PDA

View Full Version : Problems installing new HD on PowermacG4

totalimmortal80
Apr 1, 2007, 11:58 AM
I just recently received a PowerMac G4 (my first mac) that I decided I wanted to upgrade. I honestly know nothing about mac, but wanted to try something new, maybe get away from windows for a while (Except my notebook).

Anyway, I tried installing my 200gb maxtor from my PC (formatted with NTFS with both windows xp and a vista BETA installed to dual boot), had the jumper set to slave, tried to boot, and I got what someone in another forum referred to as "The NoBootX" (crossed out circle). Someone in the same forum said to try setting it to cable select, I tried, but I got the same problem.

I tried setting it to slave and using the MacOSX cd to try to use the disk utility, but when I pressed C, it gave me a screen saying I needed to restart, as well as some black bars/white text saying something about a kernel panic.

If anyone can help, please let me know,I'd really like to figure this out and get my drive working. Heh, the one in here I think is a forty gig , and it's close to finished.

KD7IWP
Apr 1, 2007, 12:18 PM
Do you mean the entire drive is formatted to NTFS? If so, you can't put OSX on there. It's not an Intel Mac so there is no way you can run Windows on there unless you run it through Virtual PC or Q for an emulator.
Now, if you want to format that Windows 200gb drive, I would think you would just plug it in as master, pull out the 40gb drive and see if you can get disk utility to run from the Mac OSX disc.
Maybe if you zapped the PRAM it might help? If you have an Apple keyboard, restart the computer while holding  + alt + P + R and wait until you hear the startup chime 3 times before letting go.

totalimmortal80
Apr 1, 2007, 12:21 PM
Oh , no no...I wanted to format the drive and use it for extra storage on this one.

But is what you're saying, about setting it as a master...Set it to master, format it , then put the other back in and set the 200gb to slave?

dex22
Apr 1, 2007, 01:46 PM
Which G4 Powermac do you have? The pre-MDD G4s were limited to <120GB drives - larger drives do work, but only the first 120GB would be visible. If the drive is already partitioned, it'll make no sense to the Mac.

If it's a MDD powermac (or some Quicksilver 2002 edu machines too) it can handle the larger drives with no problems.

Have you tried putting it in an external enclosure?

totalimmortal80
Apr 1, 2007, 01:51 PM
Machine Name: Power Mac G4 (AGP graphics)
Machine Model: PowerMac3,1
CPU Type: PowerPC G4 (2.6)

I guess I could try it in an enclosure. I've been meaning to buy one anyhow , so..Would I need usb 2.0? I don't have a 2.0 card in this one. Has firewire and usb 1.0 though..

CanadaRAM
Apr 1, 2007, 02:17 PM
Get a firewire external case. You really, really don't want USB.
The case will take care of both the 120 Gb issue and the Master/slave issue. Set the drive to Master before installing it into the case.

Lord Blackadder
Apr 1, 2007, 02:20 PM
...Or buy a PCI ATA controller card, if you want to keep the drive inside the G4 box.

totalimmortal80
Apr 1, 2007, 03:18 PM
...Or buy a PCI ATA controller card, if you want to keep the drive inside the G4 box.

Or just run the firewire/usb cord through one of the PCI hole's in the back and stick the case inside the chassis ::shrug:: maybez?

totalimmortal80
Apr 1, 2007, 03:20 PM
On topic of cards...I bought a USB2.0 pci card, and I wasn't thinking at all..still in the windows mindset..to read to the back and make sure it was mac compatible. When I got home before I decided to open it (which I didn't) , it said it was xp, me, and 98se compatible...Is there ANY way to get it to work on the mac? I really don't feel like driving thirty minutes away to return it..

Lord Blackadder
Apr 1, 2007, 03:48 PM
I would return it...as a Mac user for over 15 years I've long been in the habit of checking the sys reqs on hardware I buy...though I remember the day when there was very little in the way of consumer third-party add-ons. These days seem like a bonanza by comparison.

SmurfBoxMasta
Apr 2, 2007, 06:32 AM
On topic of cards...I bought a USB2.0 pci card, and I wasn't thinking at all..still in the windows mindset..to read to the back and make sure it was mac compatible. When I got home before I decided to open it (which I didn't) , it said it was xp, me, and 98se compatible...Is there ANY way to get it to work on the mac? I really don't feel like driving thirty minutes away to return it..

look in the specs, if it says "OHCI" or "EHCI" compliant, it should work notta problemo......USB cards that are as above dont require any extra drivers, they are built-in to OSX. But of course, you'll have to install it to be 100% sure it works :p

totalimmortal80
Apr 2, 2007, 10:56 AM
I may just bring the card back. I don't see anything about the ohci/ehci..I know Sonnett Tech makes loads of stuff for mac, I'm actually buying my new processor from them once I get the money.