PDA

View Full Version : OSX.2 on G3 desktop

macphisto
Jun 11, 2003, 04:17 PM
Okay, I am kind of curious. How hard is it to get OSX.2 running on a old G3 desktop. I know that it would probably require a new video card and a larger hd and more RAM. Has one ever done this? And how slow is it?

utilizer
Jun 11, 2003, 04:29 PM
If you have OS 9 on yours, and concerned about speed, you might want to keep your system! I have a the 400 Mhz G3 PowerBook and can relate to your problem.
Everything runs mightly slow when you have a bunch of apps open (two or three). I like to have Entourage, Safari and iTunes running at the same, with eDonkey (filesharing app) running in the "background". (Don't worry about that too much if you don't know what I'm talking about.)

But back to the point, if you run Photoshop, or any other app that likes to crash in OS 9 for that matter, you may reap benefits from upgrading to X.2, with virtually no crashes (I have them only when I try to connect to a Windows machine sometimes).
The lost time in speed more than surely makes up for the gained time in productivity while you would be wasting that time watching the OS 9 machine reboot, run DiskFirstAid, etc.
One other note and I'll end this:
GoLive is PAINFULLY SLOW on this machine! If you just e-mail and browse the net, stay with what you've got.

applemacdude
Jun 11, 2003, 04:31 PM
Uh, I have a 266 Minitower Beige G3 with 6mb of VRAM and a 8Gb HD. On the ata bus in the g3 u have to partition the hd. I don' tlnow why , but u have to. Using a scsi ( or ata) card will work. as far as vram goes i would reccoment buying an ati 7000( but since i cant afford it). ram....get the most u can. if u can upgrade the zif by replacing or overclocking it do it...try to get a rev c rom dimm if u can..as far as performance its ok not too fast but not too slow with regular use (i.e internet word proccesor) but the upgrades should help.

mwpeters8182
Jun 12, 2003, 01:34 PM
macphisto --

OS X runs pretty well on my g3 400... and the upgrades can be had pretty cheap on ebay, i would look into that.

MP

yzedf
Jun 12, 2003, 01:57 PM
How about the 350MHz G3 iMac? It has 320MB of RAM... other than that it is stock. Runs OS 9.1 nicely, is OS X (10.2.6) ok for this machine?

Tim Flynn
Jun 12, 2003, 02:12 PM
I have Blue&White G3 that has a bit of a problem with OS X.
10.2.5 runs just fine on it.
10.2.6 locks up.
So the machine is staying at 10.2.5 until it dies.
Also a 3 gig drive is ... too small.

I hope some of this helps.

macphisto
Jun 12, 2003, 02:57 PM
Thanks for all of you help and suggestions everyone. I knew that it would take a little work, and a little money to get it to run. Thanks again everyone.

You know, this is why I like macrumors so much. There is always someone there who knows how to do so something and answer any questions. Great job Arn and everyone else!

:)