Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

velocitychannel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 11, 2003
New England
While cleaning out some of my old CDs, I came across a couple of CDs I got at MacWorld Boston in 1996. Two of them are a tour of MacOS 8 (the Copland one, not the one that was actually released).

Is this worth anything to a collector? Are they rare?

Like I said, I got them at a live demo of Copland at MacWorld Boston. The demo they gave was horrible. The Finder kept crashing and the had to reboot several times during the demo. :eek:

Here are some screenshots I took of the tour:

Main Menu
Appearence - Platinum
Appearence - Hi-Tech
Tour Menu - Platinum
Tour Menu - Hi-Tech
Multitasking Finder
Open Doc Claris Works
Claris Works - Hi-Tech Theme
Credits at the end of Tour

I was thinking of putting one on eBay or something, just to see what I could get for it.

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
Not sure of the timescale, but the Copland project was pretty buggy, but really started coming together in the last month or so before it (ironically) got canned. It was very usable at that stage, but I guess just not a radical enough rehaul.

One of the coolest things about Copland, IMO, was the animated boot up screen - though I doubt if that features on your CD! I've no idea how much the CD is worth I'm afraid.

Mike.

sparkleytone

macrumors 68020
Oct 28, 2001
Greensboro, NC
really...unless copland was unix based, which doesnt seem to be the case, it was inherently doomed. the new renaissance that apple is experiencing owes alot to OS X's UNIX underpinnings and Apple's ability to leverage that to embrace open source.

velocitychannel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 11, 2003
New England
Originally posted by whooley
Not sure of the timescale, but the Copland project was pretty buggy, but really started coming together in the last month or so before it (ironically) got canned. It was very usable at that stage, but I guess just not a radical enough rehaul.

One of the coolest things about Copland, IMO, was the animated boot up screen - though I doubt if that features on your CD! I've no idea how much the CD is worth I'm afraid.

Mike.

If I remember correctly, one of the main problems with Copland was that backwards compatibility was bogging it down. All the "modern" features were really only available to the Finder and 3rd party apps would have to be rewritten to take advantage of them.

The good thing about Copland is what it contributed to MacOS 8.X and OS 9. Which bought Apple some time until they were able to find a better solution for their lack of a modern OS.

I wonder what the ever did with NuKernel? I know Ellen Hitchcock (was that her name?) wanted to use NuKernel in place of Mach, but lost that battle. Hmmm. Good stuff.

And no, no animated boot screen. In fact, I never remember seeing that in the live demo. How did you see it? Did you work at Apple? As far as I know, developers never got a beta of it.

velocitychannel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 11, 2003
New England
Originally posted by sparkleytone
really...unless copland was unix based, which doesnt seem to be the case, it was inherently doomed. the new renaissance that apple is experiencing owes alot to OS X's UNIX underpinnings and Apple's ability to leverage that to embrace open source.

I agree that Apple made a good move in going the UNIX route, but Copland never materialized because of poor management who let the project turn into a bloated pig, not really because it wasn't UNIX based. NuKernel, however, was supposed to be a really good foundation, although I can't verify that from personal experience.

pyrotoaster

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2002
Oak Park, IL
Originally posted by velocitychannel
I wonder what the ever did with NuKernel? I know Ellen Hitchcock (was that her name?) wanted to use NuKernel in place of Mach, but lost that battle. Hmmm. Good stuff.
If I'm remembering correctly, Ellen Hitchcock (I think that was her name) was actually the one canned Copland. When Steve returned to power, he canned her.

Honestly, Copland needed to die. By the time it was finally ended, it was getting old. The good that came out of it was the extra time it bought Apple so OS X could be developed.

AppleMatt

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2003
UK
You should, they will interest quite a few Mac zealots.

eBay US or eBay UK?

AppleMatt

velocitychannel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 11, 2003
New England
Originally posted by pyrotoaster
If I'm remembering correctly, Ellen Hitchcock (I think that was her name) was actually the one canned Copland. When Steve returned to power, he canned her.

Honestly, Copland needed to die. By the time it was finally ended, it was getting old. The good that came out of it was the extra time it bought Apple so OS X could be developed.

I agree. But you have to admit that Copland is one of those Apple curiosities like Star Trek and Pink.

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
Hey,

You've been able to have an animated Boot Screen from OS 7.5 thru 9.2.2. I've did it once by placing a file called "StartupMovie" in the System Folder. I don't remember all the details, but I do know you can do it. BTW, It would have been nice to see some of Copland's features more rediabily usable with in the Later forms of Classic

TEG

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
If I remember correctly, one of the main problems with Copland was that backwards compatibility was bogging it down. All the "modern" features were really only available to the Finder and 3rd party apps would have to be rewritten to take advantage of them.

