PDA

View Full Version : mlmac .4

Pedro Estarque
Jun 12, 2003, 09:10 AM
This is THE best P2P I've used, it runs Kazaa, gnutella and donkey network.
No more VPC!!!!

If you want to try click here (http://www.abyssoft.com/software/mlmac/download.php?dl=mlmac04.sit)

mac15
Jun 12, 2003, 09:16 AM
wrong link dude

Pedro Estarque
Jun 12, 2003, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by mac15
wrong link dude

Strange the link must be down... or some one pulled it down
now you go there, but can't download
http://www.abyssoft.com/software/mlmac/
But it is working in my mac right now

NicoMan
Jun 12, 2003, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by Pedro Estarque
Strange the link must be down... or some one pulled it down
now you go there, but can't download
http://www.abyssoft.com/software/mlmac/
But it is working in my mac right now
basically the mlmac is the GUI. The app is named MLdonkey 2.5.3 (there is a thread about it in the new apps section). I have yet to test mlmac, but I have heard it was still missing some features. You should check the MLdonkey site. The good thing about MLmac, apparently :D, is that it comes all packaged up for installation....

powder8
Jun 12, 2003, 10:28 AM
I just downloaded it and it works... tons of search results... now if the GUI could just get better this would be the best P2P for the mac, at least in terms of files to possibly find... one thing though, it doesn't have any share preferences at all so i am assuming that it doesn't let you share which bums me out... you have to give a little to get a little....:D

Pedro Estarque
Jun 12, 2003, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by NicoMan
basically the mlmac is the GUI. The app is named MLdonkey 2.5.3 (there is a thread about it in the new apps section). I have yet to test mlmac, but I have heard it was still missing some features. You should check the MLdonkey site. The good thing about MLmac, apparently :D, is that it comes all packaged up for installation....
the link is back up?
great! I belive your download folder must be the same as you shared folder.

elliotay
Jun 12, 2003, 02:09 PM
I got it to download and I'd love to run it, but.....I can't get passed the connecting stage. I launch the app and a message comes up saying "Connecting... Please wait while mlMac launches the mlnet daemon and establishes a connection with it." After 5-10 the app quits and I get the error message saying mlMac has unexpectingly quit. What am I doing wrong?

Skaught
Jun 12, 2003, 09:04 PM
I assume this is for OSX? Because I have no idea what an .app file is!

Scott

supercres
Jun 12, 2003, 09:17 PM
I can't connect either... Same error message.

coolsoldier
Jun 12, 2003, 11:20 PM
Originally posted by Skaught
I assume this is for OSX? Because I have no idea what an .app file is!

Scott

A .app file is an application package. Ctrl-click the file and select "Show Package Contents". If it will work with OS 9, there will be an alias to the program in the folder that pops up.

coolsoldier
Jun 12, 2003, 11:53 PM
By the way, can anybody actually connect to FastTrack (i.e. Kazaa) from this? All I can connect to is eDonkey Servers.

info: to check connected servers, go to http://127.0.0.1:4080/ in your browser while the program is running and click "Show Connected Servers" Mine always says "0 active FastTrack Servers" anybody else?

Huked on Fonick
Jun 13, 2003, 01:52 AM
I cant connect to fast tracker servers and i cant get the program to run anymore, it says that same message as above connecting to daemon and then after like 5 minutes "program mlmac and unexpecidely quit blah balh balh"....any one know why? i could connect to edonkey and gntella servers though, who needa fasttrack, edonkey is allmost as good.

Wardofsky
Jun 13, 2003, 02:59 AM
Same here with the crashing, I'll stand by Acquisition and Neo, and (dare I say) LimeWire.

Huked on Fonick
Jun 13, 2003, 04:48 PM
I installed the file and like i said earler it said connecting to daemon, and then after 5 or 10 minutes it said this program has unexpedicly quit, well
this morning i noticed that i had 185 megs of space left i had 16 gigs last night and so i started checking things out called apple tech and after talking to them for like 2 hours we figured out that mlmac had created 14 gigs worth of stuff in its folder(which can only be accecced through root) (30,000 files worth)

if i where u i wouldent use it till it gets more stable.....

davy the bunny
Jun 13, 2003, 04:59 PM
I feel the need to chime in as well. . . I don't seem to connect to anything but eDonkey servers and I can't d/l anything from anyone. After it sits there for a while saying that the d/l has stalled it just crashes anyway. . . But I'd probably recommend you stay away lest you be as unlucky as Huked.

Adurbe
Jun 13, 2003, 09:16 PM
I've installed it and it works a treat :-)

and its fast too :-) :-)

i am using the iHan GUI cuz it looks nice (im not fickle) and have noticed a 'preview' button i click it, it does nothing. Looking in the prefs its looking for a file called mldonkey_preview which i dont have..... other than not being able to take sneaky peaks its a wonderful app

p.s. Huked, the way it downloads is to put down a full sized place holder so if you got 1k of a 1gig file it still takes 1gig of space

Pedro Estarque
Jun 14, 2003, 08:00 PM
Mine downloads all kazaa fine ( guess I'm just lucky ), edonkey just sits there waiting forever, but to me the possibility to natively connect to kazaa is already great. Although the interface sucks.

Huked on Fonick
Jun 15, 2003, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by Adurbe
I've installed it and it works a treat :-)

and its fast too :-) :-)

i am using the iHan GUI cuz it looks nice (im not fickle) and have noticed a 'preview' button i click it, it does nothing. Looking in the prefs its looking for a file called mldonkey_preview which i dont have..... other than not being able to take sneaky peaks its a wonderful app

p.s. Huked, the way it downloads is to put down a full sized place holder so if you got 1k of a 1gig file it still takes 1gig of space

Thats retarted, why cant it just download the stuff meg for meg because often times i serch for something then download all the results and sort through the ones that download.........i dont want it taking space for something that doesent even download?????

