PDA

View Full Version : Steve Jobs and EMI Press Conference - No More DRM?

Pages : [1] 2

MacRumors
Apr 1, 2007, 12:13 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Macworld.co.uk (http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/index.cfm?RSS&newsID=17647) is reporting that Apple and EMI will be hosting a joint announcement on Monday, April 2nd.

The press invite reads:

Please join EMI Group CEO Eric Nicoli at EMI’s headquarters on Monday 2 April at 1pm London/8am New York time to hear about an exciting new digital offering, with special guest, Apple CEO Steve Jobs."

A special live performance from an unannounced artist will also take place.

Late last week, MacRumors had heard rumblings that Steve Jobs and EMI would jointly announce the dropping of Digital Rights Management for EMI's music associated with iTunes. We were unable to confirm, so we were unable to publish, but this invitation certainly adds credence to this story.

EMI has previously been rumored to have been considering dropping Digital Rights Management from their music. Add to this, Steve Jobs (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/02/06/steve-jobs-thoughts-on-music/) plea to the industry to stop forcing Digital Rights Manangement.

Macworld.co.uk speculates that this may also relate to the rumored Beatles / iTunes (http://www.macrumors.com/2006/11/27/beatles-exclusively-on-itunes/) distribution partnership, but no new rumors on this have emerged.

(Note: This story is not an April Fools joke.)

[ Digg This (http://www.digg.com/apple/Steve_Jobs_and_EMI_to_hold_press_conference_Monday) ]

Willis
Apr 1, 2007, 12:16 PM
wow, big news.

if music didnt have DRM, I'd probably buy more of iTunes.. I still like my Cd's though

EDIT... my Name, Intellectual Willis.. thats amazing!!!

Telp
If this is true, Mazel Tov Steve Jobs, and nice work. This could be a huge step foward in the music industry.

evilgEEk
It's a good thing you put the "Note:" on the end, because this would surely be thought of an April Fool's Joke.

But if this is true it's great!

Maybe it will inspire others to follow suit.

Max Payne
Great news for all music fans.

cheunghy
Apr 1, 2007, 12:19 PM
How about DRM-less + the rumored Apple Lossless encoding?

Though it's nothing related to me... There is no iTunes Store here in Hong Kong...

orkle
Amazing. The next thing is for them to start offering downloads in a lossless format, then I'm there!

Telp
It's a good thing you put the "Note:" on the end, because this would surely be thought of an April Fool's Joke.

But if this is true it's great!

Maybe it will inspire others to follow suit.

Wouldn't that be a hoot!

cr2sh
Apr 1, 2007, 12:20 PM
*YAWN....*

Apple DRM has been the reason I've lately topped buying music off itunes lately.

This is a welcome change.

Montserrat
Apr 1, 2007, 12:20 PM
Woohoo - sent the MacWorld link to MR AIM thingy - don't know if I got there first.
BBC also picked it up pretty sharpish
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/6516189.stm

I would definitely buy more iTunes if they were DRM free. I like to fish out random tracks to DJ with on Traktor, but then have to go to places like bleep.com or go and buy/order the physical cd. Can be **** having to buy the CD when the artist in question has only released a couple of tracks which are hidden away on random compilations, when you only like a couple of the tracks on the whole compilation. Would be nice to be able to pick out tracks then put them in Traktor. Think it might turn into a spending spree though...

P.S I was concierge Montserrat a moment ago. What happened? I kinda liked it, particularly after having just watched a documentary on pre-revolution France...

Edit - concierge is back :)

BilltheCat
Apr 1, 2007, 12:23 PM
makes me want to go buy something from iTunes to celebrate!

Fuchal
Apr 1, 2007, 12:23 PM
http://www.nme.com/news/27466

The Beatles' music finally set for download release?
Apple and EMI set for major announcement tomorrow
2 hours ago

Speculation is mounting that The Beatles' back catalogue will finally become available to download.

Apple have called a press conference at the EMI label headquarters in London tomorrow (April 2), where boss Steve Jobs will make a major announcement about iTunes.

The Beatles and Apple recently settled a long-running legal dispute over use of the Apple brand name, clearing the way for a deal to be struck over the digital release of their music. Since EMI control the band's catalogue, insiders are predicting that a deal between the two will be announced tomorrow.

The Beatles music has never been available to legally download before.

Recent changes in chart rules allowing downloads to count towards the singles chart have prompted speculation that when it is available, the band's music could dominate the UK Top 40.

Depending on the details of tomorrow's news, this could now happen as early as next Sunday (April 8). There is also speculation that the announcement could include information about the European launch of Apple's latest MP3 playing gadget, the iPhone, which is set to make its US debut this summer.

Come back to NME.COM tomorrow for full details of Jobs' speech.

Peace
Apr 1, 2007, 12:24 PM
This could have something to do with dropping DRM from EMI's offerings but the kicker is there is an unannounced special musical group or something to that effect.

Could be BOTH DRM and Beatles.

Cougarcat
Apr 1, 2007, 12:27 PM
I'm more inclined to believe that this is a Beatles announcement, like the BBC article suggests. "New digital offering" sounds like new music. Plus I don't think apple will go DRM-free for one record group because iTunes would lose some of its consistency and make things too confusing.

ppc_michael
Apr 1, 2007, 12:29 PM
I hope they add an option to remove DRM from previously purchased music!!

Montserrat
Apr 1, 2007, 12:32 PM
I'm more inclined to believe that this is a Beatles announcement, like the BBC article suggests. "New digital offering" sounds like new music. Plus I don't think apple will go DRM-free for one record group because iTunes would lose some of its consistency and make things too confusing.

I'm inclined to agree. Would be nice if it were both, but I bet they just get some band/artist from the EMI roster doing a cover of a Beatles tune or two. Either that or wheel out Paul McCartney (though I heard he was signed to Starbucks' label) to bash a couple of oldies out.

With the DRM issue - they could have little DRM flags next to the tracks - kinda like the "Explicit" ones now. That would also put a bit of pressure on the DRM-insistent labels to change their tune. (No pun intended - honestly)

QCassidy352

me too! Even if it only from this point forward, though, that'll be ok.

johnee
let me understand this, without DRM, I can copy the song and play it on any machine?

But the Beatles thing is true.

Eraserhead
Apr 1, 2007, 12:34 PM
Plus I don't think apple will go DRM-free for one record group because iTunes would lose some of its consistency and make things too confusing.

Exactly, Beatles sounds plausible, there's too much money in making them digitally available. Though DRM free could be done at the same time I doubt it, iTunes have just got the "buy rest of the album" feature.

Yvan256
Apr 1, 2007, 12:34 PM
I also hope they either remove the DRM from already purchased music or allow us to download it again without DRM.

However, IMHO this is only one of the three missing things:
- remove DRM (EMI now, other labels later?)
- Apple Lossless (so there is no quality choice between a CD and iTunes Store)
- Worldwide stores (there's absolutely no technical reason for not being able to buy music from other countries)

edit: what's with the user name prefixes?!
edit2: I guess it's an April Fool thing... :rolleyes:

Montserrat
Apr 1, 2007, 12:35 PM

That would be sweet. I currently have a playlist of iTunes music that I have to burn and re-import before I can use it in Traktor, so DRM removal from previously purchased songs would make my day.

Copland
Apr 1, 2007, 12:36 PM
Hey, that would be awesome!

Out of curiosity, who does EMI have? I mean... what artists' music would be covered in a non-DRM agreement?

hob
Apr 1, 2007, 12:38 PM
I've always wondered... what do you have to do / who do you have to be to get invited to these things?

I'd like to go take some photographs...

applekid
Apr 1, 2007, 12:39 PM
1 record company down... 3 more to go. And the indies of course.

I assume the DRM for EMI will be de-activated for previous purchases, too. Or maybe, iTunes will scan and kill the DRM on affected songs.

nagromme
Apr 1, 2007, 12:41 PM
If removal of DRM is what this announcement is about, don't be too shocked if EMI only goes as far as a small toe in the water. Like some older songs without DRM, or something like that. I'd be amazed if they could be persuaded to go whole-hog.

Still, every step is a good thing.

And if that IS what this is, then Jobs' "thoughts on music" was not all hot air and bluffing, and DRM really IS the idea of the recording industry and not something Apple themselves pushed for. (Surprise, surprise. But some don't seem to know that the industry demanded DRM, and Apple had to comply or there'd be no iTMS.)

(THe Beatles thing almost sounds more likely though. Talking about no DRM is easy, and I know EMI has been doing that, but EMI actually acting on it is another matter.)

Peace
Apr 1, 2007, 12:42 PM
Here ya go kids :

Listen in to the press conference

http://www.emigroup.com/

8AM NY. time

1PM London Time

http://news.com.com/2061-10799_3-6172341.html?part=rss&tag=2547-1_3-0-20&subj=news

Montserrat
Apr 1, 2007, 12:43 PM
1 record company down... 3 more to go. And the indies of course.

I assume the DRM for EMI will be de-activated for previous purchases, too. Or maybe, iTunes will scan and kill the DRM on affected songs.

I think most the indies are pretty keen on DRM-free, so if this is a DRM announcement, I wouldn't be surprised if they were in the first wave

Monty Pavement
Apr 1, 2007, 12:47 PM
G5 Powerbooks, for sure ...

BoyBach
Apr 1, 2007, 12:47 PM
If Apple and EMI really do announce that they're removing DRM from their music on the iTunes Music Store it would send shockwaves throughout their industries - music, movies and tech.

But it's probably going to be an announcement regarding The Beatles.

Stella
Apr 1, 2007, 12:49 PM
Once one music company goes non DRM and reaps the benefit then this will start a bandwagon of others coming on board with dropping DRM.

Non DRM benefits the customer as a whole - no restrictions on where music can be played or on what device. Non DRM = more sales = happy music industry = digital music maturing.

If EMI are indeed dropping DRM then they should be congratulated.

However, Indy companies don't want DRM and Apple should be dropping DRM on these now, instead of waiting for major music companies.

SJ talk on DRM is easy - action is more difficult and what should be judged upon.

Westside guy
Apr 1, 2007, 12:50 PM
http://www.nme.com/news/27466

The Beatles' music finally set for download release?
Apple and EMI set for major announcement tomorrow
2 hours ago

Funny how it took so many posts to even mention the Beatles, even though the linked story doesn't mention DRM at all...

The DRM "rumor" sounds more like wishful thinking.

belovedmonster
Apr 1, 2007, 12:52 PM
Everyone mentioning the Apple lossless thing got me thinking... People have long stated that it was surely in Apples own interest to keep DRM because it locks you into the iPod, but if they removed DRM but made songs Apple lossless at the same time wouldn't that still keep you locked into the iPod?

AppleMan101
Apr 1, 2007, 12:55 PM
G5 Powerbooks, for sure ...

Cheers, you made my day!

AppleMan101
Apr 1, 2007, 12:56 PM
Everyone mentioning the Apple lossless thing got me thinking... People have long stated that it was surely in Apples own interest to keep DRM because it locks you into the iPod, but if they removed DRM but made songs Apple lossless at the same time wouldn't that still keep you locked into the iPod?

But you could easily re-encode from lossless without DRM to whatever you wanted...

Mac Rules
Apr 1, 2007, 12:57 PM
I really hope this is the end for DRM and the start of the Beatles!!!

C'mon Steve, blow us away!

Stella
Apr 1, 2007, 12:59 PM

Consumer lock in is very rarely a good thing and the iPod lock in is negative too.

RichP
Apr 1, 2007, 01:00 PM
My vote:

We see the START of DRM-Free music WITH the Beatles Catalog. Face it, Beatles music is part of our global (western anyway) culture, and using the Beatles catalog as a starting point/testing the waters for DRM-free would be pretty low risk.

