PDA

View Full Version : PS3 vs Xbox 360 elite

antonwalker
Mar 31, 2007, 02:46 PM
I'm gunna get one and I want to know the cons and pros of each. Im sick of looking at windows or sony fan boys websites saying how good their system is. I want unbiast info. Dont make this a war zone please.:D

Thanx in advance.

zap2
Mar 31, 2007, 02:57 PM
You'll never get unbiased...most of us here like one or the other.

Personally I'd go with the Elite over the PS3..not really for the harddrive, because I'd never use it all, but its nice to have. If your looking ofr harddrive space, you could always upgrade the PS3. Either way there most then I'd ever need...not sure about you.

Both have HDMI...although I think the Elite ships with a cable, the PS3 doesn't. It also ships wiht composite/component...while PS3 only ships with Composite.

The system themselves are botth nice looking...I like the black look of the PS3 over the black Xbox 360...but I'd take white over either.

The controller on the XBox 360 is world better then the PS3's, but that a personally matter. I will say I'd rather have rumble then have arsed motion sensing.

For games the XBox 360 has more choice currently...and it will stay that way for a while. Plus I'd sayig XBox 360 is going to have better games at the end of this generation, but that a personal call. But no one can say the PS3 has more games right now.

Price the Xbox 360 win..its comes with more in the box, plus it 30 dollars cheap(or 130, but then you get Wi-Fi), thats assuming you don't want Blue-Ray/HD-DVD...is you do the PS3 is a better buy, if your going to watch more movies then games.

End of the day, I'd go Xbox 360 Elite then PS3...the Wii would be first, but you did ask about that

antonwalker
Mar 31, 2007, 03:10 PM
I already have a wii. And I am looking for something with a lot of more graphical capabilities. What has better graphix. And how inferior is ps3 online community to xbox live.

sikkinixx
Mar 31, 2007, 03:15 PM
Well no Wifi is lame, and is $100 add on. No HD-DVD may or may not matter to you, but seeing as the Elite is clearly aimed at HD people (why else do you need 120GB HDD and HDMI?) it seems a little silly not to add it or at the VERY LEAST have a black HD-DVD Drive. Maybe they know something we don't? And I was reading that the HDMI in the Elite is the 1.2 spec NOT the 1.3 so all the nice True-HD and DTS-HD audio ain't gonna work with you HD-DVD player, which again, is odd considering that this system is for HD people. And it doesn't seem that the 360 is getting the smaller, cooler and cheaper 65nm chips yet either...

But it does have the bigger library which is good, Live is #1 for sure, rumble if you like it, and it's cheaper providing you don't need Wifi/HD-DVD. And if you are obsessed with points (as a few of my friends are) then achievement points are for you.

PS3 may be media overkill if you just wanna play games, but if you like your Home Theatre than it's a better way to go than the 360. More expensive, obviously, a bit clunkier as it has yet to get all the little firmware goodies that the 360 has, no rumble for now, and frankly, the game library is fairly slim for the time being.The PS3 is WAY more quiet than the 360, although the new 360's (including the Elite) have a quieter BenQ drive, so that negates that. PS3 online is good, but not great. Not very well integrated with eachother but it's free and games work fine. 40 player Resistance battles are quite something. The PSP-PS3 integration is cool but nothing special for now anyway.

I would suggest going to IGN or whatever and looking at previews for both systems. Find which game has better exclusives that you dig and then base a decision off of that.

madmax_2069
Mar 31, 2007, 03:19 PM
PS3
pro's : open architecture, powerful system, blue ray drive.

con's : lack of vibration in the controller, cheap wire (basicly a USB cable) that connects the controller to the system easy to break, no way to replace the battery's in the controller unless you take it apart, high price, easy to scratch the disk. the controller is also easy to break. have to have the controller connected to the system with it on to be able to charge the controller. its online ability's

360/ 360 elite

Pro's : easy removable HDD (120gb HDD in the elite version), very tough controller, removable battery packs. a recharging station for the battery pack's you can buy. good cable that connects the controller to the system that wont pop out of the controller during play. wont scratch disk's, HDMI port (306 elite version only), XBOX Live

con's : overheats (rummored to be solved with the CPU die size going smaller in the next gen 360 elite), cheap optical dvd drive could cause problems with the system not loading a game (also rummored to be solved with a better quality dvd drive in the next gen of 360 elite), no built in wifi (can add it with a add on), lack of a HDMI port on the system (orignal 360 only)

now since i dont own these systems, i am lacking allot of the Pro's and Con's of each. what i said above is from seeing what people say for each system and from what i have seen (from my friends systems). both systems have there good and bad.

maybe more people can add some Pro's and Con's to each system that i havent said.

antonwalker
Mar 31, 2007, 03:22 PM
I am starting to think about the ps3. Blue-ray and whatnot. I dont think i need that big of an HD. I probly will wait for better games. What about pure graphics power?

sikkinixx
Mar 31, 2007, 03:24 PM
^^ I would ignore the cable that plugs it into the system, thats why they are wireless. PS3 uses a USB cable while the 360 uses its own cable. The 360 cable is nice and long which rocks (PS3 comes with like a 3 foot usb cable :P) but it costs $30 which is lame.

And dude, BD don't scratch any more than a DVD does :p

In terms of gfx power, most people seem to say the PS3 has a better CPU while the 360 has a better GPU... but the debate generally comes to they are ~same and it's all about making games optimized for the system

zap2
Mar 31, 2007, 03:29 PM
I already have a wii. And I am looking for something with a lot of more graphical capabilities. What has better graphix. And how inferior is ps3 online community to xbox live.

Currently Xbox 360 has better graphics, but its really close, hard to see on multiplatform gaming. Xbox live is very very, kicks the crap out of PSN, however Home is coming soon, I'd rather have Text based online but its up to you.

antonwalker
Mar 31, 2007, 03:32 PM
Maybe i should just build pc. Cause ive been thinking whether to get a console or build a pc. I can get more graphix power out of a pc than the consoles. I cant get a cpu with 8 cells or 3 cores that are multithreaded. I can always get a a BR drive later when they are cheaper end then just plug my pc into the tv. Do you guys see any faults in my plan?

antonwalker
Mar 31, 2007, 03:33 PM
Xbox live is very very, kicks the crap out of PSN, however Home is coming soon, I'd rather have Text based online but its up to you.

What do you mean

madmax_2069
Mar 31, 2007, 03:35 PM
really if you look at it, the 360 and PS3's GFX abilities are about the same. systems are more than just its GFX ability's or power. you got to look at the game itself, GFX dont make a game its the gameplay that makes the game. if you have a game that looks awesome in GFX but play's like super mario bro's. then IMHO it suck's and not worth playing or buying. you got to take into account what you like to play and what you like a system to do.

with the 360 you get a great online comunity, arcade game downloads, movie trailer downloads, game demo downloads, and allot more. PLUS you can hook a MP# player up to it and play it threw the 360 ( the PS# has this ability i would think as well)

see you also got to look at SONY's stance in the game market. its rummored that some 3rd party SONY only games will be making it to the 360 cause of its success so far. you also got to look at why the real reason is that stores have a PS# in stock all the time ( it isn't cause of a good supply chain) thay are just not selling. the reason you see a 360 in stores is cause allot of people own one ( 11 million units sold so far, compaired to around 2 million PS3 units, compaired to 5 million Wii units), if you ask me SONY is in a hard place and can lose 3rd party support for PS3 only titles,

case in point 3rd party developers are going to go to where the money is. so far the PS3 has yet to produce the numbers to make the 3rd party developers to make PS3 only games. the better market is to make a game on all systems than just one. but being the 360 has a huge number of sold units means they have the more probability to get a system only game from a 3rd party developer.

zap2
Mar 31, 2007, 03:39 PM
What do you mean

I forgot to type "good" in that quote....Xbox live, kick the crap out of the current PSN(Playstation network), however Sony is coming out with Home for the PS3, its like 2nd Life and The Sims had a kid with XBox Live.

We don't know all the info about it yet. What we do know if you'll walk around in a virtual world to talk to people, to watch films ect, when using PS3 Home. With XBox live it all done in 2D, with text.

I'd go to Wikipedia and search "PS3 Home" for more information

antonwalker
Mar 31, 2007, 03:41 PM
Oh i get it. I think I'd go for text

zap2
Mar 31, 2007, 03:44 PM
11 million units sold so far, compaired to around 2 million PS3 units, compaired to 5 million Wii units), ,

More like

XBox 360-10M
Wii-6
PS3-2.5

This site puts MS at 9.8 XBox 360 sold, but I don't know about that.
http://www.wiiloaded.com/wii-news-Nintendo-sells-6-million-Wiis-ahead-of-schedule-a-7704

I do know when MS said the got to 10M units, it meant the shipped 10M units.

Oh i get it. I think I'd go for text

Good call

antonwalker
Mar 31, 2007, 03:48 PM
really if you look at it, the 360 and PS3's GFX abilities are about the same. systems are more than just its GFX ability's or power. you got to look at the game itself, GFX dont make a game its the gameplay that makes the game. if you have a game that looks awesome in GFX but play's like super mario bro's. then IMHO it suck's and not worth playing or buying. you got to take into account what you like to play and what you like a system to do.

with the 360 you get a great online comunity, arcade game downloads, movie trailer downloads, game demo downloads, and allot more. PLUS you can hook a MP# player up to it and play it threw the 360 ( the PS# has this ability i would think as well)

see you also got to look at SONY's stance in the game market. its rummored that some 3rd party SONY only games will be making it to the 360 cause of its success so far. you also got to look at why the real reason is that stores have a PS# in stock all the time ( it isn't cause of a good supply chain) thay are just not selling. the reason you see a 360 in stores is cause allot of people own one ( 11 million units sold so far, compaired to around 2 million PS3 units, compaired to 5 million Wii units), if you ask me SONY is in a hard place and can lose 3rd party support for PS3 only titles,

I already have a wii for super awsome gameplay. I want a graphics powerhouse.

madmax_2069
Mar 31, 2007, 03:54 PM
Maybe i should just build pc. Cause ive been thinking whether to get a console or build a pc. I can get more graphix power out of a pc than the consoles. I cant get a cpu with 8 cells or 3 cores that are multithreaded. I can always get a a BR drive later when they are cheaper end then just plug my pc into the tv. Do you guys see any faults in my plan?

