PDA

View Full Version : My friend's dad modded his Wii to play DVDs.

Mr. MacBook
Mar 31, 2007, 02:30 PM
Holy crap so im walking to my friends house one day, and im bringing zelda and redsteel so we can play on his wii, and then i see him watching "Flags Of Our Fathers" without a DVD player and its on his Wii. I ask him, "How are you doing this?" He pauses it, presses "eject" and the DVD comes out, and he told me his dad did something with it. It was freakin awesome.

If any of you know how to do this, tell me NOW.

Nicolasdec
Mar 31, 2007, 02:33 PM
This Cant be true. if it is that is so cool, i would also like to know how to do it.

sb58
Mar 31, 2007, 02:36 PM
sounds like his dad had to have replaced the Wii's drive with one from a DVD Player, but i thought that that would make it so you couldn't play games...

500th post!

zap2
Mar 31, 2007, 02:39 PM
Mod chip...it still play games, but I'd be to worried I'd screw my Wii up to do it...plus Nintendo will likely release an update to get rid of stop it.

Also Mod Chips are commonly used to "back up game" which I wouldn't do..of course there are other uses like DVD play back, but I don't really need it.

seenew
Mar 31, 2007, 02:51 PM
Flags of Our Fathers was a terrible movie. What a waste of the mod. :p

antonwalker
Mar 31, 2007, 02:53 PM
Who really cares about watching DVDs on a wii. I have a wii and i am not complaining about no dvd playback. I have a DVD player, like almost everyone else. I admit though, it is kinda cool, but not useful.

risc
Mar 31, 2007, 03:36 PM
I admit though, it is kinda cool, but not useful.

Unless you want your Wii to play movies... :rolleyes:

zap2
Mar 31, 2007, 03:48 PM

Because those darn DVD player are so expensive! Not to mention hard to fine!

antonwalker
Mar 31, 2007, 03:49 PM

Thats why you own a DVD player.

Dagless
Mar 31, 2007, 04:50 PM
Well since our previously hacked Sony DVD player broke a few months ago a nice region free DVD player would be great. The DVD recorder plays our Region 2 DVDs perfectly, but our Region 1 imports are just left collecting dust.

If it's not region free, ah well. It's a shame DVD players are just too pricey :( ;)

furious
Mar 31, 2007, 05:10 PM
April fool?

Dagless
Mar 31, 2007, 06:54 PM
April fool?

I hear there is/was a modchip that can play DVD's.

JackAxe
Mar 31, 2007, 09:29 PM
This mod (http://wiixt.vze.com/) claims it can do it.

I got a DVD player on my box of cereal last week.

<]=)

pcypert
Apr 2, 2007, 06:22 AM
Isn't there one modchip that plays DVD's and any region Games AND has an upgrade ability so you can upgrade the firmware if nintendo blocks it in the future? I know for a fact there's one with firmware and all region games...just can't remember if it allows DVD's also. And flying all over the world I do want my Wii to be able to play DVD's from all regions...no matter how cheap they are it's a pain to carry so much stuff on an airplane.

Paul

KurtangleTN
Apr 4, 2007, 12:31 PM
Thats why you own a DVD player.

It's much easier for me to just pop a DVD into my game system, that is already hooked up, then go into the living room and use our only DVD player, especially if I want to stay in bed while watching a movie.

I'm sure if I looked hard enough in the boxes i'd find one of our cheap dvd players, but it's just more of a convince.

Sky Blue
Apr 4, 2007, 12:56 PM
My friend's dad modded his Wii to play DVDs.

