Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jb78

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 1, 2007
greetings all, any advice on the below would help me a great deal.

For a while now my mac has been giving me distorted sound out through the sound line-out at the back of the computer. just had a quote for a repair and the bloke reckoned even though its just a dodgy little line-out issue (ie. just the jack), it requires the replacement of the entire logic board.

the guy said that the headphone line-out on the front of the computer is fine so use that with my external speakers. i always thought tho it wasn't a good idea using the headphone line-out at the front of the machine as it worked at a different frequency or somethin..

can anyone confirm this? if its no drama's, i'd rather use the front line-out than shell aus$1000.

mac-apricot

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2007
Miami, Fl
Front Audio

Hi

There is no difference between the back audio 3.5mm jack on the rear and the one on the front. They are both connected to the same audio chipset. So you wouldn't notice a difference in sound quailty. Your problem is probably a dry solder joint on the back jack, and it doesnt affect the chipset or the jack on the front of the computer. The front jack is actually attached to the front panel board (not directly to logic board)

Hope this Helps

jb78

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 1, 2007
thanks pal that indeed helps!
i still reckon its a scam not to be able to replace the damaged jack as opposed to replacing the whole logic board.
neh well.

scottlinux

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2005
Hi

There is no difference between the back audio 3.5mm jack on the rear and the one on the front. They are both connected to the same audio chipset. So you wouldn't notice a difference in sound quailty. Your problem is probably a dry solder joint on the back jack, and it doesnt affect the chipset or the jack on the front of the computer. The front jack is actually attached to the front panel board (not directly to logic board)

Hope this Helps

Actually, the front jack is amplified a tad. But not much. But yeah not going to hurt anything using it as your main out. You could get a third party PCI audio card, or Firewire audio interface if you are still not getting good sound http://www.m-audio.com
Get a $50 sound card rather than replacing an entire logic board.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.