PDA

View Full Version : The European Mac users thread...

MOFS
Jun 11, 2003, 12:07 PM
Ok - here are the rules for this thread:
1. Do not talk about Fight Club...

Oh, wrong thread. OK, basically this thread is sort of a meeting place for all European users of Macs on Mac Rumours, ok? I'll allow anyone who was born in Europe but moved elsewhere (eg the guy with the Liver bird as his avatar), but NOT anyone who moved from elsewhere TO Europe. I have ways of telling, involving a fiendishly difficult quiz, that only someone from Europe would know, geddit? So introduce yourself, tell us why you got a Mac in the first place (since we all know Apple's impressive heh heh track record in advertising in Europe and introducing new services:p ).

Here goes...

I'm Mike, a medical student studying in Newcastle-Upon-Tyne, UK. I currently own an iBook, my first computer. I was first introduced to Macs by a friend of my parents who bought my family a Performa 5200! Great computer, loved it to bit, so thats why I use Macs.

See, that wasn't too hard!;)

Tiauguinho
Jun 11, 2003, 12:43 PM
Im Tiago, from Lisbon, Portugal. I was introduced to macs in 1984 and I currently own a PowerMac G4 DP 1GHz and a Powerbook G4 550Mhz. I love them both and i couldnt live without them.

BTW, we should make a Macrumors European Geekfest! Problem is to arrange a place for us all... Maybe a beach in Portugal, so we could all be geeks while having our feet wet on the ocean! :D

Mr. Anderson
Jun 11, 2003, 12:52 PM
I'll allow anyone who was born in Europe but moved elsewhere (eg the guy with the Liver bird as his avatar), but NOT anyone who moved from elsewhere TO Europe.

Enforcement will be an issue as to the lack of mod powers ;)

But as one who was born in Johannesburg, South Africa can I be the honorary mod?

D :D

Veldek
Jun 11, 2003, 01:31 PM
Hi, I'm Boris from Elmshorn, Germany (near Hamburg). I bought my first mac, an iMac DV SE, three years ago and still use it to write these lines. Of course, I'm waiting to buy a new one...

I switched, because when I made my military service, I got to know someone who told me everything about it and how superior macs are and so on. Well, so I bought one and never looked back.

I studied maths and now work for an insurance company, being responsible for parts of their software working right.

@Tiauguinho: Well, as soon as the Euro Cup is there in 2004, it would be a good occasion, wouldn't it?

Tiauguinho
Jun 11, 2003, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by Veldek

@Tiauguinho: Well, as soon as the Euro Cup is there in 2004, it would be a good occasion, wouldn't it?

It would be an excelent ocasion, so you can see Portugal winning the Euro and make our geekfest, while celebrating with beer! :D

pinks
Jun 11, 2003, 01:51 PM
Evening all...

I'm Al. Live in London, although spiritual home is Edinburgh. Student. Pismo. First Apple was an LCII, then Performa (which both still work despite the monitor flicker).

Europe Geekfest... interesting! Got to be in London, though! ...capital of 'new' Europe.... Or Paris Apple expo thingy!

So, feelings on the Euro then?

- Al

Veldek
Jun 11, 2003, 02:02 PM
@Tiauguinho: Well, you will laugh, but Portugal is one of my favourites for this cup. But I really hope for a final Portugal vs. Germany, of course.
Being in Portugal in summer, watching football and having a beer? Sounds great!

@pinks: Yeah, what about the British people not wanting the Euro? I like the idea very much and am happy to have it.

Angelus
Jun 11, 2003, 02:13 PM
Greetings all.
My names Aidan and i'm a medical student(just finished 1st year) at UCC in Cork,Ireland.
I'm writing this on 667MHZ powerbook G4.Got my mac last august before college started.I had an interest in macs for a while but spent about a year buying magazines and visiting forums like this to suss out the platform. I'm delighted that i switched.
I'm about to buy a digital camera so now my mac will be more integral in my life than before.

Veldek
Jun 11, 2003, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by Angelus
I'm about to buy a digital camera so now my mac will be more integral in my life than before.

I also think about getting a video camera, so I can film interesting occasions and burn them on DVD. Not before I bought the new mac, of course...;)

Angelus
Jun 11, 2003, 02:28 PM
Has anyone here been to Cork or Ireland for that matter? If so what did you think?

Places in Europe i've visited include:
Portugal(Algarve)
Italy(Florence,Venice,Milan)
Wales and England.

Veldek
Jun 11, 2003, 02:33 PM
Never been to Ireland, but know someone who was. Just heard things like "wonderful" and so on. I bet, you love your home.

I've been to Denmark, Netherlands, Czech, Austria, Italy and Hungary, but that's all ages ago, at least if I can trust my memory...

zimv20
Jun 11, 2003, 02:40 PM
hi i was born in the US and still live here and really have no business on this thread but -- i'd like to take the quiz!

Tiauguinho
Jun 11, 2003, 02:57 PM
To Boris: :) Glad to know that you count us as favorites. I surely hope that Figo will be in good health! We gonna need him a lot! As for beer and football... those are a perfect match, but even better if we gather them with Macs, while on a caffee on the beach!