i see many faults to your plan, for one the money spent on a console to build a PC will never come even remotely close to the GFX power from a console. you got to look at it this way , hardware in a console is almost always the same so game developers can take full advantage of the hardware and the said game run smooth and look awesome, wile there is so many different configs of a PC its hard to make a game run and look the same as the consoles version, cause the developer has to make every part of the game works on allot of different hardware configs, which can take away from the GFX ability of the PC.

heck look at the xbox and halo 1 and 2 you would never see that level of GFX on a PC running a 733mhz celoron or PIII for that matter running a 16mb vram video card with 64mb ram.

you cant really look at the power of a PS3 VS 360 as a selling point, cause both are really powerful system's. both are just about equal in power. you have to look in what the system can do and if its what you want a system to do. if you want to make a game console into a PC then go for the PS3's open ended architecture.

antonwalker
Mar 31, 2007, 04:08 PM
. if you want to make a game console into a PC then go for the PS3's open ended architecture.

I DONT WANT TO RUN LINUX EWWWW

Nicolasdec
Mar 31, 2007, 04:36 PM
I whould go with the ps3, the elite is a xbox 360 with a bigger HDD no WI-FI, no HD-DVD. all you are paying on the elite is the bigger HDD and HDMI.

sam10685
Mar 31, 2007, 04:42 PM

same here 'my good man... i'm going to wait though and see what's happenin around the time of the launch of Grand Theft Auto 4. as of now i'm thinkin PS3.

zoetropeuk
Mar 31, 2007, 04:59 PM

If that's the case then you definitely want the PS3. I have both the 360 and PS3 and half no preference for MS over Sony. At the moment I play the 360 slightly more than the PS3 as most of my friends are on XBL and none have a PS3 yet.

I spent quite a bit of time online playing PRG3 and recently spent this time playing F1 on the PS3. When I went back to playing PGR3 the other night I was shocked at how much better the graphics of F1 are compared to PGR3. F1 really is awesome and Motorstorm is no slouch.

I think in 12-18 months the PS3 will be by far the better console with noticably better games, a better online experience and a larger range of blu-ray movies over HD-DVD.

Matt

Dagless
Mar 31, 2007, 05:07 PM
As somebody who doesn't own either system, but with the only system missing from the house is a PS3, I'd say get a 360.

Larger library. No 3rd party devs flocking away. Rumble today. Online gaming today. No kooky resolution stuff.

Downside? No built in WiFi. No keyboard & mouse support ingame (come on, I'd replace my PC with one if they did that).

madmax_2069
Mar 31, 2007, 05:39 PM
well you can add wifi to the 360 with the add-on for it. if you dont have a HDTV watching a blue-ray movie or a HD-DVD movie will look almost the same as a normal DVD. hell even when you compare the Blue-ray and HD-DVD you can almost not tell the difference. if you ask me they have the same quality. its just another disk format war like what was with DVD-R and DVD+R which are the same size but are not compatible with each other. same with the DL DVD's

the selling point of a game console should what it can do (not power or GFX wise) cause both can keep up with each other. don't you think in 18 months the 360 wont get better or something, cause your are very wrong in that respect. if you ask me the 360 and PS3 will be matched. the 360 can do things the PS3 cant and the PS3 can do stuff the 360 cant. but each will produce great quality GFX. if you look at elder scrolls (for 360, PS3, and PC) they are all the same. each have there flaw's

sikkinixx
Mar 31, 2007, 06:03 PM
nm

zap2
Mar 31, 2007, 06:09 PM
you are so full of it. I can't speak for HD-DVD but the Blu-Ray movies I have look amazing compared to their DVD counterparts.

What? With out an HDTV, there shouldn't be a difference right? That what I though..I don't have Blue-Ray or HD-DVD so I'm just going with what I though

antonwalker
Mar 31, 2007, 06:54 PM
Right now I'm kinda in favor of ps3 or PC. But all my friends have a 360 and I want to play with them. With a pc though I can play with all of em.

EM87
Mar 31, 2007, 07:07 PM
PS3 pro's: User upgradeable HDD, HDMI 1.3, Blu-ray disc drive, Blu-ray disc's will still read scratched, great 3rd Party exclusives, better games (IMO) motion sensing (good for racing games, hard to use though), PSN is free (not real good though but you can play online and HOME is coming soon), PSP connectivity, Keyboard and Mouse support, Bluetooth, built in rechargeable battery in controller, it's super quiet and built in Wi-Fi. It also seems to have better hardware than the 360.

PS3 cons: Too expensive for some, does not come with HDMI cable, lacking any killer games right now (R:FOM and MotorStorm are pretty good though), controller design is old, no rumble (I don't really miss it but some might) and it is big.

Xbox 360 pro's: Has great first party games, nice controller, smaller than PS3, cheaper then PS3 (still not real good value IMO, I'd stick with the premium pack), has rumble, Zune and PC connectivity, Xbox Live and has some great game out now (namely Gears).

