Sky Blue
Mar 29, 2007, 05:51 PM
Teaser is up:

http://www.rockstargames.com/IV/index2.html

Liberty City

http://media.teamxbox.com/games/ss/1482/1175204553.jpg

takao
Mar 29, 2007, 06:04 PM
was expecting more with their "things will be different" teasing ... the setting is essentially the same again

but the graphics are quite good for an open + big world

and this time you are a russian (remember the sausage factory mission in gta2 ?)... which means next GTA you are asian

well i guess we can be happy they didn't place it in the 1940 , fighting against nazis terrorist zombies together with car-pimping aliens who just happen to look like hot girls with a hatred for clothing

sikkinixx
Mar 29, 2007, 06:06 PM
I'm a little disappointed actually. The character model looks quite poor, but the car looked sweet.

Daveway
Mar 29, 2007, 06:08 PM
It'll be awesome no doubt, but I was hoping for more than a minute of footage.

steamboat26
Mar 29, 2007, 06:13 PM
I thought it looked pretty good, GTA has never looked amazing next to other games. San Andreas looked a lot better than Vice City, but still worse than many other games released that year.

Dagless
Mar 29, 2007, 06:19 PM
Looks very nice, no doubt it will play well too. Only beef - PLEASE do a bug fix this time.

Sky Blue
Mar 29, 2007, 06:54 PM
PLEASE do a bug fix this time.

once again they've given a release date way ahead of time...I know people get pissed off by developers pushing games back, but I'd rather see a late good game, than an ontime buggy one.

ejsavage
Mar 29, 2007, 07:09 PM
So we return to Liberty city, I can not wait. The Teaser just made me want more:D

MP4-22
Mar 29, 2007, 07:48 PM
I was kind of hoping for a new location like a Chicago/St. Louis/Detriot state, but I guess Liberty City is good enough.

I wonder if it will just be Liberty City or if they will add some more big cities.

sb58
Mar 29, 2007, 07:54 PM
this will probably be my first GTA :D i can't wait.
but that character model looks shoddy at best.

jcarm24
Mar 29, 2007, 08:29 PM
I'm gonna take a guess that the main character is leaving Liberty City for NYC. I know liberty city was based on NYC in previous games, but i don't remember things like the Empire State building and the Statue of Liberty being in there.

Just a guess...

Sky Blue
Mar 29, 2007, 08:41 PM
I'm gonna take a guess that the main character is leaving Liberty City for NYC. I know liberty city was based on NYC in previous games, but i don't remember things like the Empire State building and the Statue of Liberty being in there.

Just a guess...

The city shown in the trailer is Liberty City.

epicwelshman
Mar 29, 2007, 08:57 PM
I don't care if the character models aren't up to par with Gears of War, Oblivion, Resistance, whatever. Hell, I don't care if they don't change a single feature of the game. The core premise of GTA is so much fun that doing it in a bigger, brighter, prettier city is all that matters to me. Just bring it on, I can't wait.

jcarm24
Mar 29, 2007, 09:32 PM
The city shown in the trailer is Liberty City.

Yes, Liberty City was certainly shown. But like in GTA SA, there were multiple cities used, and based on this trailer and the major NYC landmarks, i think NYC is a definite possiblity for gameplay.

pcypert
Mar 30, 2007, 03:16 AM
Seemed simply like he was coming to a new city for redemption but will be pulled down into the mire again. Actually was pretty dissapointed with the trailer...just showed lighting effects and buildings and a Russian guy. I want to see new ways of snatching cars, jumps, weapons, etc...Pretty lame 45 sec teaser (so much of the "minute" wasn't even trailer footage)

Paul

mosx
Mar 30, 2007, 04:10 AM
Yes, Liberty City was certainly shown. But like in GTA SA, there were multiple cities used, and based on this trailer and the major NYC landmarks, i think NYC is a definite possiblity for gameplay.

Liberty City IS NYC. Liberty City has always been a mockup of NYC. There could be a number of reasons the landmarks didn't appear in GTA3/LCS... most likely due to engine and hardware limitations. But now Rockstar has the hardware power to make an accurate representation of the entire NYC area.

And check out the video. Numerous things, including signs in "Time Square" and other areas say "Liberty City" and every police car in the video says "LCPD".

So even though it is NYC, the game still calls it Liberty City.

I just wonder if it is safe to assume that we'll be making another trip to Vice City and San Andreas in the future? :D Being from SoCal, I'd love to see LA and the desert with these updated graphics

Seemed simply like he was coming to a new city for redemption but will be pulled down into the mire again. Actually was pretty dissapointed with the trailer...just showed lighting effects and buildings and a Russian guy. I want to see new ways of snatching cars, jumps, weapons, etc...Pretty lame 45 sec teaser (so much of the "minute" wasn't even trailer footage)

It's pretty much in line with every other trailer for every other GTA game. Infact, I'm sure the game is still being coded and it's not even to the point where they could show "Gameplay", even though this was all taken from real-time footage. If its anything like the other GTA trailers, we'll see another trailer released sometime towards the middle or end of summer that shows some actual "gameplay" and then another before the game is released.

2nyRiggz
Mar 30, 2007, 04:50 AM
I'm impressed from what I've seen so far and no matter what its money in the bank.
I was hoping the city would take us to utah or someing.....GTA:Utah
I think I see my apartment building in that clip.