To Angelus: nice to hear that you have been to Algarve. I surely hope that you were able to see the typical and isolated parts of it, cause now, algarve is turning into a place for mass tourism and is loosing its quality. Now its rare to find a cool and isolated beach( if you go there again I recommend you to stay here: http://www.saorafael.com/ It's very calm and isolated and the beach is almost private, its perfect for a relaxed vacations)

Veldek
Jun 11, 2003, 02:57 PM
Although I'm not the one who said there would be a quiz, how about this one? It's quite old, but perhaps it gains a laugh or two.

So, what is wrong on this picture?

http://www.thorsten-hurka.de/images/wasistfalsch.jpg

jelloshotsrule
Jun 11, 2003, 03:08 PM
that's czech republic, not switzerland... eh? ;)

Pandora
Jun 11, 2003, 03:09 PM
hehe

I'm from the Netherlands, but I'm living in Switzerland (damn...I'll leave this country when I will have finished school..at least I hope so..I really don't like Europe..Europe sucks..Japan or Africa..that'd be nice..but Europe..:()

I bought a PowerMac G4 800 Dual with L3 in April 2002..I switched from Windows..thank god I did..just upgraded to 832 MB RAM..now I like my mac even more :)

@Veldek: Well I live in switzerland, but not in the Czech Rep. :)

Veldek
Jun 11, 2003, 03:11 PM
You're right, of course. Isn't it scary, how CNN didn't get this right. And I know another one which is even worse. There was Germany labelled as Iraq, which isn't even near...

Well, I think MOFS' quiz will be much harder.

Pandora
Jun 11, 2003, 03:32 PM
well...CNN..it's one of those stupid (sorry, but that's the way it is..compare CNN to a serious tv station) news tv stations..

damn watch CNN..it just sucks lol..it's more entertainment than news :)

jelloshotsrule
Jun 11, 2003, 03:32 PM
i'm an american..... thusly, i had to check a map to see what was wrong. :)

but, at least i'm resourceful! :)

Veldek
Jun 11, 2003, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by jelloshotsrule
i'm an american..... thusly, i had to check a map to see what was wrong.

That's what makes a quiz real hard for proofing one is from Europe. They can always search the internet to find the answer.
Anyway, I'm going to bed. But I hope this thread will stay.

Pandora
Jun 11, 2003, 03:40 PM
well another quiz then..how are The Netherlands, Belgium and Luxembourg called together?

:D

Mr. Anderson
Jun 11, 2003, 03:43 PM
Benelux

too easy, and I didn't look it up...

Ugg
Jun 11, 2003, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by Pandora
well another quiz then..how are The Netherlands, Belgium and Luxembourg called together?

The BeNeLux countries

shadowfax
Jun 11, 2003, 03:50 PM
oooohhh, Euro Quiz. i want in! (i'm a stinking american, but i should have been born in Denmark... my middle name is åge, last name Lundgård).

caveman_uk
Jun 11, 2003, 03:57 PM
Hi my name's caveman_uk (Steve)...and I'm a mac user...

It's so good talking to other addicts:D Anyway, I live in the UK and I'm a European - even though a lot of my countrymen seem to think we're actually just below Iceland in the mid-Atlantic. I first bought a mac (my ibook 'nomad') 'cos I was looking for a Unix laptop and was initially looking at running Linux on a laptop but as it looked like being hit by a car would be more fun than getting Linux to work 100% on a laptop I looked around and find OSX and Apple. I bought 'nomad' in December. In March it was joined by my 1GHz DP MDD powermac (unimaginatively called 'powermac':( ) and they are both very happy. I am now x86 free:D

OK a question. Capital of Lichtenstein? No cheating!

shadowfax
Jun 11, 2003, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by caveman_uk
OK a question. Capital of Lichtenstein? No cheating! good god! i had to look it up :rolleyes:

i had no idea that country had distinct cities, lol. it's so small!

caveman_uk
Jun 11, 2003, 04:03 PM
It's supposed to be quite nice in a hilly between Switzerland and Austria sort of way....

shadowfax
Jun 11, 2003, 04:05 PM
It's supposed to be quite nice in a hilly between Switzerland and Austria sort of way.... i wonder if it looks much any different than Salzburg. i visited there when i went to Bavaria a few years ago. such gorgeous mountain lakes and cool air... (it was in march)

pinks
Jun 11, 2003, 04:46 PM

Whilst I agree that 'Benelux' is absolutely correct, the answer could equally be 'the Low Countries."

- Al

caveman_uk
Jun 12, 2003, 03:20 AM

OK a question. Capital of Lichtenstein? No cheating!
No takers??? OK it's Vaduz

zimv20
Jun 12, 2003, 03:37 AM
No takers??? OK it's Vaduz

yeah, you gotta ask me something about a country i've been to.

shadowfax
Jun 12, 2003, 03:46 AM
No takers??? OK it's Vaduz yeah, sorry. i have a decent bit of trivial knowledge about general european nations, but not much general knowledge about trivial european nations. mark us off and do another :D

vollspacken
Jun 12, 2003, 04:44 AM
I'm Jan, student of political science, public law and economics... formally at a small college in nortwestern Iowa, now back at my home university in Muenster, GERMANY (muharharhar, not yet, classes do not start until middle of october...).

first mac expirience? my dad (PeeCee user) got an old IIci in about 96/97??? with a bada** Xerox laser printer, photoshop and Xpress... later I convinced him to buy a then brand new G3 266 (that thing is still around at my parents home...) since then, I don't use PeeCees anymore :) (my dad switched back though...)

at x-Mas '99 I got an iMac DV (mmmm, tangerine ;) ) which I sold before I went to college in the US...

