PDA

View Full Version : What is making Wii fun?

giganten
Mar 29, 2007, 03:13 PM
I did get an Xbox 360 on the launch, but it wasnít my first choice. From the beginning I wanted the Nintendo Wii but my friend wanted me to go with him on the launch day when he should buy a 360, but we both walked home with a 360.

I am still interested in the Wii but I donít have any friends that have any, so I canít try it. So what is making it fun? Can you play DVD movies on the Wii? Is it worth to sell my 360 to get a Wii, or should I wait for Mass effect and Forza 2.

risc
Mar 29, 2007, 03:20 PM
Is it worth to sell my 360 to get a Wii...

Hell no it isn't worth selling your 360 to get a Wii.

The Wii is suffering from something called Whencanweexpectnewgamesitis.

Sky Blue
Mar 29, 2007, 03:28 PM
Can you play DVD movies on the Wii?

I think you might want to do some more research on your purchase there, champ.

bluewire
Mar 29, 2007, 03:29 PM
I think what makes the Wii fun is that it brings non gamers into the fold. The ease of use and interactivity makes it a great party system. If the Wii can get my mother and my wife to play, that is pretty cool.

Unfortunately, its games seem to be ps2 ports at this time and not all games crank out the fun factor of Wii Sports. That will change over the next year as more game developers understand the system more. The first party titles seem to "get it" more so, thus far...

But anyways, just my two cents.

zap2
Mar 29, 2007, 03:29 PM
Its fun, but so if the XBox 360, and since the 360 cost more, keep it and buy the Wii...there both great consoles, and I'd want them both

ghall
Mar 29, 2007, 03:32 PM
The Wii is suffering from something called Whencanweexpectnewgamesitis.

Yeah, there aren't a lot of great games for the Wii yet, except the games that are released on Virtual Console, but those don't really count.

Dagless
Mar 29, 2007, 03:51 PM
What's making it fun? almost 4 months since we've had ours and we're still having Wii Sports marathons. IMO the best game experience I've had. Before the Wii I'd never stick a games system in the living room. But now I can't imagine putting the Wii in my bedroom. Such a social console.

thejadedmonkey
Mar 29, 2007, 04:13 PM
the 360 is an (opinionated statement warning!) underpowered PS3, which is a more powerful PS2, which is a more powerful PS1, which is a disk using ripoff of the N64, which is an upgraded SNES, which is the predecessor of the NES, which was the competitor of the Atari. So, basically what I'm getting to, is that the 360 is just a super-powerful NES, more of less.. throw in some multi-player action, and add more buttons on the controller.

The Wii isn't an upgrade, more like a cross-grade. Sure it still plays games but everything that you knew about a game system is wrong. Have you ever watched a n00b (like myself) pick up a game controller for the first time, and as they push the button to make Mario jump, lift the controller. Now, the Wii can detect that. After something like 2 decades of the same old (just with progressively better graphics) the will is completely different.

I don't know if the Wii will lose it's luster after a while or not, but it's one hell of a system. I've never played tennis so much in my life!

P.S. I'm not paid by anyone to write such glowing reviews, and I'm not even a N fanboy!:eek:

giganten
Mar 29, 2007, 04:14 PM
Alright, I think I will wait with the Wii till it is easier to get, more games and maybe the price is lower too. And keep my 360 (an awesome machine), have fun playing the games I have and wait for Mass effect and Forza 2 to be released.

Chone
Mar 29, 2007, 04:21 PM
the 360 is an (opinionated statement warning!) underpowered PS3, which is a more powerful PS2, which is a more powerful PS1, which is a disk using ripoff of the N64, which is an upgraded SNES, which is the predecessor of the NES, which was the competitor of the Atari. So, basically what I'm getting to, is that the 360 is just a super-powerful NES, more of less.. throw in some multi-player action, and add more buttons on the controller.

The Wii isn't an upgrade, more like a cross-grade. Sure it still plays games but everything that you knew about a game system is wrong. Have you ever watched a n00b (like myself) pick up a game controller for the first time, and as they push the button to make Mario jump, lift the controller. Now, the Wii can detect that. After something like 2 decades of the same old (just with progressively better graphics) the will is completely different.

I don't know if the Wii will lose it's luster after a while or not, but it's one hell of a system. I've never played tennis so much in my life!

P.S. I'm not paid by anyone to write such glowing reviews, and I'm not even a N fanboy!:eek:

Someone who has the need to emphasize the fact they are not fanboys when speaking roses about something really lose a lot of veracity, if your comments are unbiased, it will tell.