Bless

Dagless
Mar 30, 2007, 05:36 AM
I just wonder if it is safe to assume that we'll be making another trip to Vice City and San Andreas in the future? :D Being from SoCal, I'd love to see LA and the desert with these updated graphics

I'm hoping for a really different new game, 4.1 or whatever it'll be called. Stick us in Tokyo, London, Rio de Janeiro.

I hope they do another retro 70's or 80's one again. Bloody love the soundtrack in Vice City!

EM87
Mar 30, 2007, 05:47 AM
I'm not sure about GTA this time, GTA3 and Vice City where great but I was really disappointed in San Andreas. It just did not have that great feel like VC and 3 did, I just could not ever get into it like I did the other two.

BoyBach
Mar 30, 2007, 05:59 AM
I'm hoping for a really different new game, 4.1 or whatever it'll be called. Stick us in Tokyo, London, Rio de Janeiro.

I hope they do another retro 70's or 80's one again. Bloody love the soundtrack in Vice City!

They should go back to 1960's London.

It's ripe for a remake.

mfacey
Mar 30, 2007, 06:39 AM
What platform will this be coming out on? Xbox 360, PS3 and PC?

Sky Blue
Mar 30, 2007, 06:42 AM

huh? Liberty city is NYC in the GTA universe. A sugn reading LIBERTEEN, adverts for Liberty ree and the boat says Liberty City on the back. The power of the new systems lets them add some landmarks that werent in older games. The times square area was in the PS2 games.

whooleytoo
Mar 30, 2007, 06:45 AM
Stick us in Tokyo, London, Rio de Janeiro.

Yeah, I too was hoping they'd go international at some point. They've already featured the most distinctive (IMO) US cities - New York, Miami, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Las Vegas.

Any of those you mentioned (and you could include others, Montreal, Paris, Rome, Moscow, Sydney - with extra traffic craziness in Rome of course!) would be superb. You might have to include flight travel between cities to fit them all in. Or perhaps have some kind of 'border control' as you drive between cities.;)

EM87
Mar 30, 2007, 06:45 AM
What platform will this be coming out on? Xbox 360, PS3 and PC?

I believe that it is only on PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360.

I'd like to see a GTA based on Sydney, I think that it would be a great city to do a game one.

whooleytoo
Mar 30, 2007, 06:56 AM
I'm a little disappointed actually. The character model looks quite poor, but the car looked sweet.

I'd agree. They (to me - don't kill the opinionator!) look just like PS2/Xbox models in HD.

To me it doesn't (yet) look nearly as good as Saints Row - though SR doesn't have the ambience, immersiveness and sense of humour that the GTA games do.

whooleytoo
Mar 30, 2007, 06:58 AM
Actually, the more I think about it, I'd love to play in Tokyo or Shanghai. Playing as Yakuza or Triad would breathe some life back into the series.

Tom B.
Mar 30, 2007, 09:37 AM
Ooh, I can't wait for this! :D Maybe even more than i can't wait for Metroid Prime: Corruption, Super Mario Galaxy or Super Smash Bros. Brawl.! :eek:
I think i'll have to go and dig out my PSP just so i can play some more of Vice City Stories.

takao
Mar 30, 2007, 12:16 PM
Actually, the more I think about it, I'd love to play in Tokyo or Shanghai. Playing as Yakuza or Triad would breathe some life back into the series.

weren't there yakuza missions in gta 2 ?

that said i think rio and moscow should be very obvious guesses for the future
rio ranging from beach to the slums in the hills, moscow with the winter and "we stop for nobody" militias

of paris with it's circle city highway with all it's tunnels and insane drivers

Sky Blue
Mar 30, 2007, 03:20 PM
GTA outside of the US just wouldn't work (yes, i played the London expansion). The thing that holds every GTA game together so well is the whole piss take of America culture.

Winterfell
Apr 3, 2007, 11:46 PM
Does anyone think they'll ever release GTA for the Mac? When at home I spend a lot of time playing WoW and GTA: San Andreas. But it would be nice to have a Mac version without having to dual-boot, virtualize, or emulate.

EvilDoc
Apr 4, 2007, 03:34 AM
Does anyone think they'll ever release GTA for the Mac? When at home I spend a lot of time playing WoW and GTA: San Andreas. But it would be nice to have a Mac version without having to dual-boot, virtualize, or emulate.

im gonna go out on a limb..... and say no. But if it does iam willing to bet GTA 7 is out ;)

Tehy
Apr 4, 2007, 05:10 AM
the video looks really great! Nice to see that they finally updated the graphic engine.

Markleshark
Apr 4, 2007, 06:59 AM
I downloaded the teaser/trailer thing from XBL the other day and I was disappointed. It didn't even get me excited for more, all I could think about was how bad the trailer was. Oh Well.

BRUUUCE
Apr 4, 2007, 09:37 AM
"getalife"
hahahahhaa

Chone
Apr 4, 2007, 09:12 PM
Yeah I thought the teaser was anti-climatic, bad teaser but I know the final game will at least be decent so no worries there, hopefully the engine will be polished so it runs at a steady rate and bugs are ironed out.

Those are not good graphics for this gen by the way, good by comparison to San Andreas but crummy in comparison to modern games, still, as long as the graphics are clean and smooth and the framerate is steady then all is good.

Dagless
Apr 4, 2007, 09:31 PM
I can't imagine the graphics being "real" (although they do look mighty fine to me) seeing as, you know, they're rendering a living city.

Sky Blue
Apr 4, 2007, 09:38 PM
Those are not good graphics for this gen by the way.

huh??