Mgkwho
Apr 1, 2007, 01:02 PM
Thanks for adding the "(Note: This story is not an April Fools joke.)"! Skepticism is a bit high today.

I'm going with the Beatles announcement. I'd forgotten about it when predicting Apple's releases for the next few months!

It feels out of place, though, being on a Monday. :P

-=|Mgkwho

abrooks
Apr 1, 2007, 01:04 PM
I've always wondered... what do you have to do / who do you have to be to get invited to these things?

I'd like to go take some photographs...

Be a member of the mainstream media, and/or be on EMI's press listings.

MrCrowbar
Apr 1, 2007, 01:07 PM
Wow, Steve really has power in the music industry. Germany instantly dropped copy protection on Audio CDs after Steve's note on DRM. No more CDs that will play at home, but not in your car stereo because it's not compatible with the CD's copy protection.

EDIT: Sweet. I'm "wicked" now. Wickeeed! :)

mikes63737
Apr 1, 2007, 01:11 PM
This would be great.

Mgkwho
Apr 1, 2007, 01:12 PM
http://digg.com/apple/Steve_Jobs_and_EMI_Press_Conference_on_Monday

whoops! That one was 4 minutes too late. http://www.digg.com/apple/Steve_Jobs_and_EMI_to_hold_press_conference_Monday is the macrumors one.

-=|Mgkwho

thunderclap
Apr 1, 2007, 01:12 PM
If this is indeed true I hope those of us who have purchased iTunes music will either be able to re-download without the DRM OR Apple should release a utility that removes it from songs already purchased.

PowerBook User
Apr 1, 2007, 01:14 PM
Imagine if EMI and all the indie bands stopped using DRM. The other record companies would almost certainly have to follow. Otherwise they would likely have some angry consumers! I hope this is indeed the announcement. I would definitely buy more music off of iTunes.

Moonlight
Apr 1, 2007, 01:15 PM
Are we SURE it is not an april fools joke ??

Peace
Apr 1, 2007, 01:16 PM
Are we SURE it is not an april fools joke ??

http://news.com.com/2061-10799_3-6172341.html?part=rss&tag=2547-1_3-0-20&subj=news

CNET News say's it isn't.

Chris Bangle
Apr 1, 2007, 01:17 PM
must be something big for steve to be in London.

daze
Apr 1, 2007, 01:19 PM
Hope I am wrong, but I don't think EMI or anyone else is ready to drop DRM just yet.

MonkeyClaw
Apr 1, 2007, 01:19 PM
That would be awesome to have them announce the Beatles and have Paul and Ringo play as a special live guest. They said a live performance would occur so who knows...

CanadaRAM
Apr 1, 2007, 01:22 PM
- Worldwide stores (there's absolutely no technical reason for not being able to buy music from other countries)

There are excellent reasons not to have worldwide open sales -- the rights to one song in different countries are often owned by different entities -- and cannot be licensed or sold on a worldwide basis by one entity.

It would be like if you had paid for and established a Mercedes-Benz dealership in your town, and then Mercedes announces on April 2 that any Hyundai and Ford dealer can also sell new Mercedes and parts and do factory service.

Westside guy
Apr 1, 2007, 01:22 PM
Face it, Beatles music is part of our global (western anyway) culture, and using the Beatles catalog as a starting point/testing the waters for DRM-free would be pretty low risk.

There could be a problem, though. I will be surprised if the Beatles sell very well, with or without DRM - the real fans already have their music, and a LOT of younger folks don't even know who they are (seriously). If the Beatles become the test case for DRM-free music, I can see the music companies saying "See, we did exactly what Steve Jobs asked for... and we're not getting anything out of it! Sales are still low. BTW we're suing an 11-year-old autistic child for copyright infringement this week."

Ghibli
Apr 1, 2007, 01:25 PM
http://digg.com/apple/Steve_Jobs_and_EMI_Press_Conference_on_Monday

-=|Mgkwho

According to the article on Digg:

"Apple CEO Steve Jobs will appear at a joint EMI and Apple press conference on Monday 2 April at 1pm. Jobs will join EMI CEO Eric Nicoli at the event, which takes place at EMI's London headquarters, according to invitations from the music company distributed to journalists on the afternoon of Sunday 1 April."

It may be an April Fool from EMI and/or Apple...

Although I hope it is real (mainly about the DRM thing...)

LagunaSol
Apr 1, 2007, 01:28 PM
How about DRM-less + the rumored Apple Lossless encoding?

This is all I've been waiting for. The day Apple announces this combo, I'll drop $100 on tunes, easy.

Mgkwho
Arn said it wasn't either.

-=|Mgkwho

Peace

"Apple CEO Steve Jobs will appear at a joint EMI and Apple press conference on Monday 2 April at 1pm. Jobs will join EMI CEO Eric Nicoli at the event, which takes place at EMI's London headquarters, according to invitations from the music company distributed to journalists on the afternoon of Sunday 1 April."

From the CNET link I posted :

"UPDATE: An EMI spokesman confirmed that this is not a mean April Fool's Day prank, but declined to comment on whether the Beatles have anything to do with it."

darh
Apr 1, 2007, 01:29 PM

I don't think it's an April Fool joke of one companies. But, isn't it a bit late to send out inventations? Escpecially on a sunday?

emaja
Very interesting. I guess we will just have to see.

sconnor99
It's the Beatles and it's nothing to do with DRM at all!

I know DRM isn't popular but it got the industry into the download market and that has to be a good thing.

hashkey
Apr 1, 2007, 01:32 PM
If The Beatles are going to release to iTunes any time soon- it's probably in the next couple of weeks- they marked Sgt. Peppers' 20th anniversary with the CD release, got huge exposure (It was twenty years ago today... etc) and sold tons of CDs. That was twenty years ago on June 1st. Not rocket science to pull that off a second time. (OK, we could split hairs 'cause it'll have been forty years ago...)

There are other albums that came before Peppers' which will probably come in the weeks ahead. They aren't likely to drop them all at once.

DRM as well as the Beatles? It's unlikely as Apple Corps are very conservative (very late to the game with both CD and downloads) and protective of their property- EMI have certainly made anti-DRM noises recently but Apple Corps singing the same song would be a big surprise. Hope I'm wrong.

And in case anyone thinks this isn't a big deal- go and check what the best selling CD of the decade to date is...

J Radical
Apr 1, 2007, 01:34 PM
If DRM was dropped this would be huge news for the industry, and I'd have to give props to steve jobs. Hopefully the other labels would follow.

What would the impact on iTunes be? It might encourage more users if it is a iTunes only deal- but its hard to imagine that kind of exclusivity.

I hope they next thing they drop is the price!

EagerDragon
Apr 1, 2007, 01:34 PM
I could care less about the Beatles on iTunes, I already have their music.

However DRM free music I would be interested in, if it cost the same.

BWhaler
Apr 1, 2007, 01:37 PM
I too have stopped buying from the itunes store--after spending about $10,000.

iTunes music was great for me--convienent, purchase by the song or by the album, etc--when it was just an iPod world.

But now that digital music is getting played through home theaters, good headphones, good car speaks, the quality of iTunes music is just not acceptible. Far from it, in fact.

Plus, DRM is a joke which is just no longer funny. (Although I know this is not Apple's fault)

My hope for Monday is Jobs announces the ability to download music in AppleLossless, and the ability FOR CHEAP to upgrade existing purchases to the better quality.

That move, especially the ability to upgrade current purchases for free or for very, very cheap, would make me start purchasing again.

Until, then, I am back to being an Amazon and Netflix guy, which is a shame since I would rather buy from Apple and would prefer to download my content.

EagerDragon
Apr 1, 2007, 01:40 PM

Lets see ......
1) Hell has freezed over,
2) Pigs already fly

ummmm

When politicians speak the truth?
When rich and poor get the same justice in court?

Nah

When politicians speak the truth in frozen hell about the pigs that fly.

Yea, that is.

Billy Boo Bob
Apr 1, 2007, 01:41 PM
Yeah. DRM-Free would be a real jam. If EMI starts it, the others would have to follow soon, since EMI music would outsell the others by huge factors.

Peace
Apr 1, 2007, 01:43 PM
BTW..
According to the RIAA..

The top selling artist of all time is The Beatles (http://www.riaa.com/gp/bestsellers/topartists.asp)

Rocketman
I was under the impression EMI was leading the way to DRM free music, not being "persuaded" into it. iTunes and Steve may have some sort of karmic preference for non-DRM, but as a matter of commerce, iTunes will have to offer DRM for those publishers who insist on it, and non-DRM for those that prefer that. I suspect as a nudge, Apple will offer "superior" formats only in non-DRM format. This seems to be heading toward streaming and signaling to mass-quantities of "approved" client boxes with far less "decryption" of the signal itself, lowering the cost and compute overhead of the client device.

I am glad this was tagged not 4-1.

But I am a bit scared to see how my name gets munged. I wonder if the avatar will be set to crash or something.

Rocketman (real name for reference)

Sky Blue
Seems more likely to be Beatles than anything else.. Ringo will sing Yellow Submarine..:)

EagerDragon
Apr 1, 2007, 01:46 PM
Once one music company goes non DRM and reaps the benefit then this will start a bandwagon of others coming on board with dropping DRM.

Non DRM benefits the customer as a whole - no restrictions on where music can be played or on what device. Non DRM = more sales = happy music industry = digital music maturing.

If EMI are indeed dropping DRM then they should be congratulated.

However, Indy companies don't want DRM and Apple should be dropping DRM on these now, instead of waiting for major music companies.

SJ talk on DRM is easy - action is more difficult and what should be judged upon.

Lets have DRM free music and bring the RIAA on charges under RICO. Now that would be sweet.

Westside guy
Apr 1, 2007, 01:51 PM
2) Pigs already fly

Sorry, but this is a Beatles announcement, not Pink Floyd. :D

Apr 1, 2007, 01:53 PM
I think people are getting carried away. I'm sure the announcement is only about The Beatles being on iTunes. If EMI make their music DRM-free, people should think of that as a bonus. As for lossless, I VERY much doubt that will happen.

I expect a lot of negatives for the topic which tells us what the announcement is about.

mrrory
Apr 1, 2007, 01:54 PM
The DRM doesn't really bother me too much. I'm very much a mac user, I have a couple of iPods, and about 6 macs I use regularly, and it hasn't proved to be too much of a problem.

This is a sincere question: What's the angle for Apple dropping DRM? Is it to open up to other music players other than the iPod, or is it to try and blaze a trail for other companies to drop their DRMs so we all live a little more "open source" style?

Isn't it more likely that we'll see a resurgence of Napster-style music sharing if DRMs are dropped? I mean it's not exactly difficult to burn a CD of DRM'd content and re-rip it to remove the DRM, but if the files are bought open again I can only imagine we'll see an increase in file sharing again.

I don't really have a strong opinion either way, just wondered what other people's take on it was...

surferfromuk
Apr 1, 2007, 01:57 PM
No No...You got it all wrong...

It's the buyout!!!. Apple are buying EMI..

They are the perfect complementary business partner if Apple are to become the 'new Sony'. Apple will own The Beatles, just as they have always owned The Beatles. Yes, they will be available exlusively on iTunes - forever!

This is also why Warner made a 'last ditch attempt to buy just recently' and why EMI rejected it - the deal was already 'in the bag'...

You will now see that the Apple Computer Inc becoming Apple Inc makes complete and perfect sense.

;)

(phhew imagine what would happen to Apple shares on Monday if this were true!)

Still The Beatles catalog is still mighty impressive!.

Doctor Q
Apr 1, 2007, 02:03 PM
To drop DRM for one record label, would Apple have to change iTunes or just deliver certain downloads as m4a's instead of m4p's?

I suspect that it would break some Smart Folders and AppleScripts that identify purchased music by looking for Protected AACs.

