Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

A PDF Document claiming to be a confidential design document from the Apple iPhone was posted on April 1st, 2007.

The document was posted on April Fools Day, so serious reservations about its credibility exist.

bearbo

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
Apple is so inconsistent with its name... even if it meant to be a joke, they should've still made sure their name read "Apple, Inc" instead of Apple Computer, Inc

ahuman7341

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2005
Fairbanks, AK
First: It refers to Onyx, which i tought was a name for a new GUI that somone made up on the MacRumors forums.

Second: It has an ARM CPU and A GamesEmulator.app. the iPod games already are made for an ARM CPU.

PS: Where did this come from and what is it specifically?

matticus008

macrumors 68040
Jan 16, 2005
Bay Area, CA
Apple is so inconsistent with its name... even if it meant to be a joke, they should've still made sure their name read "Apple, Inc" instead of Apple Computer, Inc
Given that this would be a production document from the iPhone development process, "Apple Computer" would indeed be the name on the bottom.

That aside, this is pretty straightforward. There's nothing really surprising here, except the supposed "game emulator" app. This is a sort of sloppy flow chart, as far as such things go, and so I wouldn't lean too heavily on it.

Xapplimatic

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2001
California
(rolls eyes)

Even if it's a real document (mind you Apple, Inc was Apple Computer, Inc. before the iPhone was finished or released so that take doesn't mean much).. it's a fairly uneventful document as it doesn't really disclose anything meaningful or anything we don't already know about the iPhone in my view.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Nothing very surprising, so if it's a joke it's a pointless one.

"Radio" isn't new, since mobile phones do use radio waves.

ARM isn't new--that's been believed (though not confirmed) for some time.

And games aren't surprising--if iPods have them, surely the more-capable iPhone will.

Games EMULATION could be a shred of news--a way for iPod games to also run on the iPhone, which is nice for the customer. (But iPhone-only games may also be expected.)

However, I can see the emulation having pretty poor control, compared to customizing each game FOR iPhone, so I can see them scrapping that feature too.

Mtn Tamale

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2004
Denver, CO
h.264 DSP

I think the h.264 dsp is pretty significant. Perhaps a harbinger of that other rumor about all new macs getting h.264 dedicated chips in them by the end of the year....

matticus008

macrumors 68040
Jan 16, 2005
Bay Area, CA
"Radio" isn't new, since mobile phones do use radio waves.
"Radio" is the name of the hardware that provides cellular phone operations. It doesn't have anything to do directly with 'radio' in the colloquial sense (i.e. AM/FM), and it doesn't have anything to do with radio waves, as cell phones operate in the microwave band.

Mydriasis

macrumors 6502
Mar 17, 2005
I think it very well could be real, but there is nothing new or surprising on it so :rolleyes: .

maler

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2002
Praha, Czech republic
Modification Date 09/01/06
Title Aloha Module Overview
Content Creator OmniGraffle Professional
PDF Producer Mac OS X 10.4.8 Build 8L2112 Quartz PDFContext
Creation Date 09/01/06
Author Bertrand Serlet

This si funny. Some top guy from Apple, working on pre-release version of system :).

ClimbingTheLog

macrumors 6502a
May 21, 2003
Modification Date 09/01/06
This si funny. Some top guy from Apple, working on pre-release version of system :).

Apple pushes their beta pretty widely in-house, and the dates look about right for the 10.4.8 seed. This would have been a huge scoop last September, but by today it's just something to nod at - it looks right, but many of us here could have done a fake. I say there's no point in doing a fake about nothing new, so it's probably real.

crudsponge

macrumors member
Aug 2, 2005
Detroit
Aloha Registered

Apple registered Aloha back in 2004 in Hong Kong. This was posted on This site a year ago.

Friday March 17, 2006 03:24 PM EST
Posted by arn

Research analyst firm PiperJaffray informed clients that they expected that Apple would release an Apple branded cell phone in the next 12 months.
Additionally, we believe Apple will benefit from the new Intel-based Mac's, along with what we estimate to be a 75 percent chance of a iPhone in the next 12 months."

Rumors of an Apple-branded phone has been ongoing for years. The rumors have slowed down since the release of the Motorola iTunes-capable phone.

Apple trademarked Mobile Me earlier this year, which many have felt could be related to a phone service. Meanwhile, Apple has also filed a trademark for the term Aloha in Hong Kong. This trademark was filed back in December 22, 2004 and based on the classification may simply have been an alternative name for Apple's Bonjour technology but the trademark categories also cover a broad range of devices.

https://www.macrumors.com/2006/03/17/apple-mobile-phone-soon-aloha-trademark/

Ysean

macrumors member
Nov 22, 2003
Huh? Something just flew over your head.

"Radio" is the name of the hardware that provides cellular phone operations. It doesn't have anything to do directly with 'radio' in the colloquial sense (i.e. AM/FM), and it doesn't have anything to do with radio waves, as cell phones operate in the microwave band.

Are you trying to make people feel stupid? A microwave IS a RADIO wave. I do believe the post you replied to knew exactly what he was talking about and you took it otherwise.

Clive At Five

macrumors 65816
May 26, 2004
St. Paul, MN
One of the things that interests me most is the look of the document. Now I haven't tinkered around in Pages much, but are these flow-chart boxes available? Could this be a new Pages feature or some sort of "Visio" competitor?

-Clive

Scottyk9

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2004
Canada
One of the things that interests me most is the look of the document. Now I haven't tinkered around in Pages much, but are these flow-chart boxes available? Could this be a new Pages feature or some sort of "Visio" competitor?

-Clive

If you "get info", you can see that the document was created by omnigraffle professional.

matticus008

macrumors 68040
Jan 16, 2005
Bay Area, CA
Are you trying to make people feel stupid? A microwave IS a RADIO wave. I do believe the post you replied to knew exactly what he was talking about and you took it otherwise.
Maybe before you get all hot and bothered you could stop to consider that my post was merely a clarification and not an attack.

But if I wanted to make you feel stupid, I would point out that microwaves are NOT radio waves any more than X rays are radio waves or infrared wavelengths are radio waves. They're both EM radiation, and all EM bands overlap, if that's what you're going for. Mobile phones operate in the S band, which is beyond the radio limit (UHF) and in the microwave spectrum. And I would do it all with an aggressive tone and begin with an inflammatory question. Maybe you should check your hypocrisy meter.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.