PDA

View Full Version : Sorry guys, another stupid question about 360 and monitors...

bluewire
Mar 29, 2007, 02:17 PM
If you buy a monitor with a 16:10 aspect ratio, if you hook that up to your 360 and output at 720i, are there two small black bars top and bottom of the screen since the 16:10 is a tad bigger then the 720i 16:9 output?

I see a cheap monitor and am curious about this but wasn't sure...or can you stretch it out? to fill the screen?

swiftaw
Mar 29, 2007, 02:20 PM
How would you connect to the monitor? VGA? If so it eould display at the native resolution of the monitor.

bluewire
Mar 29, 2007, 02:23 PM
How would you connect to the monitor? VGA? If so it eould display at the native resolution of the monitor.

I guess it'd be VGA. The monitor I'm looking at doesn't have a DVI port.

I am planning to buy a huge HDTV but probably not for a year. In lieu of that, I was considering buying a cheap widescreen monitor to hold me over until that time (could always use an extra monitor anyways). Found a nice cheap one at Costco but was just curious...I guess I'm borderline OCD because the black bars would probably drive me nuts (LOL even thou they would comprise the tiniest of margins). That said, I'd still do it but was, again, just curious.

swiftaw
Mar 29, 2007, 02:26 PM
One thing you also have to remember is that a monitor has no capability to produce sound, so what would you do for audio?

bluewire
Mar 29, 2007, 02:28 PM
One thing you also have to remember is that a monitor has no capability to produce sound, so what would you do for audio?

Yeah I thought about that. Going to plug it into an old mini stero unit with speakers. Actually, looking back, the monitor has built in speakers. I bet its not the right input tho for split audio, is there a audio adapter to go into a mic port?

Damn I realized how ghetto this set up is going to be. :eek:

Mackilroy
Mar 29, 2007, 02:42 PM
I use my 360 on occasion with my 20" Dell monitor. Sound goes into my speaker set I got for Christmas, while I use VGA to connect to the monitor. There are no black bars of any kind in spite of what resolution I pick. :)

Also, the VGA cable comes with a plug that combines the audio into one jack. :)

risc
Mar 29, 2007, 02:43 PM
On my 360 if I use it via VGA on a 16:10 monitor the picture is stretched. There are no 16:10 resolutions available to choose from.

bluewire
Mar 29, 2007, 02:44 PM
On my 360 if I use it via VGA on a 16:10 monitor the picture is stretched. There are no 16:10 resolutions available to choose from.

How is the picture quality?

Damn if only my native HD 2' iMac had some video in ports!!!!!!!! :(

bluewire
Mar 29, 2007, 02:47 PM

Also, is the stretching pretty bad or is it a non issue?

risc
Mar 29, 2007, 02:55 PM
The picture quality is great. I got used to the stretching pretty quickly but I do prefer to play on a native 16:9 display.

Here's hoping Microsoft release an update to display 16:10 sooner rather than later (or never).

RamenBooko
Mar 29, 2007, 03:53 PM
It pretty much will do 1360 x 768 on most monitors, it is a little more stretched than 720p. Most games you won't notice a thing, but some games are different. PGR3 was weird when I did it, same thing I hear about PDZ too.

But, the quality is damn good.