I bought the 1ghz superdriven tiBook while in the corn state and graduated at the end of may...

back in Germany and currently I'm after another SE/30 on eBay and hope my parents get me a rev.b B&W G3 for my birthday... we'll see... my best friend's roommate has a newton (don't know which model yet) that he might be willing to sell me... yeaaahhhh!!!

love my tiBook, love my volkswagen van...

vSpacken

Zaid
Jun 12, 2003, 04:48 AM
Originally posted by MOFS
Ok - here are the rules for this thread:
but NOT anyone who moved from elsewhere TO Europe. I have ways of telling, involving a fiendishly difficult quiz, that only someone from Europe would know, geddit?

Ummm whats with this, I was born in South Africa, but live in London, and intend to do so for a long time too :)

So does that mean I can't join the thread??

hvfsl
Jun 12, 2003, 05:03 AM
Well I live in London but plan to move to palo alto, most of my family has moved out there.

orangedv
Jun 12, 2003, 05:37 AM
banning people who weren't born in europe is a bit snidey I think! I see the EU is trying to force VAT onto the rest of the planet via the net, their arrogance defies belief. I hope the net wins that war.

Ok a quiz,... *my suggestions* (To catch out non euros)

How did Germany manage to lose 5 - 1 to England and make the finals?

Why do the spanish eat in the middle of the night?

How can Britian be the worlds 4th largest economy and not afford a national stadium?

Why is the Netherlands not known as Holland officially?

Where do Volvos come from?

Why do French Air traffic control go on strike every summer without fail and still hold onto their jobs?

zimv20
Jun 12, 2003, 05:45 AM
Originally posted by orangedv

no idea.

errrr... because they shut down in the afternoon for a national nap and end up stepping out for the evening around 10 pm?

How can Britian be the worlds 4th largest economy and not afford a national stadium?

what about wembley?

errrr... isn't holland an area within the netherlands?

the volvo factory. in sweden.

Why do French Air traffic control go on strike every summer without fail and still hold onto their jobs?

because the farmers and truckers who would take their jobs are also on strike?

caveman_uk
Jun 12, 2003, 05:53 AM
banning people who weren't born in europe is a bit snidey I think! I see the EU is trying to force VAT onto the rest of the planet via the net, their arrogance defies belief. I hope the net wins that war.

1. God knows. The English played uncharacteristically well that night, the Germans were shocking. I think they came second in the group so got through anyway.
2. Dunno, because they have a nap midday and missed lunch?
3. Because as our '4th largest economy' is based on services not actually making stuff we don't have anyone but accountants around so we don't have anyone to build the damn thing ;) Also 'cos we spent £3 billion bombing Iraq so we can't afford to pay teachers properly let alone build some stadium.
4. The French could ask why the Netherlands is not called 'Le pays bas'. They can call themselves what they like really regardless of what we call them.
5. Easy, Sweden
6. Because the French unions are stronger and if they got sacked they'd burn the airport down.

hvfsl
Jun 12, 2003, 06:09 AM
I bet it is this VAT thing that is causing problems for Apple releasing the iTunes store in Europe. Going on the price differences between Europe and the US I expect iTunes songs to cost 99p (about 1.6Euros) (including taxes) when released in the UK. I wonder if they will try and blame the price on shipping costs as well.

:)

caveman_uk
Jun 12, 2003, 06:23 AM
They have to charge sales tax on US purchases online as well so I can't see VAT being a huge challenge. How can shipping affect anything? There's nothing to ship!

orangedv
Jun 12, 2003, 06:37 AM
hahahaha! Great answers guys.

My questions were of course laced with sarcasm.

Zimv, poor old Wembley is a pile of rubble, they smashed it down before deciding on a replacement.

I think we have to conclude in this age of information technology where knowledge is everywhere that a quiz wont work. This guy is from Chicago and quiet obviously has the French striking mindset tracked like radar lol.

I laughed at the thought of them burning the airport.

I would be amazed if we get itunes songs for 99 pence. In Rip Off Britain expect £1.50 minimum:mad:

hvfsl
Jun 12, 2003, 07:14 AM
They have to charge sales tax on US purchases online as well so I can't see VAT being a huge challenge. How can shipping affect anything? There's nothing to ship!

I was talking about the new EU VAT laws coming at the begining of July that will affect companies selling to EU citizens over net. There is probably a lot of legal work and form filing that needs to be done.

I was joking about the shipping thing, it is just most companies use shipping costs to explain the differences in prices around the world.

MOFS
Jun 12, 2003, 07:15 AM
OK, here it is, what everyone has been waiting for.

Its the Euriovision quiz! Yay! Anyone can enter, and I'll allow Mr Anderson to regulate this thread and perhaps even hand out the prizes! An unlimited supply of posts on this topic!

Hey boys, hey girls, superstar DJs, here we go...

1) Who is Jean Marie Le Pen (apologies for spelling), and what did he almost do last year?

2) What are the three main languages of Switzerland (excluding Romany, or whaever its called).

3) Who won the recent Eurovision song contest, and what did Britain famously do?

4) Who is David Beckham, where doe he ply his trade at the moment, and name 2 of the other cities he is rumoured to be moving two.

5) Which country agreed this week to join the EU?

6) Easy one this one. Apart from iTunes, what two Apple programs have features from them missing that most European users request, and what features are they?

Slightly better than "What is your name? What is your quest? What is your favourite colour?":D Good luck!

orangedv
Jun 12, 2003, 07:34 AM
cool! ok here goes (wish me luck)......

1) Who is Jean Marie Le Pen (apologies for spelling), and what did he almost do last year?

A) A French Nazi. Hey, a thought; If he goes on strike, does he become normal while striking?

2) What are the three main languages of Switzerland (excluding Romany, or whaever its called).

A) Easy. 1. HTML 2. Quantum Mechanics. 3. Double entry book keeping

3) Who won the recent Eurovision song contest, and what did Britain famously do?

A) No idea. We gained no points because of the blatant vote fixing which this time was orchestrated into an anti war vote.

4) Who is David Beckham, where doe he ply his trade at the moment, and name 2 of the other cities he is rumoured to be moving two.

A) David Beckham is a hair model for Toni & Guy, he plies his trade in front of cameras and is rumoured to be going to either Milan (clothes!) or Paris (More clothes!!)

A) California

6) Easy one this one. Apart from iTunes, what two Apple programs have features from them missing that most European users request, and what features are they?

A) dot Mac. and dot Mac. the features missing are value for money, any kind of support and anything that actually works.

caveman_uk
Jun 12, 2003, 07:50 AM

Its the Euriovision quiz! Yay! Anyone can enter, and I'll allow Mr Anderson to regulate this thread and perhaps even hand out the prizes! An unlimited supply of posts on this topic!

Hey boys, hey girls, superstar DJs, here we go...

Slightly better than "What is your name? What is your quest? What is your favourite colour?":D Good luck!
1) Leader of the French National Front - what did he nearly do last year - dunno. Sadly it wasn't drop dead.
2) French, German, and another one
3) Turkey, we got nil points as our entry was tone deaf (although that would initially appear to be an advantage the rules got changed and we weren't told:D )
4) He's a man who can kick a football well and is paid millions for doing so. He also gets millions because the ones he gets from actually kicking the damn ball would be lonely if he didn't have more. He has an annoying, talentless wife and an only slightly less annoying football manager. He plays for the mancs though will be going somewhere soon where his wife won't have to spend his cash on fake tan cream.
5) Poland. This week our Tone and his master decided we wouldn't actually become a fully commited member of the EU. They decided to wait until our currency was really worthless against the Euro before they'd give in and join.
6) iPhoto - I want an album damn it!!! and Sherlock - I want it to do something vaguely useful. I don't need movie times in Atlanta. I want to know whats on at Cineworld and when the beer festivals on. :rolleyes:

Your quite right though .mac could do with a value for money injection....

hvfsl
Jun 12, 2003, 07:56 AM

1. He is a neo facist (not nazi) who was in the french elections running for president.

2. Italian, French and German (I was there over Easter)

3. Turkey and UK got no points for first time in history. The no UK votes was a mixture of very bad singers and the war.

4. Beckham (everyone not in the US should know this) plays football (soccer) for Man Utd and England and is rumoured to be moving to (Real) Madrid, Bacalona or (AC) Milian.

5. Dont have a clue, I am guessing Sweden or Poland.

6. The ability to order photo albums of photos in iPhoto and the extra functions in Sherlock. By the way Windows users also have the same problems about functions only avaliable in the US.

MOFS
Jun 12, 2003, 10:38 AM
cool! ok here goes (wish me luck)......

A) A French Nazi. Hey, a thought; If he goes on strike, does he become normal while striking?

A) Easy. 1. HTML 2. Quantum Mechanics. 3. Double entry book keeping

A) No idea. We gained no points because of the blatant vote fixing which this time was orchestrated into an anti war vote.

A) David Beckham is a hair model for Toni & Guy, he plies his trade in front of cameras and is rumoured to be going to either Milan (clothes!) or Paris (More clothes!!)

A) California

A) dot Mac. and dot Mac. the features missing are value for money, any kind of support and anything that actually works.

You're in! Your total lack of knowledge definitely proves that you're from good ol' Brittania!

I should have put in this question too...

7) Where do you live (including region and nearest big city or capital)? Eg my answer would be Liverpool, Merseyside, UK. I know Valduz and, say Luxembourg City (I have seen some Luxembourgians (Luxembourguoises?)) on Mac rumours before so you guys and galls from small countries can just say "Luxembourg City, Luxembourg" for example (apologies for my lack of geographical knowledge re small European states).

Furthermore, this is not supposed to be a racist thread, ok? It is just a European equivalent of the various religous and US states threads that crop up once in a while. While not saying anyone has slagged of Americans or any other nationality (or will), I have seen how other pseudo-segregrationalist sites have run out of control so no yank bashing. OK OK - George W Bush is exempt from this immunity:D . Nah, anyone can participate, but my main reason for this thread was seeing a European perspective to the Mac world.

