PDA

View Full Version : MacRumors.com History

applemacdude
Jun 11, 2003, 09:44 PM
Just courious but what's the history if this website? How did it start? Who started it? Why?...And who was the first member?

arn
Jun 11, 2003, 10:08 PM
Website started in Feb 2000. It started with an early version of PHPSlash... which was a PHP port of Slashdot.

The code wasn't in a very advanced state, and limited comment support was added... but in the end vBulletin was used and implemented in 2001.

I started MacRumors... and it's been a hobby site since it started. I'm not sure what details you're interested in.

The purpose of the site when it started is basically the same as it is today. To track/follow rumors/news on Apple. Lots of rumors appear in non-traditional rumor sites -- mainstream sites, patent applications, etc...

I guess I was the first member. ;)

arn

jefhatfield
Jun 12, 2003, 12:09 AM
...and i was the first post hog, before newer and more prolific post hogs came around:p

mymemory
Jun 12, 2003, 12:17 AM
I was the first venezuelan member and looks like the only latin american interested in Apple computers:rolleyes:

eyelikeart
Jun 12, 2003, 05:01 AM
I was the first to get an avatar... ;)

and to be stalked...

and to be cloned... :eek:

mischief
Jun 12, 2003, 11:40 AM
noteworthy searches by post:

-Pie Fight
-Poop
-DGVPG
-Anti Zealot Campaign
-Smileys
-Drunk
-Censor

Notorious/Banned members:

- Spikey
- samdweck
- shrek
- gocyrus

mymemory
Jun 12, 2003, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by mischief
noteworthy searches by post:

-Pie Fight
-Poop
-DGVPG
-Anti Zealot Campaign
-Smileys
-Drunk
-Censor

Notorious/Banned members:

- Spikey
- samdweck
- shrek
- gocyrus

Sorry, nothing like "miss macrumors" contest:D

hvfsl
Jun 12, 2003, 12:03 PM
What do you have to do to get banned?

TimDaddy
Jun 12, 2003, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by hvfsl
What do you have to do to get banned?

Why? Are you trying?

mactastic
Jun 12, 2003, 12:35 PM
Very cool. I think I first ran across this site in late '01/early'02, and was impressed with it. Very quickly became the first place to check for new mac news/rumors. Then I started realizing how cool the people were.:D :D :D

scem0
Jun 12, 2003, 01:04 PM
And I was the first cool member. No one before me was cool, there was only the dull and the dumb. The history of macrumors starts with me and will end with me.

I make this forum better with my smilies.... which aren't available to me at the moment (I am at scholotzsky's), and my awesome signature

--scem0 (which isn't available to me at the moment - I am at scholotzsky's)

Ahhh , where would macrumors be without me....:o

;)

Kwyjibo
Jun 12, 2003, 04:13 PM
haha such a lie scemo

Ok to get banned you basically need to be annoying and cause extra work for the mods (ie deleting posts) and repeated offensese after being warned causes being suspended.

shadowfax
Jun 12, 2003, 05:15 PM
scem0, how is it not available to you at schlotzky's? all you have to do is find in a previous post, copy its location, and put [img] tags on it in your post. how could you be the first cool or smart member if you didn't know that? :rolleyes:

at any rate, who could forget the geek [sex] thread in all it's wastelanded glory? and how about the funny pictures thread in all of it's shameful ending glory? ah, yes, macrumors history indeed!

Mr. Anderson
Jun 12, 2003, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by mischief
Notorious/Band members:

u cannot forget the travis thread...asking for a laptop... ;)

Sun Baked
Jun 12, 2003, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by scem0
And I was the first cool member. No one before me was cool, there was only the dull and the dumb. The history of macrumors starts with me and will end with me.

I make this forum better with my smilies.... which aren't available to me at the moment (I am at scholotzsky's), and my awesome signature

--scem0 (which isn't available to me at the moment - I am at scholotzsky's)

Ahhh , where would macrumors be without me....:o

;) Does this fit any of the classical definitions of insanity or severe mental illness?

:p

Of course it could just be the ol' pickled brain syndrome...
http://www.superford.org/registry/vehicles/users/793/1380/drunkpenguin.gif

Edit - Gasp, I completely forgot about that Ramen-based Brain Rot rumor going around. :eek: