PDA

View Full Version : kast Launcher 1.2 beta

cspace
Jun 11, 2003, 08:25 AM
kast Launcher is an OS X front end for the new kast p2p software, which features efficient use of bandwidth and digital signatures.

http://konspire.sourceforge.net

With kast, you can...

1. subscribe to channels that match your interests

2. go to bed

3. wake up in the morning to the files that have arrived on your subscribed channels

4. feel certain that the files are legit, thanks to konspire2b's heavy-duty, automatic, digital signatures

5. unsubscribe from channels that disappoint you

6. build trust for a channel owner's tastes over time (owners are completely responsible for what goes out on their channels)

7. spend the time that you used to spend searching doing other less frustrating things (see 8 for a suggestion)

8. start a channel to broadcast your own files

nikfel
Jun 11, 2003, 11:25 AM
IT SOUNDS GREAT I DOWNLOADED IT subscribed to some stuff but how the hell do u download

cspace
Jun 11, 2003, 11:36 AM
Once you've subscribed to a channel, you leave the app running and wait for the channel owners to broadkast stuff, which you then receive.

Stike
Jun 11, 2003, 05:55 PM
What´s the matter with those digital signatures?
Does this smell like spyware or DRM stuff!??!

cspace
Jun 11, 2003, 06:33 PM
it's neither. it's just there to ensure that only the channel owner (or whomever they give the sender's key to) can broadkast on the channel. it's done this way to prevent people from hijacking the channel. it's more like encrypted email than DRM. certainly not spyware.

Huked on Fonick
Jun 14, 2003, 04:02 AM
uhh so someone elce decides what files i want, no thanks...........

bobindashadows
Jun 14, 2003, 11:05 PM
thanks for showing this to me - it's really quite cool. You'd be surprised how closed-minded people are... most don't even know exactly what files they want.

I really like the station/channel system of radios... because really, I can get exposure to all kinds of music that I like without having to know band names, CD names, song titles, or anything, I know what stations give me good music so I can listen to them and hear good music. I know what kinds of music I like, but could I tell you every band I like? No. And can I go search for every song I like? no. This saves me time, and I get good stuff at the same time.