Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

speakerwizard

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 8, 2006
London
Hi, having an issue with an app and the developer wants me to send my system profile (as spx) and terminal results of ps auxww and kextstat, all i want to know is there info in there that i should not be showing ? would this increase my security risks? thanks to those with more knowledge than myself

Cromulent

macrumors 604
Oct 2, 2006
The Land of Hope and Glory
Hi, having an issue with an app and the developer wants me to send my system profile (as spx) and terminal results of ps auxww and kextstat, all i want to know is there info in there that i should not be showing ? would this increase my security risks? thanks to those with more knowledge than myself

System profile shows your computers hardware and some software configuration.

ps shows what processes you are running (i.e background applications).

kextstat I have no idea about. I assume it has something to do with the kernel or kernel extensions.

I wouldn't be too concerned with giving that information out. If you are ultra paranoid edit the picture in Photoshop / Gimpshop and then blank out your user name on the command line.

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK

I have sent these things into Apple for bugfixing, so it's a legitimate request. It is also useful information to have as it helps the developer diagnose platform (or model) specific problems.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.