True, though most code needed to be at least partially re-written for OSX too. (Quark Xpress anyone? :) )

And no, no animated boot screen. In fact, I never remember seeing that in the live demo. How did you see it? Did you work at Apple? As far as I know, developers never got a beta of it.

<cough>... I used to work for a certain fruity company..

It was very nice, initially a white screen, smoothly dissolving into 4 "big pixels", which each in turn dissolved into 4 more, and so on until the image became sharper and you could see the blue MacOS smiley face. Ok, it looks better than it sounds!!

Mike.

velocitychannel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 11, 2003
New England
Originally posted by TEG
Hey,

You've been able to have an animated Boot Screen from OS 7.5 thru 9.2.2. I've did it once by placing a file called "StartupMovie" in the System Folder. I don't remember all the details, but I do know you can do it. BTW, It would have been nice to see some of Copland's features more rediabily usable with in the Later forms of Classic

TEG

Many of Copland's features were put into 7.6 and up, although some were implemented in other ways. I'm not sure of all of Copland's features, but the Finder as we know it in 9.2.2 is almost feature matched with Copland, from what I know. Which ain't much! ;)

sparkleytone

macrumors 68020
Oct 28, 2001
Greensboro, NC
I agree that Apple made a good move in going the UNIX route, but Copland never materialized because of poor management who let the project turn into a bloated pig, not really because it wasn't UNIX based. NuKernel, however, was supposed to be a really good foundation, although I can't verify that from personal experience.

what i mean is, even if it HAD materialized I don't think it would have been as successful or even anywhere near as successful as OS X has been. Apple needed a *NIX based OS, and they got it at just the right time IMHO.

velocitychannel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 11, 2003
New England
True, though most code needed to be at least partially re-written for OSX too. (Quark Xpress anyone? :) )

Haha. This is true.

<cough>... I used to work for a certain fruity company..

It was very nice, initially a white screen, smoothly dissolving into 4 "big pixels", which each in turn dissolved into 4 more, and so on until the image became sharper and you could see the blue MacOS smiley face. Ok, it looks better than it sounds!!

Mike.

Now that sounds pretty cool. But probably contributed to Copland's bloatiness (is that a word?)

velocitychannel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 11, 2003
New England
Originally posted by sparkleytone
what i mean is, even if it HAD materialized I don't think it would have been as successful or even anywhere near as successful as OS X has been. Apple needed a *NIX based OS, and they got it at just the right time IMHO.

Okay, I gotcha. I think you're right. Having a UNIX foundation has helped OSX in bringing in new users and a ton of new apps, etc.

funkywhat2

macrumors 6502a
Jul 14, 2002

Mike.

Like the "Hello" fade in on the Jaguar Betas?

I wish they had kept that. It looked really nice and friendly. It made you smile.

By the way, I know what you're talking about. I've actually seen a movie of it, if I can remeber correctly, but it was just a mock up.

000111one111000

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2001
DeKalb, IL
If Copland wasn't UNIX based, then why does it list UNIX in the credits?

Not saying Copland WAS UNIX based, just wondering why it was in the credits.

enoch

AngryAngel

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2003
Those credits mentioned MS-DOS too.

It's usual to credit any trademarks mentioned- so they must have mentioned MS-DOS, Windows, UNIX, etc. at some point in the demo.

AppleMatt

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2003
UK
Cheeky request

As you're auctioning them on eBay US (and I'm in UK), I don't suppose you'd be willing to compress the files on the CD and stick them up/email them somewhere?

I'd really like to see what was on here.

AppleMatt

Lollypop

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2004
Johannesburg, South Africa
Just wikipedia'd NuKernel, apparenlty it was based on mach 3.0 aka Unix... interesting. I wouldnt mind a animated startup on OS X... speaking of, where has the apple MacOs Smiley gone??

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
Lollypop said:
Just wikipedia'd NuKernel, apparenlty it was based on mach 3.0 aka Unix... interesting. I wouldnt mind a animated startup on OS X... speaking of, where has the apple MacOs Smiley gone??

One of the MacOS 8 (Tempo, I think) had a smiling Mac that winked at you while booting up. Unfortunately, it was removed as they thought it might be offensive in some cultures. It does go to show though the lengths Apple goes to (or at least, used to go to) in the QA!

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois
rainman::|:| said:
Ellen Hancock, actually. I used to know her.

*picks up name i just dropped and sits down*

:D
pnw

My mom befriended Ellen Hancock when she was a higher-level employee at Exodus Communications. Yikes, theres another blast from the past.

To the OP: your picture links don't work but I'd really like to see them!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.