Xbox 360 con's: It is very loud, only has a DVD drive, Live is not free, no motion sensing in controller, need to buy controller charger, does not have many 3rd party exclusive games which MS have not published or own the rights to, high fault rate, HDMI 1.2 (I believe, may have 1.3 though), no HD-DVD drive, no Wi-Fi built in, no KB&M support in game and no bluetooth.

I have both of these consoles (well 360 premium) and I'd have to say that IMO the PS3 is the better console overall. The 360 has great online, great games and can connect with PC's but overall I prefer the PS3.

sikkinixx
Mar 31, 2007, 07:32 PM
What? With out an HDTV, there shouldn't be a difference right? That what I though..I don't have Blue-Ray or HD-DVD so I'm just going with what I though

why would you waste extra money on Blu-Ray movies if you didn't have an HDTV?

zap2
Mar 31, 2007, 07:39 PM
why would you waste extra money on Blu-Ray movies if you didn't have an HDTV?

But in the person you quoted said "If you don't have an HDTV"...but I agree you can see a difference in 1080i vs 480i...I just used my AppleTV, and its very very clear!

Right now, I'm really wanting my HDTV fixed, so I can pick up an HD-DVD, and start watching!

sikkinixx
Mar 31, 2007, 08:01 PM
But in the person you quoted said "If you don't have an HDTV"...but I agree you can see a difference in 1080i vs 480i...I just used my AppleTV, and its very very clear!

Right now, I'm really wanting my HDTV fixed, so I can pick up an HD-DVD, and start watching!

*ahem* nm :D

zelmo
Mar 31, 2007, 08:18 PM
As somebody who doesn't own either system, but with the only system missing from the house is a PS3, I'd say get a 360.

Larger library. No 3rd party devs flocking away. Rumble today. Online gaming today. No kooky resolution stuff.

Downside? No built in WiFi. No keyboard & mouse support ingame (come on, I'd replace my PC with one if they did that).

Other that Eidos announcing a wait-and-see approach to the PS3 [not exactly accurate to characterize that as 'flocking away' is it?], have any developers officially abandoned the PS3?

madmax_2069
Apr 1, 2007, 02:32 AM
Other that Eidos announcing a wait-and-see approach to the PS3 [not exactly accurate to characterize that as 'flocking away' is it?], have any developers officially abandoned the PS3?

no but there are a few that are not going to make PS3 only games like they did on the PS2, same goes for Nintendo. look at square they use to be a PS2 3rd party only developer, now the 360 is going to be getting some final fantasy loving, which makes square not a PS only 3rd party developer anymore. allot of other are taking the cautious approach on making a PS3 only game cause of the lack luster sales of the system. what this is coming from is the 360's high user base and system sales and developers are seeing this.

allot of them are thinking correctly on making a multi platform versions of a said game which makes logical since for a developer cause they in tern can make more money on the game than if they was to only develop a game for one system. by no means is it called abandoning the system or flocking away from the system. i think developers are starting to catch on on what can happen if they make a game for only one system. i think its a huge turn for developers in this area to do so but we are seeing a start of it now. it might take a wile but its going to boil down to 3rd party developers making all games multi platform (unless they see other wise to do so or the system maker makes a offer a developer cant refuse) and then you will only see system only games made by the in-house developers no matter if its MS or sony or Nintendo.

giganten
Apr 1, 2007, 08:56 AM
I say wait for the new Xbox 360 brute. More info about the new brute can you find here (http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/13153/Microsoft-Planning-Xbox-360-Brute-Edition/).

Agathon
Apr 1, 2007, 09:24 AM
I have a 360, and the only reason I got it over the PS3 was that the PS3 wasn't out yet where I live (and still isn't, officially). I needed a DVD player, and I thought I might as well get a console at the same time.

It's a fairly decent system, and works as advertised.

There are a number of problems with the 360:

(1) It's basically useless as a media centre owing to the loudness of its fans. I have hooked up my iPod to it and it is basically unlistenable due to the fan noise. It is OK for playing DVDs on though. The PS3 is much quieter.

(2) The wifi and Hi Def DVD are expensive add ons. I bought the wi fi and I can't get it to work using my mac as a base station. After all is said and done, you will pay not much less for the 360 to get it to the same state that the PS3 is in.

(3) The Xbox user interface is dire. Sony's Xross media bar is much better and cooler looking. The downloadable themes for the 360 are without exception, hideous.

(4) Right now Blu-Ray looks like it will win, if anyone wins the latest format war. A plus of the PS3 is that you get a blu ray player cheap.

(5) Much of the PS3 hate is simply anti-Sony (and some anti-Japanese) prejudice. To be sure, the company has had its problems, but there is nothing wrong with the PS3 in my experience of it.

(6) I read somewhere that the PS2 (yes the old one) is outselling the 360. If the 360 can't outsell Sony's old console, then it will have trouble once the PS3 gains momentum.

(7) Xbox Live is a bit of a ripoff. Six months of that will make up for the price difference between the consoles.

If you can stand having a somewhat limited selection of games in the next few months, go with the PS3. If I was buying today, that is what I would get.

mrgreen4242
Apr 1, 2007, 09:45 AM
(4) Right now Blu-Ray looks like it will win, if anyone wins the latest format war. A plus of the PS3 is that you get a blu ray player cheap.