BobbyDigital
Apr 1, 2007, 02:07 PM
Hmm... I wonder what this is about? it would need to be good to warrant an appearance by Steve Jobs.

surferfromuk
Apr 1, 2007, 02:13 PM
Hmm... I wonder what this is about? it would need to be good to warrant an appearance by Steve Jobs.

I would say a tie up involving Apple and the greatest rock group of all time would be 'good enough' for Steve...you know there is no greater prize...

c-Row
Apr 1, 2007, 02:16 PM
I don't care about the Beatles too much, but lossless iTMS purchases would be cool - but that won't happen tomorrow. ;)

Diatribe
Apr 1, 2007, 02:18 PM
If removal of DRM is what this announcement is about, don't be too shocked if EMI only goes as far as a small toe in the water. Like some older songs without DRM, or something like that. I'd be amazed if they could be persuaded to go whole-hog.

Still, every step is a good thing.

And if that IS what this is, then Jobs' "thoughts on music" was not all hot air and bluffing, and DRM really IS the idea of the recording industry and not something Apple themselves pushed for. (Surprise, surprise. But some don't seem to know that the industry demanded DRM, and Apple had to comply or there'd be no iTMS.)

(THe Beatles thing almost sounds more likely though. Talking about no DRM is easy, and I know EMI has been doing that, but EMI actually acting on it is another matter.)

I guess we will see, but having Jobs make a speech can only mean something bigger than just a Beatles release. I don't think Jobs would be there just for the Beatles.

Peace
Apr 1, 2007, 02:22 PM
If EMI drops DRM here's what they could offer :

Artists under the EMI umbrella

http://www.emigroup.com/About/Music/Default.htm

GroundLoop
Apr 1, 2007, 02:23 PM
My guess is that this is a Beatles announcement only. That's not saying that I would LOVE to see an announcement about DRM-free downloads.

Hickman

ps - D.J. Brian Hickman...interesting considering that I was a DJ at the Chameleon Club when I was in college.

mixel
Apr 1, 2007, 02:23 PM
Yay! Beatles and no DRM would both be big news..

DRM/no DRM wouldnt really make any difference to my usage of itunes/ipods etc, but I'd be v happy to see the end of it anyway. :)

[ed]... I want to keep the name..!

iGav
Apr 1, 2007, 02:26 PM
Steve Jobs is in the house. Let me hear you say ah yeah! I wanna hear you say ah yeah! :D

markie
Apr 1, 2007, 02:29 PM
DRM free would be nice but I highly doubt it LOL!

surferfromuk
Apr 1, 2007, 02:29 PM
I don't care about the Beatles too much

You will, one day - it comes to us all ; and then the years of denial will be replaced by such sweetness and joy - now with the added bonus of being able to download them from iTunes.

P.S : try the white album -it'll blow you away :)

geerlingguy
Apr 1, 2007, 02:36 PM
DRM Free will happen before Lossless, and here's why:

1. Lossless files are more than five times larger than AAC files; Apple would immediately have to deal with literally 5 times the bandwidth, storage, backup, and server capacity. That's a heck of a lot of money right now. But, as prices on such things naturally goes down over time, Apple may see fit to go to lossless.

2. Most, if not all, of the current catalogue of music is already only encoded in AAC. The 'iTunes Producer' only sends Apple a copy of the AAC for sale on the iTunes Store; as far as I can tell, Apple simply doesn't have high-quality/CD-quality files for every (or even half) the iTunes Store songs. Remember: Apple doesn't do the encoding. That would increase Apple's costs and take too much time.

[edit: Why the heck am I 'bashful'??? Couldn't I have gotten a cooler name prefix?]

nateDEEZY
Apr 1, 2007, 02:38 PM
Well now, all we need is better quality music in iTunes, gooo apple lossless xD

Di9it8
Apr 1, 2007, 02:43 PM
DRM free would be nice but I highly doubt it LOL!
Theres no DRM on most Cds so it is probably the launch of DRM free iTunes:D

Mgkwho
Apr 1, 2007, 02:48 PM

But that's still specific to EMI.

Not many new movie studios have been added to iTunes, so we'll see if a similar thing happens IF DRM-free first comes from EMI.

-=|Mgkwho

firewire2001
Apr 1, 2007, 02:59 PM
Hahahhahahhaha! April Fools! Nice try, you almost got me when you said "This isn't an April Fools Story" Priceless!

EricNau
Apr 1, 2007, 03:00 PM
Isn't Apple Lossless a proprietary format?

IF Apple dropped DRM and offered songs in Apple Lossless (and this is a big if), would we be any better off? Wouldn't we still need iTunes or Quicktime to play the songs?

Apr 1, 2007, 03:00 PM
Tomorrow's announcement will confirm iTMS as the world's biggest store for the next 10 years...Microsoft is DEAD.

miketcool
Apr 1, 2007, 03:01 PM

This will be the first phase is EMI steps up to the plate. Its going to be tough convincing the rest, but it was all going to go here eventually.
With threats of HD/DVD and Blu-Ray wanting to lock movies to their home player, it will be interesting to see if this move by EMI eventually influences the unlocking of all video content. This news surely reaches out into every niche in the digital world.

And yes, I am working toward being infamous...

mcmadhatter
Apr 1, 2007, 03:04 PM
April Fools!!!!!!

only joking, I wonder how amny beatles tunes will be in the top ten though?

c-Row
Apr 1, 2007, 03:05 PM
You will, one day - it comes to us all ; and then the years of denial will be replaced by such sweetness and joy - now with the added bonus of being able to download them from iTunes.

P.S : try the white album -it'll blow you away :)

Don't get me wrong, I know the Beatles and I enjoy many of their songs. Eleanor Rigby is one of my all-time favourites, as is the complete Yellow Submarine soundtrack (and movie), but they are not that high on my I-want-to-get-these-on-iTMS priority list... ;)

I certainly see the potential, though!

ReMaDi
Apr 1, 2007, 03:07 PM
Oh no… can you imagine the bitching and whining tomorrow?

Because there will be only a Beatles anouncement. Think: DRM-free music will be a "silent change". Apple certainly don't want their customers sensitized to the DRM-issue or alienated to the rest of their catalog, only a small percent of nerdy users do care (or even know) about it, and if Apple would market DRM-free as a good thing the sales of the other labels who use Fair-play would tank. And with it the total iTunes sales. They wouldn't celebrate that with a band!

Such events are purely for marketing. I bet on The Beatles.

mi5moav
Apr 1, 2007, 03:08 PM
Looks real on engadget and http://iphoneblogger.blogspot.com/2007/04/blog-post.html

mooty
Apr 1, 2007, 03:12 PM
This isn't fake. I work at EMI and the announcement is at my office. We were told last week that it was happening, however not told the content of the announcement.

I personally don't think its Beatles related, but we'll see!

philbeeney
Apr 1, 2007, 03:18 PM
Hahahhahahhaha! April Fools! Nice try, you almost got me when you said "This isn't an April Fools Story" Priceless!

The timing of this announcement must be amusing Steve Jobs. Is it true or is it not.?

Whatever happens, Apple have created some free marketing out of it.

surferfromuk
Apr 1, 2007, 03:20 PM
This isn't fake. I work at EMI and the announcement is at my office. We were told last week that it was happening, however not told the content of the announcement.

now now, be honest - do you really work at EMI ??? - it's just not cricket to perpetuate an April fools joke!!!....I am slightly concerned at the lack of a press announcement on EMI's site and the fact that such a 'release' is made on a sunday!!...oh and yeah and one more thing - it's april 1st...

that said - if it's true and you say it's not directly at least Beatles related then I'm definately laying odds on an Apple EMI takeover...that would be tres cool!...

Ghibli
Apr 1, 2007, 03:22 PM

<SNIP>

(phhew imagine what would happen to Apple shares on Monday if this were true!)

Financially speaking, Apple could be buying EMI. Apple's market cap is about 20 times that of Emi...

mooty
Apr 1, 2007, 03:24 PM
now now, be honest - do you really work at EMI ??? - it's just not cricket to perpetuate an April fools joke!!!....I am slightly concerned at the lack of a press announcement on EMI's site and the fact that such a 'release' is made on a sunday!!...oh and yeah and one more thing - it's april 1st...

that said - if it's true and you say it's not directly at least Beatles related then I'm definately laying odds on an Apple EMI takeover...that would be tres cool!...

I work at EMI. Can't say more than that.

I have no idea what this could possibly be (we were told less than you know now), however the press release (look on BBC News) links to a new digital release... DRM or Beatles.

JNB
Apr 1, 2007, 03:26 PM
"I'm a ********** artist! I'm senstive as ******! If I could be a fisherman I would, but I can't, because I'm a ********** genius!!

I was the walrus! Paul wasn't the walrus! I was just saying that to be nice!"

Genius is Pain

winstano
Apr 1, 2007, 03:32 PM
Without meaning to raise any hopes, I was fortunate enough to have a meeting at university with 2 representatives from EMI and one from the IFPI last week. (They were holding a guest lecture and we had them for an hour to answer questions relating to our dissertations)

The final thing that was asked was "Do you see the DRM structure being the same in the market in 5 years time?"

The answer (from all 3 reps) was a categorical "no"... And the looks on the EMI peoples' faces was a slightly confusing one... We'd talked about iTunes for a while during our session, and mentioned the possibility of watermarking instead of locked files... This would certainly explain a lot...

liketom
Apr 1, 2007, 03:32 PM
Beatles Smeatles give us Movie's Apple!

Seems such a waste if Steve's flying all this way to be in London and not introduce Movies to the UK iTunes Store among other things.

Chris Bangle
Apr 1, 2007, 03:39 PM

Seems such a waste if Steve's flying all this way to be in London and not introduce Movies to the UK iTunes Store among other things.

exactly my point. maybe not movies but hopefully tv shows

CommodityFetish
Apr 1, 2007, 03:42 PM
With the DRM issue - they could have little DRM flags next to the tracks - kinda like the "Explicit" ones now. That would also put a bit of pressure on the DRM-insistent labels to change their tune. (No pun intended - honestly)

I agree - I've never understood the "consistency" argument. Pricing, maybe, but this? If Apple's serious about pushing this they're likely going to have to do it for part of the catalog until others come along. So why aren't they already offering DRM-Less music for the Indies who are ok with it? (unless the labels have them roped into some contractual obligation.)

If this is EMI going DRM-less (which would be kind of a stretch), I wouldn't be surprised if Steve's "Thoughts on Music" were not the instigator of this, but him responding to rumblings from the labels. Then when they did do it, he could say - "see, that was my idea." A kind of preemptive strike, if you will.

In any case, it will be good news. Lossless AND DRM-less would be the real deal... Sooner or later folks, get it together...

winstano
Apr 1, 2007, 03:45 PM
If this is EMI going DRM-less (which would be kind of a stretch)

Believe me, it's not as much of a stretch as many people think... They've been looking into alternative systems for quite a while now... It's just a matter of implementation from what I could gather...

surferfromuk
Apr 1, 2007, 03:48 PM
Financially speaking, Apple could be buying EMI. Apple's market cap is about 20 times that of Emi...

Let’s do the math...EMI world’s largest independent Music Company ;
Currently they’re saying Digital sales represents £74million revenue. EMI operating profit last year £250 million
Let’s say their full catalog on iTunes exclusively would represent 20% of sales and 20% of iTunes sales...
So that means 2 billion songs downloaded and accelerating - Apple get’s 400 million in revenue? and let’s say speculatively year on year growth achieves 2 billion sales a year next year....so let’s say 400milion a year...add that to the £250million EMI operation profit and you have a deal quite easily worth potentially £650million profit a year to Apple - and slightly more it opens the doors to other deals and other media company opportunities. They really may become the biggest digital media company in the world within 5 years!..
On that reckoning they should easily pay for the EMI deal within 4 years. Not bad going in this day! Buy a ‘company with your own money’ over 4 years!!