I don't agree with the super-powerful SNES comment nor the 2 decades of the same old nor the wii is completely different.

I do think that the Wii is an interesting console and should prove to be a great console for non-gamers, especially the ones who are big on social elements, you see, not all your friends can be up for a game of a highly complex RTS but you can definitely have some fun with Wii Sports with anyone and that makes it a great console.

It is definitely not the future of gaming though, personally I'm still enjoying PC/PS2/PS3/360 games more than Wii games (though Wii games are a refreshing, different experience) and I think it'll stay that way, blame it on the Wii's inherent characteristics or Nintendo's incredibly poor handling on games and the 3rd party. Personally I blame it on both.

Corrosive vinyl
Mar 29, 2007, 04:35 PM
Someone who has the need to emphasize the fact they are not fanboys when speaking roses about something really lose a lot of veracity, if your comments are unbiased, it will tell.

I don't agree with the super-powerful SNES comment nor the 2 decades of the same old nor the wii is completely different.

It is definitely not the future of gaming though, personally I'm still enjoying PC/PS2/PS3/360 games more than Wii games (though Wii games are a refreshing, different experience) and I think it'll stay that way, blame it on the Wii's inherent characteristics or Nintendo's incredibly poor handling on games and the 3rd party. Personally I blame it on both.

yes... but wasn't the Playstation originally just something that sony made to have a cd drive on the SNES, just like the Sega CD? The reason why the playstation was even made was because the execs at nintendo decided to scrap the project due to money. Sony thought, we have all this time and money invested in a CD based gaming system, so let's make one!

If the Wii is not the future of gaming systems, it is definitely a huge leap in the right direction.

DarrenSW
Mar 29, 2007, 04:45 PM
What is making Wii fun is still Wii Sports at the moment. No other titles show anything like the same imagination, so what we have are a load of ports with gimmicky control schemes bolted on. It's fortunate that the GameCube library still has a load of undiscovered gems, because without them, my Wii for one would be gathering dust.

DarrenSW
Mar 29, 2007, 04:46 PM
Except Excite Truck in single player with a SD card full of Evanescence, of course. That rocks :)

Dagless
Mar 29, 2007, 04:57 PM
Except Excite Truck in single player with a SD card full of Evanescence, of course. That rocks :)

Or the Hoff, Yello and Chumbawamba :D

...nope, I still think thats just me!

Mr. Burns
Mar 29, 2007, 05:53 PM
I got my Wii 15 minutes after it was delivered to the store, and couldn't pass it up. I'm very happy with it but I will not use it for serious gaming. The games I've played are last gen graphics, and the wiimote's controls on those games are not intuitive enough for me to be impressed enough above and beyond a standard controller (with a few minor exceptions-like aim/look/grenade on COD). After awhile, I felt no excitement using the wiimote on Zelda (although I like the game). I sat down to play it on my couch after the first hour. SSX Blur is fun, but bothersome on the wiimote. The Wii excels at simple tasks that mimic the actions you would perform in real life. That's why WiiSports is so fun. When I go snowboarding, I don't carve and do tricks by dancing like a hippie! :p

By far the best experience to be had on the Wii is with others. Multiplayer (in the same room with you) is so much fun! Drinking games and parties will never be the same!

Watch out when playing with kids (or accident prone people) though. My friend's kid nearly threw out his back landing on it, spinning around after striking out in baseball (we have hardwood floors, he was wearing socks).
And he was holding his arms when he left from going crazy on boxing! Wii injuries are embarassing to admit to coworkers. I know, I'm still getting crap (how's your Wii knee?).

My future purchases for the Wii will center on sports (which I never used to play on my Xbox), driving (will there be a Wii Mario Kart?), or Nintendo exclusives. Ridiculousness in the games helps the Wii too. Seriousness should be kept for the next gen consoles with the graphical power to back it up. If I had a Xbox 360, I would not sell it for a Wii (at least not right now with the already stated lack of killer games).

Edit: I may not sell a Xbox 360 for a Wii, but I would save up to buy one!

steamboat26
Mar 29, 2007, 06:15 PM
I'd say have both of them- thats what i am planning to do. With the 360, you get great online play, and amazing next gen graphics, and with the wii, you get amazing gameplay and highly addictive games.

zelmo
Mar 29, 2007, 07:46 PM
Or the Hoff, Yello and Chumbawamba :D

...nope, I still think thats just me!