(5) Much of the PS3 hate is simply anti-Sony (and some anti-Japanese) prejudice. To be sure, the company has had its problems, but there is nothing wrong with the PS3 in my experience of it.

(6) I read somewhere that the PS2 (yes the old one) is outselling the 360. If the 360 can't outsell Sony's old console, then it will have trouble once the PS3 gains momentum.

(7) Xbox Live is a bit of a ripoff. Six months of that will make up for the price difference between the consoles.

I'm not sure where you live, but in the US...
(4) I'm not seeing any clear indication of who will win the movie format war. If I had to guess, it'll be HDDVD simply because there are cheaper players, and the PS3 isn't moving like Sony said it would which is hurting the installed BR player base. More likely, though, a hybrid player will get released this year and sort of end the 'war'. At least MS would have the option of releasing a hybrid drive for the 360.

(5) There's a lot of Sony bias because they deserve it. Expensive proprietary media and formats are their MO, the root kit fiasco, etc. I've never, ever heard anyone site "Japan bias" in talking about consoles. Most gamers love at least one Japanese system (Sony or Nintendo). Maybe it's different where ever you lice.

(6) Ya, the PS2 outsells everything but the Wii month by month still... 360 and PS3 included. Why? It's cheap. So are the games. There's lots of people who intentionally buy last gen stuff to save money. I didn't get an XBox until last year for this reason. I don't see the logic of this argument, though. The PS2 isn't competing with the 360 for dollars.

(7) You don't have to buy Live. You pay for a service and most people seem to think it's worth the $50 a year. If you don't like it, though, don't buy it...

Anyways, I don't have any next gen systems right now, but I am definitely starting too take a look for a 360. There's lots of games out now, and it's been out long enough for the used market to have lots of deals. The PS3 is probably more powerful, but the 360 will give you a lot more system for the dollar.

pionata
Apr 1, 2007, 12:20 PM
Im quite happy with my ps3, there is very amazing games coming up (like Lair, Ratchet, MGS4, FFXIII, FFXIIIvs, Littlebigplanet, etc.), the free online is shaping up to be quite nice with Home.

At least look into it, from what I see and know, the ps3 will end up with the most impressive games becose of its physics processing advantage. Depends also if you inside rpgs or fps, as the ps3 gets much more rpgs.

I actually got a20 gig ps3 and plan to swap the HD when its full with a 300+gigs, they are quite cheap now.

madmax_2069
Apr 1, 2007, 01:42 PM
I have a 360, and the only reason I got it over the PS3 was that the PS3 wasn't out yet where I live (and still isn't, officially). I needed a DVD player, and I thought I might as well get a console at the same time.

It's a fairly decent system, and works as advertised.

There are a number of problems with the 360:

(1) It's basically useless as a media centre owing to the loudness of its fans. I have hooked up my iPod to it and it is basically unlistenable due to the fan noise. It is OK for playing DVDs on though. The PS3 is much quieter.

(2) The wifi and Hi Def DVD are expensive add ons. I bought the wi fi and I can't get it to work using my mac as a base station. After all is said and done, you will pay not much less for the 360 to get it to the same state that the PS3 is in.

(3) The Xbox user interface is dire. Sony's Xross media bar is much better and cooler looking. The downloadable themes for the 360 are without exception, hideous.

If you can stand having a somewhat limited selection of games in the next few months, go with the PS3. If I was buying today, that is what I would get.

1. i dont think that fans are that loud, i know cause every friday i go to halo and halo 2 lan party and there is at least 4 360's and you cant hear them at all. all you need to do is turn up yout TV or stereo (if you have a volume knob or button) ( i smell a SONY fan boy here with this remark)

2. hell you are lucky to even get any game console to work like this (cause i cant either), i have tried everything including a PS2 (using ethernet), a xbox (also useing ethernet), a 360 (using the wifi addon), the PS3 using wifi), and a Wii (using wifi). all of them come up with a DNS error. or unable to gain a IP address. you would figure this would work, if you ask me there is a few things wrong with OS X in this department. cause if it works with a windows machine you would thing it would work in OS X on a Mac. yes i have wifi on my Beige G3 AIO running 10.4.9. . i 100% agree with you that the addon was a stupid ideal at first thought (the HD DVD add on i think is, it should have been apart of the system to begin with). but also what if you own the system long enough and the wifi goes out ( your screwed and have to buy another PS3 when your warranty runs out.

3. i agree with you about the GUI. you can tell they didnt put allot of thought into this. but also once you get use to it there is allot it offers that you dont gain by first glance.

4. as every one else is also saying Blue-ray right now isnt looking so good compaired to HD-DVD. really it offers just as good of a video and sound quality as Blue-ray

5. some is and some isnt, some people are mad at SONY for the choices they have made, and the lies they have told

6. apparently the source you read from was false and was SONY fanboy's

7. you dont have to pay for it. you do for the top package, there is also xbox connect , and xlink

sikkinixx
Apr 1, 2007, 01:44 PM
How come people who admit they don't own either one of the systems are giving advice on which one they think is better? :confused:

mrgreen4242
Apr 1, 2007, 01:46 PM
Im quite happy with my ps3, there is very amazing games coming up (like Lair, Ratchet, MGS4, FFXIII, FFXIIIvs, Littlebigplanet, etc.), the free online is shaping up to be quite nice with Home.

