Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BoyBach

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 24, 2006
Durex has launched its first UK recruitment drive for thousands of condom testers.
The condom maker wants a panel of 5,000 people who are single, married, or in couples to report their experiences of using its condoms and lubricants.

Men and women of all ages, ethnic groups or sexual orientation have been asked to apply on its website.

Durex was inundated with 14,000 applicants on the first day it started a similar scheme in France.

'Massive panel'

UK panellists will be expected to report online on how enjoyable the condoms and lubricants were to use and whether their sex lives have improved.

"The idea is to create a massive panel of testers who can try Durex condoms, have sex and then give us feedback about their experiences - in strictest confidence, of course," a Durex spokeswoman said.

"It isn't some crazy kind of '60s love-in," she added.

Durex sales in the six months until September 2006 increased by 7% compared to the same period in the previous year, driven by a surge in sales of personal devices and lubricants.

- BBC

Well, since it is for the benefit of mankind:

"Once more unto the breach, dear friends..." and all that!

;)

Teh Don Ditty

macrumors G4
Jan 15, 2007
Maryland
And this isn't in america why?!

You answered your own question.

You and I both know why it's not over here.

"You know that America was founded by a bunch of prudes right? They came over here to escape all the kinky sex that was going on" - Name the movie, win a beer!

Anyways, that's a pretty cool research project. For the testers that is.

mattscott306

macrumors 68040
Jan 16, 2007
You answered your own question.

You and I both know why it's not over here.

"You know that America was founded by a bunch of prudes right? They came over here to escape all the kinky sex that was going on" - Name the movie, win a beer!

Anyways, that's a pretty cool research project. For the testers that is.

Great movie, I couldn't find it at blockbuster when I wanted to watch it, so I just ordered it of ebay this past week.

iAlan

macrumors 65816
Dec 11, 2002
- BBC [SNIP]"The idea is to create a massive panel of testers who can try Durex condoms, have sex and then give us feedback about their experiences"[/SNIP]

[NOTE] All puns intended [/NOTE]

A few questions and observations...

Is this is one of those surveys you can take lying down?

What is the sample size?

If I am not satisfied can I get a refund?

I dont know if this is one of those surveys you would want to come in second?

How many times can you enter?

Will the survey identify the top and bottom participants?

I would be happy to be in the middle.

Are false starts included in the survey?

If you cheat will you be ejected from the survey?

Will the survey be a team event (ie: Amazing Race), for individual participants (ie: Fear Factor) or based on endurance (ie: a Marathon)?

Can I repeat the survey if i think I can do better a second time?

Is there a time limit?

I could go on but will leave it there for now...

Edit - my spelling was worse than my results in the survey

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
I don't really understand this test. To me, all condoms are pretty much the same. If they work and prevent pregnancies or STDs, then they're fine. Otherwise, they're not. I don't know if "ribbed" is better for women than "regular", but to me, there's no difference between condoms.

If I have a defective product, can send it in and get a refund? Oh, and how about child support payments for the next 22 years.

jimN

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2005
London
I don't really understand this test. To me, all condoms are pretty much the same. If they work and prevent pregnancies or STDs, then they're fine. Otherwise, they're not. I don't know if "ribbed" is better for women than "regular", but to me, there's no difference between condoms.

If I have a defective product, can send it in and get a refund? Oh, and how about child support payments for the next 22 years.

If you think all condoms are the same then you probably haven't used many different brands/varieties - there are obvious differences. And if the condom fails (and the failure rate is pretty low if used correctly, they have a pretty good PI score) then a responsible person would take further precaution, not start drafting a law suit.

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
Something tells me this is just a rather clever publicity stunt, but I do have one question. Are they going to post videos of the testing on their website? I think transparency of the methods are important here ;)

dops7107

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2005
Perth, Oztrailya

You need to try Durex Avanti! Another world, much more sensitive. I find latex condoms really dull the feeling, but Avanti (polyurethane) are much better :eek:

PS I signed up...

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
I think they all dull the feeling approximately the same amount.

The ones that smell like fruit don't do it for me at all. Actually, banana flavour smells like poo, so imagine having sex and smelling poo the entire time.

If you think all condoms are the same then you probably haven't used many different brands/varieties - there are obvious differences.

The only one that's really different for me is the one that vibrates. That made me and my girlfriend start laughing hysterically when we tried it our one and only time. :p

But I think you're right in some ways, because I've never used a thin condom. I never saw the point. To me, it gives the impression of being less effective at everything it was meant to prevent, so I never bothered.

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?

Reminds me of a condom dispensing machine I saw in one of the bathrooms at my university. Near the coin slot ("Insert coins for product") some wag had scrawled some graffiti: "Insert baby for refund"!

belovedmonster

macrumors regular
May 11, 2005
I signed my female friend up to this. I hope she gets on the scheme so she can be inundated with ribbed flavoured condoms she never asked for :D

L

Lau

"Massive panel". :D

Anyone else having trouble with the site? I tried last night and tonight and when I submit the questionnaire I get an error message, which is a bit annoying. I assumed the site's being pounded (;)) with traffic, but still annoying.

EGT

macrumors 68000
Sep 4, 2003
Please... no snipping in the condom thread! :eek:

I couldn't help but notice this ad at the bottom of the page! :p

snipio8.jpg

:eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.