Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NickD

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 25, 2007
Colorado
Hey All,

I've got a (relatively) simple question. I do a large amount of independent filmmaking, and therefore have quite a large collection of soundtracks in my iTunes library.

I'd like to remove all of my soundtracks from my existing iTunes library on my internal HD, and move them all to a separate library on my external HD, leaving me with two libraries: one for listening music, one for soundtracks.

How do I do this?
NickD

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Drag all the soundtracks form iTunes to a folder on your external drive. Then, remove them from iTunes and let iTunes delete the files. The songs you copied across to the external are not the files that will be deleted. Now, open iTunes whilst holding OPTION and select to create a new library. Create it on the external and use the songs you've dragged over.

As a side note: there's a bug when copying a song from an iTunes library to a folder. If two songs in the group have identical song names, then none of the batch will copy, but no warning will be given. My advice to you is to make a playlist of all the songs you want and sort by song name. Then, copy them in batches and check that the file count in the folder you're copying to corresponds to the number of songs you've copied. For any double ups in terms of song names, copy the alternatives to a different location and then manually copy them back or manually reimport them to the new library later. Good luck. Hopefully that's easier than I made it sound. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.