At least look into it, from what I see and know, the ps3 will end up with the most impressive games becose of its physics processing advantage. Depends also if you inside rpgs or fps, as the ps3 gets much more rpgs.

I actually got a20 gig ps3 and plan to swap the HD when its full with a 300+gigs, they are quite cheap now.

Doesn't the PS3 use 2.5" HDDs? If they do, you're SOL with getting a 300gb drive, especially a cheap one. Max 2.5" drive is 160gb, which is going to run you about $120.

As far as I can tell, the PS3 only has a couple RPGs available, and the only one that is a "must have" is a game already on the 360. Haven't seen any exclusive big name RPGs announced for the PS3, and Final Fantasy sounds like it's going to be cross platform. The PS2 had a huge RPG lineup, but the PS3 is off to a slow start in that department.

I'm curious to see how the PS3 evolves in terms of how the Cell gets utilized and if it ends up having a massive advantage over the 360 or not. My "fear" is that by the time the PS3 gets into full swing and starts to show a significant advantage over the 360 MS will be prepping their next Xbox for release and it will be a bit pointless.

My bet is that MS will be trying to accelerate the console cycle because they can afford it and the competition may not be able to sustain that over a few generations. I think that they are also going to leverage their XNA or whatever the crossplatform (XBox/Windows anyways) development system they have to let them do mixed generation games. Just like a PC game will run on a wide variety of hardware with improvements in graphics, etc with better hardware, I think they will release a new XBox and for awhile at least the games will run on the 360 and a newer system, but the new system will have higher quality textures, better lighting, more advanced models, longer draw distances, etc etc. They will also do a more thorough job with their backwards compatibility that way as well - either sticking with the PPC platform or going to another platform and recompiling games like they did this time, which will be easier for titles created using their XNA system. (I'm wondering if they will go back to Intel, though, using a variant of the CoreDuo chips with 4 or more cores...)

That's my theory anyways. Makes sense, if they can keep a year or two ahead of what Sony is doing they can slowly just run them out of the market. Doing faster system releases but releasing software that will work on the old system and the new one for a while, along with some "next gen" system exclusives to help push sales, until they are the only real player in their market (they've already pushed Nintendo out of their market, really, which is fine though, since they've sort of created a new market for themselves) is just such an MS thing to do...

mrgreen4242
Apr 1, 2007, 01:50 PM
How come people who admit they don't own either one of the systems are giving advice on which one they think is better? :confused:

Those are the people I would listen to most. Someone who has one or the other already has a vested interest in it, and is going to intentionally or not be biased towards it.

I don't have either system, but I intend to buy one in the next month or so as an "add on" for my new Mac (getting another mini, so I wanted to add some gaming capability without having to spend a ton more money). I've considered both, looked at all the features, prices, games, etc of each and come to a conclusion.

sikkinixx
Apr 1, 2007, 02:02 PM
Those are the people I would listen to most. Someone who has one or the other already has a vested interest in it, and is going to intentionally or not be biased towards it.

But any info you got came from someone who had the system, then you are giving this guy info with your bias on top of the guy who you heard stuff from no?

I'm not saying you are wrong mind you, whatever system you wanna get is obviously up to you,just that the who bias thing is a load of BS since every source is bias, particularly when it comes to this stuff.

Dagless
Apr 1, 2007, 02:45 PM

Once more the "leet" crowd has spoken.

So what, you don't plan which systems you buy Sikkinixx? Weigh up each systems pros and cons instead of being one of those people who think they have the higher ground because they can afford both power consoles? No more working out which is more important for me.

madmax_2069
Apr 1, 2007, 04:08 PM

just cause you dont own a system dont mean you dont know the systems in's and outs. i play my friends 380 almost every week and my other friend's PS3. we play games and talk about game systems of today and yesteryear.

just get over yourself. i am befar not a know it all but i know enough about the current systems to say so

mrgreen4242
Apr 1, 2007, 04:24 PM
But any info you got came from someone who had the system, then you are giving this guy info with your bias on top of the guy who you heard stuff from no?

I'm not saying you are wrong mind you, whatever system you wanna get is obviously up to you,just that the who bias thing is a load of BS since every source is bias, particularly when it comes to this stuff.

Er, lots of review sites do a pretty good giving you a fair summary of games, and that's the most important part of a console. I could care less about the hardware, as long as it's affordable, available, and the controllers aren't horrendous. What matters is the games, and that's how I think anyone should base a console purchase: does a system have enough games that you think you would enjoy to make the purchase worthwhile?

