Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Theatrics

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 1, 2007
San Diego
Hey, this isnt a physical hardware sound. Its a sound i cant hear, but everyone in my skype conference can. I usually can tell when it starts by the shear terror and screams from participants in the skype conference. It doesnt happen every time, but usually every other day or so. I cant figure out what it is, and it started happening without notice. Could this be damage to my mic? Is some terrorist process trying to feed inputs on the microphone line in causing a collision of zeros and ones? If anyone has had this happen to them, or might know why its happening, I could really use your help.

1.5GHz Powerbook G4 12"; Machine Model: Powerbook6,8; Memory 1.25 GB DDR SDRAM

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Freyqq

macrumors 601
Dec 13, 2004
try an external mic and see if that helps.

mics are cheap these days btw

Theatrics

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 1, 2007
San Diego
Thank you, although none of your replies really help me.

They are sudden sharp loud screeches. They started happening out of nowhere. To make it stop, i have to hold and un hold. Like i said before, i cant hear the sound, its only being transmitted to the people in the skype conference. :(

WillJS

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2007
Record a video conference of their face when the sounds happens. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

I'm sorry I can't help you. :)

CorranQ

macrumors member
Apr 5, 2007
Vancouver, BC
I had the exact same problem and near as I can tell it's feedback from the Powerbook's sound system directly into the microphone - if you use headphones you should note the extraneous sounds disappear... otherwise, no idea...

AthleticTrainer

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
I am having a similar problem with my MacBook while in an iChat video chat. But both my friend and I can hear it, and it goes away when I cover up my mic, and it's not there when I use my iPhone headphones. I took it into the Apple Store today and they looked at me like I was nuts.

Towhead

macrumors regular
Nov 3, 2007
I am having a similar problem with my MacBook while in an iChat video chat. But both my friend and I can hear it, and it goes away when I cover up my mic, and it's not there when I use my iPhone headphones. I took it into the Apple Store today and they looked at me like I was nuts.

Those Apple Geniuses don't seem to be the sharpest pencils in the box ...

Albal

macrumors member
Nov 21, 2007
It's pretty obvious what it is, in my eyes.

It's feedback from the speakers directly into the microphone. It happens on any audio device when the microphone and speakers are in really close proximity - like yours, and mine!

The solution is to wear headphones when you're having a skype conversation. That way there is no feedback into the mic. Be careful they aren't noise canceling or you'll be shouting at the people on the other end of the line! Haha.
:D

CorranQ

macrumors member
Apr 5, 2007
Vancouver, BC
I'm with Albal on this, especially after my own experience with a Powerbook doing the same. I doubt Apple will do anything to help you out with it though... best bet would be to use headphones or the iPhone headset (or its similars) when you're using the mic.

Virgil-TB2

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2007
I'm with Albal on this, especially after my own experience with a Powerbook doing the same. I doubt Apple will do anything to help you out with it though... best bet would be to use headphones or the iPhone headset (or its similars) when you're using the mic.
Yeah, feedback is feedback, it's been around since the first audio amplifier was made and it's hardly Apple's fault.

If the OP is using skype, they should also be using a headset really.

The feedback could perhaps be reduced by turning down the volume on the powerbook so the feedback is not so strong.

If it's true that it only occurs in "spikes" then one can use the conditions at that point to diagnose the cause. Are you leaning in closer at that point? Are you playing music in the background? etc. etc.

Theatrics

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 1, 2007
San Diego
Solution

The sound I was hearing was far from feedback. This is just an update on how I fixed the issue incase anyone else experiences it:

A manual refresh in Skype's data traversal information:
The procedure is as follows:

1. Quit Skype
2. Go to the folder ~/Library/Application Support/Skype/
3. Delete the file "shared.xml"
4. Start Skype

If the above does not help, a reinstallation may also prove to be of assistance.

* Close Skype
* Open your Applications folder and drag your copy of Skype to the trash.
* Search for the keyword "Skype". Delete all search results.
* Go to http://www.skype.com/download and get the latest version of Skype
* Mount the .dmg file and drag the Skype icon to the Applications folder

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.