Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jderosa3

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 31, 2007
I just bought a Refurbished Mac Mini from the Apple Store.

Intel Core Solo 1.5
512MB RAM

I installed 10.4.9 and all updates... worked fine...

I then found that the remote wasn't working and hear a rattling inside the unit (sounded like something had broke off from somewhere). Being in the IT field I decided why not just crack this open myself...

So I did and found that the tiny capacitor on the IR board as well as the IR receiever was broken off. Seems that when the case was put by on by the Apple Cert. Tech he must have crushed it.

Bummed me out big time... no big deal though I a replacment IR board on the way... I just for the moment removed the destroyed IR borad.

While the case was open I figured I should put in my 1GB chip I bought for this and bump it up to 1.25GB RAM and replace the sysytem battery (just because I can and I would know that it is brand new... Well after all of this...

I fire the system back up... Runs fine... the RAM is recognized and I have installed a few things... Including my touch screen! (I am installing this mini in my car)

But now the Fan seems to be running at full speed... Really loud! and the only other thing that is happening it that the System Preferance Date & Time Pane freezes... if I click on the date & time logo or if I select Open date & time from the clock it does the same thing... any ideas here!

This sound it driving me crazy and it is a sign of something wrong...

Just for the record the 1GB chip is made by Samsung and the original 256MB chip (from the 512) is made by Nanya...

Please help! Thanks :eek:

Aniej

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2006
First I have to say I think it is really odd and poor judgment on your part to begin to make modifications on something that you just bought and are having such a significant problem with. I would recommend that you remove the added parts and bring it back to the store asap. The closer to the date you bought it the more believable your story will be and easier to place the blame on the Apple tech rather than user error, from oh say opening up the mini and trying to put in new RAM and such.

CRAZYBUBBA

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2007
Toronto/Houston
What he said...

its best to get the problem fixed before it gets worse, plus its free to fix it now.. it won't be later and you don't want to pay 50% of your system cost in repairs. I like your idea of using the mini in the car, I've seen some very interestig setups online.

jderosa3

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 31, 2007
Aniej,

I will take it in if i can't resolve it... but I have to say that i used it for 3 days with no problems... so i am not sure of the issue here... I didn't just open it up and start modding...

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
So, broken IR receptor and very loud is no problems? Can I just third the advice above? Remove your ram and get that thing replaced. Being refurb does not mean it can have problems and it's ok.

livingfortoday

macrumors 68030
Nov 17, 2004
The Msp
You just forgot to reconnect the fan wire in the front when you closed it back up. That controls fan speed, so now they're whirrin' like crazy. Open it back up, and in the front, make sure you reattach that cable. Simple as that.

Edit: Beaten to it by a minute!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.