PDA

View Full Version : What to do with my old Xbox?

Ibanez Strummer
Apr 1, 2007, 11:19 AM
Hello!

I currently own 2 old style Xboxes. The first one I got second hand and the cd drive broke after plenty of use. I had enjoyed the console so went out and bought another to replace it and this still works perfectly to date. However, I have just come across the old one clearing stuff out and would like to make some use of it, but have no idea what I can do without a working CD drive?

Any ideas??

Thanks!

sb58
Apr 1, 2007, 11:25 AM
put linux on it?
or even better, make it into a laptop :D

Nicolasdec
Apr 1, 2007, 11:38 AM
sell it on ebay....

islandman
Apr 1, 2007, 11:52 AM
Give it to someone who can't afford a gaming system.

Ibanez Strummer
Apr 1, 2007, 12:12 PM
Give it to someone who can't afford a gaming system.

I know people I could give it to, but surely they would have no use for it either. Without a working CD drive they won't be able to play games on it!

theman5725
Apr 1, 2007, 12:35 PM
You might be able to softmod it, but I'm pretty sure you need a CD drive at least for that part.

zap2
Apr 1, 2007, 12:42 PM
I know people I could give it to, but surely they would have no use for it either. Without a working CD drive they won't be able to play games on it!

Open it up, and replace the DVD drive

JDN
Apr 1, 2007, 01:53 PM
Chip it and put XBMC on it? Use it as a media center type thing.

EM87
Apr 1, 2007, 08:32 PM
Buy a new DVD drive off of eBay for $20 and replace it then mod it.

applefan1997
Apr 1, 2007, 08:41 PM
Install OS X on it.

ModestPenguin
Apr 1, 2007, 09:30 PM
eat it.

throw it at someone?

take it apart and replace the dvd drive.

ninewhereman
Apr 1, 2007, 09:44 PM
Blow it up.

robPOD
Apr 1, 2007, 11:54 PM
Sell it.

bobber205
Apr 2, 2007, 12:01 AM
Mods ftw!

G5Unit
Apr 2, 2007, 12:13 AM
Get people to pay you 400 bucks so you can buy a new one, but in return

BLOW IT UP!

ebouwman
Apr 2, 2007, 12:24 AM
Get people to pay you 400 bucks so you can buy a new one, but in return

BLOW IT UP!

what an exelent idea!

madmax_2069
Apr 2, 2007, 04:00 AM
my friend gave me a old xbox (it didn't work). i opened it up it has the old samsung drive in it. i took a q tip and slightly dampened it with diluted windex. and cleaned the eye on it. i looked more closely under the eye there is a clear shield to protect the laser from dust. with a small knife i lifted the eye up to be able to put a q tip with allot of its stuffing removed in there wetted with the diluted windex. i then repeated the process to make sure it was clean.

i put in a game and it worked. it still had problems reading some games so i took a string and 2 pieces of tape and taped one side of the string ot the center of the disk spindle and the other to the drive sled opposite to the front which has a hole drilled in the exact center of the drive. i also seen there was adjustments for the track for each arm. with the dvd drive case removed and everything all hooked up i turned it on allowing me to see if the laser light met the string but it didnt. so i kept turning it off and back on to get the laser to turn on and kept adjusting it till i seen the laser light was touching the string. now the xbox works flawlessly like it was new.

but be warned you can damage the drive beyond repair by lifting to high on the eye.

there is allot you can do with the xbox, i see a mod to where you take a broken xbox (something that has mobo problems and wont work at all) de solder the memory chips on the broken xbox mobo and put them in the working xbox to give it double ram (128mb ram)

i did a easy mod to mine be removing the stock IDE cables and replace it with 80 wire 40 pin ultra ATA/133 IDE cable and it does improve loading times.

you can turn it into a media center or what have you. there is basicly nothing you cant do with a old xbox. providing you install a mod chip in it ( i helped a friend install one on his and boy was it a PITA to do)

Sdashiki
Apr 2, 2007, 10:05 AM
you can turn it into a media center or what have you. there is basicly nothing you cant do with a old xbox. providing you install a mod chip in it ( i helped a friend install one on his and boy was it a PITA to do)

as long as you arent going to be using XBOX Live, its only 2 wires to solder, along with the pin header of course.

if you replace the DVD drive, it will be much easier to do things as a media centre than without. like reformatting the HDD and/or flashing the modchip, which can and will be a problem at least once. plus, a working drive lets you backup your games without having to find them online and DL/extract/FTP to your XBOX.

