PDA

View Full Version : OSX -- the magnificent platform

homeshire
Jun 11, 2003, 02:39 PM
Oct., 2002 -- I finally replaced my aging, creaking PPC 6500/250 with a brand-spanking new G4 iMac. It came equipped with this new-fangled thing called "X". Since bringing her home I have discovered the following programs on this amazing platform --
Still Life
MorphX
GifFun
Imagemagick
the Gimp (non-techies like me be forewarned, these last 2 are offerings from the Unix world. Be prepared to explore X11 and Fink to enjoy their goodness -- I did, and while it had it's moments, it is wildly satisfying). I have never in my life had such fun (on a computer). Guess what I paid for it all? nothing, nada, zilch, zip, nichts!!! (Still Life has since gone to shareware, and is, not surprisingly, even that much more amazing).
My god, I haven't even mentioned iLife and the Music Store. Is this the era of mac, or what!!!??? I post this for a few reasons -- first of all to profess my love for this platform. It is so often truly just fun to sit in front of this machine. Secondly, to state with firmness and boldness that numbers be damned, we have the best this industry has to offer (being a non-professional, I can be somewhat blase about speed). Lastly, I simply want to inquire of others what wonderful things they have discovered on this platform since migrating?
Truly, what does Wintel have to offer against this? I know they have 250,000 titles etc etc. But really, who should suffer envy? :D
The macintosh user experience is an overall joy, and that is the real wonder. That is really what ought to stick in the craw of Bill Gates and his brothers.

pEZ
Jun 11, 2003, 04:58 PM
And that, my friends, is why I am a Mac Activist.