PDA

View Full Version : PSp game for trip? - a lot of gameplay

aholden12592
Mar 29, 2007, 01:16 AM
so im going to italy from california and i was thinking of getting a psp game for the plane rides. these are pretty darn long - 10 hours (i dunno). so for there and back 10 hours after subtracting listening to ipod and socializing. what game would you recommend?

Osarkon
Mar 29, 2007, 03:52 AM
Worms: Open Warefare or Loco Roco perhaps?

PSP games never seem to last long..:(

JackAxe
Mar 29, 2007, 04:14 AM
Have you considered buying a DS? I'm not being a zealot here, but the DS has lots of great games. I played through most of Phoenix Write on my last trip. Currently I'm playing Magical Starsign, and will be playing FF3 next.

It's OK to own both portables. I will later this year. They are both small enough to share the same carry on bag. :)

<]=)

BoyBach
Mar 29, 2007, 04:14 AM
The only PSP game that has held my attention for longer than a hour, and therefore the only one that I can recommend, is Everybody's Golf.

Dagless
Mar 29, 2007, 06:24 AM
Advance Wars DS :D

No really. I've pumped about 90 hours into that game.

aholden12592
Mar 29, 2007, 09:04 AM
I dont really want to drop 100 dollars right now but are there no psp games that can last that long. Let me reput the question - i need 5-10 hours of gameplay

sikkinixx
Mar 29, 2007, 09:16 AM
Hmmm... Lumines I/II since you generally spend about and hour and half doing one game only to lose, swear, and start over. I dunno how long Syphon Filter is but it's a pretty good action game, as is GTA:VCS. The Sega Genesis collection will keep you busy if you like old school games since Phantasy Star IV alone is a good 10 hours to beat. Ratchet and Clank maybe?

angelneo
Mar 29, 2007, 09:38 AM
The Sega Genesis collection will keep you busy if you like old school games since Phantasy Star IV alone is a good 10 hours to beat. Ratchet and Clank maybe?
I recommend the Sega Collection as well, maybe it's because I'm used to have such great time playing them when I was younger. I'm now playing some of my old favourite sega games on my psp as well. (Shining Force 1&2, Warsong).

Other than that, I would say maybe MGS: Portable Ops. or X-men:Alliance.

TheGimp
Mar 29, 2007, 10:01 AM
Colin Mcrae Rally (VERY hard but very rewarding and with great GFX)
RPG: Kingdom of Paradise (something like that)
Wipeout (get gold medals in every event) + free expansions
Metal Gear Acid (turn-based game) and Metal Gear Solid: Portable OPs
NES, SNES, Neo Geo, Turbo GFX 16, Genesis, and SMS collection (those should keep you busy for a while). The Metal Slug games alone should eat up at least a quarter of your trip.
if you like puzzle games, then get Mercury and Lumines. You can superset those to eat up most of the trip.

Don't listen to those recommending a DS. The ones worth playing are much too good to be wasted on a trip. :P

Osarkon
Mar 29, 2007, 10:25 AM
Syphon Filter is a really good action game, plenty of things to keep you busy. Not sure about MGS : Portable Ops because they STILL haven't released it in the UK, but it looks amazing and has reviews to back it, so that might be a worthwhile purchase.

Coded-Dude
Mar 29, 2007, 10:39 AM
As stated: Syphon Filter is excellent, but other than that I would recommend the following...

Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops
(if you have the Japanese gps, I'm pretty sure you can unlock characters while you travel from WiFi hotspot to hotspot)
Field Commander(if you don't feel like buying/bringing a DS for Advance Wars)
Ratchet & Clank: Size Matters
Daxter
Family Guy is fun on the portable, but I don't know if it has the replay value you are looking for.
.....and of course ANY of the Grand Theft Auto's have plenty of challenges to keep you gaming for a while.

Cheers and have fun.

If you want classics: Mega Man, Gradius, Street Fighter, Metal Slug, etc.

MyJelleo
Mar 29, 2007, 11:01 AM
Final fantasy 7, or any other classic psx game

There's software out there that converts your psx games into playable form on the psp. Final fantasy 7 should last you 30-40 hours, so that takes care of your trip. It also saves you on battery life since its running off of the memory card.

