PDA

View Full Version : New superdrive acting weird in my G5

leekohler
Mar 29, 2007, 12:40 PM
OK, this is what looks to be my on-going superdrive saga. So I got a new drive from OWC (a Pioneer DVR-109AB) after my other one died. I installed it, did the firmware update and everything has been fine, til last night. I tried to burn a DVD using DVD2OneX. After the file processed, it gave me a burn error saying that no DVD player was present. Now I had just used DVD2OneX the night before and it was fine. So I tried burning a data DVD and that worked. Burning a CD from iTunes also worked. So what do you guys think? Is this a software issue? Should I just reinstall DVD2OneX?

Keebler
Mar 29, 2007, 12:53 PM
i would look for an update first. might be a known bug? if that doesn't work, then i would repair permissions. failing that, yup..reinstall.

leekohler
Mar 29, 2007, 12:55 PM
i would look for an update first. might be a known bug? if that doesn't work, then i would repair permissions. failing that, yup..reinstall.

Thanks man- I'll do that. Oh I tried the permissions thing already, should have said so.

leekohler
Mar 29, 2007, 08:19 PM
Ok, I got the update and burned one DVD OK. But I went to burn a larger file and it gave me this error again "ERROR: 1:burn: no CD/DVD drives present hdiutil: burn failed - Operation not suported by device." Anybody have a clue as to what this is all about? This is the same error as before.

mjstew33
Mar 29, 2007, 08:22 PM
I'm not sure if it will make a difference, but what about a movie dvd? throw something quick up in iMovie & iDVD and see if it will burn through there.

If not, call OWC, I guess.

leekohler
Mar 29, 2007, 10:08 PM
OK- the plot thickens. This drive is falling asleep I'm guessing. Just on a hunch, I popped out the blank DVD while DVD2oneX was processing and waited til one minute before it was done and popped the blank back in. Guess what? It burned. That would explain why it was fine doing smaller files- less time to process. Anybody know if there's a way to keep this drive from sleeping?

TheSpaz
Mar 30, 2007, 12:55 PM
OK- the plot thickens. This drive is falling asleep I'm guessing. Just on a hunch, I popped out the blank DVD while DVD2oneX was processing and waited til one minute before it was done and popped the blank back in. Guess what? It burned. That would explain why it was fine doing smaller files- less time to process. Anybody know if there's a way to keep this drive from sleeping?

System Preferences>Energy Saver> Then Uncheck "Put Hard Disk(s) to Sleep When Possible"

Yes, I know it says "hard disks" as if it's talking about just hard drives but, it is a universal setting to disable all drives from sleeping, even optical drives.

leekohler
Mar 30, 2007, 05:51 PM
System Preferences>Energy Saver> Then Uncheck "Put Hard Disk(s) to Sleep When Possible"

Yes, I know it says "hard disks" as if it's talking about just hard drives but, it is a universal setting to disable all drives from sleeping, even optical drives.

Oh boy- I feel kind of stupid. ;) That worked! Thanks! As always, MR is the best!

leekohler
Mar 31, 2007, 03:40 AM
Hey- maybe this should be a FAQ. This seems to be an easily answered question and I'm sure I'm not the first or the last to ask it.