If you so wish to, Mr Anderson, you may regulate this site - you can be an honourary European for a day! You can also donate the prizes for getting the quiz right - um - a cow coloured iMac (limited edition - what?It had BSE and then foot and mouth disease?).

Also anyone who counts themself European (ie someone who was born elsewhere but has now lived in Europe for so long to count themself as having European mannerisms (whatever they are) and Europeans who live outside Europe but still count themself as having European mannerisms) are allowed on this thread (this will be cleared up in the next EU document:) ).

Phew! Anyway carry on your nice discussions...

PS: no, you are not really allowed thread (hey, I can't really stop you) even if you just have a European sounding name (heres looking at you Shadowfax). Just about everyone who posts on Mac Rumours has a European sounding name due to the incasion of the Americas by the French, English, Portugese and Spanish conquistadors.

dstorey
Jun 12, 2003, 10:51 AM
Ok. what is the area called that used to strech north of the humber in england to edinburgh in britain (before it was britain) but was split up because it was too powerful and a threat to england itself. A hint is that its former king had endinburgh named after him (edin's stronghold), the police in one of the regions there take it's name and the name of one of the regions and its national park have a very similar name. Oh and it has its own flag used by previous said region that is the oldest known flag in britain and first recorded by Bede.

Veldek
Jun 12, 2003, 10:54 AM
Hey, I'm back and also thought about some questions. Here they are:

1) What's the emblem of Kobenhavn?

2) What's the country called, that lies between France and Spain?

3) How many bills do you need at least to pay exactly 1.885 EUR?

4) Who was called "le roi du soleil"?

5) Which European country is not in Europe for the biggest part?

6) In which country is the "Home Grand Prix" of Ferrari in the Formula 1?

7) Which country does Cyprus belong to?

8) Where did the "Grand Prix Eurovision de la Chanson" take place this year? (Also wanted to ask who the winner was, but we already had that)

9) The winners of which Cup proceed to the UEFA Cup and how many winners are there?

10) What's Nice?

dstorey
Jun 12, 2003, 11:00 AM

1) He's the leader of the French National Front that won the first round of voting in the last french election because hardly anyone voted and shook everyone into voting in the next round.

2) Fench in the west, German in most of the country and Italian near the italian border. I used to live in the french part.

3) who knows who won it but some belly dancers from turkey. We (britain) got nil points not cause we were the worst (though we wernt good) but cause we are too close to the united states and europe hates us. I mean we gave 12 points to eire and they didnt even give us one...and what about malta...old chums...??

4) Beckham is a footballer that thinks he is a world superstar but infact he got beckham who? when he visited the states...he plays for a team known as ManUre for the moment at least. two cities are milan or barcelona but donrt be suprised at rome ort madrid either, also valencia.

5) not sure...poland or czech republic....not england thats for sure ;)

6) ummm iPhoto...ordering books and sherlock...about every feature isnt localised

how did i do?

MOFS
Jun 12, 2003, 11:16 AM

8) Where did the "Grand Prix Eurovision de la Chanson" take place this year? (Also wanted to ask who the winner was, but we already had that)

9) The winners of which Cup proceed to the UEFA Cup and how many winners are there?

10) What's Nice?

Crikey! My threads turning into a quiz zone! OK - here goes...

1) Kobenhavn = Copenhagen. The Little Mermaid? The larger red rectangular flag with a white cross on it?

2) Andorra - I thought it a principality but anyway...

3) Is that one thousand eight hundred and eighty five euros. I'm guessing at 13 notes, but it may be 22 notes (I seem to remeber there being a 1000 euro note).

4)The king of sun? Chirac? De Gaulles? Charlemagne? One of the Louis'?

5) Russia?

6) Monza

7) Which part:D . Greece or Turkey

8) Estonia

9) Intertoto Cup - 4?

10) A city in France

MOFS
Jun 12, 2003, 11:21 AM

1) They beat Ukraine in a playoff after finishing second in their group.

2) They like their noches (sic nachos)!

3) Because they want it to be in London and its going to cost therefore £200million more than if it were to be built in, say, Birmingham:mad: .

4) Hollands a region in the Netherlands. And because the Dutch say so:D .

5) Sveden.

6) EU labour laws? - they're officially striking (ie via their unions) so can't be sacked.

C'mon people, more confessions, fewer quizzes.

Ummm whats with this, I was born in South Africa, but live in London, and intend to do so for a long time too

Yeh, you can post, and anyone else in a similar position...
Well I live in London but plan to move to palo alto, most of my family has moved out there.

As can anyone in your position. My other post has some...reworking on the rules.

See, we're one big happy family:rolleyes:

dstorey
Jun 12, 2003, 11:31 AM

10) What's Nice?

1) no idea

2) is it the principality of Andora?

3) bills? you mean notes? none i think, they are all coins as far as i know that low, though i've only been in euro zone once since the release of the euro..but i;'m excempt being british.

4) no eye deer

5) russia

6) Italy

7) its two, Greece and Turkey but one if you either talk to a greek or a turk ;)

8) still no eye deer

9) the two bob cup (intertoto) and there are two finals (yeah thats bizar( so its 4 though you can win any number of cups to qualify from the fa cup and worthless (worthington) cup in eng to the kings cup in spain etc.