You can get an OK feel of what games look and play like from several sources and make a fairly reliable conclusion about whether you're likely to enjoy it or not. I won't buy a system until there are at least 6 games out that I am interested in getting (when you figure these systems are going to cost you $400 without any games, and games are $60 each now, 6 games means $100 per game!). As an example, the 360 has Oblivion and it's expansion, GoW, PGR, CoD, NHL 07, Condemned, and a couple Live Marketplace games (Worms, Alien Homonid to name a couple), all out now that I'm interested in, plus Halo 3, Fable 2, Huxley, and a couple others on the way that I'll probably want. It wasn't until the last few weeks that I felt the 360 was a worthwhile buy. I just don't see that for the PS3 yet, and to a degree the Wii... though I'm confident the Wii will have at least 6 must haves within a year, and so will become a potential purchase for me. I'm not so sure about the PS3.

nek
Apr 1, 2007, 06:17 PM
More like

XBox 360-10M
Wii-6
PS3-2.5

This site puts MS at 9.8 XBox 360 sold, but I don't know about that.
http://www.wiiloaded.com/wii-news-Nintendo-sells-6-million-Wiis-ahead-of-schedule-a-7704

The 360 has been available for a year longer than Wii and PS3, so its sales should be much higher. Wii will likely become the volume leader soon enough and the PS3 will catch up to the 360 eventually, so wouldn't use that as a reason to buy one over the other.

I don't own any of them, but I'll likely get the PS3 because of the Blue-Ray. MS made a mistake when they didn't include the HD-DVD on their new 360 Elite. The games will come, just look at how many games the PS2 has.

JackAxe
Apr 1, 2007, 06:34 PM

I don't know about you, but I can afford both a PS3 and 360. Maybe it was a big purchase on your behalf, but even if it wasn't, does that give the right to be so arrogant towards others?

<]=)

poe diddley
Apr 1, 2007, 07:08 PM
bluRay is already winning in the format wars, it was announced last week.
i think Microsoft was retarded to go with HD-dvd in the first place-it has less space than bluray, and bottom line is that that in years to come, even that space on the disk won't seem like enough. the bigger the disk space, the better the movie or game can be, since the video or graphics won't have to be as compressed to fit on the disk.
personally, i don't like the PS3 interface. i think it looks goofy and a bit too simplistic. not that the xbox interface is much better, but i just don't like the overall look of the ps3 interface.
there arent' really any good games out for ps3 in my opinion other than Resistance:fall of man. that's really the only game i've seen that shows off the power of the system. maybe when the new gran turismo comes out things will be different.
360 has way more games available, but i'm sure sony will catch up sooner or later.
i'm more of an xbox fan than a playstation fan for years, but i think microsoft really screwed up by not going with bluray, and not offering either format in their "elite" version. i think that the elite version is a little lame imo, considering it only offers a bigger hd and hdmi capabilities.
i think everyone should just settle on either hd-dvd or bluray and call it a day. it's just dumb to have the format wars. somehow consumers get screwed by purchasing gear or disks that will become like beta tapes/players in a few years.....

EM87
Apr 1, 2007, 08:09 PM
Why are people saying HD-DVD will win the format 'war'? Have you people not noticed that in standalone players, Blu-ray is outselling HD-DVD 3 to one and then on top of that you have close to 3 million PS3 sales? Have you not seen the support that Blu-ray has from both movie studio's and electronic companies? Last I saw all HD-DVD players where from Toshiba whereas Blu-ray players are from Panasonic, Pioneer, Samsung, Sony etc.

Look (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_corporations_supporting_Blu-ray) at who is supporting Blu-ray, who is supporting HD-DVD? Toshiba... um... MS, sort of, Universal (is it them or someone else?).

HD-DVD is a great format but it is clear that if either Blu-ray or HD-DVD win the format 'war', it will be Blu-ray.

zap2
Apr 1, 2007, 08:14 PM
so wouldn't use that as a reason to buy one over the other.

I wasn't I was making the point that XBox 360 sales aren't as high as the could be(although they basicly don't sell any in Japan, which really hurt there overall number), neither are the PS3. Are the terrible? No, but I'd expect them to be higher when coming off the PS2.

The only company that shouldn't be worried about sales number is Nintendo

sikkinixx
Apr 1, 2007, 09:18 PM
I don't know about you, but I can afford both a PS3 and 360. Maybe it was a big purchase on your behalf, but even if it wasn't, does that give the right to be so arrogant towards others?

<]=)

I'm not being arrogant in the least. I'm just saying if you don't own the system why are you saying "well PS3/360 is better because [whatever]" when you have no experience with it? If you have or have played a good deal of time with a 360/PS3 then you probably have a lot of knowledge about what is good/bad/cool, but if you don't all you are doing is regurgitating what you read off the internet with your own interpretation of it.

zap2
Apr 1, 2007, 09:27 PM
I'm not being arrogant in the least. I'm just saying if you don't own the system why are you saying "well PS3/360 is better because [whatever]" when you have no experience with it? If you have or have played a good deal of time with a 360/PS3 then you probably have a lot of knowledge about what is good/bad/cool, but if you don't all you are doing is regurgitating what you read off the internet with your own interpretation of it.

Well all the owner bought the console, while the may have played it before hand, its nothing like owning it. I play a Wii once before I bought it, for 20mins tops, but I still bought it.

Also I don't have a PS3/XBox 360 but I think I know more then some of my friends who have one.

madmax_2069
Apr 1, 2007, 11:51 PM
if you dont own the 2 system's but have friend that do and when your over to there house and play it and do nothing but talk about it you tend to get the in and outs of the said system.

i am not bias of either system, for one i will never own one cause i cant afford one. but if i could afford one i will look at what games i like and what games i do like will be coming out for the system, and what the system can offer me that i can actually use and have fun using it.