Rocketman
Apr 1, 2007, 03:51 PM

Post the HD webcam stream :)

Rocketman

SheriffParker
Apr 1, 2007, 03:54 PM
awesome possum! But I'm in the lossless camp before I'll start buying from iTunes instead of CDs. DRM-free sounds real nice though.

twoodcc
Apr 1, 2007, 03:55 PM
wow, this is big news. very interesting...

rockstarjoe
Apr 1, 2007, 03:58 PM
My guess is that this is just Beatles related. Remember they are not just releasing their digital catalogue, but all of the albums are supposed to be remastered (which personally I am really, really looking forward to).

As for DRM, it would be awesome if it was true. I would guess that they would only start with the Beatles, and then slowly roll out DRM-free to other artists if they deem it "successful".

StuPidQPid
Apr 1, 2007, 04:07 PM
I was always told it was bad luck to play an April Fools joke after 12 o'clock, and this announcement was well after that :)

For Steve to fly out to London specially would require some pretty big news...

hvfsl
Apr 1, 2007, 04:21 PM
Well I would just like to say a few things:
1) I don't really care since I remove the DRM from all my iTunes downloads anyway using QTFairuse.
2) I hope it is more than just no DRM. Hopefully they will also be announcing video downloads in other countries and maybe even HD downloads (now that the AppleTV is out and supports 720p).

surferfromuk
Apr 1, 2007, 04:22 PM

So that would mean Steve's boarding the plane just about...now!!

'Anything to declare Mr Jobs'

"no, just a couple of turtlenecks and an unlicensed iphone..."

winstano
Apr 1, 2007, 04:23 PM
Well I would just like to say a few things:
1) I don't really care since I remove the DRM from all my iTunes downloads anyway using QTFairuse.
2) I hope it is more than just no DRM. Hopefully they will also be announcing video downloads in other countries and maybe even HD downloads (now that the AppleTV is out and supports 720p).

Why would Steve Jobs be meeting with EMI (music people) to announce movies??

kcroy
Apr 1, 2007, 04:23 PM
Here's my guess...

iPod pricing recently dropped in the UK. Beatles announcemnt screams for a thematic iPod. (They did one for Harry Potter for crying out loud. I like the books, but a thematic ipod????) I've heard rumors of a yellow (we all live in a yellow submarine) iPod for awhile on other sites.

Paul needs a little publicity with his ex-wife on Dancing with the Stars, so I'm guessing he's the artist. An unplugged set.

Beatles on itunes. (ties in with ATV)

A fun day.

brepublican
Apr 1, 2007, 04:28 PM

Didnt you hear? They made Michael Jackson's 'Thriller' Music video into a full length movie... they're releasing the sequel Summer '07

aafuss1
Apr 1, 2007, 04:28 PM
Could be Beatles catalog on iTS and dropping of DRM.

peharri
Apr 1, 2007, 04:32 PM
It's not DRM. Some labels have asked Apple not to sell their music with DRM and Apple has refused. It's almost certain Apple has contracts with the majors that indicate that all their music must be sold with DRM, not just music from those specific publishers, so the idea that one major would suddenly have its music DRM free and not the other three strikes me as completely improbable.

The press, by and large, are reporting that this is actually about The Beatles. I think that's infinitely more likely.

aristotle
Apr 1, 2007, 04:34 PM
I sure hope they go for an audio watermarking system. It would definitely put a halt to any casual copying as the lawyers would have proof who leaked the songs on the internet and they could sue them for it. At the same time, people on all platforms could be free to use the songs within the limits of fair use in their personal "home" movies and what not.

No DRM is going to stop determined pirates but watermarking will stop them in their tracks.

xJulianx
Apr 1, 2007, 04:42 PM

I have just done a bit of research on QTFairuse, but couldn't find any information about what the end product is. Basically, does it make a new audio file of the song you are playing (without the DRM)?

aspro
Apr 1, 2007, 04:42 PM
Interesting, this would remove those niggling doubts whenever I buy iTS music. I wonder if there might be any retroactive DRM removers for the EMI songs I already own?

age234
Apr 1, 2007, 04:46 PM
I hope it's the Beatles!

So we can get that out of the way and have something important to talk about when rumors surface. :rolleyes:

I mean, really...is the market for the Beatles really that big? Some people make it sound like 2/3 of iTunes users are clamoring to buy the Beatles Definitive Collection or something. I don't personally know anyone who listens to the Beatles, but hey, I'm a freak. No, really. I'm listening to the soundtrack from The Journeyman Project right now.

[edit] "Tricky"? I mean... Well, all right...

Peace
Apr 1, 2007, 04:51 PM

exactly my point. maybe not movies but hopefully tv shows

I was always told it was bad luck to play an April Fools joke after 12 o'clock, and this announcement was well after that :)

Get real people.This announcement is an EMI announcement with Steve Jobs as a special guest.This NOT a Stevenote.

hvfsl
Apr 1, 2007, 04:52 PM
Who says they can't announce something to do with EMI and videos in other countries at the same event?

Just like when Motorola showed off their iTunes phone and Apple showed off the Nano.

I have just done a bit of research on QTFairuse, but couldn't find any information about what the end product is. Basically, does it make a new audio file of the song you are playing (without the DRM)?
Basically, yes. Plus it does it in such a way that there isn't any loss in audio quality.

Willis
Apr 1, 2007, 04:58 PM
i know its a little off topic, but im loving these extra names we have tagged onto us...

Im going to be patiently waiting for the news tomorrow on this... has to be good, surely!

TheManOfSilver
Apr 1, 2007, 05:00 PM
In either case (end of DRM or Beatles tracks on iTunes) this could be a decent boost to Apple during the lull between :apple:TV and iPhone/Leopard/New Mac releases.

xJulianx
Apr 1, 2007, 05:03 PM
Basically, yes. Plus it does it in such a way that there isn't any loss in audio quality.

So do you then delete the original file that you downloaded from iTunes? Or does it overwrite the original? Sorry if these seem obvious, I just want to be 100% sure before I plunge into buying from the ITS. Thanks.

Rocketman
Apr 1, 2007, 05:06 PM
A better question is since there IS a press event with Steve Jobs present, what might he announce as "one more thing"?

Primary:
EMI content on iTunes

Likely:
Watermarked vs DRM format
Apple loseless format
HD 720i music videos

Less Likely:
iMac Quad with some music related software (Logic Extreme, Garage band 4 or something)
Apple BUYS EMI (they already own the Apple trademark free and clear)

Rocketman

iMikeT
Apr 1, 2007, 05:07 PM
I doubt that this is even Beatles related. But, you never know!

Teddy's
Apr 1, 2007, 05:15 PM
Should I buy now or wait???

05elstonc
Apr 1, 2007, 05:17 PM
The other exciting part about the timing of the press conference is Apple's 31st Birthday. Off by 1 day is not that big of a deal. And to have Steve fly to London to make the announcement is no small acknowledgment on Apple's part to the weight of the announcement. Steve doesn't fly to press conferences for new labels or studio's joining the iTunes store. So I have a feeling this may be pretty darn big. I am so happy that by the time I wake up tomorrow the event will have already happened, no waiting around all day.

nsjoker
Apr 1, 2007, 05:18 PM
I really hope this isn't an April Fool's joke =/

bketchum
Apr 1, 2007, 05:21 PM
Test.

...LOL. Good one, Arn.

Hmmm... The adjective goes away when you edit your comment.

AVID
Apr 1, 2007, 05:26 PM
==dont mean t put damper on things, but would this mean it's another week without hardware announcement?? :eek:

Multimedia
Apr 1, 2007, 05:27 PM
Guessing All Beatles Albums with Paul as the musical guest. 'Bout time. :)

MrCrowbar
Apr 1, 2007, 05:32 PM
So that would mean Steve's boarding the plane just about...now!!

'Anything to declare Mr Jobs'

"no, just a couple of turtlenecks and an unlicensed iphone..."

Lol. Good one. :D

"We're sorry, Mr. Jobs, you can't board the plane with a phone havong no FCC approval." :o

... as a side note: I got a generation 1 Macbook (see signature), and it's going to the shop for the 4th time now... Display backlight has a loose contact and the CD drive has a hard time ejecting discs (and makes a very weak, emo cow-like sound when waking from sleep). Is it true I can get my money back? I mean, this thing is too unreliable, I had the random shutdown, rainbow lines, backlight problem (repaired once, now it's back), a loose screw on the back that keeps falling out, busted disc drive and a battery that inflated (it got thicker and only worked 50% then) after 80 cycles. Can anyone give me some advise on how to get my money back? I'm in Germany by the way.

Rich1989
Apr 1, 2007, 05:32 PM
what about a new ipod. a real update needs to come soon surely. or a beatles ipod perhaps?

aussie_geek
Apr 1, 2007, 05:34 PM
dammit...

no more itunes crap. it seems that apple has become obsessed with it. :rolleyes:

OSX FTW!! :D

aussie_geek

Mac-Mariachi
Apr 1, 2007, 05:37 PM
I´m all for DRM free music and of course Beatles on iTunes will rock. But PLEASE Steve I have been waiting since January for a new iMac and the wait has been almost unbearable (literally). I don´t want to buy the current iMac cause I know you´re going to blow us away with the new one. And since I am in México it always takes about a month for new macs to be available here, so I have to add another 30 days of waiting from the moment you have them in the USA.

hvfsl
Apr 1, 2007, 05:42 PM
So do you then delete the original file that you downloaded from iTunes? Or does it overwrite the original? Sorry if these seem obvious, I just want to be 100% sure before I plunge into buying from the ITS. Thanks.

I should probably point out that it only works in Windows at the moment.

The program lets you backup your original DRM files. It also looks like it has the option of automatically replacing the DRM files with the DRM-free version. But I prefer to do this myself manually.

xJulianx
Apr 1, 2007, 05:43 PM
I should probably point out that it only works in Windows at the moment.

The program lets you backup your original DRM files. It also looks like it has the option of automatically replacing the DRM files with the DRM-free version. But I prefer to do this myself manually.

Okay brilliant, sounds like it's exactly what I want. Sucks about being Windows only though. Doh :(

Saltire
Apr 1, 2007, 05:50 PM
It would be great to have Apple Lossless tracks on iTunes, but I doubt we'll be seeing it anytime soon - seeing as how the current iPod shuffles are unable to play Apple Lossless tracks.

thesnowman16
Apr 1, 2007, 05:56 PM
what is DRM?

japanime
Apr 1, 2007, 06:09 PM
i know its a little off topic, but im loving these extra names we have tagged onto us...

Im going to be patiently waiting for the news tomorrow on this... has to be good, surely!

I have to post just to see what name is assigned to me.

Oh, and yeah, DRM-free and Apple Lossless offerings would definitely get me shopping at the ITS.

zap2
Apr 1, 2007, 06:09 PM
DRM free music would be nice....really nice. Also HD content....and the Beatles to top it off!

EricNau
Apr 1, 2007, 06:14 PM
what is DRM?
Digital Rights Management (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Rights_Management). Apple's iTunes DRM is called Fairplay (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FairPlay).

MarcelV
Apr 1, 2007, 06:27 PM
It would be great if the anouncement will mean EMI would allow lossless or at least a much higher bitrate music files. That would be really great. However, I don't hold my breath, and it will be Beatles added to the iTunes store. Personally, I don't care of it, but they are th enumber one selling artist (yes still and by a far margin) Why SJ being present? It is a public knowledge that Apple is his favorite band, so not a real surprise.

Konradx
Apr 1, 2007, 06:28 PM
Progress though i still probably wouldnt buy it

Doctor Q
Apr 1, 2007, 06:28 PM
If they issue the Beatles catalog as a huge/expensive boxed set, perhaps in conjunction with a Beatles iPod, they could include the 4 Beatles movies as well.