10) its a buscuit with suger on it and a town in provence cote d'azure near monaco, cannes and st tropez

Veldek
Jun 12, 2003, 11:33 AM
Hey, MOFS you only got 4 points. But I have to leave one question out as I made a mistake. You're right with Russia, although I thought of Turkey, which would be right too, but this makes the question unfair a little. So 4 out of 9, well, think again!

cc bcc
Jun 12, 2003, 11:35 AM

Mermaid?

Andorra

Uhmmm yes 4 x 500 euro bills, I'll get back a 100, a 10 and a 5 euro bill so that makes it 4-3=1 bills
I still can't get used to the euro. I only pay with bills and all the coins end up in a jar (with weighs a ton by now)

Napoleon 14th

Denmark. (Greenland is not in Europe)
Turkey (largest part is in Asia)
Russia
perhaps France (French Guyana, I'm not sure which is bigger)

Italy?

Turkey and Greece

I hate the Eurovision Songfestival.

I hate the EUFA Cup.

10) What's Nice?

City in nothern France

edit: Massive calculation error..

Veldek
Jun 12, 2003, 11:36 AM
@dstorey: 3 out of 9, not good enough...;)

Pandora
Jun 12, 2003, 11:36 AM
Isn't it Denmark? I mean..ever seen Greenland?..Greenland belongs to Denmark as far as I know..

Uhm...where is the only European Jungle located? :) /edit:ah man somebody already gave the answer..grmbl :D

Does somebody know which one is bigger..Vatican City or Monaco? ..they are the two smallest countries of Europe I think ( the vatican ownz all :))

Veldek
Jun 12, 2003, 11:37 AM
@cc bcc: also 4 out of 9

Veldek
Jun 12, 2003, 11:38 AM
@all: I got something wrong with the fifth question, so forget about it.

cc bcc
Jun 12, 2003, 11:39 AM
@cc bcc: also 4 out of 9

I think I have about 7 questions right. Which were wrong do you think?

Veldek
Jun 12, 2003, 11:40 AM
I tell you which are right:

1, 2, 7 and 10.

cc bcc
Jun 12, 2003, 11:44 AM
I tell you which are right:

1, 2, 7 and 10.

I think my answer for question 8 should be universally correct.

dstorey
Jun 12, 2003, 11:46 AM
hey i got at least 6

andora, russia, greece & turkey, italy, internoto, nice in south france

Veldek
Jun 12, 2003, 11:47 AM
You're somehow right but I cannot count it as you used the word "I" and so it's not universal anymore :p

Veldek
Jun 12, 2003, 11:48 AM
@dstorey: Italy and the number of winners are wrong. (And I don't count russia anymore...)

dstorey
Jun 12, 2003, 11:54 AM
but monza is the home grand prix of ferrari and thats in italy? but russia is still correct even if your question was wrong.... and there are more, and year that was a typo, i said there were 2 finals so two winners, when i typed 4 meaning four finalists...doh..but you said win cup to qualify for the uefa so it could be many cups cause of the fa cup winners etc...anyone know how many is the real number if you include all the cups...

Veldek
Jun 12, 2003, 11:59 AM
You're half right, I meant the Intertoto Cup, but there aren't two finals. Think again.

Of course Russia is right, so 3 out of 9 or 4 out of 10, if you want.

The Home Grand Prix of Ferrari is Imola and this isn't in Italy.
edit: or isn't it???
2nd edit: yes, it is!

zimv20
Jun 12, 2003, 12:44 PM

okay, i just woke up. i promise i'm not consulting anything but my sleepy brain and haven't read any further into the thread.

iirc, a right-wing french politician who could have beaten chirac if he weren't so extreme.

french, italian, (swiss) german.

it wasn't Tatu, was it? if so, then britain probably banned their video.

he's a football player (soccer to us yanks). i can't name cities, but he currently plays for england and he's rumored to be moving to spain.

no idea.

ack! i don't know! does it have anything to do w/ lack of strong encryption?

zimv20
Jun 12, 2003, 12:53 PM

errrr.... what's kobenhavn?

???? there's a country in there?

zero. you can do it all in change.

hmmm... one of the king louis... dunno which.

turkey!

italy?

greece & turkey

in england, i thought. perhaps in the rubble of wembley? :-)

no idea

10) What's Nice?

1. a town in france
2. a 70s band w/ Keith Emerson
3. you guys letting me play on this thread

Veldek
Jun 12, 2003, 01:48 PM
@zimv20: 2 out of 9 and you are close on number 4...

MOFS
Jun 12, 2003, 02:08 PM
Hey, MOFS you only got 4 points. But I have to leave one question out as I made a mistake. You're right with Russia, although I thought of Turkey, which would be right too, but this makes the question unfair a little. So 4 out of 9, well, think again!

D'oh! Just noticed I put Monza as the answer to the country in which Ferrari's home race is! Italy, of course. PS: Isn't San Marino another principality? So not a country? Anyway, they count all grand prixs in italy "their home grand prix".