JackAxe
Apr 2, 2007, 12:48 AM

If not arrogance, it's being closed minded and not seeing beyond your own experience, which came off as being arrogant/exclusive. Others have already pointed out why this would be the case.

<]=)

pcypert
Apr 2, 2007, 01:47 AM
I'd say there's way too much regurgitation online. I was prone to it earlier on. I see people doing it all the time. They read something or hear a friend say it. Used to these things would sometimes develop into big things but typically no. Now with the internet the slightest mispoken word or phrase could potentially end a small company.

I wonder sometimes if folks pay marketing people to buy memberships to forums...I've seen it happen on the oddest forums (like one I'm on for mandolins)...but it would make even more sense in the gaming world. On macrumors where there's not much posting/membership compared to other sites one persistent voice crying wolf can start to take on real meaning.

So when people blindly parrot info they've read about PS3, Xbox, Wii...well...it just stinks for the company. I haven't played a PS3 so I don't comment on them regardless of what I read...but at the end of the day people want to seem important and knowledgeable...even if it is to a bunch of anonymous gamers. So much so that they'll pass off stuff from a blog as their own knowledge...kind of sad.

Paul

mkjj
Apr 2, 2007, 05:25 AM
Just set up my PS3 this weekend and i am impressed. I have WiFi at home and the console connected to the network without a hitch, downloaded a minior update the demo of GTHD.

Web browser worked fine (better with a keyboard for url input!) as did Remote Play on the PSP.

Love the look of the console, very sleek.

Can't comment on the Xbox 360 but glad I have bought the PS3 as I can see more use in the PS3 for me, not being into online gaming etc.

mkjj
Apr 2, 2007, 05:27 AM
Sorry forget, just an interesting Mac note.
The default setting for music import is AAC not Sony's own format.

2nyRiggz
Apr 2, 2007, 05:28 AM
^Dude...not into online gaming....come on man thats where its at. Get R:FoM and play it online..you will change your mind.

Bless

Poogis
Apr 2, 2007, 05:31 AM
I bought a PS3 on UK launch day and to be honest, I am in the same position I was with the Wii - new shiny toy but not much to do with it after a while. I never got that with 360 as there were a lot of games from the get-go and is still the same now.

However, the PS3 will get there with the games soon (I hope) and looks like a better deal than the 360 Elite. I am also on my third 360 as they kept refusing to read game discs (not helpful on a games console).

It looks like M$ are just trying rip people off by offering a different colour Xbox with a larger HDD for a lot more cash all with exactly the same architecture as the older 360s. I can't see why it should be more than a 'Premium' 360. The Elite should have just replaced it as HDMI would have been nice to have from the start. And no wireless?!?

Wait for a PS3 and get a Premium White 360 now.

mkjj
Apr 3, 2007, 07:01 AM
^Dude...not into online gaming....come on man thats where its at. Get R:FoM and play it online..you will change your mind.

Might give it a go, not really into shooters (as i'm crap at them!) but never say never!

zelmo
Apr 3, 2007, 07:42 AM
Might give it a go, not really into shooters (as i'm crap at them!) but never say never!

I'm not a huge fan of FPS either [If you're not a good FPS player, going online for some R:FoM, GeOW or Halo action can be traumatizing.:p], but I must say that I've had a blast online getting crushed in Motorstorm and even NFS: Carbon.

Nym
Apr 9, 2007, 07:40 AM
I personally won't buy any next gen system until 2009, I like to wait :)

Anyway, both of the 3 consoles have their own pro's and con's right?
I get disturbed with the hundreds of posts (in MacRumors alone) where people advocate something so much that it just makes you dislike the brand... I see no reason for it, you have a preference, great, buy the console that suits you. There is no "better" console! if you paid for it and you love it, it's the best console... for you.

From what I can see the console wars are only in the beggining, I at least will give Sony the chance to get some more game titles into the PS3 and the official launch of Home before flaming it to death.
One thing that no one seems to give importance is the fact that the PS3 online capability is FREE, and IMO that's the only way to go, I find the 360 way of "pay to play" a little bit annoying since I don't have all that cash, and yes, 50$ a year makes quite a difference sometimes. (BTW, I don't know if the Wii online place is free too, if it is, thumbs up for Nintendo too.)

I have no bias against any brand, even M$... Although they've made some pretty awful things I can't judge a brand by one, two or even 10 bad decisions, I'll check the product before I speak, hence I don't understand people flaming Sony so much for the rootkit stuff and applauding the 360 like M$ never did anything wrong :O. Yes, it was stupid of them with the rootkit (for example), but as far as consoles go, I've never found a problem with the ones they make, just like the one's from other competing companies, they do what they're supposed to do, and that's it.

I've owned both a DreamCast and PS2 side by side and they were all fun to me, and at the end of the day that's what really counts, if you enjoy the system you have, then great, more fun for you!
Just don't go around saying everything else is crap/crippled/no-value/flop/ripoff. :o

My 2 cents.