I continue to wonder about the argument I hear that Beatles fans already have the Beatles music they like. I know some do, but I also know kids who "inherited" their interest in the Beatles from their parents.

The boomers who bought albums in the pre-digital age might be willing to buy 'em all over again. With a boxed set, even those with many Beatles albums might be tempted by less-widely-distributed tracks that they might not already have.

Peace
Apr 1, 2007, 06:36 PM
Guessing All Beatles Albums with Paul as the musical guest. 'Bout time. :)

Normally I would "listen" to you Multi but this time..

His name is Paul McCartney not McCarthy :)

Here's what's gonna happen..

EMI will announce The Beatles catalog available in DRM-free content on iTunes.
Steve will announce the special Beatles wide-screen iPod with the content on it.Selling price will be $499.Including the movies Yellow Submarine and Help!.

Mgkwho
Apr 1, 2007, 06:43 PM
No, it's just a press whatever/release. They wouldn't redo the iPod without having a special event.

The limited edition beatles version is possible (though I think unlikely), but not a 6G iPod.

-=|Mgkwho

Peace
Apr 1, 2007, 06:46 PM
No, it's just a press whatever/release. They wouldn't redo the iPod without having a special event.

The limited edition beatles version is possible (though I think unlikely), but not a 6G iPod.

-=|Mgkwho

HEY! It's April 1st. I can say what I want..:p

And a happy second anniversary to me!! I joined 2 years ago today!!

Analog Kid
Apr 1, 2007, 06:50 PM
(The Beatles thing almost sounds more likely though. Talking about no DRM is easy, and I know EMI has been doing that, but EMI actually acting on it is another matter.)
I tend to think the same, but mainly because of sequencing issues... I think they'd rather reap what they can from the Beatles under the current regime and then make changes. Letting the genie out of the bottle and then releasing the most valuable segment of your catalog sounds dicey.

My guess is Beatles now, and a slow roll back of DRM. Probably on a mix of new releases and back catalog so they can gauge the effect.

(I kinda like being Mysterious...)

synth3tik
Apr 1, 2007, 06:51 PM
This could be some really big news, I hope they have a web cast. It will be happening right when I get home from work.

Mgkwho
Apr 1, 2007, 06:53 PM
They will have a webcast afterwards on EMI's website I believe.

Not sure the link though, sorry. Check elsewhere in this thread.

-=|Mgkwho

Peace
Apr 1, 2007, 06:53 PM
This could be some really big news, I hope they have a web cast. It will be happening right when I get home from work.

There is an audio webcast.

http://www.emigroup.com/Default.htm

It starts at 1PM London time and 8AM NYC time.

mods can you put that in the header post?

juniormaj
Apr 1, 2007, 06:57 PM
Isn't Apple Lossless a proprietary format?

IF Apple dropped DRM and offered songs in Apple Lossless (and this is a big if), would we be any better off? Wouldn't we still need iTunes or Quicktime to play the songs?

I think the benefit here is that you would be downloading an open Lossless file that is "CD Quality". That file could then be re-encoded as an mp3, aac, aiff, or even wma or wav (or whatever) file that can play on just about any device, much like ripping a CD.
There would be no extra loss in quality as there is now by taking an already lossy m4p and encoding it to an additional lossy format (making it "lossy-er", if you will).
You then have the pristine Apple Lossless file which will sound great on any of your Apple devices, and you can choose the level and kind of degradation (if any) you are willing to do to it to make it work on other platforms.
I do believe this is much more like owning the CD and ripping to your needs, without the physical product, of course.

ElderscrollsV
Apr 1, 2007, 06:57 PM
It doesn't really affect me because I beieve that $1 for a song is wayyyy to expensive....

ogee
Apr 1, 2007, 07:04 PM
EMI Group plc statement

EMI Group plc (“EMI” or the “Company”) announces that it has received a non-binding proposal from Warner Music Group (“WMG”) indicating that WMG might be prepared to make an offer, pre-conditional on regulatory clearance, of 260 pence per share in cash for EMI, subject to numerous assumptions and conditions.

At a regular Board meeting of EMI held earlier today, WMG’s proposal was considered by the Board which concluded that it is not in the best interests of EMI shareholders to entertain a pre-conditional offer which would entail prolonged regulatory uncertainty and unacceptable operational risk at a critical time for the Company. The Board also regards a price of 260 pence per share as inadequate, having regard to the stand-alone value of EMI, the synergies available from a combination with WMG and the risks identified above.

Now a bit of lateral thinking. What if Steve Jobs has bought a majority shareholding in EMI?

The original deal with Apple Corp prevented Apple Inc from getting into the music buisiness, but that has now all been settled. Maybe a part of that deal removes that limitation. However, Steve Jobs is not Apple....

Peace
Apr 1, 2007, 07:17 PM
A source familiar with the situation said a Beatles deal would not be featured at the event on Monday.

http://yahoo.reuters.com/news/articlehybrid.aspx?storyID=urn:newsml:reuters.com:20070401:MTFH96150_2007-04-01_22-26-11_N01345958&type=comktNews&rpc=44

Ghibli
Apr 1, 2007, 07:25 PM
Now a bit of lateral thinking. What if Steve Jobs has bought a majority shareholding in EMI?

The original deal with Apple Corp prevented Apple Inc from getting into the music buisiness, but that has now all been settled. Maybe a part of that deal removes that limitation. However, Steve Jobs is not Apple....

The more I think about this thing the more sense it makes...

The EMI CEO, the Apple CEO, no more limitations on Apple being in the Music Business, EMI refuses warner proposal, EMI workers knowing there is an announcement but not knowing wich one, invitations sent out on sunday for a monday event (maybe in order to lessen stocks speculations)...

Boys.. I hope you took your Apple stocks last week, because if this is true Apple and EMI stocks value will skyrocket really fast...

lazyrighteye
Apr 1, 2007, 07:31 PM
This could have something to do with dropping DRM from EMI's offerings but the kicker is there is an unannounced special musical group or something to that effect.

Could be BOTH DRM and Beatles.

DRM would pleasantly SHOCK me.
Back when Steve addressed us on the issue, I wondered if he knew tomorrow's DRM-less EMI announcement would happen - hence his bold, open letter.
While super cool my $ is on Beatles announcement. Tho the unannounced musical group part puzzles me. I just don't see the remaining Beatles reuniting for this (been wrong before).

Regardless, wacky.

JNB
Apr 1, 2007, 07:47 PM
The more I think about this thing the more sense it makes...

The EMI CEO, the Apple CEO, no more limitations on Apple being in the Music Business, EMI refuses warner proposal, EMI workers knowing there is an announcement but not knowing wich one, invitations sent out on sunday for a monday event (maybe in order to lessen stocks speculations)...

Boys.. I hope you took your Apple stocks last week, because if this is true Apple and EMI stocks value will skyrocket really fast...

And with Steve holding 138 million shares of Disney stock alone (4.7 BILLION dollars, in round numbers), he could just write a check on stage tomorrow...

jonharris200
Apr 1, 2007, 08:01 PM

Being a Brit, I would still prefer films. :D

Ghibli
Apr 1, 2007, 08:01 PM
And with Steve holding 138 million shares of Disney stock alone (4.7 BILLION dollars, in round numbers), he could just write a check on stage tomorrow...

That's more than the marketcap value of ALL EMI records...

OMG......

And when this will be over Wall Street will be still closed (yet to open) and probably London will be already closed (or closing....).

1 PM seemed a bit strange as an appointment for press, but now it seems quite a logical one if you need to do something big and don't want to have some strange speculations take place in the stock market...

This can really be real (or the best April's fool ever...)

Curtis72
Apr 1, 2007, 08:03 PM
It doesn't really affect me because I beieve that $1 for a song is wayyyy to expensive....

What????

So basically you are saying you want to only "steal" songs?

99¢ is a very good price on average. CD Singles used to cost around $3 (some came with mutlple versions of the song, other songs, or sample songs) back before the music industry mainly dumped that format.

I did buy a Jay-Z Enhanced CD (could have been a DVD) with 2 songs and music video on it 2 or 3 years ago. It had some other features too. I remember correctly that cost me around $5. So in iTunes "dollars, the equilavent is $3.97. But thing is, I don't want the other song or video!

lord patton
Apr 1, 2007, 08:04 PM
I'm just glad we have a confirmed event happening, and it's happening tomorrow. Been long enough, dambit.

Hopefully, at the end of the announcement, Steve turns to the press and says, "See ya next week."

And it will take more than Paul and Ringo to impress me. I want at least 3 members of the Beatles there before I get excited.

ogee
Apr 1, 2007, 08:05 PM
1 PM seemed a bit strange as an appointment for press, but .....

Just after lunch. Steve and Mr EMI down the pub for a couple of beers then speak to the press... Sounds good to me!

jonharris200
Apr 1, 2007, 08:06 PM
Welcome back to London, Steve.

chubad
Apr 1, 2007, 08:15 PM

Jeeze... if I had a Gulfstream (http://www.gulfstream.com/g500/) private jet at my disposal with the operating cost picked up by the company, I'd be flying to London to pick up some fresh scones for breakfast!:D

Ghibli
Apr 1, 2007, 08:16 PM
Just after lunch. Steve and Mr EMI down the pub for a couple of beers then speak to the press... Sounds good to me!

Hmmm usually these events take place in the morning (so to be in time to the lunch tv news) or mid afternoon (in time for the dinner news..). One o'clock PM is really strange...

arn
Apr 1, 2007, 08:18 PM
http://investing.reuters.co.uk/news/articleinvesting.aspx?type=allBreakingNews&storyID=2007-04-01T222611Z_01_N01345958_RTRIDST_0_APPLE-BEATLES-UPDATE-1.XML

Update: Reuters.co.uk confirms that a Beatles announcement is not likely according to their source:

"There is no Beatles' announcement," the source said.

Peace
Apr 1, 2007, 08:20 PM
That's more than the marketcap value of ALL EMI records...

OMG......

And when this will be over Wall Street will be still closed (yet to open) and probably London will be already closed (or closing....).

1 PM seemed a bit strange as an appointment for press, but now it seems quite a logical one if you need to do something big and don't want to have some strange speculations take place in the stock market...

This can really be real (or the best April's fool ever...)

This event starts at 8AM New York City Time.
The NYSE and NASDAQ are in full swing at that time.

But then again there have been mergers and acquisitions announced during market hours before.So..

Ghibli
Apr 1, 2007, 08:21 PM
http://investing.reuters.co.uk/news/articleinvesting.aspx?type=allBreakingNews&storyID=2007-04-01T222611Z_01_N01345958_RTRIDST_0_APPLE-BEATLES-UPDATE-1.XML

<b>Update</b>: Reuters.co.uk confirms that a Beatles announcement is not likely according to their source:

"There is no Beatles' announcement," the source said.

So, it comes down to DRM or Apple buying EMI... nothing else could be so important to move TWO CEOs..

I would bet on the second one, considering all the other things I recapped before...

Ghibli
Apr 1, 2007, 08:23 PM
This event starts at 8AM New York City Time.

The NYSE and NASDAQ are in full swing at that time.

which is the NYSE opening hour?

Peace
Apr 1, 2007, 08:26 PM
which is the NYSE opening hour?

Trading starts at 6AM I believe.

Could be wrong.

Freg3000
Apr 1, 2007, 08:31 PM

Could be wrong.

Trading starts at 9:30 AM Eastern.

Ghibli
Apr 1, 2007, 08:34 PM

Could be wrong.

I did a check with yahoo finance graphics and the opening hour seems to be 9:30 AM(opening value of AAPL stocks on yahoo finance, New York Time). London seems to open at 7:30 AM (London time) and closes at 4:30PM.

