PDA

View Full Version : College

BigPrince
Apr 2, 2007, 12:33 AM
I don't think I am going to make it, at least not through Computer Science and Computer Security.

The programming and the calculus is murdering me.

I knew I would have trouble, but I never imagined this. This pales in comparison to high school, which I thought was tough as well.

I would shock/disappoint so many people if I don't stick with it, but right now I have a C in calc and a F in programming. No idea how I am going to make it through or how to get out of it.

FYI: I am a second semester freshmen.

Makes me wish I stuck with something generic like business or Hotel/Restaurant Management.

Teh Don Ditty
Apr 2, 2007, 12:37 AM
I too was in a CSC/CSE Program. I sucked at both the math and the program langauge. I ultimately ended up getting my Bachelor's in Management. Now I'm going for Master's in Accounting because my BBA is worthless without experience.

If you've been studying and going for extra help and can't seem to understand anything, my advice to you is switch majors. Take all the required general education courses and see what else you like until it's time to declare a major.

Best of luck to you!!

katie ta achoo
Apr 2, 2007, 12:40 AM
Hey, business isn't a walk in the park, either! (Well.. not the BUSINESS classes I'm in, it's more the honors requirement classes, but they're fun!)

But, Just buckle down and you can do it. My first semester I didn't do so hot. I'm on my 2nd and doing a lot better.

I've found what helps me is taking notes in class, printing out 2 copies-- one to write all over, and another to put in a binder to review before finals.

Good luck, hon. :)

JNB
Apr 2, 2007, 12:49 AM
I started in 1977 in "Data Processing" (that's what we called it back then), and my first semester in college was four programming languages, inluding COBOL and Fortran (IV or '77, can't remember which), and two others I don't even recall. Maybe Pascal was one...

Anyway, it was obvious in a relatively short period that I basically sucked at programming. Dropping a shoebox full of punch cards didn't improve my motivation, either.

I moved - with all due haste - to a hardware orientation. I still turn screwdrivers, and am a happy, non-neurotic, never institutionalized guy. I never really left the industry (still in the middle of it, to this day), and don't worry that my languages are dead. Things still tighten clockwise, and loosen counterclockwise.

You're going to try a lot of things in school and life; some will pan out, most will be fodder for late night BS sessions in twenty years ("Stan, remember when I..."). Find something that piques your interest, that makes you passionate and excited (other than sorority girls), that makes you study on weekends - for the fun of it, that you just want to do, and never ask what kind of money it will make you.

If you can find that before you graduate, you're already ahead of about 80% of us. Don't worry about "disappointing" anyone. It's your life, and you have to live it.

Abstract
Apr 2, 2007, 04:44 AM
You wanted to major in Comp Sci when you suck at programming?

Don't stick with this. Maybe you'll do better in the future, but it's obviously not the right path for you. I think programming requires a certain type of brain. You don't have it. I don't have it. No big deal. Try something else.

And about business being a generic degree.....well, in a way you're right. However, Comp Sci is getting to that point as well.

BigPrince
Apr 2, 2007, 04:49 AM
Its so hard to decide what to do. I think I might be disowned. lol, at least it feels like i would be if I told my parents I quit at comp sci and comp sec, hotel and restaurant here i come and they'd probably shoot me.

wordmunger
Apr 2, 2007, 05:33 AM
Its so hard to decide what to do. I think I might be disowned. lol, at least it feels like i would be if I told my parents I quit at comp sci and comp sec, hotel and restaurant here i come and they'd probably shoot me.

College isn't about what your family wants you to do, it's about what you want to do. Your family may be disappointed, but they're not the ones living your life. Personally I wouldn't want to major in *either* comp sci *or* hotel/restaurant management -- but then again, I'm not you either.

That's what college is for -- to help you decide who you want to be.

Abstract
Apr 2, 2007, 06:17 AM

Are you Chinese? :p

Do what you want, but this is wrong for you. There's nothing wrong with business as a major, although you don't need to pick either business or hotel management. If you want something more safe and career oriented (which is probably what your parents want you to do, right?), why not choose something like finance, accounting, economics, chemistry, mechanical engineering, or......I don't know. Just avoid computer programming! Surely your parents wouldn't disown you if you were just an economics major, right? My friend graduated with an BA and Masters in economics, and works for an insurance company. Nice little career he has for himself as well.

Father Jack
Apr 2, 2007, 06:31 AM
A friend of mine graduated with an honors degree in Geography. What did he do with his degree? Went to Canada to be a lumberjack. He could not be happier :)

Do what you want .... feck the rest of them.

FJ

applekid
Apr 2, 2007, 07:13 AM
So what do you do if your Calculus sucks and it's holding you back from taking more computer science courses, but your computer programming is completely fine?

Abstract
Apr 2, 2007, 07:30 AM
DeVRY. :p

BigPrince
Apr 2, 2007, 07:33 AM
I decided to drop Calc 2 and concentrate on my programming. I am in the position where I can drop calc 2 and not skip a beat prerequisite wise. I will still be a full time student with it dropped.

I want to continue trying to program, for now.

furcalchick
Apr 2, 2007, 10:56 AM
i thought about changing my biology major several times, but the time i thought most about changing was my first semester in college. what i did was i took an intro class for another major while sticking to my major. i decided to stay with biology as i really enjoyed the subject and things got better. look at me now, graduated with biology degree last december.

but the thing was my family and teachers were pushing me to go to phd school for graduate studies this coming fall, but after a episode of high stress and pressure, involving some lab incidents i will not mention, i decided to forego grad school (at least for now, i could go to grad school in a few years for my masters depending on how things go), but the point is, i decided to get a job with just a bs and experience the real world for a bit before going back to school.

but do listen to your family and teachers as they will have some good advice, but leave the final decision to yourself.

yg17
Apr 2, 2007, 07:00 PM
I was in Comp Sci and I hated it. I switched to Information Sciences and Technology with an emphasis in network engineering and love it. Perhaps you should consider a switch to something else you like more