PDA

View Full Version : Xbox360 has HDMI 1.2

fiercetiger224
Apr 1, 2007, 09:05 PM
http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=6734

That kinda sucks...Looks like it'll never be able to output uncompressed audio. That's something that Microsoft can't just be like, "Sony, we can do that too!" I wonder what made them go HDMI 1.2 instead of 1.3? Of course costs come into play, but still, Microsoft should have just gone a little more "future-proof".

Still getting one though. I just hope that...The system is quieter. But it's not... :( Gaah maybe I should just wait...But then I may never get it. :rolleyes:

sikkinixx
Apr 1, 2007, 09:06 PM
Xbox 720 Premium Elite Super-Duper is just around the bend so why make it futureproof? :D

fiercetiger224
Apr 1, 2007, 09:07 PM
Xbox 720 Premium Elite Super-Duper is just around the bend so why make it futureproof? :D

Haha oh great, another SKU...

Dagless
Apr 1, 2007, 09:09 PM
reminds me of-
Mr. X: 1080p native!
Mr. Y: no! 1080p UPSCALED!

Sounds like a totally pointless argument really. Have they even got rumble yet? So Sony gets the hardware output right (despite the crazy output problems on 720p-less HDTVs), and Microsoft gets, you know, the important side of gaming like online play right.

fiercetiger224
Apr 1, 2007, 09:37 PM
BUUUT could this be an April Fools joke? ;)

sikkinixx
Apr 1, 2007, 10:32 PM
BUUUT could this be an April Fools joke? ;)

Don't think so, I read about the specs a few days ago. Its not biggie for most people but since the Elite is the hardcore HD Sku, it is odd that they don't even make it the best it can be.

And Jimmi, stop your whining about the PS3 man :rolleyes: It's not THAT bad... PSN works just fine for playing games online, ya know, the important part of online gaming, not all of us need to hear 10 year old halo freaks singing over the mics :D

fiercetiger224
Apr 1, 2007, 11:09 PM
Don't think so, I read about the specs a few days ago. Its not biggie for most people but since the Elite is the hardcore HD Sku, it is odd that they don't even make it the best it can be.

And Jimmi, stop your whining about the PS3 man :rolleyes: It's not THAT bad... PSN works just fine for playing games online, ya know, the important part of online gaming, not all of us need to hear 10 year old halo freaks singing over the mics :D

Yup, they coulda made it the best they could, but instead they go the cheap route...Since they've kept the exact same parts as the other models.

Anyway, I agree with you on the PSN online gaming. I haven't had a single problem ever since I started playing on it. What's even more exciting is the fact that there's no lag whenever I play. Besides, it took Microsoft how long to build it's online infrastructure? 5 years? And now Sony's building on theirs. What's wrong with that? It only gets better throughout each firmware updates, and I really like the idea of firmware updates. I always have something new to look forward to. :D

Wait until Home comes out, and then watch out! :p

GFLPraxis
Apr 2, 2007, 12:35 AM
Why do people care about HDMI so much? Unless you're using your 360 for HD-DVD, I don't see why it matters. There's no significant difference between HDMI and component (yes, HDMI is digital, but the difference is minute).
http://forum.ecoustics.com/bbs/messages/34579/122868.html

Doesn't seem that critical. It's nice to have but with the obscene cost of HDMI cables I really wouldn't care that much even if I did have a HDTV.

I never saw why it was a big deal on the PS3 and I still don't see why it's a big deal on the XBox 360 Elite. It at least makes more sense on the PS3 because of Blu-ray and HDCP copy protection which only works over HDMI...

fiercetiger224
Apr 2, 2007, 12:56 AM
Why do people care about HDMI so much? Unless you're using your 360 for HD-DVD, I don't see why it matters. There's no significant difference between HDMI and component (yes, HDMI is digital, but the difference is minute).
http://forum.ecoustics.com/bbs/messages/34579/122868.html

Doesn't seem that critical. It's nice to have but with the obscene cost of HDMI cables I really wouldn't care that much even if I did have a HDTV.

I never saw why it was a big deal on the PS3 and I still don't see why it's a big deal on the XBox 360 Elite. It at least makes more sense on the PS3 because of Blu-ray and HDCP copy protection which only works over HDMI...

Well HDMI is one simple connection, which is a big deal for me. If you check out the amount of cables I have connected behind my TV, then you'd want HDMI. :D Otherwise, it's not a necessity.