I insist in considering 1PM a strange hour for a press event...

Peace
Apr 1, 2007, 08:36 PM

The NASDAQ Stock Market Trading Sessions (Eastern Time)
Pre-Market Trading Hours from 7:00 a.m. to 9:30 a.m.
Market Hours from 9:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
After-Market Hours from 4:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.

Quote and order-entry from 7:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m.
Quotes are open and firm from 7:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m.

A speculators stress hour :D

ogee
Apr 1, 2007, 08:38 PM
Another possability I will through into the ring.

from http://www.zdnet.de/news/tkomm/0,39023151,39153172,00.htm
"Im Rahmen der CTIA Wireless Trade Show, die derzeit in Florida stattfindet, hat sich Eric Nicoli, Chef der EMI Group über den Markt für mobile Musikdownloads und aktuelle Handy-Trends geäußert. Alleine in diesem Jahr sollen mobile Musikdownloads einen Umsatz von mehr als 13 Milliarden Dollar generieren. Für das Jahr 2010 rechnet Nicoli mit einem Umsatz von 32 Milliarden Dollar"

For those who dont read German, it says in a nut shell that the CEO of EMI who was in Florida (29th March) for the CTIA trade show had made some comments about the market for download of mobile phone ringtones. This year alone the market is estimated at over 13 billion US$ and is expected to grow to 32 billion by 2010.

So, it could be that EMI will be the ring tone provider for iPhone over iTunes. This could also tie in with the "an exciting new digital offering," mentioned in the press release. Nicoli has said very posative things about the iPhone.

Ghibli
Apr 1, 2007, 08:40 PM

So the announce takes definitely place when Wall Street is yet to open and London is closing (just a couple of hours left).

And we have two CEOs... And a music debate settled with the Beatles just a month ago....

I would look for Apple's stock...

puuukeey
Apr 1, 2007, 08:42 PM
Matt's comments on DRM etc:

supply/demand of recorded music(ians)+internet = Dead record companies

Arguing for anything else simply breaks economic rules.

decksnap
Apr 1, 2007, 08:43 PM
Sorry if this is already posted... Wall Street Journal confirms the event is about removing DRM.

"In a major reversal of the music industry's longstanding antipiracy strategy, EMI Group PLC is set to announce Monday that it plans to sell significant amounts of its catalog without anticopying software, according to people familiar with the matter.

The London-based music company is to make its announcement in a press conference that will feature Apple Inc. Chief Executive Steve Jobs. EMI is to sell songs without the software -- known as digital rights management, or DRM -- through Apple's iTunes Store and possibly through other online outlets, too."

chrisgeleven
Has to be the Beatles or no DRM. A ringtone announcement wouldn't get two CEO's together and the press conference timed to be just before the stock market opens (for maximum impact).

In fact, I am tending to lean towards a bigger splash...something like the Beatles on iTunes AND no DRM on at least some of EMI's artists.

We will see tomorrow. This is big, I guarantee it.

Ghibli
Another possability I will through into the ring.

<SNIP>

So, it could be that EMI will be the ring tone provider for iPhone over iTunes. This could also tie in with the "an exciting new digital offering," mentioned in the press release. Nicoli has said very posative things about the iPhone.

This could be certanly an interesting thing, although I would consider such an announce a bit before time (iPhone will ship in june in the US and at the end of the year in Europe...).

Just a few hours to know...

syklee26
Apr 1, 2007, 08:44 PM
at least nobody is suggesting powerbook g5 tomorrow.

here is an interesting article.

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070401-emi-to-announced-drm-free-plans-tomorrow-reports.html

weldon
Apr 1, 2007, 08:45 PM
I like this idea. Ringtones wouldn't be a half-bad place to try out DRM-free downloads on the iTunes store either.

This might also be the place to announce the UK carrier for the iPhone. I think there's been speculation, but I don't believe that the European partner(s) have been officially announced.

Put me down for those two announcements...

Ringtones from EMI artists w/ no DRM
European partners for the iPhone announced

Peace
Apr 1, 2007, 08:46 PM
At least we can look forward to an iTunes and QT update real soon.:p

Ghibli
Apr 1, 2007, 08:47 PM
Sorry if this is already posted... Wall Street Journal confirms the event is about removing DRM.

"In a major reversal of the music industry's longstanding antipiracy strategy, EMI Group PLC is set to announce Monday that it plans to sell significant amounts of its catalog without anticopying software, according to people familiar with the matter.

The London-based music company is to make its announcement in a press conference that will feature Apple Inc. Chief Executive Steve Jobs. EMI is to sell songs without the software -- known as digital rights management, or DRM -- through Apple's iTunes Store and possibly through other online outlets, too."

No, it wasn't posted before. A link would be appreciated. So it seems that Steve has hit the jackpot... his distorsion field works as a charm...

decksnap
Apr 1, 2007, 08:49 PM
You need a subscription...

link (http://users2.wsj.com/lmda/do/checkLogin?mg=evo-wsj&url=http%3A%2F%2Fonline.wsj.com%2Farticle%2FSB117547255583356319.html%3Fmod%3Dhome_whats_news_us)

syklee26
Apr 1, 2007, 08:50 PM
and i still think selling DRM free music is a huge risk. people argue that DRM free music exists on p2p network in the form of files from CDs. I find this a very weak argument.

I still don't have a compelling reason why files should be DRM free. Can someone give me one? and I am not from RIAA either; in fact, they should replace some country as Axis of Evil

ogee
Apr 1, 2007, 08:50 PM
This might also be the place to announce the UK carrier for the iPhone. I think there's been speculation, but I don't believe that the European partner(s) have been officially announced.

I disagree.

If the announcement was over the iPhone EU carriers, then the announcement would take place at the office of that carrier (if only one like Vodafone) or at Apple EU HQ. EMI involvement would make no sense and the EMI boss would not be involved.

JNB
Apr 1, 2007, 08:52 PM

DRM-free Beatles ringtones on my iPhone, transferred from my Ultimate Edition Beatles Collection on iTunes (7.2, which has the "Make My Ringtone" feature and 5.1 decoding support)!

Now all we need is Zeppelin...

decksnap
Apr 1, 2007, 08:53 PM
and i still think selling DRM free music is a huge risk. people argue that DRM free music exists on p2p network in the form of files from CDs. I find this a very weak argument.

I still don't have a compelling reason why files should be DRM free. Can someone give me one? and I am not from RIAA either; in fact, they should replace some country as Axis of Evil

Because it 'punishes' the people willing to pay for music, not the people who are stealing it.

Ghibli
Apr 1, 2007, 08:55 PM
You need a subscription...

link (http://users2.wsj.com/lmda/do/checkLogin?mg=evo-wsj&url=http%3A%2F%2Fonline.wsj.com%2Farticle%2FSB117547255583356319.html%3Fmod%3Dhome_whats_news_us)

Thanks

arn
Apr 1, 2007, 09:05 PM
The interesting part of the WSJ article is this quote:

In a major reversal of the music industry's longstanding antipiracy strategy, EMI Group PLC is set to announce Monday that it plans to sell significant amounts of its catalog without anticopying software, according to people familiar with the matter.

The London-based music company is to make its announcement in a press conference that will feature Apple Inc. Chief Executive Steve Jobs. EMI is to sell songs without the software -- known as digital rights management, or DRM -- through Apple's iTunes Store and possibly through other online outlets, too.

EricNau
Apr 1, 2007, 09:06 PM
Every song (and I mean every song) is already available illegally & unprotected on P2P networks. People who download their music from such sites probably don't even realize DRM exists. ...DRM just doesn't work, but it does a very good job of causing problems for those who buy their music legally.

Overall, DRM only affects those who are already purchasing their music legally - it's like preaching to the choir.

chrisgeleven
Apr 1, 2007, 09:13 PM
I wonder if Apple would have the guts to remove DRM from previously purchased music.

failsafe1
Apr 1, 2007, 09:14 PM
Interesting Yahoo just had an AP headline saying Beatles and Apple to announce deal tomorrow.

Whistleway
Apr 1, 2007, 09:15 PM
If anything, this thing is the biggest thing that Apple has ever done in its 31 years. And that is saying a lot.

Macrumor members, show your support by buying non-DRM songs on your starbucks monies :)

Great move Apple :)

peterjhill
Apr 1, 2007, 09:15 PM
If a label decided to pull DRM from their itunes selections, i would go out of my way to see if there was anything I wanted to buy from them just to support the move with my money.

failsafe1
Apr 1, 2007, 09:16 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070402/ap_on_hi_te/emi_apple;_ylt=AhJQ7wlgjf.kywzSXan3stis0NUE

It is being reported as official. :eek:

EricNau
Apr 1, 2007, 09:20 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070402/ap_on_hi_te/emi_apple;_ylt=AhJQ7wlgjf.kywzSXan3stis0NUE

It is being reported as official. :eek:
That article is saying no such thing. It's just listing another possibility for tomorrow's event.

LONDON - Record company EMI Group PLC said Sunday it planned to unveil "an exciting new digital offering" with computer company Apple Inc., raising expectations that The Beatles' music catalog is about to be made available through Apple's iTunes online music store.

zap2
Apr 1, 2007, 09:23 PM

Why should it be any different then buy a CD? Some people see it as going out of there way to pay for music online, surely make legal "worse" then illegal download isn't a way to get more people to use it!

You catch more flies with honey then with vingar

mags631
Apr 1, 2007, 09:28 PM
Interesting Yahoo just had an AP headline saying Beatles and Apple to announce deal tomorrow.

The article that I saw on Yahoo seemed, at best, speculative.

That being said, I'd love to see a Beatles' catalog on iTunes. The DRM point is less of an issue for me, personally.

iMeowbot
Apr 1, 2007, 09:47 PM
The WSJ article was co-written by Nick Wingfield, who generally has really good sources.

So, the next question would be how much this cost Apple. EMI wanted concessions from download services, in particular more money up front, in exchange for unlocked tracks. This proposal had stalled about a month ago when retailers and EMI couldn't agree on a price.

failsafe1
Apr 1, 2007, 09:48 PM
The article that I saw on Yahoo seemed, at best, speculative.

That being said, I'd love to see a Beatles' catalog on iTunes. The DRM point is less of an issue for me, personally.

Totally misread the article. We will all see in a few short hours.

SiliconAddict
Apr 1, 2007, 10:00 PM
(Note: This story is not an April Fools joke.)

The one thing that I absolutely HATE about April Fools. Figuring out what is a joke and what isn't. If this happens my only remaining complaint will be quality. Come on Apple 256 kb/s!!

As for the Beatles. Overhyped group IMHO. Yes they have SOME good music (compared to the one hit wonders of today.) but I throw the Beatles in with Elvis overall. They both have good stuff however its nothing to wet yourself over when it does finally show up on iTMS.

Hmmm I wonder if Apple is going to somehow tag music that isn't DRM protected on iTMS. I can see it go both ways. If they do it might be a very good test to show how much of an impact DRM has on sales. If they don't it would be business as usual for iTMS. Hmm

sigamy
Apr 1, 2007, 10:04 PM
fingers crossed that this great news is indeed true.

this could be the beginning of the beginning!

Music-Man
Apr 1, 2007, 10:04 PM
T
So, the next question would be how much this cost Apple. EMI wanted concessions from download services, in particular more money up front, in exchange for unlocked tracks. This proposal had stalled about a month ago when retailers and EMI couldn't agree on a price.

Exactly, and this leads to me to wonder if Apple, or maybe Steve himself, would buy a bucket load of shares in EMI to show faith in the deal. It would also be money well spent rather than an upfront cash payment.

shen
Apr 1, 2007, 10:23 PM
that is some very good iTunes news, i hope this little DRM free stream breaks the dam open soon....

jaw04005
Apr 1, 2007, 10:24 PM
To be honest, Apple's copy protection is already quite liberal. I'm personally not going to benefit all that much from a non-drm iTunes store. However, I have no doubt this announcement is a win for digital distribution.

