PDA

View Full Version : Volunteers needed for an on-line game survey (hosted by Michigan State University)

bowmanspartan
Mar 29, 2007, 08:58 AM
Dear gamers,

A group of research scientists at Michigan State University are conducting a short, on-line survey aimed at studying the video game play patterns and interests of video game players. Your participation in this study will help media researchers better understand video gamers and how they interact with video games. The study can be found at:

http://research.adv.msu.edu/ss/wsb.dll/weber/VideoGames3.htm

It shouldn't take more than 15 minutes to complete, and the only requirement is that you must be over the age of 18. Unfortunately we cannot offer any sort of payment for your time, but your participation will go a long way in helping us better understand role-playing gamers, and is greatly appreciated

Your information will also be kept anonymous and confidential, and will not be shared with anyone.

If you'd like to participate, just follow the link posted above, and it will take you directly to the survey Web page. If the link does not work, you can cut and paste it into your Web browser.

If you have any further questions, you may contact Melissa Lewis (lewismel@msu.edu) or Nick Bowman(bowmann5@msu.edu) at Michigan State University.

If you have any questions or concerns regarding your rights as a study participant, or if you were dissatisfied at any time with any aspect of this study you may contact - anonymously, if you wish - Peter Vasilenko, Ph.D., Chair of the University Committee on Research Involving Human Subjects (UCRIHS) at ucrihs@msu.edu.

Thanks again, and I'll see you on-line!

mattscott306
Mar 29, 2007, 09:13 AM
Phew, done.

thejadedmonkey
Mar 29, 2007, 09:23 AM
So is this study about video games in general, or the emotional effects of WoW on WoWaholics?:p

mattscott306
Mar 29, 2007, 09:30 AM
So is this study about video games in general, or the emotional effects of WoW on WoWaholics?:p

I think choice to is closer to the mark. I was speeding along and then all the sudden... WOA personal questions?! lol

mkrishnan
Mar 29, 2007, 09:37 AM
Good luck with your study... slightly surreal thinking about how I perceive myself to be Super Mario. ;)

Couple suggestions, quick, as a psychology researcher:

1) You want to have time anchors. You should really be asking, in the future, "How much did you ... in the PAST TWO WEEKS" or "PAST TWO MONTHS" or whatever, because these things change over time. You can place this time anchor in the introductory text as is usually done, e.g. "For the following questions, consider your experience over the past two weeks." You're dealing with adults. So I've been playing games since the age of 5 years and am almost 32 now. My frequency has varied dramatically over those 26+ years. I got a DS Lite this week and I've been playing 30 min / day, but for the year preceding that, I played maybe 30 min / 2 months. That's extreme, but even more serious gamers go through this kind of variation.

2) Very minor point, action/adventure games (Mario, Sonic, etc) didn't seem to fit into your category scheme. Adults play them too dammit! ;)

Anyway, good luck with your project.

Jasonbot
Mar 29, 2007, 09:58 AM
That took a while, sadly though my character was the guy from Rainbow 6 and those questions seemed directed at people with Characters in an RPG game like World of Warcraft or something!

mattscott306
Mar 29, 2007, 10:15 AM
That took a while, sadly though my character was the guy from Rainbow 6 and those questions seemed directed at people with Characters in an RPG game like World of Warcraft or something!

I the question about you controlling your character confused me, you control a character in almost every game, so I answered yes and had to go back and redo it once I figured out they were looking for more RPG related characters. (I was talking about Starcraft--- yah oldschool)

Mackilroy
Mar 29, 2007, 11:24 AM
My main game was Sim City… heh.

mkrishnan
Mar 29, 2007, 11:53 AM
My main game was Sim City… heh.

I guess that would be the example where you don't have a character. :D

Ja Di ksw
Mar 29, 2007, 11:56 AM
I guess that would be the example where you don't have a character. :D

The mayor? God?

savar
Mar 29, 2007, 12:23 PM

Yeah, I picked Gears as my favorite game of the moment. It's weird to me that I would identify with any of the characters, since they're all hyper-realistic, comic book style heroes.

But still, the point remains that when I play a game I tend to think of it as "me" playing the game, not the character that they have cast me into. I think that's what they were trying to get at.

Cool survey, I hope the OP posts back when the results are published.

Jasonbot
Mar 29, 2007, 12:41 PM
Yeah, I picked Gears as my favorite game of the moment. It's weird to me that I would identify with any of the characters, since they're all hyper-realistic, comic book style heroes.

I hope you chose Cole Train as your "favourite character", Everyone can relate to him;)

Sdashiki
Mar 29, 2007, 01:36 PM
the typical BS:

Strongly Disagree

Disagree

Slightly Disagree

Neither Agree Nor Disagree

Slightly Agree

Agree

Strongly Agree

questions were very biased.

they all mention stuff that are presumed about video gamers, but if this is a survey of sorts, the questions shouldnt be 90% geared towards "video games cause me problems"

i think the questions need to be revamped into something a little more universal, and not so "video games are bad"

every question has a negative adjective:

"serious problems"
"alienating"
"if i didnt"

and the ones that talk like video games are a freakin narcotic:

"I often think that I should cut down on the amount I play video games."
"It seems like I play more and more video games lately for the same amount of enjoyment."
"My video game playing has created problems for me, but I keep playing video games."
"I feel bad that I play so many video games, but I can't seem to stop."

I cant believe this is a serious survey