Corrosive vinyl
Mar 29, 2007, 01:19 PM
There is a katamari damacy game for the PSP... I don't know if the OP is interested in nearly insane ideas for games, though! :)

aholden12592
Mar 30, 2007, 10:29 AM
i tried the demo for syphon filter and it really wasn't that fun. im thinking about The Warriors...

Nickygoat
Mar 30, 2007, 11:41 AM
Without wishing to breach the piracy regs on MR have you considered changing the firmware on your PSP to an open version? Then you can stick all your legally owned games onto your memory stick and switch between them when you get bored. Saves carrying around a load of UMDs, or you can stick ripped films on there.

Feel free to delete if this breaches any rules :)

psychofreak
Mar 30, 2007, 11:43 AM
I don't have a portable console right now but a friend loved and got a lot of play from Monster Hunter...

Klingbeil
Mar 30, 2007, 12:41 PM
i used to do a lot of traveling and my PSP kept me

if you're into old school, i got a lot of play out of the Pirates! remake for the PSP and it's at bargain bin prices now. there's an EA collection for the PSP with Wing Commander and a lot of other good games, but avoid it... they're all SNES versions and virtually unplayable. biggest waste of $29 i ever spent on a PSP game. no where on the box could i find that they were the half-assed SNES versions of good PC games.

but anyways...

if you like Zelda-esque RPG's, the PSP version of Y's kept me entertained on some long plane trips. that's probably also in the bargain bin by now.

my friend says Puzzle Quest is very good if you can find it, but i'm not into those types of games personally. lumines is crap if you ask me, but hey... to each their own.

aholden12592
Mar 30, 2007, 03:56 PM
I don't have a portable console right now but a friend loved and got a lot of play from Monster Hunter...

i had monster hunter but i was so incredibly bad that i traded it to my friend for field commander...which was repetetive and boring. i think im going with The warriors

lordmac
Mar 30, 2007, 05:03 PM
i used to do a lot of traveling and my PSP kept me

if you're into old school, i got a lot of play out of the Pirates! remake for the PSP and it's at bargain bin prices now.

I second the vote for pirates!. It nice and mostly open ended too, so if you get bored playing game of it, you can play it again and have different results if you will. The other game game for my psp i have enjoyed a lot is burnout legends, nothing like crashing cars, plus i find that the psp controls lends itself out well to racing games.

thequicksilver
Mar 31, 2007, 03:12 AM
Ridge Racer or Wipeout Pure have kept me going.

aholden12592
Apr 1, 2007, 01:53 AM
so i ended up getting the warriors (already have wipeout pure) and it is awesome. there is so much to do and the big power moves are really cool.

tjcampbell
Apr 4, 2007, 04:42 AM
I had a train ride from London to Aberystwyth (long!!!!) and I played "Syphon Filter" the entire way. It's an awesome game and likely my favorite so far on the PSP. I've also had a blast with Lumines, but it can be a bit stressful! Someone on here mentioned the DS. In ALL honesty. The DS Lite is a better machine than the PSP. You should fold her up and dip it in your pocket. Unlike the PSP which you always have to be careful with and wait for it to load. The only reason I still use the PSP is because of the video feature. I have PSPware and often put family guy episodes and such on it. But in the games department I find myself playing my girlfriend's DS Lite more than anything. I played Mario on the plane the other day for 4 hours. Either way, you'll have fun.
PSP - Syphon Filter
DS - New Super Mario Bros

c-Row
Apr 4, 2007, 05:38 AM
WipEout Pure
Lumines
Gottlieb's Pinball
Mercury Meltdown

2nyRiggz
Apr 4, 2007, 11:37 PM
Wipeout Pure
Lumines 1 & 2
LocoRoco
MGS: PO
Exit
GTA...both of em

Bless

Osarkon
Apr 6, 2007, 01:45 PM
MGS: PO will definitely keep you going, got it yesterday and yikes it's frustatingly hard compared to the old ones and a whole lot more complex. It's easily kept me going 24 hours. :D