Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Steven Jackson

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 8, 2006
Lincoln, U.K.
Hi,

I am in the process of ripping TV show DVDs into iTunes.

I have been calling my files BlackAdder 1.1, Blackadder 1.2, etc with the first digit being the series (season) number, and the second digit being the episode number. This appears in the Info>Name box in the iTunes Get Info dialogue box.

Under the Video tab I have typed in the Series Name (Blackadder), Season Number, and Episode Number. In the Episode ID box, I have been putting the name of the particular episode ("Goodbyeee", for example).

How will these show up on the Apple TV? Will they be divided into season, or will they all be bunched together but in season-order? What title will I see on my TV screen -- "Blackadder 4.6" or "Goodbyeee"?

I want to get this right before I encode too many video -- it would be a big pain to go back later and re-tag them all.

Cheers,

Steve.

esco

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2005
Myrtle Beach, SC
Your shows' names are taken from the name box, not the episode ID, so the Apple TV will show them as "BlackAdder 1.1" and so on. The Apple TV doesnt' sort sort seasons out like it would on an iPod, which is pretty disappointing. I think it sorts it by doing the latest season first and going down from there.

arcsbite

Jan 14, 2006
google and download a free application called "Lostify"

it's a retagging app makes things REALLY easy and super fast.
will save you a lot of time and effort.

esco

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2005
Myrtle Beach, SC
yeah, Lostify's a really good app. Only downside it has it that it doesn't have batch editing or a queue to edit like Parsley is Atomically Delicious.

Sunrunner

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2003
yeah, Lostify's a really good app. Only downside it has it that it doesn't have batch editing or a queue to edit like Parsley is Atomically Delicious.

I agree, Parsley is Atomically Delicious is currently the best metadata editing program out there for this purpose. It is actually a GUI frontend for "Atomic Parsely", which is a powerful command line app used for that purpose.

You can download PAD here:
http://them.ws/pad/

:cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.