Even if you think HDMI isn't a big improvement in image quality, you can easily tell the difference between the two if you've got a bigger TV (40+ inches), especially if it's LCD, since it has fixed pixels compared to CRT, plasma, etc. You can tell by sharpness, color uniformity, gamma, brightness. So I'd disagree with anyone who says component is the same as HDMI. There's also slight image noise on component, especially when there's an image with mostly black. I have a 1080p Samsung 40 inch monitor, so I can validate the fact that HDMI is a step up from component, otherwise they wouldn't have made the connection! :rolleyes:

Of course, not everyone has a 1080p monitor. BUT when you do get a 1080p monitor, HDMI is a BIG deal. Trust me. :D

JackAxe
Apr 2, 2007, 12:59 AM
HDMI made a noticeable difference for my friend's PS3 on his plasma, but for my other friend, it jacked up the colors on his set for things like DVDs.

One of HDMI's biggest advantages over component, is its bandwidth. HDMI is basically DVI + audio, so if you're using a PS3 as a Linux comp, HDMI is a better option.

<]=)

fiercetiger224
Apr 2, 2007, 01:15 AM
HDMI made a noticeable difference for my friend's PS3 on his plasma, but for my other friend, it jacked up the colors on his set for things like DVDs.

One of HDMI's biggest advantages over component, is its bandwidth. HDMI is basically DVI + audio, so if you're using a PS3 as a Linux comp, HDMI is a better option.

<]=)

It depends on how old your TV is and what version HDMI it is...But yeah there IS a noticeable difference between HDMI and component.

Bandwidth has a lot to do with it, and digital is really what distinguishes the two. HDMI has crystal-clear picture, which is a better way to explain it. :D

Poogis
Apr 2, 2007, 04:48 AM
I don't have an HD TV but I was lead to believe that when I bought my 360 just after the UK launch last year, that it was all HD ready. Now they bring the Elite HDMI version out in some sort of a knee-jerk reaction to the PS3.

What I'm getting at is, is the 360 component set-up not up to much then? My PS3 on a SD TV is not good and just want to know my options when buying my HD TV.

Will the difference between my 360 (Component) and PS3 (HDMI) really be that noticeable when using an HD TV?

Suture
Apr 2, 2007, 06:24 AM
The HDMI is important because of the audio (True HD). Also, not everyone has a VGA port on their HDTV, so they are SOL in regards to upconversion.

fiercetiger224
Apr 2, 2007, 08:58 AM
I don't have an HD TV but I was lead to believe that when I bought my 360 just after the UK launch last year, that it was all HD ready. Now they bring the Elite HDMI version out in some sort of a knee-jerk reaction to the PS3.

What I'm getting at is, is the 360 component set-up not up to much then? My PS3 on a SD TV is not good and just want to know my options when buying my HD TV.

Will the difference between my 360 (Component) and PS3 (HDMI) really be that noticeable when using an HD TV?

Yes, there should be a noticeable difference. Even comparing VGA to HDMI is noticeable, because VGA is still analog. My friend brought his 360 over once so that we could compare MLB 2K7, and the PS3 had better colors, brightness, and sharpness. So I guess videophiles will want the Elite version, as it offers HDMI.

It's sad that Microsoft didn't add HDMI before they launched the system. It shows you how much they wanted to rush the system out to the market. And it's also sad that they lie about HDMI not be widespread back in the end of 2005; the original specs were made way back in 2002!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI

Version 1.2 was already finalized a few months before they launched the 360 back then...

Dagless
Apr 2, 2007, 09:21 AM
If HDMI specs were made in 2002 why was HDTV actually finalised later, as in TV's produced would be guaranteed to run a future HDTV signal?

fiercetiger224
Apr 2, 2007, 09:36 AM
If HDMI specs were made in 2002 why was HDTV actually finalised later, as in TV's produced would be guaranteed to run a future HDTV signal?

Don't ask me, ask the people who create these things. :D At least HDMI is backwards compatible with earlier versions, otherwise it'd just be a pain in the butt. I remember TVs with HDMI appearing in 2004. But that's just what I remember. It could have appeared even earlier than that.

Anyway, back to the Xbox360 HDMI 1.2 issue. It could be the scalar that they're using that may have made them only go with HDMI 1.2? In any case, it looks like they're trying to keep costs low so they can make a profit...Meaning they might be cheap parts...Just as before. What to do what to do... :rolleyes: I guess I'll get my 360 later this month.