No he didn't.

xli_ne
Apr 4, 2007, 01:39 PM
o yes HE did

Dagless
Apr 4, 2007, 02:24 PM
Would be nice for the Wii to play DVD's because of the power usage. DVD players are just that, a DVD player. low powered wee things. The 360 or PS3, even old Xbox are just so overkill (noise, system GUI, DVD GUI). I agree with the video ports thing. But even so, all the DVD players I own have their own inputs so you can channel a Freeview box or console through it. They must be quite common at this stage.

amtctt
Apr 4, 2007, 05:13 PM
oh man, that's cool, and here i am watching blu-rays on my ps3 when i could be watching dvds on a Wii. :D

JackAxe
Apr 4, 2007, 07:23 PM
Blu-Ray + MPEG2 HD, looks like vomit!!! ;)

<]=)

zap2
Apr 4, 2007, 07:27 PM
Who still watchs DVDs? Rip' em to your Mac...duh:p

Then :apple: TV for the big screen

JackAxe
Apr 4, 2007, 07:37 PM
I'm going to get a :apple:TV soon. :)

Just wish there was a way I could plug my Wii into it?

<]=)

zap2
Apr 4, 2007, 07:50 PM
I'm going to get a :apple:TV soon. :)

Just wish there was a way I could plug my Wii into it?

<]=)

I just plug my AppleTV in, pick a playlist,unplug the video cables, then only put in the video cables for my Wii.

bmb012
Apr 4, 2007, 08:59 PM
Did your friend's dad also write the software that tells the Wii how to play video dvds...?

amtctt
Apr 4, 2007, 10:11 PM

<]=)

HAHAHA. oh man, i don't even know what you are talking about. MPEG2 isn't the reason a BD looks bad or not, but good try.

Foxglove9
Apr 4, 2007, 10:39 PM
My Wii is modded and it does not play DVD's. What I can do though is put movies onto an SD card and watch them through that. I couldn't care enough to try it but I've read about it.

zap2
Apr 4, 2007, 10:50 PM
My Wii is modded and it does not play DVD's. What I can do though is put movies onto an SD card and watch them through that. I couldn't care enough to try it but I've read about it.

What Mod chip? Not all allow for DVD play back(duh!)

ezekielrage_99
Apr 5, 2007, 12:32 AM
Because those darn DVD player are so expensive! Not to mention hard to fine!

Yeah and not to mention most TV now don't have enough AV connections to accomodate more than one device being connected..... ;)

Foxglove9
Apr 5, 2007, 06:28 AM
What Mod chip? Not all allow for DVD play back(duh!)

I'm using the Wiinja in mine. I haven't read up features on the others since February so maybe DVD playback is possible now in the others?

psychofreak
Apr 5, 2007, 06:41 AM
Yeah and not to mention most TV now don't have enough AV connections to accomodate more than one device being connected..... ;)

Bleh...Its always nice to have a two-in-one...instead of cluttering...and the Wii is a purty DVD player...

Dagless
Apr 5, 2007, 06:43 AM

<]=)

Exactly! I'm hoping that a CRT HDTV will help mask the problems. But I think for obvious MPEG artifacts it's Sky HD who takes the biscuit.

amtctt
Apr 5, 2007, 08:18 AM
Exactly! I'm hoping that a CRT HDTV will help mask the problems. But I think for obvious MPEG artifacts it's Sky HD who takes the biscuit.

Some of the best looking Blu-rays use MPEG2. it's not really about the codec as much as the masters.

gkarris
Apr 5, 2007, 09:33 AM
How is this possible? The Wii's OS doesn't support DVD playback, and you can't control things such as Anamorphic Widescreen...

gkarris
Apr 5, 2007, 09:34 AM
Some of the best looking Blu-rays use MPEG2. it's not really about the codec as much as the masters.

Going off topic. All the MPEG-2 BD's I've seen have this obnoxiuos "mosquito noise", and of course HD DVD and BD w/ VC-1 looks great!

amtctt
Apr 5, 2007, 09:37 AM
Going off topic. All the MPEG-2 BD's I've seen have this obnoxiuos "mosquito noise", and of course HD DVD and BD w/ VC-1 looks great!

Have you seen Crank? Crank is viewed by many as possibly the best looking live action BD to date and is MPEG2. I certainly thought it looked amazing. Also check Kingdom of Heaven and Black Hawk Down, both reference quality MPEG2 BDs. There are some MPEG2s that look like crap, but those are mostly the 25gb discs that lowered the bitrate to fit onto the discs.