Porchland
Apr 1, 2007, 10:36 PM

They are the perfect complementary business partner if Apple are to become the 'new Sony'. Apple will own The Beatles, just as they have always owned The Beatles. Yes, they will be available exlusively on iTunes - forever!

This is also why Warner made a 'last ditch attempt to buy just recently' and why EMI rejected it - the deal was already 'in the bag'...

You will now see that the Apple Computer Inc becoming Apple Inc makes complete and perfect sense.

Finally, somebody says it! I was working my way through these posts astonished at all the DRM and lossless gibberish and wondering why the discussion wasn't about whether Apple was BUYING EMI.

I don't necessarily think this is what the announcement is about (though I think there's a strong possibility), but a number of things point to it:

1. Apple Inc.'s settlement with Apple Corp. was oriented largely toward resolving the prior agreement that Apple Inc. not enter the music business. Prior to the deal, an acquisition of a record company would have directly violated the earlier settlement. (This was the source of the pre-loaded iPod rumors, but the possibilities are far broader.)

2. As you said, the merger talks between Warner Music and EMI show that EMI is open to the possibility. This is, of course, because:

3. The CD business is in a free fall, and the record labels need to find their dancing partners soon.

4. .....

No way is Steve Jobs flying halfway around the world to talk about DRM. For that matter, The Beatles coming to iTunes is a big announcement -- definitely One More Thing worthy -- but it's not big enough for Apple to go to EMI.

I think...
* The Beatles catalog,
* a Beatles iPod,
* Radiohead catalog,
* some kind of "strategic alliance."

JNB
Apr 1, 2007, 10:37 PM
As for the Beatles. Overhyped group IMHO. Yes they have SOME good music (compared to the one hit wonders of today.) but I throw the Beatles in with Elvis overall. They both have good stuff however its nothing to wet yourself over when it does finally show up on iTMS.

A study of music history would suggest otherwise. The Beatles were seminal in their approach to melody and lyricism, essentially validating rock as a genre for over forty years. Granted, Sir George Martin was instrumental in the realization of that exploration and success, but the raw talent was there. Even their covers were ground-greaking.

They are as important to pop music as Mozart, or Wagner, or Copland are to their era. The potential of their catalog being released digitally is akin to DaVinci's works being released after years of being withheld from public view, except for photographs.

That being said, you don't have to like a single thing they ever did - there's a lot that doesn't "speak to me". You don't have to like Leonardo's work, either. But again, from a purely historical perspective, they are arguably the most important musical act of the mid- to late twentieth century for the influence they had.

I wouldn't insult you with a smug "you had to be there," because that actually taints my appreciation of them. I would propose that you study them academically a bit for curiosity's sake, even if you never voluntarily listen to - or purchase - a single song. That part is a matter of personal taste.

That's why my (admittedly small) iTunes library covers a fairly large range; from 1928 to 2007, Raymond Scott to Ozomatli and Skindred. There's a lot of good out there, but precious little significant. Enjoy as much of it as you can!

Analog Kid
Apr 1, 2007, 11:04 PM
Finally, somebody says it! I was working my way through these posts astonished at all the DRM and lossless gibberish and wondering why the discussion wasn't about whether Apple was BUYING EMI.

I don't necessarily think this is what the announcement is about (though I think there's a strong possibility), but a number of things point to it:

No way is Steve Jobs flying halfway around the world to talk about DRM. For that matter, The Beatles coming to iTunes is a big announcement -- definitely One More Thing worthy -- but it's not big enough for Apple to go to EMI.

I think...
* The Beatles catalog,
* a Beatles iPod,
* Radiohead catalog,
* some kind of "strategic alliance."
Apple's not buying EMI. That would be suicide in this space. As soon as they do something like that, every other label pulls their titles from the iPod and customers suffer, and then Apple suffers. If Apple is going to become a label, they'll have to do it grassroots-like. Probably in the same way they're handling podcasts now. They plug their audio production tools into their iTMS framework and let people publish themselves. They have to keep all the majors on equal footing.

On your other point-- either removal of DRM or the digital distribution of the Beatles would justify a CEO flight to London. Those are both huge, seminal events and Apple is going to want to milk them for what they're worth.

People here can debate the value of the Beatles all they want, but the numbers have already been tabulated and the Beatles have dominated modern music. Doesn't mean you have to like them, or their music, but you can't argue that releasing that one band's catalog on iTunes will have a major impact.

Apr 1, 2007, 11:05 PM

Because it's an absurd conjecture based purely in fantasy.

Apple is indeed moving in new directions but becoming a recording company is not one of them. There's no strategic advantage it offers Apple for their product line when they already reap the benefits of providing an extremely low-margin (read: loss leader) retail channel for the catalogs of other record companies without the expenditures associated with A&R, radio promotion, channel sales and marketing, etc. etc. ad infinitum.

All the gains for Apple are in the hardware, and strategic alliances give them the ability to incur minimal expenditures while realizing maximum profits from the marginal sales that iTunes Store actually affords them.

Additionally, Apple management clearly understands through its direct negotiations with independent artists that record labels are becoming an anachronism. Artists have the ability to go directly to the retail channel via the internet without the middlemen of the recording industry. The record industry's distribution monopoly is the only thing that keeps it profitable and Apple by supporting internet distribution is effectively backing the death knell of companies like EMI.

In the long term, acquisition of a record company has no future. Just ask Time-Warner why they dumped Warner Music Group entirely on Edgar Bronfman who is furiously tap dancing with his ad hominem attacks against Steve Jobs and Co. to try to rationalize the lingering existence of such dying distribution monopolies that, if unprotected, would be devoured up by the free market global economy of the internet.

Acquiring EMI would be the stupidest thing Apple ever did since putting John Sculley in the driver's seat.

EricNau
Apr 1, 2007, 11:08 PM
No way is Steve Jobs flying halfway around the world to talk about DRM.
Are you sure about that? How often does Steve Jobs post a several page document on Apple's homepage for weeks discussing his "thoughts?"

Silencio
Apr 1, 2007, 11:24 PM
Are you sure about that? How often does Steve Jobs post a several page document on Apple's homepage for weeks discussing his "thoughts?"

Agree. Even if the announcement tomorrow is "just" about removing DRM from one major label's songs on iTMS, it represents a huge kick in the family jewels to Microsoft. All the time and money and effort they spent on Janus to try to control all digital content and make it flow through Windows will be for naught if Apple successfully redraws the playing field without DRM.

Apple is obviously not too concerned that people will start buying Creative Zens and filling them up with music from Urge or Napster when this happens.

Curtis72
Apr 1, 2007, 11:34 PM

Somewhat true. But I think that Steve Jobs (being a the CEO of a major company) has other business to take care of in Europe. Its one thing to write a letter and post it online. It's quite another to get fly to another continent. They could have telecast his appearance. Yes. that would required him to get up by 3am or 4am PST.

Who really knows. Anything possible. I have been thinking recently that Apple may try to become the like Sony. A company that has a full spectum of products and services from computers, consumer electronics, entertainment, and so on.

motulist
Apr 1, 2007, 11:35 PM
No way is Steve Jobs flying halfway around the world to talk about DRM.

I disagree, I think this is just the type of Insanely Great industry-changing type of accomplishment that Jobs revels in. Just imagine his speech.

"We sell songs through iTunes, and it's amazing. But what if I want to take this song I downloaded through iTunes and send it to my Samsung phone, since the iPhone isn't out yet. (audience laughs hahaha).

(drags and drops itunes song onto samsung phone, popup says you can't do that) Whoops, I guess I forgot about the DRM that locks the song into iTunes. Oh well, I guess I'll just have to get rid of DRM on our EMI songs (click fake DRM 'light switch' to off) (Cheers and screaming break out from the audience) (drag and drop song again) (transfer completed successfully)

We changed the way the world listens to music before, and we're about to do it again. Starting today, all our EMI iTunes songs are completely free of DRM allowing you to use your music how you want it, where you want it, when you want it. And this is just the beginning, we've been talking to the other labels and I'm sure that once they see that removing DRM from their songs doesn't reduce sales, I expect to see all the other labels soon decide to remove DRM from all the songs in the itunes catalog. (Massive cheers, people throw flowers, young women cry for Jobs to impregnate them.)"

Mac-Mariachi
Apr 1, 2007, 11:36 PM
Ok, Apple buys EMI, no more DRM, We get the full Beatles catalog, and probably a Beatles iPod (with some of iphone features).

And there is an unannounced band playing in the event.... Paul Mcartney and Ringo Starr performing several Beatles songs and showing the world what good friends they are with SJ.

I say win-win situation!

ElderscrollsV
Apr 1, 2007, 11:38 PM
What????

So basically you are saying you want to only "steal" songs?

99¢ is a very good price on average. CD Singles used to cost around $3 (some came with mutlple versions of the song, other songs, or sample songs) back before the music industry mainly dumped that format.

I did buy a Jay-Z Enhanced CD (could have been a DVD) with 2 songs and music video on it 2 or 3 years ago. It had some other features too. I remember correctly that cost me around $5. So in iTunes "dollars, the equilavent is $3.97. But thing is, I don't want the other song or video!

That's why I never bought singles.....but no seriously 1 dollar is way to expensive for 1 lousy song..when cd's were around you didn't pay $1 for a song...the eminem show..cost me 17 bucks and it had more than 17 songs..AND I GOT A BOOKLET AND A CD AND A CD CASE......1 dollar a song is a rip off

EricNau
Apr 1, 2007, 11:39 PM
That's why I never bought singles.....but no seriously 1 dollar is way to expensive for 1 lousy song..when cd's were around you didn't pay $1 for a song...the eminem show..cost me 17 bucks and it had more than 17 songs..AND I GOT A BOOKLET AND A CD AND A CD CASE......1 dollar a song is a rip off
On iTunes albums cost $7.99 to $12.99.

ElderscrollsV
Apr 2, 2007, 12:12 AM
I disagree, I think this is just the type of Insanely Great industry-changing type of accomplishment that Jobs revels in. Just imagine his speech.

"We sell songs through iTunes, and it's amazing. But what if I want to take this song I downloaded through iTunes and send it to my Samsung phone, since the iPhone isn't out yet. (audience laughs hahaha).

(drags and drops itunes song onto samsung phone, popup says you can't do that) Whoops, I guess I forgot about the DRM that locks the song into iTunes. Oh well, I guess I'll just have to get rid of DRM on our EMI songs (click fake DRM 'light switch' to off) (Cheers and screaming break out from the audience) (drag and drop song again) (transfer completed successfully)

We changed the way the world listens to music before, and we're about to do it again. Starting today, all our EMI iTunes songs are completely free of DRM allowing you to use your music how you want it, where you want it, when you want it. And this is just the beginning, we've been talking to the other labels and I'm sure that once they see that removing DRM from their songs doesn't reduce sales, I expect to see all the other labels soon decide to remove DRM from all the songs in the itunes catalog. (Massive cheers, people throw flowers, young women cry for Jobs to impregnate them.)"

Yes, You actually sounded like jobs in that. Well done....

Ok, Apple buys EMI, no more DRM, We get the full Beatles catalog, and probably a Beatles iPod (with some of iphone features).

And there is an unannounced band playing in the event.... Paul Mcartney and Ringo Starr performing several Beatles songs and showing the world what good friends they are with SJ.

I say win-win situation!

No beatles ipod with iphone features....wishful thinking though

On iTunes albums cost $7.99 to $12.99.

Thankyou captain obvious, but 1 dollar is still to much for a song considering I payed less than that per song when I bought the eminem show for 17 dollars way back in the day and I got a cd, cd case and a booklet.