Didn't know the "roi de soleil", but if its Napoleon (Bonaparte), I thought he was an emperor? I'm British so I only vaguely know about the Euro (hey, I thought at first you meant 1 euro and 88.5cents at first reading! Here in the UK we write 1885euro or 1,885 euro). I know there was one enormously huge note, so if its 500 euros, then I reckon its 3x500 and 3x100 and 1x50 and 3x10 and 1x5 = 11 notes. Six InterToto cup winners? So that leaves the place the Eurovision Song Contest was held, so it must have been Latvia, due to strategic votng in the previous contest by the Scandanavian states!:rolleyes: :p

maradong
Jun 12, 2003, 02:18 PM

no idea

Andorra

3 x 500
1 x 200
1 x 100
1 x 50
1 x 20
1 x 10
1 x 5
makes 9

louis 14

russia

Italia

Half Greece half turkey

riga ?

wtf is interested in football i dont. that s not global interest but rather a big clunch of people interested in a sport where people run for 90 minutes after a ball...

10) What's Nice?
luxembourg city :D

Veldek
Jun 12, 2003, 02:26 PM
@MOFS: San Marino is right (don't know the exact difference between a country and a principality, but that's what I meant and it's more exact than Italy...)

Latvia is right, too, so two more points for you.

@maradong: 4 out of 9, but why so rude about football. You see most Europeans like this sport and this is a European thread, so you have to care about it.:) At least, you are the first, who got no. 3 and 4 right.

zimv20
Jun 12, 2003, 02:43 PM
@zimv20: 2 out of 9 and you are close on number 4...

only 2? i thought i got:

3, part of 4, 5, 7, 10

Veldek
Jun 12, 2003, 03:26 PM
3 is wrong, look at maradongs answer, which is right.

7 and 10 are right.

5 is somehow right, but I took it off, as there is more than one right answer.

4 is partly right, but that counts nothing. Again, look at maradongs answer.

Well, until now, nobody answered no. 9 right, so I give you the answer: it's, as many of you guessed, the Intertoto Cup, which has three finals and therefore three winners.

So, now every question has been given a right answer.

Good night!

shadowfax
Jun 12, 2003, 04:21 PM
4) Who was called "le roi du soleil"?I'll take Louis XIV, for the price of Versailles?

MOFS
Jun 12, 2003, 05:38 PM
Isn't it Denmark? I mean..ever seen Greenland?..Greenland belongs to Denmark as far as I know..

Uhm...where is the only European Jungle located? :) /edit:ah man somebody already gave the answer..grmbl :D

Does somebody know which one is bigger..Vatican City or Monaco? ..they are the two smallest countries of Europe I think ( the vatican ownz all :))

Yeah, throughout this (now quizzical and not Mac related at all except for the fact that we all use them) thread, the question as to what the smallest county in Europe is, since we know its in Europe. I thought Vatican City, Monaco and Andorra (and other places with governments eg Wales) were principalities, and that Luxembourg was the smallest country in the world.

10) What's Nice? luxembourg city:D

Maradong, since you are from that fair little (but apparently perfectly formed) country, could you enlighten us re this conundrum? Thank you.

And now for something completely different...

zimv20
Jun 12, 2003, 08:09 PM
3 is wrong, look at maradongs answer, which is right.

hmmm... i read it as "the least number of bills." i can figure a way to pay one thousand eight hundred eighty-five euros with no bills. you do it all with coin.

i'm far too clever for my own good :-)

Veldek
Jun 13, 2003, 09:39 AM
Interesting answer, you're right in a very strange way, but I hope it's obvious that I didn't mean this.

Still a very good answer that I will have to remember.

Bengt77
Jun 13, 2003, 09:50 AM
Hey all,

I'm Bengt77 and am from the Netherlands. Don't ever call our country Holland, except when you're sure the Dutch person you have in front of you actually is from Holland (being the two most intensely populated provinces, Noord-Holland and Zuid-Holland). I, myself, actually am from Noord-Holland (Haarlem, to be precise), although I've lived in Den Haag (Zuid-Holland) for a while. Both very nice cities, but I like Haarlem a tad better.

How're all you Nederlanders doing out here (there)?

Europe is quite okay. Not as dumb as Northern America, not as criminal as Middle America, not as warm and dangerous as Southern America, not as poor as Africa, not as sick (SARS) as Asia, not as lazy as Oceania and not as cold as Antarctica (but probably rainier). It's perfect, now I think about it, really.

I'm one happy European citizen.

EDIT: Changed US to Northern America, to please the Canadians.

Veldek
Jun 13, 2003, 09:56 AM
Hi Bengt77!

Wow, I never looked at it this way. But I think you're right :D

Veldek
Jun 13, 2003, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by vollspacken
I'm Jan, student of political science, public law and economics... formally at a small college in nortwestern Iowa, now back at my home university in Muenster, GERMANY (muharharhar, not yet, classes do not start until middle of october...).

I went through the thread again and realised that I missed you somehow. Nice, to see another German in here, though I already thought you were one when I saw your nick;) .

whooleytoo
Jun 13, 2003, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by zimv20
hmmm... i read it as "the least number of bills." i can figure a way to pay one thousand eight hundred eighty-five euros with no bills. you do it all with coin.

i'm far too clever for my own good :-)

You still did better than me!! I spent years testing multilingual versions of the MacOS (in the Cork plant), and yet still I read that and thought he meant 1 (point) eight eight five euros, and wondered where I could get the .005 of a euro! Ha!

Mike.