I'm with you on Yello [former labelmates of The Residents, and Boris Blank is brilliant] but da Hoff???
jimmi jimmi jimmi...:rolleyes: :D

JackAxe
Mar 29, 2007, 08:15 PM
Pick the Wii up, it's an absolute blast. You truly need to experience it to see if it's right for you. Chances are that you won't regret the purchase, unless you're one of those grouchy type that frequent this board. The peeps that play 200 games a week and are never satisfied.

There are some great games for the Wii now. More than enough to be played before the next batch comes in April. There are many more slated for summer. It generally takes a year for a console to get its gaming feet, which really show its potential. This was certainly true for the 360.

The controls are hands down the best thing to happen to gaming and trully help to make it fun. There are so many games that are better played with a Wiimote <period>. It basically filled in the void where a traditional gamepad was lacking. Games like FPS and RTSs are best played on a Wiimote, if not a mouse, because they require pointing. This is something the Wiimote does precisely and quickly, given you're with in range of the sensor bar. Thumb-twiddlers will try to argue against this point, but that's like me trying to tell you the Earth doesn't have a Moon. Sports games are phenominal on the Wii. Tiger Wood golf as an example, is a great golf game bar none, because of its use of the Wiimote. Wii Sports as mentioned by others is a game that anyone will play. Nintendo really hit the mark with this console. There was an article on CNN last week, that older couples in their eighties were buying Wiis.

The controls really mix things up, which is both good and bad thing. Because it changes the way games are played, it adds a level of fun for most of us, but it does bring a learning curve. This is something others will gripe about, because now it takes more skill than mashing a button while watching a meter. Nintendo of course didn't abandon the thumb-stick, so the Wii offers the best of both worlds if done right. Developers are still in learning mode, so as some games are outstanding with their control implementation, others go overboard. It's like the DS, which has had a mix of great and bad games early on, because developers weren't experienced with its setup.

Just to comment on the graphics, since others have:
Graphically the Wii is currently living on ports. "Nothing" thus far has really shown its true potential. All consoles are plagued by this when new, as developers are still figuring things out. For the Wii, they've been focusing on the controls, which added a new layer of complexity, so didn't bother with the graphics for the most part. With the 360, it was focus on "one" core at first and rely heavily on the GPU. Look at the 360 games now compared to the first batch, which visually looked like last gen. Anyway, Metroid 3 (http://www.play-nintendo.com/playnintendo/content.php?content_id=448) will be the benchmark for the Wii's graphic capability.

<]=)

Agilus
Mar 29, 2007, 08:39 PM
What's making my Wii fun:

- Wii Sports
- The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
- Elebits
- Rayman: Raving Rabbids
- Some Gamecube games I won't list here (for brevity)

What is currently making it fun for some others, and probably me in the future, as well:

- Excite Truck
- Trauma Center: Second Opinion
- Lots of Virtual Console games (MK64, Super Mario World, Super Castlevania 4, Bonk's Adventure, Gunstar Heroes, and others)

What will make my Wii fun in the next two weeks:

- Super Paper Mario

I'm pretty selective of my games, and try not to buy more than will keep me busy (i.e. I try not to needlessly waste my money when I can wait for cheaper prices). Listed above are the games that I have either found to be fun, or games that have received enough attention and praise to get -my- attention. I read some random reviews, read gamerankings.com, talk to my friends, read Penny Arcade for what Gabe and Tycho like, see what people have to say on message boards (including this one), and check out demos when I can. I consider myself pretty informed, and have been happy with most of my purchasing decisions, especially the games I have gotten on sale.

Good luck! I'm sure you'll be happy with whatever decision you make! :)

sethypoo
Mar 29, 2007, 09:30 PM
I must add that SSX Blur is an amazing game. It's got one heck of a learning curve, so if you're new to video games, I would avoid it. I am by no means a gaming geek, but I can hold my own in Halo, Mario, Zelda, etc, but even SSX Blur took me some time to get used to.

Still, the motion based controls of the game are great. There's something exciting about motioning in a direction and seeing your character do a flip or spin in that direction.

apfhex
Mar 29, 2007, 11:21 PM
I must add that SSX Blur is an amazing game. It's got one heck of a learning curve, so if you're new to video games, I would avoid it.
Yes, once you get used to the controls it's pretty amazing. A few of the ubertricks are still annoying, but for the most part I think the controls work better than the previous SSX games on the PS2 (SSX3 in particular, the ubertricks were near-impossible to pull off) and it's a huge blast.

