Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

synthetickittie

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 17, 2002
Boston
Is it possible to ONLY delete a file/files that you select in the trash? I highlighted about 10 items in the trash thinking I was going to be able to right click and press delete or something like that to erease only those files but the option was not there. Now I know a few ways of empting the trash completly but no way of only empting the files I select and leaving others. Oviously I could just drag out the files I want and then empty the trash completly but tell me theres a simplier way?

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
why put stuff in the trash if you don't want to throw it away?

as far as i know, dragging the wanted files out, then emptying trash would be the way to do it

synthetickittie

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 17, 2002
Boston
so theres no way to accually do this other then doing that?.. no flames please but I gotta say it because I was too used to doing in on my last computer but "you can do it in windows"

pEZ

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2003
Madison, Wisconsin
Originally posted by jelloshotsrule
why put stuff in the trash if you don't want to throw it away?

as far as i know, dragging the wanted files out, then emptying trash would be the way to do it

I kinda have to agree here: Why are you putting something in the trash if you're not gonna throw it away? I just don't understand that notion. Can you explain why that's a useful feature? I have never once thought, "Gee, I really wish when I say 'Empty Trash' it didn't empty everything in it."

synthetickittie

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 17, 2002
Boston
I deffinitly cant remember why I first did it but did it once and got used to the feature but normally its something like I put some files in the trash that Im gonna delete and then there are all ready some files in there that I going to be delete just not yet because Im not COMPLETELY sure I wont need them again. Right now I have some files for my web site that are old php code files because I just redid my entire layout of my site and when I uploaded the new stuff I put the files from before into the trash that I didnt need anymore but didnt completely delete them because Im waiting about 2 days untill Im sure I here or see nothing going wrong with the site (Ive testing myself before I put it up the public but oviously with tons of people going to the site they might find something I missed). Then a few minutes ago I went to delete other things on computer(nothing to do with the site at all) and wanted to completely trash those things and leave the few php files in the trash just in case.

pivo6

macrumors 68000
Dec 2, 2002
Minnesota
I think you only have 2 options. Either don't move files to trash unless you're absolutely sure that you want to delete them, or don't empty your trash so often.

bombensington

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2002
Originally posted by synthetickittie
I deffinitly cant remember why I first did it but did it once and got used to the feature but normally its something like I put some files in the trash that Im gonna delete and then there are all ready some files in there that I going to be delete just not yet because Im not COMPLETELY sure I wont need them again. Right now I have some files for my web site that are old php code files because I just redid my entire layout of my site and when I uploaded the new stuff I put the files from before into the trash that I didnt need anymore but didnt completely delete them because Im waiting about 2 days untill Im sure I here or see nothing going wrong with the site (Ive testing myself before I put it up the public but oviously with tons of people going to the site they might find something I missed). Then a few minutes ago I went to delete other things on computer(nothing to do with the site at all) and wanted to completely trash those things and leave the few php files in the trash just in case.

if this is such an issue for you, maybe you should create a folder on the desktop called like "pseudo-trash" or something. just put the files that you might trash in there. when you figure out what you are going to do with the file, then there it is for you. then you won't be emptying the trash and accidentally deleting stuff you may want.

problem solved.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
haha this is stupid, just make a folder called the attic, you want to throw it away but not really sure, you cna just store it in the attic until you want to put it in the trash. im so sorry mac os x doesnt have this delightful feature.

iJon

synthetickittie

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 17, 2002
Boston
Now I never EVER said this was something IMPORTANT because oviously I know of all the ways around it. When I first posted I was just planly asking if there was something I was missing. But once I got back I that it just isnt possible my point was that its some a simple little feature that windows has and just woundering why osx doesnt allow you to do it. Ive all ready made a folder on the desktop like you said I should earlier before I read that. Dont it this like Im complaining that I cant do this but I just find it strange why they wouldnt just simply have and extra option when you highlight things in the trash and right click.. its MAY be a feature most of you do no use its just that its such a little thing I dont understand why it isnt there. Also I didnt start this topic for you to tell me ways around this because Im not THAT stupid I knew tons of ways around it.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
"Dont it this like Im complaining"
Interesting...let us know how that second folder works out.

iJon

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
Originally posted by synthetickittie
ya I REALY should read over my posts before I sumbit it.. but what I meant was "dont take this like Im complaining"
sorry, i really didnt care but my friend here thought it was the funniest thing he had heard and felt it couldnt go unnoticed, no hard feelings.

iJon

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
not every "simple little feature" will find its way into an os. as seen by the responses here, no one else seems to have thought of such a feature, so why include it?

keep in mind that macs don't sell with right mouse buttons, so right click options are limited... the fact is, most of them are built in elsewhere. keyboard shortcuts or in menus...

you could always give feedback on apple's site and request that feature. don't expect it to come round for just you though.

mactastic

macrumors 68040
Apr 24, 2003
Colly-fornia
OH MY GOD, WINDOW REALLY IS BETTER AFTER ALL!

Wow, I can partially empty my trash in windows, I'm sold. Im getting rid of my mac right now, and getting a wintel box just so I can partially empty my trash!

Sorry, that was sarcastic.

Sure there are some things windows can do that macs can't. It goes both ways though, so if every windows feature doesn't make it in, oh well.

Hehe... just playin with y'all

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.