Alte22a
Jun 13, 2003, 10:46 AM
Hey Dudes & Dudettes!!

I am Dave, Born in the Uk, currently living in Kent( which is south east of London). Use to study Software Eng back in the days of 486DX 66. Later dropped out and did odd jobs now and there. later took up a BA in photography. Just graduated last year. Actually just arrived back from Japan having been there for the last six months. Worked in a graphic/photography related enviroment.

To the point started to use MACs at Uni when I started my photography BA, first apple was a iMac classic DV, followed by a blueberry iBook then dual 500 and the lastest baby is the 1Ghz powerbook. Hoping to get a real Power Mac when they finally arrive 970, G5 or what ever, I just need more power.

cc bcc
Jun 13, 2003, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by Bengt77
Hey all,

I'm Bengt77 and am from the Netherlands. Don't ever call our country Holland, except when you're sure the Dutch person you have in front of you actually is from Holland (being the two most intensely populated provinces, Noord-Holland and Zuid-Holland). I, myself, actually am from Noord-Holland (Haarlem, to be precise), although I've lived in Den Haag (Zuid-Holland) for a while. Both very nice cities, but I like Haarlem a tad better.

Hey, that makes it about 3 of us here. :D

I disagree however. What's wrong with calling the Netherlands Holland? It's easy, everyone knows what you mean. We even do it ourselves all the time in stupid football songs, and in a lot of other things. I really don't mind "Holland". I know what people mean when they say it, and everyone know wat I mean when I say it. Even if it's technically wrong.
Nitpicking is a real "Hollandish" thing, stop it now! ;)

Funny thing, I saw something on tv about this a couple of years ago. The pronounciation of "Holland" is quite similar in about every language. They played a radio recording of a middle east radio show "blgblgblgb lbagbblgb holland bgla sjh g sfg nv" to make their point. :D

And never forget:

God created Earth, and the Dutch created Holland.
Aight!?

MOFS
Jun 14, 2003, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by Bengt77
Hey all,

How're all you Nederlanders doing out here (there)?

Europe is quite okay. Not as dumb as Northern America, not as criminal as Middle America, not as warm and dangerous as Southern America, not as poor as Africa, not as sick (SARS) as Asia, not as lazy as Oceania and not as cold as Antarctica (but probably rainier). It's perfect, now I think about it, really.

I'm one happy European citizen.

EDIT: Changed US to Northern America, to please the Canadians.

So why does the Dutch football team have the name "Holland" on their shirts?

Talking about citizens of Europe, us Brits aren't even citizens of our own country - we're subjects of the Queen.:mad:

Alte22a
Jun 14, 2003, 04:34 PM

Talking about citizens of Europe, us Brits aren't even citizens of our own country - we're subjects of the Queen.:mad:

Guess its not so bad, she is the face on our notes and at the moment we are still getting a good deal with the exchange rates. :rolleyes:

But if I was in trouble in a 3rd world country, yes I would need the royal subjects to bail me out please. Guess thats fine. :p But on our passport doesnt say that we are citizens? Actually thinking about what difference does it really make?

ColoJohnBoy
Jun 14, 2003, 04:40 PM
Yes, I know, I live in Denver, Colorado. But I used to live in Sevilla, Spain; lived there for a bout a year then traveled all over Europe for three months. I lived in West Berlin for about a year right after I was born (My dad is a Russian/German linguist for the Army and was stationed there) but haven't been back. I visit England once a year, and hope to attend Oxford or Cambridge for my graduate degrees (I'm an English Lit major.) Hopefully this qualifies me as a European MacHead. (Oh yeah, I despise Bush, so that should count too ;) Anyhows, I own a maxed-out TiBook 800, a Graphite iMac 600 MHz, and will soon be getting a 15.4" AlBook. Yay!

Visit Blue Pudding!
http://bluepudding.1hwy.com

cc bcc
Jun 14, 2003, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by ColoJohnBoy
Hopefully this qualifies me as a European MacHead.

No! You you you European wannabee!

Luckely I'm pretty easy to bribe.. :D

cc bcc
Jun 14, 2003, 05:10 PM

Hmm all the football songs are about "holland" as well, never "the Netherlands".
Any one will do if you'd ask me.
Perhaps it's because everyone understands "holland" since it's written like that in most languages, or similar like "hollanda"

orangedv
Jun 14, 2003, 06:12 PM

Talking about citizens of Europe, us Brits aren't even citizens of our own country - we're subjects of the Queen.

I used to think this, but it is not true, as I found out when I renewed my passport last year and went off to America.

Anyone born in the UK of UK nationals, is a British Citizen, not a subject.

Quote;

" Citizenship and National Status
British citizens have the right of abode in the United Kingdom. No right of abode in the United Kingdom derives from the status, as British nationals, of British Dependant Territories citizens, British Nationals (Overseas), British Overseas citizens, British protected persons and British subjects."

Good point about the Dutch having Holland plastered all over thier shirts. That post hacked me off big time. The question I posted drew attention to the Netherlands geo-political status, rather than mocked it, and what thanks do I get from a short sighted native? Not enough to plug a leaky damn. Maybe I should go back to calling it Holland.:mad:

cc bcc
Jun 14, 2003, 06:19 PM
Not enough to plug a leaky damn.

Just use your thumbs. ;)