JNB
Apr 2, 2007, 12:15 AM
That's why I never bought singles.....but no seriously 1 dollar is way to expensive for 1 lousy song..when cd's were around you didn't pay $1 for a song...1 dollar a song is a rip off

No, when CD's were introduced, $25 was the average, everyday, typical price for one (well, ok, $24.98). For twelve songs. So, you're right, you didn't pay a dollar a song, you paid two dollars a song.

Let's see, in 1967, when the Beatles released Sgt Pepper and Magical Mystery Tour, the average album cost $4.99 (that's what I paid at my local record shop in East LA). That's for 12 songs on the average album (unless it was Tull, then you got one song). That's, um, lessee, carry the one... um, $.42 a song.

Now obviously, a buck then and a buck now aren't the same, so to keep pace with the REAL cost of things, that forty-two cent song would cost - today - $2.16. Sounds like things have actually gotten less expensive...

I really don't want to sound like I'm busting your chops, but exactly how is a measly dollar a ripoff? In what socioeconomic theory does the value of a song that you can possess for the remainder of your life not achieve eight bits?

EricNau
Apr 2, 2007, 12:19 AM
Thankyou captain obvious, but 1 dollar is still to much for a song considering I payed less than that per song when I bought the eminem show for 17 dollars way back in the day and I got a cd, cd case and a booklet.
You bought the Eminem Show (http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewAlbum?id=111092&s=143441) album for $17. That album has 20 songs. That's 85 cents per song.

Currently, iTunes is selling that album for $9.99 (that's $7 less than you paid). The iTunes version still has 20 songs. That's only 50 cents per song.

Still think iTunes is too expensive?

synth3tik
Apr 2, 2007, 12:36 AM
There is an audio webcast.

http://www.emigroup.com/Default.htm

It starts at 1PM London time and 8AM NYC time.

mods can you put that in the header post?

Cool thanks for the info. I get home from work at 7AM Minneapolis time, so this will be perfect.

inkswamp
Apr 2, 2007, 01:06 AM

Amen! I agree 100%. I get so fed up with the mindless adoration of The Beatles and their arrival on iTunes will be a non-event for me. The Beatles are the sacred cows to a generation that claimed to have no sacred cows and I get a little tired of hearing how great they are and how there will never be anything like them again and... blah blah. About 1 in every 5 Beatles songs is worth hearing and the rest is junk. "I Wanna Hold Your Hand"? Bleh... worst song ever.

The one thing that really annoys me is that The Beatles are so often cited as the originators of the whole psychelic movement when, in fact, it was Pink Floyd who were down in the trenches pushing the psychedelic sound. Pink Floyd were the young upstarts playing the clubs when that movement started and The Beatles appropriated that whole thing from there. The real father of psychedelia was Syd Barrett who died last year with hardly any notice from the press. Check out some of the stuff he did and tell me Sargent Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band is still that impressive.

So yeah, The Beatles. Meh... :rolleyes: I hope this announcement is more than that.

dakis
Apr 2, 2007, 01:10 AM
For those who dont read German, it says in a nut shell that the CEO of EMI who was in Florida (29th March) for the CTIA trade show had made some comments about the market for download of mobile phone ringtones.

They're not saying anything about ringtones - they're talking about mobile music downloads which could be huge with the iPhone.

dakis

gavd
Apr 2, 2007, 01:12 AM
<snip>

So yeah, The Beatles. Meh... :rolleyes: I hope this announcement is more than that.

Well apparently both Retuers and the WSJ say it's nothing to do with the Beatles and will be about DRM so you might get what you want.

dakis
Apr 2, 2007, 01:17 AM
So, it comes down to DRM or Apple buying EMI... nothing else could be so important to move TWO CEOs..

I would bet on the second one, considering all the other things I recapped before...

gotta be DRM. If Apple were to buy EMI, the iTunes Store would go down the drain. The other labels present in the store would pack up and leave immediately if the store were to be run by an Apple-EMI merger.

But to be honest - I'm not sure I'd be very happy about the DRM thing either. Sure, I'd love to see DRM go just as much as anyone else. But if Apple started to get rid of DRM for SOME of the songs offered in the iTunes store, that would create a huge mess. We have a download store in Switzerland that sells unprotected MP3s from some lables but also DRMed Windows Media files. You'd have to check the DRM status for every single file before you buy in case you want the music for devices other than the iPod.

dakis

motulist
Apr 2, 2007, 01:34 AM
Amen! I agree 100%. I get so fed up with the mindless adoration of The Beatles and their arrival on iTunes will be a non-event for me. The Beatles are the sacred cows to a generation that claimed to have no sacred cows and I get a little tired of hearing how great they are and how there will never be anything like them again and... blah blah. About 1 in every 5 Beatles songs is worth hearing and the rest is junk. "I Wanna Hold Your Hand"? Bleh... worst song ever.

The one thing that really annoys me is that The Beatles are so often cited as the originators of the whole psychelic movement when, in fact, it was Pink Floyd who were down in the trenches pushing the psychedelic sound. Pink Floyd were the young upstarts playing the clubs when that movement started and The Beatles appropriated that whole thing from there. The real father of psychedelia was Syd Barrett who died last year with hardly any notice from the press. Check out some of the stuff he did and tell me Sargent Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band is still that impressive.

Um, Pink Floyd are friggen awesome, they really are, but I'm pretty sure you're significantly confused about who did what when and why what they did was important.

The Beatles' came out with the album Rubber Soul in 1965, and Revolver in 1966, both totally ground breaking (and psychedelic, but I don't think that's the main important thing about those albums). Pink Floyd's first album was released in 1967.

Project
Apr 2, 2007, 01:58 AM
Wall Street Journal are saying its to announce a DRM free catalogue. WSJ are almost always right when it comes to Appple news because of the ties the two companies have.

cid:image003.jpg@01C77488.687D87E0

EMI to Sell Much of its Music
Without Antipiracy Software

By ETHAN SMITH and NICK WINGFIELD
April 1, 2007 8:27 p.m.

In a major reversal of the music industry's longstanding antipiracy strategy, EMI Group PLC is set to announce Monday that it plans to sell significant amounts of its catalog without anticopying software, according to people familiar with the matter.

dontmatter
Apr 2, 2007, 02:02 AM
what about indie labels? Will they choose to go DRM free too, or be allowed to? I could see apple making this an "exclusive" to EMI thing.

Or an april fools joke. We'll know soon.

Project
Apr 2, 2007, 02:07 AM
The announcement is the 2nd. This is no April Fools.

This is history

hatcher002
Apr 2, 2007, 02:11 AM
cough cough bs nice april fouls joke . i better keep dreamming:apple:

motulist
Apr 2, 2007, 02:19 AM
You don't have to like a single thing they ever did - there's a lot that doesn't "speak to me".

Totally. Most people don't know how prolific the Beatles were and how greatly their style changed from one album to the next. These guys put out a LOT of songs and spanned a LOT of different styles. Most people today, myself included, think their early stuff can be kinda cute and catchy, but is mostly just fluff. But if you listen to their mid to late career stuff like Revolver, these songs are still amazingly awesome today.

They are as important to pop music as Mozart, or Wagner, or Copland are to their era... they are arguably the most important musical act of the mid- to late twentieth century for the influence they had.

This is simply a fact (though there's never been a formal study or anything). When you ask the musicians that have been popular over the last 50 years who they were influenced by, far and away the most common answer you hear is the Beatles.

I wouldn't insult you with a smug "you had to be there," because that actually taints my appreciation of them.

I wasn't "there," they were before my time, but they still managed to become my favorite band of all time.

The potential of their catalog being released digitally is akin to DaVinci's works being released after years of being withheld from public view, except for photographs.

I have to disagree with you here. All of their material has been available for decades in even HIGHER quality than you'd get from iTunes.

Applespider
Apr 2, 2007, 02:24 AM
Somewhat true. But I think that Steve Jobs (being a the CEO of a major company) has other business to take care of in Europe.

Precisely... who's to say that he doesn't have a meeting with a prospective Euro-iPhone carrier in the morning, the EMI thing over lunch and a meeting to convince Euro-movies in the late afternoon before nipping over to Rome to see his newest store and have a plate of pasta...

We know one thing that Jobs is doing over here

kugino
Apr 2, 2007, 02:50 AM
if the rumors are indeed true - non-DRM tunes on iTunes - then it's a big step in the right direction. will that entice me to buy? no...it's not DRM that keeps me from buying, rather the poor quality files. get me up to 256 AAC and i'd buy, but 128 is just a tad too lossy for me.

thumbs up on the removal of DRM, though!

a456
Apr 2, 2007, 03:31 AM

My thoughts exactly. Although the whole DRM issue is big news for the whole iPod/iTunes debate and the industry in general, I wouldn't class it as an 'exciting new digital offering'. The Beatles back catalogue preloaded on an iPod (with multi-touch? - it was after all Apple's birthday yesterday).

BobbyDigital
Apr 2, 2007, 03:38 AM
If this happens, I can see the rest of the labels following suit within a reasonable amount of time. This is the beginning of the end!!! (of DRM) :D

juniormaj
Apr 2, 2007, 03:42 AM

I'm not so sure 2002 qualifies as "way back in the day".
And although that CD has 20 tracks, 5 of those are "skits" that each last about 1 minute or less (3 of them are 30 seconds or less).
That leaves you with 15 songs.

gavd
Apr 2, 2007, 03:42 AM
If this happens, I can see the rest of the labels following suit within a reasonable amount of time. This is the beginning of the end!!! (of DRM) :D

That would be nice! :)

winstano
Apr 2, 2007, 04:13 AM

Although there'll be no DRM, there will be some forms of identification in the tracks...

This will have to be made absolutely clear in the press statement later today...

Essentially, EMI have been looking at watermarking. This means that the file, while not encrypted with DRM, will have some methods of identifying the person who bought it. It's a fair system that will allow the users to play the stuff they buy on iTunes on any single system or device.

I'm just a little pissed that this announcement is today. My dissertation's on DRM, and it's got to be in on the 30th of this month. Which doesn't really give me that much time to change the structure of it etc to incorporate this...

dakis
Apr 2, 2007, 04:42 AM
After having read the reports again, I speculate the following will happen today:

EMI announces the availability of their entire back-catalog DRM-free on the iTunes store.
For now, there won't be any changes in the way they sell their current stuff.

jonharris200
Apr 2, 2007, 04:47 AM
Anyone got a link or explanation of this 'watermarking' thing that has been mentioned as a possible replacement for FairPlay? What is it and how might it work?

Diablo
Apr 2, 2007, 04:53 AM
The date for the launch of the Beatles as downloads and the re-issued, re-mastered albums with updated sleeves is likely to be 1st June. This will be the 40th anniversary of Sgt Pepper's launch in 1967 (and the 20th annivesary of the CDs launch in 1987.)

There'll be a massive media hype around this date anyway as there was in 1987 and 1997 with all the music magazines doing special issues and documentaries on TV so it makes sense to launch the remixes on this date if it's going to be this year. Since all the re-mixing has been done, they're holding back for a special launch. I think it'll be 1st June.

Applespider
Apr 2, 2007, 04:53 AM
I'm just a little pissed that this announcement is today. My dissertation's on DRM, and it's got to be in on the 30th of this month. Which doesn't really give me that much time to change the structure of it etc to incorporate this...

Better today than on 29 April? And just think how much extra credit you'll get if your dissertation is bang up to date...

bleachthru
Apr 2, 2007, 04:59 AM
I certainly hope this is true. It would be a nice change, it has seemed to me that over the last few years, all that has really been accomplished is adding to this sub-conscience list of things people are not allowed to do and ways of enforcing these things. Hopefully this will spark a more widely accepted cultural turn around....it is nice to feel trusted, and not forcefully policed all the time!