A modded XBOX is a thing of beauty, and thats without all the bling bling people like to put into it. If you truly want it to be a media centre, guage your space needs.

How big is your music, gaming, video collection?

Is 400GB too much? Too little?

steelfist
Apr 2, 2007, 11:02 AM
put it in a display case

almightyshoe
Apr 3, 2007, 01:18 PM
Sell it to me.

mrgreen4242
Apr 3, 2007, 03:12 PM
Sell it to me.

I'm selling an XBox over in the Marketplace forum, complete with keyboard/mouse adaptor, two wireless controllers, a wired controller, and a USB cable so you can mod the thing if that's what you want! Plus standard and component cabling. How can you go wrong?

GraceMolloy
Apr 3, 2007, 03:26 PM
One Word ... Thermite ...

Dagless
Apr 3, 2007, 04:22 PM
None of my friends want an Xbox, they all sold theirs, just don't play games anymore or never liked the xbox library. Mine will be going next to my Amiga, NES, classic GB series and Mega Drive in an air tight box for future play. I loved playing with my dads toys when I was a kid so it's probably only right that I do the same for my future kids!

Probably best keeping it till they get 100% b/c on the 360.

Bit funny really, the DC is the only last gen system I still play! And that did crap in the market!

madmax_2069
Apr 3, 2007, 06:00 PM
None of my friends want an Xbox, they all sold theirs, just don't play games anymore or never liked the xbox library. Mine will be going next to my Amiga, NES, classic GB series and Mega Drive in an air tight box for future play. I loved playing with my dads toys when I was a kid so it's probably only right that I do the same for my future kids!

Probably best keeping it till they get 100% b/c on the 360.

Bit funny really, the DC is the only last gen system I still play! And that did crap in the market!

the Dreamcast did better that most people think. it outsold the PS2 at launch and it was starting to outsell the PS2 when they pulled the plug (not total units sold) but it Sega would have not pulled the plug it would have started to gain on them. what killed the Dreamcast was the over hype of the PS2 and its ability to play dvd's , and the Dreamcast lack of good 3rd party developers and sega was hurting for money thanks to the failure of the SEGA cd, 32-X, and saturn, and could not keep up with the Dreamcast.

GraceMolloy
Apr 3, 2007, 09:11 PM
the Dreamcast did better that most people think. it outsold the PS2 at launch and it was starting to outsell the PS2 when they pulled the plug (not total units sold) but it Sega would have not pulled the plug it would have started to gain on them. what killed the Dreamcast was the over hype of the PS2 and its ability to play dvd's , and the Dreamcast lack of good 3rd party developers and sega was hurting for money thanks to the failure of the SEGA cd, 32-X, and saturn, and could not keep up with the Dreamcast.

The DVD player was a big part of it. PS2s were selling like hotcakes in Japan b/c it was one of the least expensive dvd players on the market there.

Damn you Sega and your proprietary disc types!! /*cuddles her Dreamcast*/

SSpiro
Apr 3, 2007, 09:38 PM
Give to me!
I would replace the drive, and then mod the hell out of it.

Mine has 300GB HDD, chip, and avalaunch.. Best money ever spent. LOVE that thing.

Sdashiki
Apr 4, 2007, 09:09 AM

Well lets see, you can play Amiga, NES and all GB and GBA games, plus alot more, on a modded XBOX...so dont relegate it to the dark, dank closet just yet?