No other p2p apps do that.

Pedro Estarque
Jun 15, 2003, 07:22 PM
new version, gui still sucks though

http://homepage.mac.com/jul/.cv/jul/Public/mlmac05.sit-link.sit

coolsoldier
Jun 15, 2003, 09:38 PM
OK, v0.5 works for me, so here's my list of pros and cons (as compared to Acquisition, which i have been using for a while):

PROS:
-Great selection of files
-Lots of sources for almost every download
-Fast searches
-Low RAM requirements (as compared to acquisition, which uses almost 1GB of ram while running!)

CONS:
-SLOW downloads (often under 2K/s)
-Not much mac-specific stuff
-Donkey downloads always stall
-Ugly user interface
-MLDonkey (every verson, not just this one) EATS disk space.
-Incomplete downloads don't display as files, and the only way to delete them is to dig in the Application Support folder for the temp filed.

Also, it's worth noting that mlmac is using an outdated version of MLDonkey (uses 2.4, newest version 2.5.3)

My verdict: Might be good for rare files, but for day-to-day use, I'll stick with Acquisition.

MrMacMan
Jun 15, 2003, 09:56 PM
Con-- Acquisition
It uses Gnutella. :(

This is getting okay... but seriously can't we have one good P2P software instead of 10000000 + half baked progs...

Limewire, Acquisition, Neo, giFT, Bit Torrent, the other one Kash? (in this forum), IRC (god damn mac version never works), usenet groups (another mac missed opportunity)

Someone combine forces like iSwipe... (but that is still bbeettaa) :(

coolsoldier
Jun 15, 2003, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by MrMacman
Con-- Acquisition
It uses Gnutella. :(

There's really no problem with Gnutella except that search results take a while coming in. Aquisition has the additional problem of CPU/Memory overhead because it's core uses Java. For the most part though, Gnutella satisfies my needs.

Tyler Durden
Jun 16, 2003, 08:55 AM
I've been using this program version 0.5 for about a day and a half now, and I have run across the same problems many of you have. Whenever you start downloading a file, it creates a temp file of the same size in this directory... home/library/application support/mlmac/mldonkey/temp
I just keep this window open/docked in list view with date created on, and while downloading I watch over it to see what is happening. Sometimes when you cancel a download, the temp file for it stays. So I just quit mlmac, and delete the unneeded temp files and then restart the program. Since last night however, the program is deleting the temp files when the adjacent download is cancelled. Other than this I have had no problems connecting to fastttrack networks, and the downloads have been fast and complete.
I hope this info may be helpful.

Doraemon
Jun 16, 2003, 10:26 AM
Does my donkey have to be runing in order to use it via mlMac?

davy the bunny
Jun 17, 2003, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by Doraemon
Does my donkey have to be runing in order to use it via mlMac?

no, it's got all of that stuff included inside the Application Package. It's as simple as download, drag to Applications (or where ever) and double-click

coolsoldier
Jun 17, 2003, 08:02 PM
Donkey DOES have to be running to use mlMac, it's just that mlMac installs and launches donkey automatically. You can still connect to the donkey in mlMac with your web browser while mlMac is running.

The packaging does have a disadvantage though--it can take a while between the release of a new donkey version and the new version of mlMac. If you are technically adept enough to install donkey yourself, I would recommend a donkey interface that lets you install and use your own version of Donkey.

mac15
Jun 17, 2003, 11:40 PM
I was x11 and now there is no need, this thing is great and you can preview your uh 'shared files'

davy the bunny
Jun 18, 2003, 02:23 PM
Yes it has to be running but you don't have to install mldonkey yourself for mlmac to work. anyway, I just wanted to add that since this thread started mlmac is already at .5 and now I can connect to Kazaa and it doesn't crash quite so often.

Mike Teezie
Jun 18, 2003, 09:20 PM
I just downloaded this, and I am still so fresh to Macs I am not sure I did everything right. All I did was download mIMac, and put its file in my applications folder, and lauched it. I searched for some Incubus stuff, and a bunch of things popped up, so I assume its working correctly? I am trying to download something as a test now, and its stalled, but I understand this is to be expected?

Gymnut
Jun 19, 2003, 02:02 AM
Been using it since Tuesday. I'll admit it's fast whenever it's not crashing. This app crashes like a mutha.

chewbaccapits
Jun 19, 2003, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by Huked on Fonick
...we figured out that mlmac had created 14 gigs worth of stuff in its folder(which can only be accecced through root) (30,000 files worth)

if i where u i wouldent use it till it gets more stable.....

Dude...No wonder I lost so much space!...Thats bs..Never using this RETARTED app again...Just too add, my connection kept dropping because I was hooked on ML servers(constanly having to restart, both cable modemn and mac). I don't know why but I can safely write that my connection NEVER droppped until I started using this app.

coolsoldier
Jun 19, 2003, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by chewbaccapits
I don't know why but I can safely write that my connection NEVER droppped until I started using this app.

Many broadband providers intentionally disconnect FastTrack users because of high bandwidth use and legal purposes. If that happens to you, try using OpenFT or Kazaa/VirtualPC, and if you get connected these places also, then the issue is you isp not application. ISP blocks may also be the case if all of your downloads from a particular network (Donkey, Kazaa, Gnutella, etc.) sit forever "stalled". If your ISP has blocked it, you just have to use something else i guess (or switch isps).

elliotay
Jun 24, 2003, 06:17 PM
Just a heads up. Version 0.6 has been released. Haven't tried it myself yet, but have heard that quite a few errors have been fixed.