Excite truck too has a bit of a learning curve compared to traditional stick or pad based controls, but once you get used to it it works amazingly well with a high level of precision and ease.

Wii Sports was the most refreshing game experience I've had since... since playing my first video game ever. It was just crazy. Of course, there's not a whole lot there, so I haven't touched it much since launch, but it's really well done.

The Mii channel alone is a really big thing on the Wii and creating Mii's is almost a game on it's own considering the amount of fun you'll have (that's why they gave the Mii channel its own commercial I guess).

The Virtual Console is just such a good idea. It's GREAT to be able to buy classic games and play them on your TV without the bother of setting up a computer emulator.

bluewire
Mar 30, 2007, 10:57 AM
Just to comment on the graphics, since others have:
Graphically the Wii is currently living on ports. "Nothing" thus far has really shown its true potential. All consoles are plagued by this when new, as developers are still figuring things out. For the Wii, they've been focusing on the controls, which added a new layer of complexity, so didn't bother with the graphics for the most part.

<]=)

Graphics are overblown a bit. And you are right, the true potential has not been discovered.

Anyways, art direction matters more then graphics. Look at the SMB:Galaxies trailers...the colors and art direction is just amazing. It rivals any photorealistic FPS on the 360 or PS3.

JMO.

johnee
Mar 30, 2007, 11:18 AM
if i did get a game machine, it would be the wii.

The others might have better graphics, but the whole point of game play is to have fun, not to be impressed by the graphics.

ghall
Mar 30, 2007, 11:32 AM
What will make my Wii fun in the next two weeks:

- Super Paper Mario

I forgot about that one. So far that's the only Wii game I'm excited about, besides Super Smash Bros. Brawl, but I have no idea when that ones coming out.

giganten
Mar 30, 2007, 11:45 AM
I will maybe buy a Wii tomorrow. They had 1 left but I can't get to the store today :( .
I hope it is still there tomorrow. I was not allowed to order it so I can pick it up tomorrow but if I did call them before I did go the store then they could save it for me, if it is still there.

7on
Mar 30, 2007, 12:26 PM
I like my Wii, though I hardly play it with my lack of games/cash. And lack of decent Tv. My projector is too washed out to play anything (other than movies, of course) and my CRT is like 20".

giganten
Mar 31, 2007, 09:37 AM
I will maybe buy a Wii tomorrow. They had 1 left but I can't get to the store today :( .
I hope it is still there tomorrow. I was not allowed to order it so I can pick it up tomorrow but if I did call them before I did go the store then they could save it for me, if it is still there.

Aaa. I didnít get any Wii today. They still had the Wii in the store but the lady that worked today didnít want to sell it to me. Because someone had pre-order it, 3 weeks ago.
I did tell her that I had talked to a guy in the store over the phone yesterday and he told me I could buy it because they guy who had the pre-order never come to get it. But the lady say, No you canít buy it I did take the pre-order from him and I will not sell it.
So no luck for me. :(

zap2
Mar 31, 2007, 09:41 AM
^^

When you get your Wii, be sure to pick up The Godfather:Blackhand Edition, it makes great use of the Wii Remote and Nunchuck

giganten
Apr 1, 2007, 07:40 AM
I did order Wii today. They told me they will maybe have 150 - 200 units tomorrow. I hope it is true.

Dagless
Apr 1, 2007, 08:49 AM
What's making it fun? Metal Slug :D

Me and my sister played through Metal Slug 4 with unlimited continues before. Good stuff!

Foxglove9
Apr 1, 2007, 09:01 AM
What's making it fun? Metal Slug :D

Agree! It's my favorite game on that console so far, and by far the best value for the money.

giganten
Apr 2, 2007, 06:38 AM
No luck with the Wii here. I did get a mail today and they will not get any this month. :(

Maybe just save the money and play on my 360.

giganten
Apr 2, 2007, 02:44 PM
I did find a internet store that had Wii in stock today. I hope they will send it to me tomorrow and I hope my bad luck is over now. :D

-M7-
Apr 2, 2007, 04:36 PM
What's making the Wii fun?

For me it's the fact that it is the first console that my Girlfriend has fun with. That alone is priceless, even if it means playing Wii Sports for the rest of the consoles life.

Did I mention that the Wii greatly improves your sex life?
(results may vary :p )

giganten
Apr 5, 2007, 05:11 AM
Hurray! They did send the Wii to me today. Now I just have to wait to get it here. I did order Zelda: Twilight Princess, Excite Truck and 2000 points to download VC games.