, 02:30 PM
And I agree 'MacBook' is indeed a stupid name that I will never get over. The "Core" brand is pretty boring and generic, but at least it's not a horribly assembled portmanteau like MacBook.

Should've called it a "mactop". It emphasises the integration that makes them unique from all other notebooks. Undoubtedly, fanboys would have been up in arms about how such a name disavows Apple's role as the inventor of the laptop (heard this said so many times...), even though they don't mind speaking disparagingly of PCs, even though own fandom attests the fact that their relationship with their macs is anything but impersonal, and their confusion regarding the invention of laptops stems from the fact that Apple actually coined the term "Personal Computer".

matticus008
Apr 1, 2007, 03:24 PM
Should've called it a "mactop".
Har har. Happy April Fools. That's even worse than MacBook.

Erasmus
Apr 3, 2007, 01:34 AM
I will NOT be tempted to wait for Penryn I will NOT be tempted to wait for Penryn I will NOT be tempted to wait for Penryn...

Says it all, really...

tristan
Apr 4, 2007, 03:08 AM
Anandtech link is great, one of my favorite sites. Looks like:

2007 Penryn, 45nm Core2
2008 Nehalam, 45nm introduces memory controller, threading
2009 Westmere, 32nm
2010 Gesher, 32 nm in design now

Many Bothans died to give us this information, so we know its true.

No actually, it's all about the new Intel. Ever since they got their ass handed to them by Opteron and Athlon 64 they've been a much more open company but also with a much more aggressive strategy, which is why we're seeing so much innovation now. I love the new company, and yes, if Intel was a pretty girl I would marry her.

Flynnstone
Apr 4, 2007, 02:01 PM
If you want quad cores now , you can do it. Not from Apple.
If you can justify the price, swap out the duals for the quads.

Edit ...
Ah just go to Apple and by 8 Core PowerMac now ! :D
Justifying price still applies :D