PDA

View Full Version : Really stupid question about 360.

bluewire
Mar 29, 2007, 10:11 AM
Hey guys

I just got a 360. Its been great. However, this thing is really loud. The fan is constantly going and I feel like I have an airblower in the room.

Is this typical????

bluewire
Mar 29, 2007, 10:44 AM
Natch, its the DVD drive not the fan thats loud.

Anyone else having the same problem?

MyJelleo
Mar 29, 2007, 10:56 AM
I'm pretty sure the fan is adding to the loudness as well. I've heard my friend's going, and the xbox 360 is a beast. The PS3 is also a noisy animal. I guess, that's the price you pay for power.

Wiis, however, are nice and quiet. I love Wii.

Mackilroy
Mar 29, 2007, 11:16 AM
You probably got one of the older 360s then – the newer models use BenQ drives that are supposed to be quieter. As for the loudness, that's normal and harmless. Don't worry about it.

TheBobcat
Mar 29, 2007, 11:20 AM
My drive got REALLY loud, and also was sticking sometimes when it would open, so MS replaced it under the warrenty.

The fans are not quiet either, but just try it without a disk. If its the drive, and you notice anything irregular, call if your still under warranty.

yellow
Mar 29, 2007, 11:24 AM
My fan and DVD are really loud in my 360. It's placement in an armoire doesn't help much.

skinnylegs
Mar 29, 2007, 11:26 AM
I've had my 360 for about 6-8 months and yeah.....it is really noisy. That said, most of the time it is on I'm playing CoD3 multiplayer so it's kind of a moot point. :D

yellow
Mar 29, 2007, 11:29 AM
I got some sort of intercooler that sits on the bottom and has a fan as well, that helped with the extreme noise. It helped deal with the vibrations from the unit nicely. So now it's just damn loud rather than really ****ing loud.

giganten
Mar 29, 2007, 11:30 AM
Yeah the DVD is making some noise here too but the fans are not so loud, not quit either. But i don’t hear the box when i am playing.

rtdgoldfish
Mar 29, 2007, 11:38 AM
My 360 is silent now. Oh wait...thats cuz some ******* stole it! Hahaha, I crack myself up...

Seriously though, it is kinda noisy but when you are playing a game or watching a movie, I hardly ever notice it.

From what I read, don't buy one of those intercooler fan things. They dont have their own power supply so they drain power out of the 360 and shorten its life. If it dies because of that thing, your warantee is no good.

Suture
Mar 29, 2007, 11:41 AM
I just blast the sound to drown it out :)

whooleytoo
Mar 29, 2007, 11:46 AM
You probably got one of the older 360s then – the newer models use BenQ drives that are supposed to be quieter. As for the loudness, that's normal and harmless. Don't worry about it.

Is there any way to find out which you have? When was the changeover?

giganten
Mar 29, 2007, 11:54 AM
Is there any way to find out which you have? When was the changeover?

You have some pictures on the hitachi and samsung drive.
http://www.llamma.com/xbox360/Xbox_360_DVD_Drive_Comparison.htm

whooleytoo
Mar 29, 2007, 12:19 PM
You have some pictures on the hitachi and samsung drive.
http://www.llamma.com/xbox360/Xbox_360_DVD_Drive_Comparison.htm

Cheers. Unfortunately mine is winging its way to support for (guess what) a dud DVD drive, but I'll be interested to check when I get it back.

SamIchi
Mar 29, 2007, 12:41 PM
Here you are

http://cache.gizmodo.com/assets/resources/2007/02/xbox360drives.jpg

I'm pretty sure I dont' have a BenQ drive. I have the Samsung one, which is supposed to be a bit quieter than the Hitachi ones. Which doesn't say much. Might have to do a swap.

giganten
Mar 29, 2007, 02:30 PM
I have the Samsung drive too. On my first box i had the Hitachi, it was little louder but not much.

darkwing
Mar 29, 2007, 02:53 PM
I'm pretty sure the fan is adding to the loudness as well. I've heard my friend's going, and the xbox 360 is a beast. The PS3 is also a noisy animal. I guess, that's the price you pay for power.

Wiis, however, are nice and quiet. I love Wii.

Strange... my PS3 is super quiet, and Ed who owns both a PS3 and a Wii says the PS3 is the quieter of the two. I've heard a Wii fan going in stores. Maybe you saw those ps3 displays that are popping up lately that are super loud? The ps3 inside the case is fake.. there's a real one underneath (you can see it through the vent holes) with a powerful fan under there making all the noise.