Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jesteraver

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 16, 2006
Montreal, QC
I have a iMac G5 (Pre-iSight). I just got home and my computer was off, I didn't turn it off and I asked my mom, she said she didnt come into my room. I was posting something on here and my computer shut off on its own. What gives?

:confused: :confused:

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
Did it turn back on? Does it seem to be running fine?

Have you checked the power cord, sometimes they can be loose and fall out? ...Or its possible that it was scheduled to turn off (System Preferences > Energy Saver > Schedule - Make sure neither box is checked).

jesteraver

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 16, 2006
Montreal, QC
Checked the cord its in properly. Wouldnt make sense at all that it fell out. I've had my computer running 24/7 for the past year pretty much. Energy saver is on but only to turn off the screen after 15 mins and sleep in 30 mins

sparkyms

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2007
Southampton UK
Checked the cord its in properly. Wouldnt make sense at all that it fell out. I've had my computer running 24/7 for the past year pretty much. Energy saver is on but only to turn off the screen after 15 mins and sleep in 30 mins

no power surges or anything? Any siblings that would want to freak you out?
perhaps it just wanted to turn off to spook you out!

jesteraver

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 16, 2006
Montreal, QC
no power surges or anything? Any siblings that would want to freak you out?
perhaps it just wanted to turn off to spook you out!

I keep turning it on and 5 mins later it shuts off on its own.

4th time in 20 mins. First time in 3 years its happened.

Guess I'll call up Apple and have them take the computer and give me a new one

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
There is a well known power supply failure issue with iMac G5's which have the same symptom - sudden complete powerdown.
Do you have AppleCare? Then get the parts replaced. They wil not give you a new one on first warranty problem.

If not, be prepared to do some research first to see if there are any extended warranty provisions offered for this problem.

jesteraver

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 16, 2006
Montreal, QC
Did some research on the phone with Apple right now. Might be my surge protector right now. Thing is my mac doesnt have the same EMC. lol

jesteraver

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 16, 2006
Montreal, QC
Little update... Plugged it into a normal wall socket. Shut off again. We tried something new. We reset something. Had to plug in the power cord while pressing the power button got this loud noise (forgot what it reset) so far 5 mins has passed and it hasnt shut off. Now to wait 10 more mins. If so it doesnt shut off all is good. If it does shut off again, have to bring it in.

jesteraver

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 16, 2006
Montreal, QC
Seems like the problem has been solved.

:)

If any of you having the same thing.

1. Unplug your computer and everything connected to your iMac.
2. Connect to a wall outlet.
3. Connect plug into iMac while pressing the power button (same time)
- You will hear a noise and then let go of the power button
* SHOULD start properly and stop from shutting off on its own

jesteraver

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 16, 2006
Montreal, QC
It started over again argh even when I reset the SMU and plugged it into a wall socket.

Time to call up Apple and see what they will do. Hopefully Applecare will cover this.

Guess I'll have to bring my computer in this weekend or next weekend. Must be the logicboard argh!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.