PDA

View Full Version : imac 1GH 17" with 1GB Ram good for Graphic Design

devilla101
Jun 11, 2003, 08:41 PM
I'm thinking of buying my first Mac which is the imac 17".
Now the reason why I'm buying one are:
17" is very nice
Visually appealling on my desk
Have AUD$4000

with some money left I can purchase more RAM to max out the machine. Expandibility has never been an issue to me before since I still have a Win computer with 10G for the past 3 years and have managed quiet well

Also I'll doing Graphic Design on it

jelloshotsrule
Jun 11, 2003, 08:46 PM
what's the question? :)

i'd say, if you could wait, it might be a good idea... however, i don't think that the imacs themselves will see much update....

the computer you mentioned is a great one though.

devilla101
Jun 11, 2003, 08:50 PM
Do you think it can handle Indesign, Illustrator and Photoshop well enough?

I know it can handle Macromedia apps well enough since I still use that on my win machine which is a PIII 450 with 192Ram

Also can Mac play Mpeg vid files.

I d/l a lot of music video clips on my win machine. All mpeg though. no .mov

cb911
Jun 11, 2003, 08:52 PM
that's a good computer, but don't forget that the 970 might be here soon (hopefully).

but if you're happy with it, then definitely go for it.

hugemullens
Jun 11, 2003, 09:09 PM
I'd echo the wait till the 23rd idea. But that imac will be just fine for what you need. my powerbook has a slower HDD, slower g4 and still doesnt have a single problem with photoshop or anything similiar.

devilla101
Jun 11, 2003, 09:13 PM
Yeah I think I'll wait. Its not an urgent purchase plus they might have better deals towards the end of the financial year.

Plus can someone please link me to an article re: 970. Don't even know what that is.

So can mac play Mpeg movie files?

Also does a mac have a program like Kazaa ? or anyother P2P software.

max11
Jun 11, 2003, 09:42 PM
macs can play mpg files I (and all other media files)

the mac doesn't have kazaa, but has a couple of equivilents, namely aquisition and limewire. better yet, buy it legally using the itunes music store (pending australian release)

right now in australia there is the camera and imac deal, where for AU$3890 you get the imac 17" and an olympus 3 megapixel, 3x optical zoom camera thrown in. shop around, and you should get 1GB ram as well for around $4100-$4200.

this deal goes for longer than the 23rd, so i don't think you'll be seeing iMac updates at WWDC.

the 970 is IBM's new chip that is rumored to be included in the new PowerMacs. Don't hold your breath about them appearing in the iMacs though.. (actually, don't hold your breath about them appearing anywhere for some time..)

I use my Powerbook 867/640MB for Photoshop, Illustrator, Dreamweaver, etc etc etc, and it handles it all without the slightest hiccup. for power / value, the imac 17 is a winner.

devilla101
Jun 11, 2003, 09:48 PM
hehehehe, sweeeeeeeeeeet.

Well with Kazaa I d/l heaps of Rnb mpeg moive files and the occasional mp3.

Does limewire let you d/l mpeg files as well.

Well at least its good to know that my chosen model will be able to handle graphic apps.

Now just to find a bank that can loan me the dough!!

c2kvette
Jun 12, 2003, 09:21 AM
The iMac you are looking at will do what you want just fine. I have one and run Photoshop, Illustrator, and Indesign all at the same time - no problems!
And for P2P programs, Limewire is exactly like Kazza.

whooleytoo
Jun 12, 2003, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by devilla101
Also I'll doing Graphic Design on it

In that case, try out an iMac in-store before you buy, against a CRT screen (such as an eMac). Although the iMac's screen is very, very nice, none of the LCD's I've used have the same colour richness as CRTs. Depending on the work you do, that may be an issue for you.

Mike.

jelloshotsrule
Jun 12, 2003, 10:02 AM
whooley makes a good point...

i think most designers for whom color accuracy is a big deal have 2 monitors, one of which is their crt, color setting monitor....

if i'm not mistaken, you can span a second monitor on that imac? could be wrong here though

mactastic
Jun 12, 2003, 10:17 AM
If you do a serious amount of graphic work in pallette-heavy apps like macromedia's stuff, I would advise getting something that will allow dual monitor use. As far as i know, you can only duplicate your monitor with an imac, not span it across 2 screens. You might just be better off getting a low end powermac with a CRT monitor for about the same as your iMac. I know I'd go nuts if I couldn't span monitors, but then again I'm using a 15" PB, so screen size is definetly an issue for me. That being said, the iMac will handle all of those tasks flawlessly for you, and then some. Its a gorgeous machine.

medea
Jun 12, 2003, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by devilla101
Do you think it can handle Indesign, Illustrator and Photoshop well enough?

I know it can handle Macromedia apps well enough since I still use that on my win machine which is a PIII 450 with 192Ram

Also can Mac play Mpeg vid files.

I d/l a lot of music video clips on my win machine. All mpeg though. no .mov
I know it can handle those programs well enough, I have an iMac myself (though it is a 15" one.) It's great you would just need to buy more ram for it and that's it.

Kid Red
Jun 12, 2003, 10:44 AM
If you get the iMac make sure you get SuperCal, it's a Calibration utility that calibrates a hell of a lot more then the system prefs do. I used it on my 23" and it's a great screen. The 15" isn't as nice (wife has 15" imac) so I'm not sure if the 17" is just a bigger 15" or a newer tech on the screen. If same as the 15" I'd suggest a dual gig tower with 15"-17" LCD monitor.

.a
Jun 12, 2003, 11:08 AM
it depends how serious you do your graphic design work. if you do not have to calibrate your screen, and you just want to have a good workflow you're doing great with this imac. but be sure you go for this extra memory!
and do not wait for any updated machines, because waiting is not a creative thing!

i use a dual g4 450mhz (1.75GB ram) with dual screen and it is just fine!
i do pro gfx design.
.a