PDA

View Full Version : 2 HDD in powerbook, possible?

macintoshxiii
Apr 1, 2007, 11:59 AM
i would like to upgrade my powerbook's hdd 80 gb but yet i am thinking if it is possible to install one more hdd instead of replacing the current hdd. what is the probability of having a hdd say 160 gb < ?

Jasonbot
Apr 1, 2007, 12:06 PM
You can put it in an external drive enclosure but no. 2x HDD's in any laptop :( Not possible, where were you thinking of putting it?

macintoshxiii
Apr 1, 2007, 12:18 PM
so meaning only one hdd? how sad.... any limitation og capacity of hdd?

robbieduncan
Apr 1, 2007, 12:20 PM
The capacity of the harddrive makes no difference. I think there is a company who do a kit that lets you replace the optical drive with a harddrive but that's the only option: there is no empty space in a powerbook

Temujin
Apr 1, 2007, 12:27 PM
You can put it in an external drive enclosure but no. 2x HDD's in any laptop :( Not possible, where were you thinking of putting it?
false

The capacity of the harddrive makes no difference. I think there is a company who do a kit that lets you replace the optical drive with a harddrive but that's the only option: there is no empty space in a powerbook
true (http://www.mcetech.com/optibay/)

macintoshxiii
Apr 1, 2007, 01:48 PM
no empty space? what do you mean? i don't quite get that....

Fearless Leader
Apr 1, 2007, 01:51 PM
no empty space? what do you mean? i don't quite get that....

there isn't a non-used (empty) space in the laptop to fit another drive. (they had a hard enough time getting it as small as it is now. But it would be possible if you got rid of that pesky optical disk.

BigPrince
Apr 1, 2007, 01:52 PM
A powerbook is a notebook computer, so lets just make sure we are talking about the right computer.

Where in the computer would you be interested in putting another hard drive?

Have you opened it up yourself or looked up images on the internets?

Why would Apple leave a 2.5 square inch open space in there notebook computer at that thiness? They used every single 1/4 inch of space in there to make them so thin. I don't even think you could accomplish this in most PC notebook computers.

CanadaRAM
Apr 1, 2007, 02:13 PM
i would like to upgrade my powerbook's hdd 80 gb but yet i am thinking if it is possible to install one more hdd instead of replacing the current hdd. what is the probability of having a hdd say 160 gb < ?

Pretty fuzzy thinking there, my friend.

What you want to do is to replace your Powerbook hard druve with a 160 Gb Hitachi or Seagate IDE (Parallel ATA) drive, and get a nice MacAlly PHR-250CC case to put your old 80 in as a backup/emergency drive.

macintoshxiii
Apr 2, 2007, 12:49 PM
how can i backup my stuff when i need to replace my current 80Gb HDD to a say 160 or even 250GB HDD? How can carbon copy clone be a help? I have read about it but not quite sure as I haven't got a chance to try it out, moreover I have done much setting in customizing my powerbook... does that carbon copy clone help? I just hope to see my powerbook has the same desktop, setting etc after I replace a new HDD to it... possible?

princealfie
Apr 2, 2007, 12:57 PM
Yeah if you have a Wallstreet or Lombard or Pismo G3 then you can have 2 (or even 3) hard drives in at the same time without any trouble! :)

macintoshxiii
Apr 2, 2007, 01:48 PM
i would like to backup my system using carbon copy cloner but i'm not sure how to start and also what do i do when i have my hdd replaced? How do i copy my backup back to my system without installing the etc etc?

macintoshxiii
Apr 2, 2007, 01:53 PM
i would like to backup my system using carbon copy cloner but i'm not sure how to start and also what do i do when i have my hdd replaced? How do i copy my backup back to my system without installing the etc etc?

Jasonbot
Apr 2, 2007, 02:00 PM
I think all you'de need is an external HD enclosure where you can put the new HD in and then copy all the files from the old HD to the new one.

macintoshxiii
Apr 2, 2007, 02:18 PM
in that case i still need to install my applications and etc? that's not my intention.... hence turning to carbon copy cloner.

kgarchar
Apr 3, 2007, 08:48 PM
MCE Tech has a thing where they turn your superdrive into a hard drive bay

http://store.mcetech.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=MTOS&Category_Code=STOROBPBG4

starts at $229 to double your space

mattibek
Apr 3, 2007, 10:41 PM
Which Powerbook do you have? Powerbook is a rather broad statement. Why not just carry around an external HDD? As said earlier yes you can install another HDD if you want to give up your optical drive or in Pismo/Lombard case your optical and battery. I agree that 80GB is not enough these but back up is more important. I say keep the HDD in place and get a 160 GB portable HDD. From the sound of your posts are you sure that you should be changing out hardware?

macintoshxiii, "no empty space? what do you mean? i don't quite get that...."

case in point.